• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

neither is there an flemish culture i am afraid, you can see that in one of the games on youtube

WHAAAAhh?!

That's me! You can't ignore ME!...Well at least not when this would be the first time you would do that in a game. It's in CK I and EUIII and Victoria II for heaven's sake.

I am flemish to but i kinda understand why, also the placement of the regions seem to mess up the culture border quite badly.
neverthless the regions are correct if you from a political point of vieuw but if you look at them on the culture map as a flemish or dutch person you see that it is just a really weard situation.

if its is easy to mod i will certainly mod in a dutch - flemish kingdom and a flemish culture and more proper culture borders for myself.

I still wonder if its possible to change culture ingame of regions trough leadership.

and besides that i think having a single low countries culture, a big thing. I don't believe that the dutch where that different then German. Even today the North Germans and the Dutch are culturally closer than North- and South Germans.

and besides that i think having a single low countries culture, a big thing. I don't believe that the dutch where that different then German. Even today the North Germans and the Dutch are culturally closer than North- and South Germans.

By 1300 the two had grown apart from eachother

I love how people often take an omission of a culture, province or faction in these kind of games as a personal insult.

Personal insult is a bit too strong, in most cases people are just disappointed. Sometimes, because they compare regions they know and notice that some have a better level of representation than others. I think that people can be disappointed, there's nothing funny about that.

I wouldn't put it that strong, changes from West to East, between the Dutch and Germans and North to South, between Germans and within the Dutch Group, were much more gradual. State borders did however accentuate certain differences (not only between the Dutch and Germans, but also between Flemish Dutch and Netherlands Dutch), which still are much smaller at the dialect level. OTOH Dutch and German developed from another standard out of the same dialect continuum, which did help them to grow apart.

There is only one German culture, and having a Dutch culture would be a large achievement. It would be more normal if there was only one German culture. Maybe there should a division between North and South German created in Game.

I love how people often take an omission of a culture, province or faction in these kind of games as a personal insult.

Oh? I hate it. The worst thing about these boards is watching every topic be derailed by faux-historians making hundreds of posts where they're all basically shouting "no, MY historical penis is bigger!" at each other. It's like impossible to have a straight game play conversation here.

There is only one German culture, and having a Dutch culture would be a large achievement. It would be more normal if there was only one German culture. Maybe there should a division between North and South German created in Game.

wait???? what? You say that Dutch should be merged with German but than split into North and South German????? :S

well yeh then split them all not trow the dutch with the north germans.

i don't know much of german language but are the differences between north and south german as big or bigger then dutch and german ?
I would be highly suprised if it was. neverthless perhaps back then a single german culture was more apropriate but can't there be some kind of event chain that splits the culture if they aren't under a single rule at the middle of the game ?

or if not in the game a mod that does that ?

In CK1 you often got the choice between getting different traits to a character, by event.
I didn't play enough games to get all of these traits memorized.

Will there be a way in game to easily see what the traits give you (before you have made the choice)? Like an ingame wikipedia, or if you hold your mouse over the decision you see that this trait gives this and that.

According to everything I've read the Low German Northern Germans speak at home is very close to Dutch, much closer the High German southerners speak or the standard German dialect based on High German. Low German was actually named because it was spoken in the lowlands, which is also how the Netherlands got their name.

And I could have sworn I read somewhere the two languages were mutually intelligible even today, but I can't find that website.

Nick

According to everything I've read the Low German Northern Germans speak at home is very close to Dutch, much closer the High German southerners speak or the standard German dialect based on High German. Low German was actually named because it was spoken in the lowlands, which is also how the Netherlands got their name.

And I could have sworn I read somewhere the two languages were mutually intelligible even today, but I can't find that website.

Nick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_the_Low_German_Dialects.svg

Here a modern display of low german dialects from wikipedia.

And article on low german. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German

The Mongols are a scourge from Hell. Resistance is futile.

I dare say it's already a lot better than in CK. This is also exactly the kind of thing we are working on at the moment, and we'll keep at it until release.

Here's one from an overnight hands-off game with some interesting results...

View attachment 44392

I was wondering you could run a few more of these hand-off games and post the results?
Andalusian Muslims won't steamroll Europe like CK1 or was this just an odd occurance?
How the hell did Poland end up in Finland 0.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map_of_the_Low_German_Dialects.svg

Here a modern display of low german dialects from wikipedia.

And article on low german. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German

+

also, the southerners did not speak standard german in the middle ages (nor did anyone), and they usually still don't speak it at home today. this further divides the linguistic region, because standard german would be a little bit closer to low german than the upper high german dialects are (although standard german is a high german language).

Last edited: