• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This may be a dumb question: but have you considered staging an Italian Sealion? The British seem to have a large part of their army on the continent. If you assemble Italian troops in Spain (inland to avoid detection until they board ships) and then sneak up to the Englis coast you might be able to pull off a bad surprise on the Brits. Until you are at war they can't stop you, right?

Even a fake Sealion (just sail a loaded transport fleet through British waters) should scare the British enough to retreat troops from France which in turn should help quicken France's demise and save German manpower without actually risking any units.

Such a maneuver could work against Suez as well. The effect might be lesser but it still may force some retreats and pull British attention away from the French front for a few moments.

In your shoes, I would probably try both: fake invasions of the British Isles and Suez. Keep the allies distracted!

hmm the troops in the Pyrénées have drawn some of the french forces away from the german border, all without a formal DoW

Italy seems to be saving their fleet from the French Kamikaze fleets while also threatening to do the stab in the back manoeuvre.

No need for naval manuevering while the soon to be useless french navy is still a factor.

BTW are you at war with the Allies?

No.

Remember that until France is defeated, the Allies have the French Navy at their disposal, too. This makes the Axis job very hard.

Edit: Marseille and Toulon needs little defence too, probably 1 brigade each. Just patrol with French Fleet Cote dAzur and Gulf of Lyon and Italian Navy will pay for the landing dearly.

No need for naval manuevering while the soon to be useless french navy is still a factor.

As many of you are hinting at, I was not very eager to for RM to spend more time than needed in a hostile situation with the French Navy (whatever that is called). RM is not a superstar navy and facing a human UK AND a human France the penelty for small errors will be severe. And as Italy is not at war with UK yet, this have to be taken in concideration when plotting a war against France.

This may be a dumb question: but have you considered staging an Italian Sealion?

Can't answer that right off, for strategic reason. But continuing the discusion above - with France still in the war and Japan NOT in the war, I think an Italian Seelion is extremely risky and not worth the gain of winning a little bit faster in France. It would be a do-or-die attack where either the British Isles are conquered or Italy have lost a lot of ships and troops for little good. But the situation just might change...

And the best part of it is that beyond invading Spain, Italy has done little to cause an increase in US entry, and that was probably negated by the Soviet Union's actions.

Of course US entry is a cruisal factor in all HoI games, but even more so in MP-games with a human player on US. So don't plame all passive move to cowardice ;) How do you mean it was neglected by SUs actions? Does their DoWs affect US (other than a tiny and insignificant threat increase on SU)?

I would love to see what divisions CptEasy has guarding Rome.

I bet - but you wont ;)

Oh, and AFAIK the zombie CAG bug is fixed in FTM. That should help, too.

Is it? I thought I saw the opposite somewhere - but it gladdens me. I have feared the zombies...

About time Cpt comes up with a new update, we've been theorizing enough :p

Well now - Good things are worth waiting for ;) We have a long awaited game night tonight which will allow me to post a new chapter this weekend.

Cheers,

Last edited:
No.
Of course US entry is a cruisal factor in all HoI games, but even more so in MP-games with a human player on US. So don't plame all passive move to cowardice ;) How do you mean it was neglected by SUs actions? Does their DoWs affect US (other than a tiny and insignificant threat increase on SU)?

I've always thought that the SU invasion of Finland increased US neutrality. I could be wrong.

Carnage al Dente

Chapter V - The Battle of France

Human Players: Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, France, Soviet, Canada
Only one on Germany this time due to shortfall

Recap:Soviet Union recently had peace with Finland after gaining land. Japan finished their war on China and now has peace. Italy also has peace. Germany have retaken lost lands in the west, taken European Netherlands, parts of Belgium but, so far, not any French territory. With both Brits and Canadians there to support the French, it might not be too easy. Germany has already started to lose in the air.

1-2.jpg

September 10th – November 10th, 1939

In early September, the Axis got quite surprised when Soviet attacked Turkey. The Red Army seemed to have mighty problem to defeat the Turks.

Authors note: The Axis got annoyed with Soviet’s slow pace and growled about stalling warfare. However, new sea squares and a less then optimal positioning of the lone Soviet transport made it impossible, or so they claimed, to attack the last VP of the west side of the Bosporus. In the end, they managed to get across.

2-2.jpg

September 22nd, 1939

Blitzing Germans managed to surround a couple of mixed Allied divisions. While the French and British soldiers managed to retreat in order to transports in port, the Belgian division and a Canadian division with corresponding HQ perished on the beaches of Dunkirk. A small Axis victory.

Authors note: Taking Canadian divisions is valuable in a MP-game as they are likely to otherwise survive the fall of France and re-occur on other theatres.

3-2.jpg

October 11th, 1939

The German pace is fairly slow. Well into autumn and they have just reached the borders of Paris. However, taking Paris from the north is close to impossible. Another small victory – one Canadian division with two HQs and two French divisions was surrounded and defeated. Still, Belgium was not yet defeated and the Allies stood strong along the Seine. The battle of France was far from over.

Authors note: I don’t think Paris was actually undefended at this point. I probably took this screen just after the victory and before the actual defenders became visible.

4-2.jpg

October 22nd, 1939

Germany has reached the Seine on a broad front. The Allies, however, are guarding it tightly with an awesome number of troops and a crossing would be far from easy. Easier however, is a way eastwards, but that road is long and tedious with a lot of forests and rivers. The Allies have really managed a good defense. Also, they more or less rule the sky, making things even more troublesome for the Wehrmacht.

5-2.jpg

November 27th, 1939

One month later. Germany won a good bridge-head over the Seine after long, bloody and furious battles. After that, however, they have shifted eastwards in the hunt for a weak spot. Initially, the Germans gained a few quick victories but soon hit more rivers with dug in French soldiers and occasional Belgians.

In the west, British bombers could launch several missions unchecked.

In the rest of the world, things were quietly brewing....

Authors note: Not much else happened this game night. The quiet before the storm...?

Germany sits on the gates of Paris but the capital is well-defended behind the river - I imagine they're hoping to make Germany bleed for every tile. The Soviets have handily expanded their influence, but whether it will be enough is the real question. Germany may find itself fighting the Bear without Italian support, which if I recall correctly is harder in FTM than in SF. Pity for the Allies about those Canadian divisions, they'd have been useful contributions to any British expeditions after the probably-inevitable Fall of France.

The update was surprisingly short :(. German progress is slow, but I don't think that it's a big deal. Avoiding high MP losses is much more important for the Axis and I doubt that the French will survive more than several months, anyway.

The SU puppeted Turkey, which is worrisome, because they will be able to harass the Italians in the Med and threaten the potential German allies in the Balkans.

Probably a good move by the Soviet player to take Turkey - it certainly prevents an easy Axis strike into the Caucasus oil fields. The German advance seems inexorable but the Allies do seem to be managing quite a sound defence. I'm sure they will want to delay Germany and cause as much attrition as possible. If France can hold out into the Spring it could make like difficult for Germany. And of course we are all waiting to see where Italy will strike... :)

Hm puppeting Turkey + the land gain from the Molotov/Ribentrop pact should even allow the Soviets to get the Black Sea modifier if I remember correctly. 20% leadership + 20% supplies make a huge difference for SU.

OK, I understand that last games Italian over-aggressiveness may have made CptEasy cautious. Still the complete absence of Italian action in this update seems unlike him. I am sure he has some plans.

I may beat a dead horse here: But an Italian player has ways to distract the English from France even without actually following through. A credible threat of an Italian Sealion or an invasion at Suez will force the English player to retreat troops from France as well as divert his attention for a few moments. Nobody says CptEasy has to actually follow through.