• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

Can characters convert from Christianity to Islam (or vice-versa)? If you're playing a Christian and convert, do you get a game over?

It can happen. And no, it's not game over.

How much will the average character be angry about having vassals of a different religion, or a liege of a different religion? E.g., the Russians invade Poland but decide to leave some local nobility in place.

It depends on how closely related the religion and culture is. Orthodox don't dislike Catholics that much, etc.

Will there be traitors on the battlefield? For example a levied troops from some rebellious duke might join the enemy?

How does the fixed "realm" of Empires work? Are imperial level titles de-jure bound to certain provinces like all of the other levels of titles, or do empires simply have all provinces within their hegemony as their legitimate own de-jure provinces?

The empires have some kingdoms as de jure vassals, meaning many counties are de jure part of the empires.

Will there be bastard children in the game, for example could king have affair with some court lady, or is there possible situation when your heir resembles more Duke of York?

Oh yes. Plenty of bastard children with ladies at court...

Do you mind giving us a few more details about this game? How much of France and Spain is muslim? Has Al-Andalus left some local dukes in power? Who formed them?

Oh and is Greece a De Jure Kingdom in the game?

Basically, most of the area covered by Al-Andalus is Muslim by now. They went on a conquering spree in the 12th century. No local dukes are still in power. I don't know which of the taifas formed the kingdom. Greece is not a de jure kingdom, no, but it is basically the same thing as the de jure kingdom of Byzantium (which is rarely ever created.)

Oh yes. Plenty of bastard children with ladies at court...

And can bastards be acknowledged and legitimated only at birth by event or even later in the game ?

(like, when you find all your legitimate sons mysteriously dead and your cruel and arbitrary bastard son - who's rumored to have a passion for flaying random people - as your last heir and yourself campaigning against a self-proclaimed King in a succession war ?)

PS every reference to the ASoIaF universe IS intended ! BTW are you fan of Martin's fiction or you don't really mind it ? How do you like all our fan's talks about a Westeros mod ?

Currently no. But I'd like that.
If that were added, what religion would replace Catholicism and Orthodoxy? Would O simply become C? Or would the religious map mode simply display 'Christendom'?

What is the MTTH/average time in which province's population converts from one religion to another?

That will not to be too bad. Orthodox and Catholics tolerate each other fairly well.

How do state religions and personal religions interact?
Can the Orthodox Duke of Burgundy try and convert his realm to what he views the true faith to be?
Or in action(converting territory) are you essentially a tool of the religion of your highest liege, regardless of whether or not you and/or your Lord Spiritual follow a different religion?

I remember when I played Sengoku demo, if I’m remembering right I could control marriages only of my children. Will it be same in CK or you’ll be able to control all your family, or entire court, if not will your court members marry automatically?

And can bastards be acknowledged and legitimated only at birth by event or even later in the game ?

(like, when you find all your legitimate sons mysteriously dead and your cruel and arbitrary bastard son - who's rumored to have a passion for flaying random people - as your last heir and yourself campaigning against a self-proclaimed King in a succession war ?)

PS every reference to the ASoIaF universe IS intended !

Hehe, yeah, you have three choices when a bastard is born: legitimize, acknowledge (he becomes of your dynasty, but cannot inherit) or disavow. This has various effects on the opinions of your wife, the mother, and her husband. Acknowledged bastards can be legitimized later on through a decision.

BTW are you fan of Martin's fiction or you don't really mind it ? How do you like all our fan's talks about a Westeros mod ?

Huge fan. :)

If that were added, what religion would replace Catholicism and Orthodoxy? Would O simply become C? Or would the religious map mode simply display 'Christendom'?

What is the MTTH/average time in which province's population converts from one religion to another?

It would probably just be called Christian or some such, yes. Something like 6% chance per year on average. Depends on the skill of your Court Chaplain though.

Probably Catholic. The official name of the Orthodox Church is the Orthodox Catholic Church. If the two churches would be united it would have been named 'Catholic Church'. That is a name which goes back to St. Ignatius of Antioch who lived from 35 to 108 AD and the name 'Catholic Church' has been used by east and west ever since.

How do state religions and personal religions interact?
Can the Orthodox Duke of Burgundy try and convert his realm to what he views the true faith to be?
Or in action(converting territory) are you essentially a tool of the religion of your highest liege, regardless of whether or not you and/or your Lord Spiritual follow a different religion?

Your Court Chaplain converts characters and counties to his religion. You can do this even as a vassal.

The empires have some kingdoms as de jure vassals, meaning many counties are de jure part of the empires.

I see. So the HRE for example has the Kingdom of Germany as its rightful possession, and the like? A few more questions, if you don't mind:

1) in another topic a developer (possibly you) told me that Emperors are hard-coded locked out of creating kingdom level titles to prevent voting abuse, is there any chance this could be tweaked a little so that non-elective empires could create kingdom titles? I was really looking forward to letting some relative be solely responsible for all of those rebellious Nordic Dukes who are so far away from my personal demesne by making him a vassal-king. Or at least is there any chance it can be made soft-coded for modding? :(

2) How friendly is the map in regard to super expansion via modding? Is it possible to say mod the map to Mongolia or southern Africa or whatever?

3) How well do you think the game's performance will hold up against extensive modding? If we add hundreds of new provinces (and thus hundreds of new tags) will the engine start spitting blood and significantly slow down during game play like it did in EU3?

Thank you for your time, sir. I wish you and all of the CK2 team a very merry Christmas. God bless.