• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone, I've been a lurker on these forums for a while and I've read the whole AAR and a few of the earlier Carnage games too. I'd like to thank the carnage guys for playing a great game and putting up a fantastic AAR. Don't think I've ever seen a game as well balanced as this.

Having said that I think that the way puppeting was used in the game was pretty unrealistic and really hurt the Axis side.
In future games, perhaps a house rule where in order to annex/puppet a hostile state you must 1. meet the requirements for doing so and 2. wait a week beforehand would resolve this problem. It shouldn't make much difference to normal play but it would prevent events like the one that ended this game and make gambits like Zids hit and run takeover of Romania less destructive by giving the enemy some time to react.

Great game, guys. I really enjoyed it, even if there was a few wonks, everything worked after a fashion. Major kudos to the USA for keeping forces available to repel the Japanese invasion, and to the Axis for being sporting enough to permit the redux for the Soviets.

By far the best carnage game.

With that said, I will consider this an Axis victory. You guys played a better game and even with the "flying circus" you all still mantained a balanced game. The fault lays with PI's fail surrender system. I never realized how bad it was until I saw the Romanian fiasco.

I would suggest banning the puppet mechanic altogether or pause the game when it happens and mod out the truce mechanic. I find it hilarious that germany would/could not invade a minor that just switched sides.

Also, I would remove the expedition forces HR, the AI is just to sub par in this kind of MP game. The idea that a minors forces would just switch sides over a 1,000 miles from home just because their capital fell to be game breaking. I think you guys could trust each other to not abuse the suicide use of these forces.

Honestly I don't think USSR needs to be buffed at all, you guys just need to find a way to keep more of the German army from going East, Unfortantly I do not know how you would do that without I terrible HR rule.

Great game. Have really learned a lot from following this one (and reading the others). Not playing that much HOI3 (primary EU3 player), but some of these tricks are going into my next campain.. :)

greatest MP aar ever written
thank you all for hours of entertainment; this has been exciting, well written, and with gameplay like a rollercoaster. In fact i think it could almost be an alternate history.
Great job guys

also I'm recommending "the breaking of the fellowship" (LOTR FOTR-17) as musical backroud, as it served me well for a bittersweet ending to this aar
cheers-LH

Very good game. Zid made briliant game with UK, indeed, but Axis should deserve victory, because(in my opinion) most "strange" things was more costly for Axis than Allies(f.e. this stupid truce with puppets, also multiple sea invasions, Real Allies was preparing invasion from 1942, and intence preperations was made from mid 1943(i don't really remember, but when USSR was winning more battles than Germany) and here are tens of invasions, maybe it's good tactic, but very unrealistic for me, and frustrating. Next strange things was Allied invasions on neutral countries, Allied puppet neutral country and what? Population is happy from this? Armed forces of "Freedom" ruin your country, because you are neutral, not allied, and your country will be briliant base for future attacks? In real war, in this situations, neutral countries propably were afraid of Allied and in mass joining Axis)

In short, game was briliant, both sides did amazing game, Allied by trying and tying Axis in multiple places, for me very unrealistic, and Axis trying to held this all off and making their own plans(huge plans, combined attacks on America, Britain and Moscow should be real blow demoralising enemy). Waiting for next Carnage.

CptEasy which country will you play now?

I vote to see CptEasy on USSR. I don't recall if he was in a previous game, but I'd like to see a much more detailed eastern front. I think it be interesting to go from the maybe the slowest to busiest majors.

Allies passing the Bosphorus is BS. Such huge supply lines were hugely impractical in real life, specially with Italy and Germany still being able to launch convoy strikes from the air. And that silly surrender/truce mechanic... OMG...

Even then a good game. Question, anyone used AA brigades?

thanks for this excellent nail biter AAR, really enjoyed it

judging by the name I'm guessing next one is Soviet or US? Would prefer soviet due to the face that there is more to do for an AAR but i'd read you playing Tibet at this point :p

Last edited:
Axis lost, not neccessarily to better enemy players but to flawed game mechanics. It'll be interesting to see what you guys come up with to prevent those kind of things, especially considering the flying circus which was arguably the most important reason why the Allies managed to beat Axis.

To be fair, I think Japan should've been more agressive. Seeing that things would be decided in Europe, it would have been important to see the IJN breaking open the Suez or at least try to put some pressure upon the Allied navies. If Zid had had to consider the IJN being somewhat near his flying circus, that would have limited his movements.

Last edited:
Another great AAR CptEasy. Thanks to you and your fellow players.

The Brit's and American’s seemed invulnerable towards the end with their naval superiority. It’s a shame that “Grande Italia” didn’t get to fire any shots. ;)

Who got the silver and bronze medals?

just wanted to add something I forgot yesterday.
I don't know if this is a regular thing in Carnage AARs, but I loved getting the inside scoop from both sides. that is something I would definitely like to see more of.

So, this great AAR is over. Quite sad now that it's over tbh...

Since this is my 1st post i would like to Salut every1 on this forum and this thread.
Haven't been playing this game untill last few months (yeah i know, every1 make mistakes :) ) and this AAR was one of my first. Today i wanna declare myself as a ''fan'' of this AAR and these skilled players too. Awesome gameplay from all of u guys and thanks for making this AAR worth the time to read and enjoy. :D

It kinda impressed me the way zid handled all this multitasking, with kinda great results. Made axis life as hard as perhaps he could make. It must have been an adrenaline rush i guess?

Another thing i liked the most was cpt's gameplay. Italy is considered a major but is really weak against all other majors, so the way u tried to play a bit safe and not over-stretch was really smart move m8 :) it was really good for both u and the game to have italy standing as strong as it could be (even with broken fleet) untill late-game.
Tbh i am really curious to see u on italy again at some point sooner or later, since u seemed to have a very nice plan about handling with all the breakdowns and making the most of it.

Concluding, i liked this AAR very much, and i will read even more AARs after this (every older AAR i could find i guess, hehe). Looking forward to read the next-one coming!!
Glad to be onboard this forum, salut all and have a nice afternoon guys

Cheers!!

I actually started reading this AAR yesterday (I know perfect timing) and just read the final chapter. I have to say it was a fascinating read and I can't wait to see what happens in your next game.

I really enjoyed the back and forth between the Allies and the Axis. The only real damper to me was when you guys got caught out by some FTM rule changes leading to unexpected events (i.e. fall of Paris and FTTBE). That being said I expect your next game to be even better now that you've been able to address these issues.

I hope you guys keep enjoying playing these multiplayer games and entertaining us in the mean time.

Cheers,
Stgerlachus

So, this great AAR is over. Quite sad now that it's over tbh...
Since this is my 1st post i would like to Salut every1 on this forum and this thread.

Welcome to the forums :)

That was a very good AAR, I'm always sad to see the USSR get crushed but oh well, it was a great display of skill and sportsmanship from all players.

Best AAR yet.
Sudden 'Patriotic' Carnage suggests USSR but in 'Sudden Carnage' he was Germany, we'll see but I'd love to see him play as USA after trying as France or Poland.