+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Karaton Jawa, a Java AAR

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2
    Mount & Blade: Warband500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

At my court in Trowulan, Majapahit Empire

Karaton Jawa, a Java AAR

This is pretty much my first AAR, and indeed my first post, so, here we are... I'm probably going to lose, but I'll record my game. This is by no far my first game,
    but this is my first game with a weak unciv. I already have experience with other Paradox games. I chose this nation because I'm Javanese (more precisely, of
    Majapahit descent, but that's in EUIII), and because it is a releasable country in Indonesia which seems in a good position (once belonged to a relatively technologically advanced nation, which means it
    also has those technologies; Starts with a large (and luckily more literate than its neighbors, because of the previous factor)
    population, and has good resources; etc.)

So, back to the AAR...

HOUSE RULES:
    -NO RELOADS. Except for crashes. This means this AAR might abruptly end because of a bad decision which caused me to get annexed.
    -No cheating. (I haven't done that in a Paradox game in ages!)

Beginnings of an Empire

In the year 1836, the Dutch decided to free the Javan kingdom. With knowledge from the previous conquerors, Java began to develop at an instant...

A few days later, the King (or sultan?) of Java decided to change the technology being researched...

And because of its strong resources, Java can sustain a thriving economy without sacrificing education, crime fighting and lower-than-high tax rates...

Bali offers an alliance. The King of Java wishes to conquer it in the future, so naturally Java declines. Also, Java has no soldiers, so, as you can see, new ones are being trained...

Unfortunately, budget deficits occurred, so tariffs were raised in order to increase funds without increasing taxes...

Dutch-style forts are being built in the capital of Batavia (or Jaya-Karta, as the locals call it) and Jogjakarta (or Yogyakarta),
    while naval bases are being built everywhere else. Income is steady, but a few lows may occur, such as the one previously mentioned.
    Bali tried in several attempts to create an alliance, which obviously are rejected. On January 18, 1837, Holstein goes bankrupt, giving Java
    a reason for war (i.e. a casus belli). The King of Java is doubtful of this, since he has not a navy to carry soldiers, which, in themselves,
    do not exist yet as well. Little to no progress is being done on the training of soldiers, because small arms are (trying) to get attained.

This is all for now. Next one coming soon...

On a side note: How come a nation doesn't get puppetized after released? That always happened on EUIII and HOI2. That does open opportunities though.

Old AARs: Java Majapahit
    Did you know: I'm the rightful emperor of Majapahit? Like, I have royal genes within me

"I like to paint the map red" -Cecil Rhodes

Crusader Kings IIRome GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Nice... it's always great to see AARs about non-European nations!

I think that the game would be better if you use the latest version of the PDM mod though, it avoids absurd things to happen and i think has Java already an independent state (i don't remember well, might be Aceh). Plus, other things.

"I proudly say that I'm the descendant of a Majapahit King" Really? Then, make your ancestor proud... i'll be following this AAR. Kick the Dutch out of Indonesia!

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the MotherlandVictoria: Revolutions
    Rome GoldSword of the StarsVictoria II: A House DividedMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the Arcane
    Pride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Interesting start ... brave choice as you are a rather popular target for the evil European colonialists

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    It does become a satellite or dominion, it is only released as an independent state if you choose the "play as" option, which was introduced in 1.2

Also, why didn't you research ideological thought?
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

I did a few tinkerings with Java before, as soon as you can westernise it is an industrial beast the dutch could only dream of with all the primary culture pops around.
    War! because football matters - Serbian AAR
    Stuck in the Middle - Central America AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    It does become a satellite or dominion, it is only released as an independent state if you choose the "play as" option, which was introduced in 1.2

Also, why didn't you research ideological thought?
    Because I wanted higher education

Did you know: I'm the rightful emperor of Majapahit? Like, I have royal genes within me

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

I had a good game as Java. Ended up colonising East Africa (there's a challenge for you).

