• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

dannie

Paradox Publishing
10 Badges
Nov 9, 2010
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
The demand for the Warlock: Master of the Arcane beta keys has been enormous so we figured we could give 10 of them away in a contest. What you need to do is answer the following question: Tell us who the best mage of all time is, and why? And do so in this thread, so your peers can look upon your entry with uncontrollable jealousy. You will have the holidays to chew on it because we wont select the winners until January 5th 2012.

Good luck all!

xmas_frost_card.jpg

Last edited:
Clearly the answer is Fred Savage

images

His brother represents a desire we can all agree with: winning at video games in the 80's. We all wanted that Power Glove. We all wanted to be his brother playing video games.

Truly a wizard to look up to.

Last edited:
Merlin via Master of Magic!

[video=youtube;aMNk-YlpuBo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMNk-YlpuBo[/video]

Some young (probablly ONLY a couple centuries old) punk comes demanding that he stops seeking the spell of mastery, vandalises his tower and how does he respond? Banishes all wizards (presumably including the aforementioned Fred Savage) to the void. That man is like a magical Harry Brown. Which would be a rad (yes, I just used the word rad) movie, because instead of it being a powerless old man trying to put his world back into order, it would be about a sort of omnipotent wizard king making his will into flesh. Rad, I say!

edit: I would also like to point out that said "young punk" looks like an klingon extra from the original series of Star Trek, and Merlin is nigh impossible to understand because, at least I'm rather sure, he's been dipping into the holiday eggnog, ifyaknowwhatImean.

Last edited:
I could take the obvious choice and go with Gandalf, but I won't. I think there exists a mage more powerful than Gandalf and all the pretenders named so far. His legendary feats are known across the lands, on this plane and others. He has many names, though his true name is known by few. In some lands, he is "The Horned One." In other lands, he goes by "The Wizened Old Man." However, those who fear and respect him the most all agree that only one name can truly represent him: Tim.

iDD5z.jpg

That has got to be a) the very best wizard ever, and b) the very best first post from a member here! :)

Welcome to the forums and the community, wallish.

To properly answer this question, one must first ask the question "What is the difference between 'mage', 'sorcerer', and 'wizard', and do the contest moderators care?". If the answer to the latter half renders the first half moot (i.e. it's "no"), and "Mage" refers to any one individual who devotes his or her mental faculties (or lack thereof) to the arcane arts, regardless of his or her level of actual skill, then my vote is for the ever-bumbling Wizzard (sic; that's what's sewn to his hat, after all) Rincewind.

The man's been through hell and back, ridden on id-powered dragons, been imprinted with one the world's eight most powerful spells, met legendary heroes long past their prime, been nearly vaporized, crushed, blown to pieces, flame broiled, and electrocuted, and all for lack of trying. And he has a murderous walking luggage more faithful than Lassie if she were a brainwashed lemming.

I think the man's crowning achievement is being voiced by Eric Idle.

The Game is Called warlock - hence wiki definition is "traitor / oathbreaker".

A quick google search for "worlds best (or in this case worst) traitor" was.

http://www.whataboutbrazil.com/the-ten-biggest-traitors-in-history/ - Answer = Judas
http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-traitors.php - Answer = Judas
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-24095.html - Answer = Judas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treason - Judas is mentioned most is Wiki definition.

So by definition - my answer is Judas!

Failing that, my abandoned level 70 world of warcraft Affliction warlock on frostmourne - Fringle.

Last edited:
It's Rincewind.

A real master of survival, oath-breaking, cowardliness, paranoia and luck. All the perks a good living wizzard must have.
Having a magical, homicidal, man-eating chest is a plus.

Also, the entire disc-world changes course to "pick" him up when he falls into space, not many can boast about being that important.

Last edited:
The Wizard of Oz of course. He brought his magic to millions of children long before the idea of mages and wizards became popular. As for me personally, he cast his spell over me when I was a child and it started my love for fantasy that has continued to this very day.

The most powerful force in the universe is the imagination and the Wizard of Oz inspired that for me.

amazing_fun_weird_cool_frank-morgan-wizard-of-oz_2009072511285617.jpg

Last edited:
Albert Waterloo (I think that was the name, can't find it) from the Seven Realms series. A thousand years before the events of the book, this Mage fought every Mage that faced him, simultaneously, and nearly destroyed the world with his own personal power.

You know, I am a big fan of the Fate/Stay universe and I couldn't decide betwen Ilyasviel von Einzbern or Rin Tohsaka (There are other ways of spelling it, but essentially the sound is what matters)...

Illyasviel von Einzbern summons Berserker (Hercules) and essentially dominates the Holy Grail War but never wins in any of the arcs, although she is simply the biggest boss until later on in the stories aside from the Heaven's Feel arc.
I don't want to say too much about her in case I spoil it for others, which is sucketh. I'll be honest, I hate it when others do it to me.

Rin Tohsaka summons an Archer class servent whose hero is from the same timeline when the story takes place (as vague as I can make it without giving it away), in the one arc she manages to create a (I think the term is 'final magic') Final magic of the gem magicks, the Gem Blade. She wins out in the Unlimited Blade Works Arc, and does fairly well in the Heaven's Feel arc, but the main arc (Fate Arc) between the protanganist (Emiya Shirou) and the Saber class (Arturia Pendragon) she is essentially the one who tutors Shirou along at points.

I would've said Shirou but to be honest, his shining moments are usually at the end of all the arcs, each time he did a sepearate, yet damn amazing things...
Okay maybe I will mention the guy.
Hmmm, are there spoiler tags?
Well, since the Fate and UBW arcs are already out and about, I'll mention those but Heaven's Feel you'll just have to read the Visual Novel for that one.
Fate arc: Projection of the Legendary Blade, Excalibur (if I remember correctly)
UBW: Manages to successfully start up the Reality Marble (a reality of the mage projected upon the actually reality of the world) called "Unlimited Blade Works" and has an awesome battle sequence. Good line as well.

(Note: If the image is too big, I'll edit it out and just put the link there instead.)

I know it says one, but damn, Type-moon makes some decent mages in their stories. These are the ones that stick out (for me), but there are many others in their works or authors related to them.

Last edited:
Alas there's not really a picture of the gentleman, but I throw Nevyn, from the Deverry Cycle of books, into the ring.

Living for 400 years simply to fulfill a vow he made in haste, and right a wrong he could have prevented. At the same time he grew in character, morals, values, and shaped history for the Kingdom of Deverry for centuries, while keeping true to the Light.