+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bohemian Traits

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper FiSengokuVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    Teleglitch: Die More Edition

Bohemian Traits

I have been tasked with coming up with a DESC for bohemian_traits. I do not know where to start and I am not very knowledgable of Bohemian culture or history beyond wikipedia so I am asking for help here. I think I want to talk about tribal roots, conversion to christianity, and the Premsyl dynasty and Luxembourg dynasty. I also want to talk about the conflict between king, religion, and unruly nobles. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    83 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Well... you've been tasked with it because i'm lousy at writing event/decision/modifier descriptions...

Input from players would indeed be very nice.
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • Europa Universalis IV •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    • Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp. •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    • Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication •
    • Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club ! •

For Wikipedia reading material, I can make suggestions. Of course, the references that the pages refer to are probably going to be the most accurate information, not that I think the Wikipedia Article is going to be severely flawed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Czech_lands

For traits, I'd divide them into a couple of traits that could be lost depending on certain events. For example, Charles University in Prague, which was established more or less on the start date, should have the effect of reducing tech cost, but in this university, translations of John Wycliffe's writings were being copied passed around, and, of course, Jan Hus was an important figure in the Czech population of the University.

The University stopped being THE learning center of the Empire after the Western Schism. The King of Bohemia (And Holy Roman Emperor) did not prefer Pope Gregory for political reasons, and renounced him, and ordered the University to remain neutral on the matter. However, the university was comprised of 4 'nations', groups within the university from various different parts of Europe, each of which had a vote on University matters. Only Jan Hus, as representative of the Bohemian nation, agreed to the Neutrality, and to be sure of this, the King of Bohemia changed the University Constitution, to give the Bohemian nation 3 votes. A huge number of students and professors from the other nations simply left, and the university of Leipzig, among others, were founded. A decision then, for Bohemia to favor the Czech nation at Charles university, then, would be the appropriate thing here, that would give some large short term bonus but remove the trait, or reduce it significantly. Probably shouldn't be removed, since Charles University, after all, remains to this day.

Another effect of the university ought be a high tolerance for Heretics. From the beginning, the Bohemian government took the side of the Hussites against Antipope Alexander's excommunication of Hus, and though the support waxed and waned, Emperor Vαclav preferred reconciliation of the Hussites with the Church, rather than abide their excommunication, and the movement only became a revolution after Jan Hus was executed for Heresy.

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneMarch of the Eagles
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandWarlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword

Awesome, thanks for the reply with information. To be honest I have read most of that already on wikipedia and still feel a bit daunted trying to come up with a single DESC for a bohemian trait. I will throw something together this weekend and post it. Hopefully if Gigau likes the multiple trait idea for Bohemia, someone will make my job a little easier.

Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

83 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Commander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    Iron CrossMagickaMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GamePride of NationsRise of Prussia
    CK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    EUIV: Call to arms eventWar of the VikingsEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Manring View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the reply with information. To be honest I have read most of that already on wikipedia and still feel a bit daunted trying to come up with a single DESC for a bohemian trait. I will throw something together this weekend and post it. Hopefully if Gigau likes the multiple trait idea for Bohemia, someone will make my job a little easier.
    Well, if i see suggestions of triggers and effects, i'll be able to say if i like it or not
    • Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual •
    • If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...
    •
    • MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<< •

M&T Subforum | M&T en Franηais | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    • Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3 •
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop

Quote Originally Posted by pusty View Post
    There is another one that I have read already. Thanks for the help as I really do appreciate it! Still, some actual suggestions for use in the game are what I am looking for. I can read these all day and still not be sure what to say. There are a lot of complex issues here and unless we are doing a multistaged trait it needs to be dumbed down a bit. I want this to do justice to czech people, not just be some crappy thing that an American (me) wrote after reading through wikipedia. Ampersand, a suggestion of a rough draft for multistaged structure would be nice to give for Gigau to look at. It would also help craft what the traits need to say.

