• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

sauron_33

Staff Chief Engineer
125 Badges
May 4, 2006
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Ancient Space
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
Hi all (and especially to the Developers):

I am not sure if this has been covered yet, but I am curious if AHD will (in addition to changing prestige for naval battles) open up more variety to the late game naval mechanics.

Specifically the following:
1) Carriers and submarines (subs perhaps giving a blockade advantage beyond what normal ships due, as well as being harder to detect - I don't recall offhand if ships have a recon stat in V2; I'm inclined to think not).
2) Naval Arms Races (perhaps an event saying "Oh no, our biggest rival is building dreadnoughts we should too" - and maybe prestige/mil score should scale based upon how far ahead of other powers you are in this regard?)
3) In following item 2, naval treaties to limit said arms races, with prestige/infamy benefits/hits based upon whether or not you sign, and adhere to the agreements.

Despite the lack of decisive naval warfare in the time frame of 1906-1936, I'm sure I don't need to give a history lesson to talk about the importance of the arms race between Britain and Germany prior to WWI and the naval treaties and carrier advances after the war.

Thanks for reading.

If you have carriers, you'll need naval airplanes, and you may even need to allow army airplanes to move into the ocean(which is not that hard, but probably too radical a shift).

Mil score is already based on that: in fact, each dreadnought gives 20 MIL score, which is why dreadnought spam is prevalent.

The limitations are good, to prevent dreadnought spam.

There were no great advances in carrier aircraft during this time period, and the role of land-based planes against warships was dodgy at best (General Billy Mitchell's publicity stunts against stationary battleships notwithstanding). I think in V2 a carrier and its complement air wing should be treated as one unit.

I know dreadnoughts already have a significant mil score. My point is that within the current mechanics of the game, the best way I see to simulate an arms race is to have them count for less score as you build more and as you're closer to your rivals in total numbers. Thus, even though from a completely objective view of events it doesn't make as much sense to keep building them, the player (and hopefully the AI) would try to keep up so that the other nation is only getting a few more points per dreadnought as long as the numbers are close instead of the whopping 20. That's the only way I can think of to entice everyone to build dreadnoughts and go enough nuts with them to raise an eyebrow, but not nuts enough to totally spam them.