• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darrigan

Colonel
57 Badges
May 22, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka 2: Ice, Death and Fury
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Deus Vult
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 - Second Wave
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
Hi there!

Recently this idea popped into my head. Why don't we have multiple people play a single campaign? And by that I don't mean online campaigns.
No, the idea is that someone starts a campaign with a certain character, but when the character dies, the player saves the game and sends it to someone else, who would then continue the game with the heir/new king. When that character dies, he sends that savegame to yet another player.

This way a new king also means a new real person. Players would really inherit a situation over which they did not have any influence.

I was wondering if the community is interested in something like this. Let me know :)

UPDATE:

Release is getting closer, so time to dig this thread up again and get it going.

I'm looking for 6 players (+ me = 7). I'd also like their prefered starting character.

I personally am not so fond of Byzantium...

Player-pool so far:

* Darrigan: Anything, preferably a non-Byzantine character
* Archam: Navarra
* Furga: No preference
* Olvirki: A Breton, Welsh, Irish, Scottish, Norwegian, Swedish or an Anglo-Saxon character
* TMA_Cool: Anything. Preferably something close to Muslim-held regions.
* Valiant_Hogers: Something reconquista-ish
* xcrissxcrossx: Anything

Back-up players:

* The Miracle
* laremi
* Valvinar

Please note that the player-pool is full. You can still apply, but you will be added to the back-up list.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, but maybe the next player could participate before the death of the old ruler if the heir gets a landed (non-baron) title.

I'm willing to participe within a groud of max three or four players. It would be easier to play this way then multiplayer, as everyone can play when time fits him.

A briefing on plans between Ruler and heir will be needed to explain the plans the ruler is working on.

I'm willing to participe within a groud of max three or four players. It would be easier to play this way then multiplayer, as everyone can play when time fits him.

A briefing on plans between Ruler and heir will be needed to explain the plans the ruler is working on.

I agree, it would be nice but for no more than 5 players !
And with random "shuffle" rotation, so you won't always play after the same person (and it could happen that you play twice as well) !

five people sounds a lot to me, but we have to try out. A shuffle rotation wouldn't be great as you can been left out for too long and losing interest.

Just a great idea popped in my head. what about this:

We keep tracked on the days you have ruled, and the one with the lowest number of days will be the heir. This means that if your character dies within a few years you will be the heir very soon, and if your character lives a 60 years, it will take some time, to become heir again. This way everyone gets the 'same'' amount of playtime, and not the same person after you. (of course not playing twice in a row).

Willem IV said:
I'm not sure if it works, but it sounds like a nice idea.
Why wouldn't it work? just save the game and send the savefile to another player :)

PreXident said:
Sounds interesting, but maybe the next player could participate before the death of the old ruler if the heir gets a landed (non-baron) title.
But then you'll have to play online, which leads to the eternal problem of 'who can play when?' It could be done if all players agree on it, though :)

Willem IV said:

We keep tracked on the days you have ruled, and the one with the lowest number of days will be the heir. This means that if your character dies within a few years you will be the heir very soon, and if your character lives a 60 years, it will take some time, to become heir again. This way everyone gets the 'same'' amount of playtime, and not the same person after you. (of course not playing twice in a row).

Good idea, but then if 4 players each ruled for 30 years, and the fifth one dies after one year, he gets to play again? When if that second king dies within a year as well. Does he get to play once again? I don't really like the idea of playing twice in a row. The whole point is to let a new ruler be controled by another player, so that it actually is a different person, with a different personality and attitude.

That's a great idea, of course it's a little unfair to those who will rule only one or two year, but that's the game ! And pass to MP if the king decide to "introduce the heir" would be fun !

Good idea, but then if 4 players each ruled for 30 years, and the fifth one dies after one year, he gets to play again? When if that second king dies within a year as well. Does he get to play once again? I don't really like the idea of playing twice in a row. The whole point is to let a new ruler be controled by another player, so that it actually is a different person, with a different personality and attitude.

no, it would be player A (28 year), player B (31y), player C (30y), player D (1y), player A (16 + 28 = 44y), player D (1 + 1 = 2y), player C (30 + 30 = 60y), player D (16 + 2 = 18y) and then player B again.

In this setup player C plays 3 times, and the order isn't the same. And everybody gets enough time to play

That's a great idea, of course it's a little unfair to those who will rule only one or two year, but that's the game ! And pass to MP if the king decide to "introduce the heir" would be fun !

But if the ruler (player A) gives lands to his heir (player B) and the heir dies before the ruler does player C play the if the ruler gives land to his heir or if the ruler dies ?

And btw, another fun game mode would be to have a gavelkind realm, f.e. a duchy in Wales. If player A dies and he was not able to form a kingdom and chance the succession laws the duchy is split between between his 3 sons (since the ruler I imagined had 3 sons) and players B, C and D each take over one part of the duchy. It would be fun for those 3 players to fight among each other for the control of the duchy. And of course it is likely someone would eventually manage to become a king and chance the succession to a law that does not split the lands between the heirs.

Well this definetly sounds like a fun idea; Tis something that sounds like I'd want to do. So if this ever comes to fruition I'd love to have a shot at it.
Oh! And can we turn this into an AAR? So that each "Chapter" is written by that player therefore the writting style changes just for fun.
Thats my 2 cents.

I believe there was an AAR for EU III in which each player just played until the current monarch died. You don't even have to rotate if you find enough people. You can even recruit new participants after the AAR has started, as long as you have a waiting list with enough players on it.

I believe there was an AAR for EU III in which each player just played until the current monarch died. You don't even have to rotate if you find enough people. You can even recruit new participants after the AAR has started, as long as you have a waiting list with enough players on it.

Yes, but if there's too many people, it would be impossible to get into the feeling, and fully appreciate the game. By playing only once, you will have much less fun. And it would be really unfair if your ruler dies young. Besides, that would leave a lot of space to trolls, while it would be much more interesting if people could think in perspective, even if they won't entirely have control of what's happening !

I would really like to take command of a character and play for him. Some (not me) would even be sneaky and turn some characters into something else. That seems like a very good idea idea for CKII indeed.

Sounds great! I would play such a game.

Also this.