If you guys left it up to me it would say
    "Good King Wenceslas looked out
    On the feast of Stephen
    When the snow lay round about
    Deep and crisp and even
    Brightly shone the moon that night
    Though the frost was cruel
    When a poor man came in sight
    Gathering winter fuel

'Hither, page, and stand by me
    If thou know'st it, telling
    Yonder peasant, who is he?
    Where and what his dwelling?'
    'Sire, he lives a good league hence
    Underneath the mountain
    Right against the forest fence
    By Saint Agnes' fountain.'

'Bring me flesh and bring me wine
    Bring me pine logs hither
    Thou and I will see him dine
    When we bear him thither.'
    Page and monarch forth they went
    Forth they went together
    Through the rude wind's wild lament
    And the bitter weather

'Sire, the night is darker now
    And the wind blows stronger
    Fails my heart, I know not how,
    I can go no longer.'
    'Mark my footsteps, my good page
    Tread thou in them boldly
    Thou shalt find the winter's rage
    Freeze thy blood less coldly.'

In his master's steps he trod
    Where the snow lay dented
    Heat was in the very sod
    Which the Saint had printed
    Therefore, Christian men, be sure
    Wealth or rank possessing
    Ye who now will bless the poor
    Shall yourselves find blessing "
    Last edited by James_Manring; 27-12-2011 at 23:43.

Cities in MotionDeus VultEU3 CompleteDivine WindHeir to the Throne
    MagickaVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Thumbs up

It's actually very nice poem, good work!

By the way, don't worry about insulting us, just write your ideas here (or PM me) and if something is wrong or inaccurate, we will help you get it right. If I were at your place, I would have hard time too, it's just very difficult to summarize so much history in few sentences

Quote Originally Posted by pusty View Post
    It's actually very nice poem, good work!

By the way, don't worry about insulting us, just write your ideas here (or PM me) and if something is wrong or inaccurate, we will help you get it right. If I were at your place, I would have hard time too, it's just very difficult to summarize so much history in few sentences
    It isn't mine. It is a Christmas Carol based on the tale of Saint Winceslas I, Duke of Bohemia. He was posthumously elevated to King and declared a Saint. He was even viewed as the patron saint of the Czech state. The Christmas carol was written in 1853. It has always been one of my favorites. I figured that you probably already knew this, as a Czech person, but that others who were not familiar might want to know. He is not to be confused with King Winceslas I Premyslid of Bohemia who actually reigned as a titular King more than 300 years later.

Edit: According to older Czech sources, Neale's lyrics are a translation of a poem by Czech poet Vαclav Alois Svoboda

To be honest I cannot play as Bohemia without thinking of myself as the "spirit of Bohemia in the form of Good King Winceslas". I role-play it so hard that as the "father of the wretched" I cannot let my subjects suffer. I always go for fully free and partially secular government that champions strongly the early Hussite cause.
    Last edited by James_Manring; 29-12-2011 at 01:04.

Ok.... so here is what it is going to say:
    "They are Bohemian."

Any objectors? Please out-do me in your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by James_Manring View Post
    Ok.... so here is what it is going to say:
    "They are Bohemian."

Any objectors? Please out-do me in your reply.
    Ok: "We are Bohemian."
    All the other trait descs are written in the first person. What do I win?

And maybe you could add something like "As the only King-Elector, we enjoy a position of importance within the Holy Roman Empire." - that's pretty much the only thing I know about Bohemia.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzle View Post
    Ok: "We are Bohemian."
    All the other trait descs are written in the first person. What do I win?

And maybe you could add something like "As the only King-Elector, we enjoy a position of importance within the Holy Roman Empire." - that's pretty much the only thing I know about Bohemia.
    Ummm.... Gigau hands out the prizes. I just make the promises for him that he doesn't know about.

Thanks! First person... duh...

Ooh! Ooh! I know!

They wear berets, and wear black all the time, and wear ironic moustaches, and drink cheap wine, and smoke french cigarettes....

Oh, wait, you meant of BOHEMIA, not those artistic bohemian types.

83 games registered

Blog Entries
    Something about the heirdom of the Greater Moravia, the University of Praha,...
    •

+ Reply to Thread