• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You probably remember that I had some scratched of tech tree for the CW! I've for a long time been playing around with an idea of making a real tech tree, instead of the linear tech branches of DH. If you want, I can use these ideas for CW!

Some of my ideas:
* The amount of available technologies grows--at first, the tree is narrow, but after researching some important 'root' techs there comes a growing number of options, some of which lock other options.
* Tanks come in play rather late, so there's some need for cavalry too.
* Player can specialize by developing improvements instead of just new models.
* To boost the progress in smaller nations, some technologies may give free IC and money, instead of just plain percentual bonuses which clearly benefits large nations more than the small nations.

As for the map, as there's no need to keep on historical borders, I suggest making every province roughly of the same size and shape. If every province borders six other provinces (of course there must be exceptions, especially on the coast), the warfare becomes more interesting and realistic as there can be no exploits.

Another idea: how about adding 'Antarctis', a very southern stripe of land, which would have winter always? No industry or population, but high resources?

To prevent making it very inaccessible it should still be 'island', i.e. not meeting the southern border of the map. Or should it? :D

Last edited:
As for the map, as there's no need to keep on historical borders, I suggest making every province roughly of the same size and shape

But then the borders will look too smooth, too artificial. Kinda like US-Canada border - totally lame. Needs Europe-like provs for more realism.

But then the borders will look too smooth, too artificial. Kinda like US-Canada border - totally lame. Needs Europe-like provs for more realism.

They need not to be just hexes or completely straight. I meant something like this:

2nb64ns.png

As you see, every province (except the border provinces) has exactly 6 neighbours.

The six prov rule comes not only from the AI thing, but also from the fact that if some provinces border more provinces than the others, player can exploit that. And that sucks. Provinces can be shaped 'realistically' and still always have six neighbours.

You probably remember that I had some scratched of tech tree for the CW! I've for a long time been playing around with an idea of making a real tech tree, instead of the linear tech branches of DH. If you want, I can use these ideas for CW!
Of course I do and I still am interested in your tech tree.

Some of my ideas:
* The amount of available technologies grows--at first, the tree is narrow, but after researching some important 'root' techs there comes a growing number of options, some of which lock other options.
* Tanks come in play rather late, so there's some need for cavalry too.
* Player can specialize by developing improvements instead of just new models.
* To boost the progress in smaller nations, some technologies may give free IC and money, instead of just plain percentual bonuses which clearly benefits large nations more than the small nations.
Please proceed. :)

As for the map, as there's no need to keep on historical borders, I suggest making every province roughly of the same size and shape. If every province borders six other provinces (of course there must be exceptions, especially on the coast), the warfare becomes more interesting and realistic as there can be no exploits.
The historical borders of Cifrasia will be kept, they only will be made less smooth. I'll see in the number, size and shape of the provinces later... but they already were like what you want in CW.

To prevent making it very inaccessible it should still be 'island', i.e. not meeting the southern border of the map. Or should it? :D
I'd rather make it meet the pole and make it completely devoid of any life. However, nothing is final yet.

It would be nice if diplomacy AI was flexible enough to allow different alliances from one game to another.
I'm sure it would. The only (tiny) problem is that I don't know how to mod AI scripts, so I'll ask for your or somebody else's advice when I finally get my hands on the AI. :)

They need not to be just hexes or completely straight. I meant something like this:
As you see, every province (except the border provinces) has exactly 6 neighbours.
Yep, CW's provs have already been like this. However, I will start anew.

Yep, that's an ideal. Well, sort of.

Last edited:
I know about 6 prov rule. It's just they look really artificial. I mean what is this? Too smooth, too unrealistic borders.
Nah, it's just me sucking at mapmaking. :D
I'll try to make CC's provinces less smooth and more «realistic». You can compare and see that I've already changed Cifrasia's shape.

The six prov rule comes not only from the AI thing, but also from the fact that if some provinces border more provinces than the others, player can exploit that. And that sucks. Provinces can be shaped 'realistically' and still always have six neighbours.
Yep, DH map guarantees it.

You will not add all the new landmass I suggested last time?
(a mini japan and india continent with lots of islands between this and cifrasia)
I don't think so. There's already much landmass to be added, you see.

Here's a WIP map of Cifrasia and Artania continents, with draft rivers. Darker borders are the starting ones, lighter are possible border changes and the lightest are province-level divisions of some countries.

Click to enlarge.

Nice to see a dedicated member back on the forum. The mod looks cool, hope it will bear fruit

It's time for another WIP map!

Some countries added to the westernmost landmass, while internal borders of some Cifrasian nations defined:

Click to enlarge.

I decided to forget rivers for now and add them later, when the province layout is finalized.