Developing an Army

The king decided that the training of soldiers would go nowhere fast, so he ordered a shipment of weapons...

The King of Java has just remembered, a wise decision would be to increase relations with Great Britain, lest provoke the great beast which it is...

Java allied with Brunei, in case of attacks by other nations. The King of Java canceled the training of soliders,
    because they were going no-where fast. That is because small arms could not be attained for the soldiers. In fact,
    supplies were so hard to attain that even a single irregular brigade could not be trained! Of course, economic, technologic
    and educational growth are the primary concern for any nation in Peacetime. A few months later, the King of Java sent a diplomat
    to France, increasing relations, since France could potentially become a very powerful nation (in fact, in the #1 zone). Later, Johore
    asks for an alliance. Java accepts. Hopefully, it will be a productive alliance... (Probably not. At least it won't attack me, though)
    Small arms were finally available for Java to purchase, but by doing so, created a huge budget loss. It was rectified by increased tariffs
    and taxes. Once the required amount of small arms were purchased, budget came back to normal.

Soon after the first brigade was trained, many more followed...

Right after the first wave of soldiers got trained, many more became available...

The First Conquests

The long anticipated conquest of Bali has begun, as Java declares war on Bali...

The Balinese cowards run away instead of futilely (though bravely) defending their homeland. They know of our might...

The battle of Lombok occurs...

Bali was easily defeated, bringing a large population, and, more importantly, a new region, into the Javan Kingdom...

The world in 1843

To Tame a Wild Beast

In the months following the Balinese war, a major outbreak of Influenza occurred. The King of Java chose to help fight the outbreak,
    even if it meant losing much money, since Java has more than enough...

Then, the Javanese tired of western foreigners on Javanese shores, giving it a cause of war (casus belli). Though it may help
    attain much sought-after prestige, without incurring a decrease in reputation, the King of Java decides not to declare war upon the Netherlands...

Instead, he orders his men to attack Kutch. After occupying its only province, the King of Java decides not to declare peace yet, since he wants to
    declare war on Sindh next, believing it would be a swift war. It was, and so Java humiliated both nations on the same day...

Recruitment is very high in Java. So high, that almost half of the people in Probolinggo are soldiers...

Another outbreak of disease occurs. In this case, it is an outbreak of Typhoid. Better quarantine the state instead of infecting more people...

On a side note: -I seem to play this game for the AAR, instead of making this AAR for this game. That doesn't sound to good...
    -Do you want to know why Java is so rich? Why don't we sit down and have a cup of Java with me...

The Western Storm

The King of Java soon realizes that its military is higher than the Netherlands...

Then, on September 24, 1849, Java must choose between keeping in silent secrecy, or being open to western powers.
    The King of Java decides to follow the western storm...

By and by, the ruling ideology is slowly being ousted out, but it still keeps strong. Then, a year later, Steamships were developed.
    On September 12, 1851, Lübeck goes bankrupt, but a war against them would be futile, since it is protected by Prussia. Soon, Prussia
    sends a military mission, bringing modern weaponry and military technology, at the expense of an angered populace...

A month later after that, France sends its own wave of western ideas, when its people arrived in Semarang...

Then, on March 26, 1853, Java attained knowledge on modern medicine...

The American Civil War starts on April 1st, 1853...

Again, Prussia sends another military expedition, increasing Java's research capabilities. Heredity is researched, making it possible for the
    population to grow (Java's liferating is a slightly low 30, which makes a huge difference). Then, Idealism is discovered, giving a great boon for research...

On January 28th, Bremen goes bankrupt, but it is protected by Prussia and is far away. Soon after that, the French arrive in Bali, bringing in
    western knowledge. A little later, the Russians do the same, arriving in Jogjakarta (Yogyakarta). Just a few months in the future, a new type of
    weapon, the Breech-loaded Rifle, was developed...

The Javan King soon realizes that the Netherlands have the most powerful countries in the world as their allies, which makes uniting Nusantara a bad idea...

A new form of art was developed, called Romanticist Art. Some of the greatest artists and writers in all of Java published their work, giving prestige bonuses
    to the country. Java broke its alliance with Johore, because a year later, in December 28, 1861, Java declared war on Johore, to gain its precious metal reserves.
    Nearing the conquest of Johore, Empiricism was developed in Java. Then, on June 11, 1863, Johore was annexed by the Kingdom of Java...

A chain reaction occured afterwards on the same day, as follows:
    Java's prestige raised from conquering Johore, enough to initialize westernization...

Which, after that, allowed Java to sign the Geneva convention, in which it did.

On a side note: Some hours ago, my dad found an old manual typewriter (Indonesian in origin I suppose, because it has "Rp" on it). I made a log using the typewriter,
    so I made this chapter of the AAR in good-old fashioned late Victorian era style (the typewriter had plastic on it, though, so it isn't that old).

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2

Wow, impressively early Westernisation.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonComple View Post
    Wow, impressively early Westernisation.
    It isn't all that hard to Westernise as Java, since they start with all five prerequisite techs.
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War

Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    It isn't all that hard to Westernise as Java, since they start with all five prerequisite techs.
    Even if not, I would still probably get it pretty fast, since about 30% of my population is literate right now (Not much of a difference, but it's the clergymen who count).

People's Commissar of the Navy Demi Moderator Avindian's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneLeviathan: Warships
    March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Sword of the Stars IISupreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Very interesting idea, and a very nice start!
    AARland Awards TsAAR -- 1st quarter ACAs for 2014 underway!

Japan or Bust (probably bust) An Uesugi CoP AAR -- Brand new!
    Sonderweg oder Anderweg? -- Part 3 of the Hohenzollerns Megacampaign -- Interactive and looking for players
    Tukhachevsky's Army and the Politburo -- an Interactive Soviet TFH AAR -- Updates|Administration -- In progress
    Like what you see? Check out my Inkwell for awards and completed AARs!

If I use this color, I am speaking as a Demi-Mod. If you have any questions, please PM me directly. Forum Rules|Interactive AARs|AARland Rules #1|AARland Rules #2|EvW Missile Silo - check before posting!

El Presidente of Tropico & etc Ivir Baggins's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHeir to the Throne

Shame about the Ducth. Oh well, there'll be time when you can unite Indonesia. Have you attacked Atjeh yet?
    "Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe." - Psalm 108:9

I have a YouTube channel!

Happy new year everyone! I'll post the next chapter quite soon... Selamat tahun baru! for those who can speak Indonesian...

I didn't know uncivs could have foreign troops train their own - are you playing a mod?

Quote Originally Posted by ncm View Post
    I didn't know uncivs could have foreign troops train their own - are you playing a mod?
    What do you mean by foreign troops?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

I had for months planned to do a Java AAR but you beat me to it. Besides I also need to wrap up my Serbian game first of all

Will be following this with great interest.

A few questions:
    1. is this v1.4?
    2. any mods?
    3. annexing Johore, Bali - isn't the cost 20 infamy for each or did you have a valid cb?

EDIT: Can you post a map of your realm, please?
    My AAR's:
    -------------
    I would rather fight an alliance than be part of one - Napoleon
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by gremlok View Post
    I had for months planned to do a Java AAR but you beat me to it. Besides I also need to wrap up my Serbian game first of all

Will be following this with great interest.

A few questions:
    1. is this v1.4?
    2. any mods?
    3. annexing Johore, Bali - isn't the cost 20 infamy for each or did you have a valid cb?

EDIT: Can you post a map of your realm, please?
    I'll be answering your dire questions, yessir!

1. It's 1.3, mind you, unless they are the same
    2. No mods here bro
    3. No CB, no siree!
    (4.) Uh-oh, I forgot how to do that!

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedCK2: Holy Knight
    500k club

As I seem to be saying a lot, F11 takes a screenshot, F12 the world map, and shift-f12 you and your satellites.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast