• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

BrawijayaV

Heir of Majapahit
29 Badges
Nov 27, 2011
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Divine Wind
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
This is pretty much my first AAR, and indeed my first post, so, here we are... I'm probably going to lose, but I'll record my game. This is by no far my first game,
but this is my first game with a weak unciv. I already have experience with other Paradox games. I chose this nation because I'm Javanese (more precisely, of
Majapahit descent, but that's in EUIII), and because it is a releasable country in Indonesia which seems in a good position (once belonged to a relatively technologically advanced nation, which means it
also has those technologies; Starts with a large (and luckily more literate than its neighbors, because of the previous factor)
population, and has good resources; etc.)

So, back to the AAR...

HOUSE RULES:
-NO RELOADS. Except for crashes. This means this AAR might abruptly end because of a bad decision which caused me to get annexed.
-No cheating. (I haven't done that in a Paradox game in ages!)

Beginnings of an Empire

In the year 1836, the Dutch decided to free the Javan kingdom. With knowledge from the previous conquerors, Java began to develop at an instant...
v22b.png

A few days later, the King (or sultan?) of Java decided to change the technology being researched...
v23h.png

And because of its strong resources, Java can sustain a thriving economy without sacrificing education, crime fighting and lower-than-high tax rates...
v21.png

Bali offers an alliance. The King of Java wishes to conquer it in the future, so naturally Java declines. Also, Java has no soldiers, so, as you can see, new ones are being trained...
v24r.png

Unfortunately, budget deficits occurred, so tariffs were raised in order to increase funds without increasing taxes...
v25e.png

Dutch-style forts are being built in the capital of Batavia (or Jaya-Karta, as the locals call it) and Jogjakarta (or Yogyakarta),
while naval bases are being built everywhere else. Income is steady, but a few lows may occur, such as the one previously mentioned.
Bali tried in several attempts to create an alliance, which obviously are rejected. On January 18, 1837, Holstein goes bankrupt, giving Java
a reason for war (i.e. a casus belli). The King of Java is doubtful of this, since he has not a navy to carry soldiers, which, in themselves,
do not exist yet as well. Little to no progress is being done on the training of soldiers, because small arms are (trying) to get attained.

This is all for now. Next one coming soon...

On a side note: How come a nation doesn't get puppetized after released? That always happened on EUIII and HOI2. That does open opportunities though.

Nice... it's always great to see AARs about non-European nations!

I think that the game would be better if you use the latest version of the PDM mod though, it avoids absurd things to happen and i think has Java already an independent state (i don't remember well, might be Aceh). Plus, other things.

"I proudly say that I'm the descendant of a Majapahit King" Really? Then, make your ancestor proud... i'll be following this AAR. Kick the Dutch out of Indonesia! :D

It does become a satellite or dominion, it is only released as an independent state if you choose the "play as" option, which was introduced in 1.2

Also, why didn't you research ideological thought?

It does become a satellite or dominion, it is only released as an independent state if you choose the "play as" option, which was introduced in 1.2

Also, why didn't you research ideological thought?

Because I wanted higher education:eek:o

Developing an Army

The king decided that the training of soldiers would go nowhere fast, so he ordered a shipment of weapons...
v27.png

The King of Java has just remembered, a wise decision would be to increase relations with Great Britain, lest provoke the great beast which it is...
v28.png

Java allied with Brunei, in case of attacks by other nations. The King of Java canceled the training of soliders,
because they were going no-where fast. That is because small arms could not be attained for the soldiers. In fact,
supplies were so hard to attain that even a single irregular brigade could not be trained! Of course, economic, technologic
and educational growth are the primary concern for any nation in Peacetime. A few months later, the King of Java sent a diplomat
to France, increasing relations, since France could potentially become a very powerful nation (in fact, in the #1 zone). Later, Johore
asks for an alliance. Java accepts. Hopefully, it will be a productive alliance... (Probably not. At least it won't attack me, though)
Small arms were finally available for Java to purchase, but by doing so, created a huge budget loss. It was rectified by increased tariffs
and taxes. Once the required amount of small arms were purchased, budget came back to normal.

Soon after the first brigade was trained, many more followed...
v211.png

Right after the first wave of soldiers got trained, many more became available...
v212.png

The First Conquests

The long anticipated conquest of Bali has begun, as Java declares war on Bali...
v213t.png

The Balinese cowards run away instead of futilely (though bravely) defending their homeland. They know of our might...
v214n.png

The battle of Lombok occurs...
v215c.png
v216.png

Bali was easily defeated, bringing a large population, and, more importantly, a new region, into the Javan Kingdom...
v217n.png

The world in 1843

To Tame a Wild Beast

In the months following the Balinese war, a major outbreak of Influenza occurred. The King of Java chose to help fight the outbreak,
even if it meant losing much money, since Java has more than enough...
v218.png

Then, the Javanese tired of western foreigners on Javanese shores, giving it a cause of war (casus belli). Though it may help
attain much sought-after prestige, without incurring a decrease in reputation, the King of Java decides not to declare war upon the Netherlands...
v219t.png

Instead, he orders his men to attack Kutch. After occupying its only province, the King of Java decides not to declare peace yet, since he wants to
declare war on Sindh next, believing it would be a swift war. It was, and so Java humiliated both nations on the same day...
v223.png

Recruitment is very high in Java. So high, that almost half of the people in Probolinggo are soldiers...
v226.png

Another outbreak of disease occurs. In this case, it is an outbreak of Typhoid. Better quarantine the state instead of infecting more people...
v227.png

On a side note: -I seem to play this game for the AAR, instead of making this AAR for this game. That doesn't sound to good...
-Do you want to know why Java is so rich? Why don't we sit down and have a cup of Java with me...

The Western Storm

The King of Java soon realizes that its military is higher than the Netherlands...
scaled.php

Then, on September 24, 1849, Java must choose between keeping in silent secrecy, or being open to western powers.
The King of Java decides to follow the western storm...
v220.png

By and by, the ruling ideology is slowly being ousted out, but it still keeps strong. Then, a year later, Steamships were developed.
On September 12, 1851, Lübeck goes bankrupt, but a war against them would be futile, since it is protected by Prussia. Soon, Prussia
sends a military mission, bringing modern weaponry and military technology, at the expense of an angered populace...
v221.png

A month later after that, France sends its own wave of western ideas, when its people arrived in Semarang...
v222h.png

Then, on March 26, 1853, Java attained knowledge on modern medicine...
v2232.png

The American Civil War starts on April 1st, 1853...
v2242.png

Again, Prussia sends another military expedition, increasing Java's research capabilities. Heredity is researched, making it possible for the
population to grow (Java's liferating is a slightly low 30, which makes a huge difference). Then, Idealism is discovered, giving a great boon for research...
v2252.png

On January 28th, Bremen goes bankrupt, but it is protected by Prussia and is far away. Soon after that, the French arrive in Bali, bringing in
western knowledge. A little later, the Russians do the same, arriving in Jogjakarta (Yogyakarta). Just a few months in the future, a new type of
weapon, the Breech-loaded Rifle, was developed...
v2262.png

The Javan King soon realizes that the Netherlands have the most powerful countries in the world as their allies, which makes uniting Nusantara a bad idea...
v2272.png

A new form of art was developed, called Romanticist Art. Some of the greatest artists and writers in all of Java published their work, giving prestige bonuses
to the country. Java broke its alliance with Johore, because a year later, in December 28, 1861, Java declared war on Johore, to gain its precious metal reserves.
Nearing the conquest of Johore, Empiricism was developed in Java. Then, on June 11, 1863, Johore was annexed by the Kingdom of Java...
v228.png

A chain reaction occured afterwards on the same day, as follows:
Java's prestige raised from conquering Johore, enough to initialize westernization...
v229.png

Which, after that, allowed Java to sign the Geneva convention, in which it did.

On a side note: Some hours ago, my dad found an old manual typewriter (Indonesian in origin I suppose, because it has "Rp" on it). I made a log using the typewriter,
so I made this chapter of the AAR in good-old fashioned late Victorian era style (the typewriter had plastic on it, though, so it isn't that old).

Wow, impressively early Westernisation.

It isn't all that hard to Westernise as Java, since they start with all five prerequisite techs. ;)
Even if not, I would still probably get it pretty fast, since about 30% of my population is literate right now (Not much of a difference, but it's the clergymen who count).

I didn't know uncivs could have foreign troops train their own - are you playing a mod?

What do you mean by foreign troops?

I had for months planned to do a Java AAR but you beat me to it. Besides I also need to wrap up my Serbian game first of all :excl:

Will be following this with great interest.

A few questions:
1. is this v1.4?
2. any mods?
3. annexing Johore, Bali - isn't the cost 20 infamy for each or did you have a valid cb?

EDIT: Can you post a map of your realm, please?

I had for months planned to do a Java AAR but you beat me to it. Besides I also need to wrap up my Serbian game first of all :excl:

Will be following this with great interest.

A few questions:
1. is this v1.4?
2. any mods?
3. annexing Johore, Bali - isn't the cost 20 infamy for each or did you have a valid cb?

EDIT: Can you post a map of your realm, please?

I'll be answering your dire questions, yessir!

1. It's 1.3, mind you, unless they are the same
2. No mods here bro
3. No CB, no siree!
(4.) Uh-oh, I forgot how to do that!

As I seem to be saying a lot, F11 takes a screenshot, F12 the world map, and shift-f12 you and your satellites.