• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well folks, we're coming up on the Holiday season and you already know almost everything about Crusader Kings II. So instead of a regular dev diary, let's run a little Q&A session. So, let's hear those questions and Santa Claus might just answer them. :)

Are there bearded ladies?

i think ive missed this, but
Do bastards count for alliances when they marry?

Can you change primary title? i.e. if you have two equal level titles can you change which one the game calls you by?

Can you marry people in your court who are not from your dynasty? It was always frustrating how you couldn't marry people off who weren't from your dynasty.

1.) How would something like Henry II's troubles with Thomas Beckett work out in-game? I would imagine that just being able to sack him as your Court Chaplain would be anti-climactic, so would certain rulers of bishoprics be able to interfere with your realm via event?

2.) How do monarchies like that of Isabella and Ferdinand or William and Mary function? Would each ruler be in charge of their separate realm with any possible heir coming to rule both at the time their parents die?

3.) Is parentage readily apparent for all bastards? Or can a character have a hidden bastard trait given at birth that can be found out? Or can certain characters that fall within certain parameters be potentially changed to bastards?

Would there be culture subgroups within culture groups? As an example:

Caucasian
-NWCaucasian
--Abghazian
--Georgian
--Ossetian/Alan
-SECaucasian
--Armenian
--Aghbanian (Caucasian Albanian)

Byzantine
-ByzantineSlavic
--Bulgarian
--Serbian
-Hellenic
--Greek
--Arvanite (Balkan Albanian)
-Vlach
--Vlach

Last edited:
Would there be culture subgroups within culture groups?
Culture groups exist, just like in EU3.

Yes, though I don't know if your tree-format is supposed to imply if there exists "Culture Group -> Culture -> Subculture" divisions to add more complexity to it (and what would the gameplay difference be?). If that's the case then Doomdark's "just like in EU3" would imply that it's "Culture Group -> Culture", but maybe it was just to illustrate the point. I really don't think so, though.

do the Mongols have an option to demand regular tribute as part of a peace offering?

Will there be events when lieges randomly demand new tribute from their vassals?

Merry Christamass and happy Holidays to all the people at Paradox!

Can you change primary title? i.e. if you have two equal level titles can you change which one the game calls you by?

If you have two equal level titles, you can change your primary title by moving your capital so that it is within the other de-jure title.

1. Will we see Stacks of Doom once again?
2. Will we see "Combat width" or similar limiting factor as in Vic2?
3. How severe attrition will be for large armies?
4. Is there any mechanic to simplify macromanagement when your empire will grow to blob-size?
5. Will CK2 engine be used as a template for Europa Universalis IV?

Can you marry people in your court who are not from your dynasty? It was always frustrating how you couldn't marry people off who weren't from your dynasty.

See this

You only control the marriages of characters in your court. Once you give them land, they are on their own. This mechanic is subject to change however.

1.) 2.) How do monarchies like that of Isabella and Ferdinand or William and Mary function? Would each ruler be in charge of their separate realm with any possible heir coming to rule both at the time their parents die?

The two examples are not the same. While Isabella and Ferdinand termed themselves Queen and King of Spain (to the disgust of the King of Portugal) their kingdoms were still separate and each was merely the consort in the other's kingdom. When Isabella died Juana succeded her in Castile and Ferdinand was relegated to Aragon where he tried to spawn a male heir my remarrying. Had he produced a son with his second wife Germaine de Foix the Kingdoms would have split apart. As it is the early death of Juana's husband Felipe I and Juana's descent into insanity allowed Ferdinand to claim the regency and pass all the kingdoms to his grandson. That would simulate what happens in CK II.

William and Mary is entirely different in that William was actually joint monarch and refused to be merely King consort. This required modifying the succession to allow William to remain King after Mary's death in preference to the heir, Mary's sister Anne (With James II and his son and daughter with Mary of Modena excluded) William was next in line after Anne and her kids due to his descent from the oldest daughter of Charles I. As far as the stadholdership, Mary had no claims on it and since they never had a son the claim to the stadholdership passed to William's distant cousin (as would be in CKII if you can mod the creation of the republic). I don't think the game supports a joint monarchy.

I saw a sample game where the King of England appears to marry the duchess of Aragon who is vassal to the King of Leon (and engages in hanky panky with her liege)). The two realms seem separate

3.) Is parentage readily apparent for all bastards? Or can a character have a hidden bastard trait given at birth that can be found out? Or can certain characters that fall within certain parameters be potentially changed to bastards?

In EU Rome you were told at child's birth. In CK DV you had an event that notified you that one of your children may be a bastard, but that game merely added a bastard trait and did not change the parent.

The two examples are not the same. While Isabella and Ferdinand termed themselves Queen and King of Spain (to the disgust of the King of Portugal) their kingdoms were still separate and each was merely the consort in the other's kingdom. When Isabella died Juana succeded her in Castile and Ferdinand was relegated to Aragon where he tried to spawn a male heir my remarrying. Had he produced a son with his second wife Germaine de Foix the Kingdoms would have split apart. As it is the early death of Juana's husband Felipe I and Juana's descent into insanity allowed Ferdinand to claim the regency and pass all the kingdoms to his grandson. That would simulate what happens in CK II.

William and Mary is entirely different in that William was actually joint monarch and refused to be merely King consort. This required modifying the succession to allow William to remain King after Mary's death in preference to the heir, Mary's sister Anne (With James II and his son and daughter with Mary of Modena excluded) William was next in line after Anne and her kids due to his descent from the oldest daughter of Charles I. As far as the stadholdership, Mary had no claims on it and since they never had a son the claim to the stadholdership passed to William's distant cousin (as would be in CKII if you can mod the creation of the republic). I don't think the game supports a joint monarchy.

I saw a sample game where the King of England appears to marry the duchess of Aragon who is vassal to the King of Leon (and engages in hanky panky with her liege)). The two realms seem separate

I actually had not realized that Ferdinand and Isabella were not regnant in both kingdoms, but from what I'd seen I hadn't thought that spouses could be incorporated into the succession like William III was. But actually, I think that might answer my question, that the realms in either case would remain independent when two king-tier rulers marry and their kingdoms might be united under their heir (but might not.)

In EU Rome you were told at child's birth. In CK DV you had an event that notified you that one of your children may be a bastard, but that game merely added a bastard trait and did not change the parent.

I remembered that in CK, and it was kind of annoying when one of your kids got outed as a bastard (although TBH that should be expected.) But I think it would be more realistic not to be certain at birth, since in fact it was not always clear and such things could be obfuscated; kind of want to see how this aspect is implemented in CK2.

I actually had not realized that Ferdinand and Isabella were not regnant in both kingdoms, but from what I'd seen I hadn't thought that spouses could be incorporated into the succession like William III was.

William III is a special case because he was very close to the succession in his own right, and had the English followed the morganatic marriage rules of the continent (May and Anne were the daughters of James II and Anne Hyde) he would have been next in line.

There are however a couple of prominent examples where the spouse did get incorporated into the sucession, in the cases of the daughters of Louis I of Hungary and Poland. Maria of Hungary married Sigismund of Luxembourg who inherited the Hungarian crown on her death in suspicious circumstances during her pregnancy. Sigismund's second wife was from the Hungarian nobility and their daughter was his heiress. Her sister Jadwiga of Poland married Jogaila of Lithuania in exchange for converting the last pagan state of Europe to christianity (and he took the name Wladislaw II) and he remained king after she died in childberth - however Wladislaw found it advisable to take his next two wives from Piast bloodline until his 4th marriage broke the norm in the desperate attempt to spawn an heir (producing two sons).

My question requires an introduction ;)

Let's say there is ruler which has no male heirs, and he has a brother which is first in succession queue. What happens when ruler dies without male heir but his wife is pregnant ? Will the realm be inherited by brother, or the inheritance will be suspended until the baby is born ?

My question requires an introduction ;)

Let's say there is ruler which has no male heirs, and he has a brother which is first in succession queue. What happens when ruler dies without male heir but his wife is pregnant ? Will the realm be inherited by brother, or the inheritance will be suspended until the baby is born ?

Would be great if they can script a regency like for Jean I the posthumus or Alfonso XIII

1) Exactly how close are you allowed to marry your family, or is it not restricted like it was in CK?

2) Is it still highly expensive with little to no reward to go on Crusades?

3) I've been hearing about randomized counts/dukes, would it be possible to mod in a scenario in which almost everything is randomized, including the Count, Duke, King, and Empire boarders?