• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

To move the HRE back to Rome? No. The Pope is unlanded but still active.

And so, is there any chance that a Papal State is reformed ? Is the pope at someone's court, waiting for someone to press his claim ? Or i he a vassal of the Emperor ?

And, on a different question : have you settled the "pretenders" issue, or will anyone in the line of succession automatically have a huge relationship drop with the ruler ?

Thank you, Doomdark, specially for the screenshot. The game seems amazing.
Other than the somewhat odd placement of some capitals (like the Danish capital in Croatia), it actually seems awesome, specially for a hands-off beta game. The muslims succeeding in the western mediterranean but failing against the Byzantines is the kind of thing I would love to see in this game. Oh, and there's also a Kingdom of Rus, with its shield near... Moscow?

And some question, partially based on the screenshot:
-Is "Al-Andalus" a titular kingdom-level title, the name of Castille when it's usurped by muslims, or something else?
-I know the coat-of-arms are different for different religions, as we can see in Sicily. The same may apply for different cultures or governments (for example, could Saxon England have a different Coat-of-Arms of a Norman England)? And, names of kingdoms/duchies can also change based on religion/culture/government (Al-Andalus, for example, or Lorraine vs Lothringen)?
-It seems that titles can have their names based on cultures (Count vs Earl vs Sheik, for example). Could some kingdoms or duchies have specific names for their titles? For example, could 'Austria' be a titular king-level title styled as "Archduchy of Austria"?
-Finally, you said earlier that a converter CK2->EU3 could be done as a DLC. However, it seems that there's only one culture to represent germans ("German"), while EU3 has several cultures (Bavarian, Saxon, Prussian, Hannoverian etc). There could also be a DLC to represent the german cultures like they are in EU3, or maybe a patch? (this last one is quite specific, feel free to ignore it, lol)

Thank you again, and merry christmas!

And so, is there any chance that a Papal State is reformed ? Is the pope at someone's court, waiting for someone to press his claim ? Or i he a vassal of the Emperor ?

Anyone can grant the Pope land, thus creating a new Papal State. This is a very pious act.

And, on a different question : have you settled the "pretenders" issue, or will anyone in the line of succession automatically have a huge relationship drop with the ruler ?

Number two and three in the line will not like you or the current heir.

-Is "Al-Andalus" a titular kingdom-level title, the name of Castille when it's usurped by muslims, or something else?

Al-Andalus is a proper de jure kingdom in southern Spain. Only Muslims can create it.

-I know the coat-of-arms are different for different religions, as we can see in Sicily. The same may apply for different cultures or governments (for example, could Saxon England have a different Coat-of-Arms of a Norman England)? And, names of kingdoms/duchies can also change based on religion/culture/government (Al-Andalus, for example, or Lorraine vs Lothringen)?

The names can change with either religion or culture (but not both), depending on what you script in.

-It seems that titles can have their names based on cultures (Count vs Earl vs Sheik, for example). Could some kingdoms or duchies have specific names for their titles? For example, could 'Austria' be a titular king-level title styled as "Archduchy of Austria"?

Yes, it can be scripted in.

-Finally, you said earlier that a converter CK2->EU3 could be done as a DLC. However, it seems that there's only one culture to represent germans ("German"), while EU3 has several cultures (Bavarian, Saxon, Prussian, Hannoverian etc). There could also be a DLC to represent the german cultures like they are in EU3, or maybe a patch? (this last one is quite specific, feel free to ignore it, lol)

Have I said that? I doubt it would be meaningful to use a converter, and this is indeed one of the issues it would have to solve.

Thank you again, and merry christmas!

Merry Christmas!

Has the conversion rates in provinces been reduced for CK2? Often in CK1 you could see large areas swap culture and religion very quickly, soon leading to say a wholly Christian Holy Land populated by Poles or wholly Muslim Scotland.

And Happy Holidays of course!

I saw a boxed limited edition at a site, what is different from the normal version?

Oh, thank you for the answers! De jure kingdoms which can be created only by specific religions/cultures are a new concept for me, but it works quite well indeed! (and this will make it much easier to mod a "Kingdom of Occitania" that can't be created by the french king, for example)
If the base game already sounds amazing, it's extensive moddability will certainly make it "the ultimate medieval strategy sandbox"!

(when I said "you" in my other post, I meant the Paradox Team, sorry. In one of the threads about a converter, it was said that there 'could' be a DLC with this function, but as you said, it's quite hard to have a converter that does not destroy most of th 'feel' of the world you created, as well as problems like this one)

(when I said "you" in my other post, I meant the Paradox Team, sorry. In one of the threads about a converter, it was said that there 'could' be a DLC with this function, but as you said, it's quite hard to have a converter that does not destroy most of th 'feel' of the world you created, as well as problems like this one)

It was podcat that mentioned it, I believe.

edit:

Good idea, i'll put it on the todo list for the spring.

It was Johan.

Have you taken/will you take into consideration that the Mongol expansion was halted by the European swamps and woodlands, so that the Mongol horse archers will be less effective by the time they've passed the plains of Eastern Europe, so the situation on the screenshot on the first page will be a very rare occurence?

Has the conversion rates in provinces been reduced for CK2? Often in CK1 you could see large areas swap culture and religion very quickly, soon leading to say a wholly Christian Holy Land populated by Poles or wholly Muslim Scotland.

And Happy Holidays of course!

Yes, it's slower in CKII.

Crusader Kings is a great "story" generator. Some are simple and some are epic. What a favorite story you've created by playing this game?

Hehe, that's a tough one. Each new game is interesting in its own way. I usually play as Sweden (of course) in 1066, and the initial situation with the heathen North is fascinating. For example, in my latest game, the son of the initial heathen duke revolted against, me, then died during the revolt, making his grandmother (my wife) the new duchess. Due to a bug, she also inherited his revolt, meaning I was suddenly at war with my own wife. It all turned out well in the end however. When she died, my oldest son inherited the Duchy...

Have you taken/will you take into consideration that the Mongol expansion was halted by the European swamps and woodlands, so that the Mongol horse archers will be less effective by the time they've passed the plains of Eastern Europe, so the situation on the screenshot on the first page will be a very rare occurence?

Well, yes (horse archers fight better on the plains), but I doubt that is in fact the reason why the Mongol expansion is halted in the game. It's more that their invading troop stacks are eventually depleted.

Can characters convert from Christianity to Islam (or vice-versa)? If you're playing a Christian and convert, do you get a game over?

How much will the average character be angry about having vassals of a different religion, or a liege of a different religion? E.g., the Russians invade Poland but decide to leave some local nobility in place.

How does the fixed "realm" of Empires work? Are imperial level titles de-jure bound to certain provinces like all of the other levels of titles, or do empires simply have all provinces within their hegemony as their legitimate own de-jure provinces?

Will there be bastard children in the game, for example could king have affair with some court lady, or is there possible situation when your heir resembles more Duke of York?