• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

Did you fix a problem with Galich (in game Duchy of Kiev is Duchy of Galich, nevertheless Galich wasn't their capital)?

is there at this point a flemish or dutch culture ?
and is it possible to mod any of them in if not ?

There is a Dutch culture, which for medieval times IMHO is fine, since the modern day use of Flemish is broader and a bit different. Furthermore regarding medieval times if they start adding Flemish, then Brabantian, Hollandic, Guelderish, Limburgian etc. should be added too, alternatively Dutch could be renamed Low Franconian/Frankish.

There is a Dutch culture, which for medieval times IMHO is fine, since the modern day use of Flemish is broader and a bit different. Furthermore regarding medieval times if they start adding Flemish, then Brabantian, Hollandic, Guelderish, Limburgian etc. should be added too, alternatively Dutch could be renamed Low Franconian/Frankish.

it could but i would prefere dutch or indeed the dialects to.
that brings me to another question can the culture of the ruler affect the culture of the province in any way ?

Flemish was a term that was often used in High Middle Ages. Mostly due to the many immigrants from there. (With Willy he Bastard to England, later in Scotland and Wales. And on other side of Europe in the Marches, Hungary and even Constantinople.)

Just like the term Franks it was used alot. I have my doubts about Brabantian, Guelderish etc... :) also the difference isn't that big to be called a different culture.

no it indeed isnt but i just saw an vid of the someone playing with the duke of flanders and it seems that its all dutch
it's the same language in essension and i think the differences back then were smaller then now

but i still wonder if its possible to lets say convert some wallonian provinces to the dutch culture, would make a nice roleplay game

and since i don't see any multiplayer forum out here yet i wonder would any of the dutch peaple out here would like to play an MP game when it gets out, just saying dutch peaple because i know enouf english or american peaple already

Last edited:
no it indeed isnt but i just saw an vid of the someone playing with the duke of flanders and it seems that its all dutch
it's the same language in essension and i think the differences back then were smaller then now

but i still wonder if its possible to lets say convert some wallonian provinces to the dutch culture, would make a nice roleplay game

and since i don't see any multiplayer forum out here yet i wonder would any of the dutch peaple out here would like to play an MP game when it gets out, just saying dutch peaple because i know enouf english or american peaple already

??? I tend to disagree, however the difference between today and then is that, back then there wasn't a real standard form, it was more like a dialect continuum. So currently some dialects are more removed from the standard form, however the differences between the dialects back then was the same or even greater then now.

I might want to play a MP game once I'm used to CK 2.

I just have one question.

What does "de jure" actually mean? :unsure:
IRL? Legally. It's usually paired with de facto, which means what actually happens. So de jure the King of France is overlord to Normandy, but de facto the King if England is in charge. If the French and English go to war de jure the Normans are supposed to fight for France, but they won't actually do that (they'll fight for their Duke, who also happens to be King of England).

In the context of CK2 de jure usually refers to the map-files. Each province is part of a Kingdom, and a Duchy in the map-files. So if the map-files say a County is in the Duchy of Essex, and the Kingdom of England it is de jure part of the Duchy of Essex and Kingdom of England. The game is designed so that each Duke and King can get control over his de jure provinces a lot more easily then non-de jure provinces.

If a Lord who is not de jure Duke of Essex owns half the provinces in Essex he can usurp the title, making him rightful Duke of Essex (note: the old Duke gets a claim). If there is no Duke of Essex he can create the title, at which point he'll have multiple opportunities to finagle the other half of Essex's provinces, including claims on them, events, etc.

Nick

??? I tend to disagree, however the difference between today and then is that, back then there wasn't a real standard form, it was more like a dialect continuum. So currently some dialects are more removed from the standard form, however the differences between the dialects back then was the same or even greater then now.

I might want to play a MP game once I'm used to CK 2.

i know that there wasnt a standard form but the reason i say that the dialects where les removed from eachother is because the languages moved away from eachother in time, after all it was first all german

there indeed wasnt a standard language but back then flemish dialects weren't influenced by latin languages yet or not much atleast.

the standard language has no differences at all, I am talking about the dialects. I suspect that the dialects have grown further apart from eachother over those years

IRL? Legally. It's usually paired with de facto, which means what actually happens. So de jure the King of France is overlord to Normandy, but de facto the King if England is in charge. If the French and English go to war de jure the Normans are supposed to fight for France, but they won't actually do that (they'll fight for their Duke, who also happens to be King of England).

In the context of CK2 de jure usually refers to the map-files. Each province is part of a Kingdom, and a Duchy in the map-files. So if the map-files say a County is in the Duchy of Essex, and the Kingdom of England it is de jure part of the Duchy of Essex and Kingdom of England. The game is designed so that each Duke and King can get control over his de jure provinces a lot more easily then non-de jure provinces.

If a Lord who is not de jure Duke of Essex owns half the provinces in Essex he can usurp the title, making him rightful Duke of Essex (note: the old Duke gets a claim). If there is no Duke of Essex he can create the title, at which point he'll have multiple opportunities to finagle the other half of Essex's provinces, including claims on them, events, etc.

Nick

Ok, that explains it pretty well. Thank you!

heres a couple simple ones,
What is Eadgar the Atheling's Dynasty?

And is Empress Matilda's mother Edith/Maud English, Norman, Scottish or Saxon in culture? and the same for Matilda too?

And does the celibacy event still say 'i turn my back on original sin' as that was well annoying or does it now say something which is even remotely connected to the issue at hand, i.e. 'i turn my back on worldly things?', 'ill be celibate' or 'all the cool kids are doing it'. As original sin is all people being spiritually equal or atleast born with equal amount of sin, youd turn your back on it by taking away the rights of others or declaring yourself the only perfect man or more loved by god than lesser men, not by giving up sex or indulgences, indeed giving up things out of piety might be seen as affirming it but by no means turning from it.

And do characters portraits continue to age after they die?

And then a maybe complicated one, will any dynasty who starts off holding a landed title and so playable in the 1066 start, be on the list to be randomly generated? i.e. if you play a count will you constantly be getting cousins from no where who dont look like you or know you and serve in other courts like in CK? or will all the starting characters have unique dynasties so the whole dynasty mechanic wont break for everyone but the famous and kings three seconds in?

Did you managed to find a proper balance? Judging from provided screenshots I'm a bit afraid that i.e. Arabs grabbing whole Spain and half of France may be a typical result (famous CK1' "Sheikdom of Praha Syndrome" comes to mind). I'm not saying this should be impossible, I'd just like games' outcomes to vary.