• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I just finished reading through all the Carnage games and I first fo want to thank the group for not only playing but also sharing their games. Because I enjoyed reading these AARs basicly from the first posts.

And in this game I really like the way naval supremacy actually is worth a lot and is used to its fullest (good job Zid). Because ships are expensive and normally big investments in fleets is something GB has to do but gets little reward for. This game they get rewarded for it and the Euroaxis actually pays for their lack of navy. The naval supremacy does what it should, it keeps Axis forces idle on coast guard duty in a lot of places for fear of Invasions. By invading sometimes they create a need to keep forces. Tugging on the player's attention every once in a while is nice, too, though it really hurts a lone german player a lot more then it should. It's the loss of time the player has to decide and to prepare that could turn the tide in the long run, which is sad, because it hurts the game balance a lot when a country loses forces not through lack of skill but lack of time. A player leading forces in different theaters against 2 (GB and SU) sometimes 3 (+USA) or even up to 4 (+2nd SU) players even with the aid of one other on part of a front will not have the time to search for and find opportunities for attacks while most mistakes he makes will be seen by one of the enemies and exploited. It's not strategy or skill that decides the battle then but the number of sets of eyes.

They're playing at speed 1, two players should suffice, if they need that many at all. If UK kept their nose out of Europe, they wouldn't even need two players.

They're playing at speed 1, two players should suffice, if they need that many at all. If UK kept their nose out of Europe, they wouldn't even need two players.

One player is enough for GB, even if it is spread around the world. Africa/Middle East/Far East are usually "slow" theatres in the sense that the poor terrain in infra means any land combat is progressing at a snails pace. So the only time critical task is naval combat, which, with the proper pop-ups, can easily be handle by one person. The only time it heats up for GB is if, as Baltasar alludes, GB decides to be extremely active in Europe, which they definitely should in my opinion. With German armor and high infra, combat can proceed quite quickly even at speed 1, so a player not inclined either by desire or ability to multitask would want to coop at that point. But the action is so sporadic as GB at least until 41-42 time frame (because of the smaller army size), that a coop generally will be mostly bored with only a few minutes of action to keep them entertained.

Sealion might just work.

On the other hand if Zid is prepared for it it might just end in a disaster of unprecedented scale for Germany and Italy...

Last edited:
instead of bickering over the OT best number of UK players (on which the Allies team of Carnage will anyways make up their own minds, having played a couple of MP games already...), the real estate on this forum would be much better used to bang on about the next, the great, the all-decisive (or not) SEALION UPDATE!!

Great AAR, after the last chapter when Axis lost Moscow and Archangelsk I really thought the Axis will crumble, but this is a nice turn of events.
Question: how is everyone doing in regards to resources and manpower?

For Italy, it is not an issue. As I invested heavily in navy in the beginning and only just recently shifted to more infantry I got plenty. Japan off course has more than plenty as usual. As Barbarossa didn't turn out to be a huge meat grinder, Germany is still OK - although "plenty" might not really fit. It will not be an issue for 6-12 months. Then we'll see.

I just finished reading through all the Carnage games and I first fo want to thank the group for not only playing but also sharing their games. Because I enjoyed reading these AARs basicly from the first posts.

Great! I am glad to hear. Welcome on board.

Sealion might just work.

On the other hand if Zid is prepared for it it might just end in a disaster of unprecedented scale for Germany and Italy...

Yeah, we sort of count on it to be a game breaker. Hopefully not for us....

New Chapter in the pipeline....

Carnage al Dente

Sorry for slight delay in posting. You know - vacation and all that stuff....

Chapter XXXI - The Attack on USA proper

Players:USA, UK, CAN, SOV, 2xGER, JAP, ITA(spec)
Von Rosen is back as extra player on Germany, but due to some unexpected problem to return German expetitionary forces from Italy, some will still be lead by Italy (me). I failed to return entire "trees" of units and HQs and in the end had to break them down to divisions to return them. Don't know if its just me....

Recap:The battle is raging on. Axis are preparing to break the Allied initiative with an attack on USA proper followed by an attack on London. It will be a gamle, but a gamble hoped to end the war. Germany, helped by Il Duce, will also try to strike hard at Moscow. The attack on Moscow will be prepared after the ongoing push just north of the Azov Sea.

6-14.jpg

November 12th, 1942

In Italy, things were calm. The Allies had massed huge contingents of troops by the frontline and reconnaissance flights showed they had reserves although many were probably HQs. It was still a substantial force and Axis was unsure how well they would sustain a determined attack – especially in the fields in the east.

7-13.jpg

November 10th, 1942

The Americans who had had very few units at the quiet front in western Vichy suddenly broke out from the fog of war and rushed two German units which had strayed to close in their eagerness to retake provinces (actually suggested by the Italian leadership who did not like the sight of too much American lands (and fog of war) in Vichy).

It looked like a dangerous situation for the German units.

8-13.jpg

November 13th, 1942

The Brits launched an armor attack along the northern French coast to give the Germans yet another front to manage. The German frontline swayed back after the first skirmishes. They had gotten used to this British tactic. Still, an all out armor attack was something new and depending on how much reserves they could throw in behind the first wave of armors, this could turn out really hairy as Germany had very little behind the first line of defense.

9-11.jpg

November 25th, 1942

It turned out the Allies did not have any significant reserves either, and they did not manage to destroy any Axis units and had to pull back without any successes. They managed to do so in an orderly manner and got away with all their units.

Authors note: The German leadership managed to save the two units on the American front with a paradrop which secure a retreat-route out of a narrow sack. The Americans had the same idea but luckily, the German paradrop was just hours ahead of the Americans who in turn got a hot welcome sinking down towards the landscape.

10-12.jpg

November 23rd, 1942

After capturing Archangels (airfield and harbor in the north) the Red Army had been fairly quiet in this section of the German east front. Italy still had command over the German forces here although the Fins acted on their own. The Italian leadership had no real intentions of doing anything offensive here and had weakened the lines. They were actually somewhat worried that a serious Soviet attack could break the front apart. When the attack came it was not very hard. But it turned out to be determined. It continued well into December were at least one or two fresh Red divisions changed place with those who battle-weary had to pull back. In the end, the Red Army could not force the dug in Germans back and cancelled the attack. With this, the far north would be secure for some time ahead.

11-11.jpg

End of November, 1942

As the battle for Rostov raged on by the Azov Sea, German forces also attacked – once again – the Crimea Peninsula. Last time, Italian forces could just march straight through it. This time, the German forces had to fight hard for it. The defenders were determined, dug in and had naval guns to support them. In the end, they could not resist the German panzers and the defenders shattered and ran in chaos - but not before giving the attacker a long and hard battle. It was clear the Red Army was becoming a less and less inferior opponant. It was a worrying fact. They had to be broken soon or the Axis would become too strained.

12-12.jpg

December 2nd, 1942

By the time Germany had won in Crimea, Rostov had fallen in German hands and one infantry division followed by a HQ fell into German custody. The Italian leadership then moved the panzer division southwards to take Taman and capture the broken Russians on Crimea but they managed to move out by train from Kerch, via ferries, to Taman and away before the panzers could force their way through mud and snow.

13-12.jpg

December 4th, 1942

The situation in Persia has been quite stabile during the late autumn. The Brits have reinforced enough to make it impossible for Japan to do anything offensive operations. On the other hand, the Japs seem confident in holding back the Brits.

The Italian leadership is very worried about a possible landing in the back of the Japanese position.

14-12.jpg

November, 1942

The evil Allies continued their crusade against small defenseless nation in Central America.

15-9.jpg

Late November, 1942

And so came the Japanese attack on the United States of America. It was a rather weak attack, both due to the fact that Japan had lost some transports previously and that they were afraid to over-burden the supply capacity of Galapagos – which was the Island that made this attack possible.

The main objective with this attack was not to deliver a crushing blow but to force USA to focus on the home front rather than anywhere else, especially as Germany prepared Seelöwe. It was crucial to take one but preferable both of these ports and airfields.

16-10.jpg

December 5th, 1942

Rather soon it was clear that the Americans had a little more forces here than initially believed (although most units in the cities are HQs). RAFs rebased some air wings and United States managed to bring more reinforcements to the battle rather quick. It was worrying.

It became clear that the weak Japanese attack was to spread out. Los Angeles would not fall. San Diego, however, was only lightly defended by a small garrison.

17-8.jpg

December 12th, 1942

It now was clear the whole attack would fail. Not only that, as the Americans cunningly forced the battle weary Japanese soldiers into the Palm Desert, they would not be able to retreat back to the ships. They would fight a couple of more days but would eventually be lost.

The garrison in San Diego had in fact been defeated but before the Japs could take the city, the Americans managed to drop a division of paratroopers who secured it. The battle-weary Japs could not dislodge them.

On the bright side – several American submarines had been flushed out of the ports by port strikes and then been engaged and sunk by the IJN. It is unclear how many but maybe as many as 6 packs but probably a little less. A Canadian vessel had been sunk as well.

On the strategically side – The attack succeeded in pulling Allied air force and attention as planned but as the Japs were defeated so quickly, the Seelöwe were not ready to be launched yet. Thus, the Allied air force (and paras) would rather quickly be able to rebase to Europe again. This was bad news indeed.

Authors note: In hindsight, Japan should have focused on San Diego alone. That would have worked. Not obtaining Los Angeles would mean the Allies had an air base in range which would weaken the Jap position, but that would still have been a lot better than what happened.

19-9.jpg

December, 1942

Around Italy, it was mostly very calm. A few smaller skirmishes between scouts along the border were the only action on land. Most soldiers were happy to dig in for the winter and let the war be decided on other theatres – at least as long as winter lasted.

The Regia Aeronautica, however, made several sorties to patrol the Allied positions and the surrounding oceans. It led to a few dog-fights and at one time a British transport detachment was spotted and bombed. It is not believed any ships were actually sunk even though several got damaged.

A large gathering of troops was spotted in Palermo. The cursed Brits were obviously up for something new devilry. The question, as ever, was where the blow would fall.

20-9.jpg

December 17th, 1942

Although not much had happened on the actual frontline, reconnaissance warned about incoming American reinforcements who struggled through the barren Persian landscape.

21-8.jpg

December 17th, 1942

The German push north of the Azov Sea have thrown back the defenders and opened up against Stalingrad. The epic city is still far away and the Axis did not actually think they could reach it – but they wanted the Soviet leadership to believe they were going to try. The plan was still to mass a large scale assault on Moscow, but plans had been somewhat delayed as important panzer divisions were still locked by the front in the south, trying but not yet succeeding, to create another pocket.

22-9.jpg

December 17th, 1942

A few more Soviet divisions have perished these latest two months, but the Axis failed any significant break-through in the East. One good thing, however, now when winter close in, it is the fact that Soviet has lost both its fur-processing centers and now lack the ability to produce high quality winter clothing.

Japans attack on the USA turned out to be a disappointment. Even though USA seem to have lost several subs in the process, somewhat balancing out the lost Japanese infantry, the strategically implications are worse. The idea was that the attack on Moscow and Seelöwe would happen more or less on the same time as USA fought off the Japs on their mainland. As seen, the RAF was called for and USAF brought paratroopers. That was all following the Axis plan. The problem was that the battle was over before Seelöwe could be launched. It would be little problem for the Allies to rebase planes and paratroopers now – even though some might still suffer somewhat from the clashes with the Japs.

To sum up – the Axis now felt a lot less eager to launch Seelöwe. They would, once again, let the Allies take the initiative and then react.

The attack against Moscow could still be done. The Germans would prepare and then strike – hoping to take the city and surround as much of the Red Army as possible.

Next chapter - The Allies launch a new large scale operation in the wake of the Axis faliur to take the initiative

This looks bad for the Axis. I think that the Allies will invade Holland and/or Denmark and attack simultaneously from the western French coast. Another possibility is an attack on Crimea and/or Romania, which could disrupt Axis moves in the area. Neither of these operations would be too risky (as the Allies could always withdraw and attack somewhere else), but they could potentially caught the Axis off-guard, as it's not possible to guard everything properly at the same time.

The Italian Front looks stable and I think that CptEasy is prepared for a potential attack on Rome, so the Allies will probably not do it, as they have radars in the Med.

Anyway, the longer the game lasts, the worse for the Axis, because it will be a war of attrition...

The Brits can land anywhere. Reinforce France, Land in Denmark, Land in Hungary, cut off Crimea... too many possibilites.

Japan is still relatively secure. He really should be focusing more on the US to distract him more and more from Europe.

Germany needs to land a hammer blow on Russia ASAP. Britain is just too capable of attacking everywhere in Europe.

Keep it up. I really want to see a Gottedamrung.

Japan is already doing everything it can to distract the Allies. However, at the same time it is ridiculously overstretched and 1-2 landings behind the lines in appropriate places could really cripple the Empire.

from Sicily, the options are numerous, though I don't think Italian port defenses in the north will be surprised, so I tend to rule that out.
If I were them, Turkey would be an option. take Istanbul, land a bunch of forces behind the Eastfront. after all, what is there in south america beyond manpower, needed to raise a large army or to soften the casualties from their long line of harrying attacks and raids?

I believe Turkey is a puppet of the USSR. And the USSR has given transit rights to the Allies. I do think you are correct, in that the next invasion will hit the Crimera in an attempt to throw back the German advance down there.

I'm sure the ransacking of S.A is to get the strategic effect of naval supremecey in the west, which gives 15% leadership.

An allied landing in the Crimea would be epic but it would also be very dangerous. The Germans have lots of panzer divisions in that area, and would strike back hard and swiftly. The Soviets might not be able to capitalize much.

Crimea? possible but risky! :D
The laning of California failed , the axis lost the initiative , but were able to save the two unts in France.

Is it me? Or was that landing kind of...pathetic? (The Japanese one).

I suggest the axis listen to The Doors-This is the End lol.. Doesnt look good especially with the possibility of an invasion anywhere by the Yanks and Brits. I can see a large group of men landing in the west coast of France, and waiting for a second invasion in Denmark or Holland etc.. Then the whole might of the allies will be coming down in France and the Germans and Italians will be unable to do much but watch

Lots of that "might" is engaged in a staring contest with the Italians already. The US thrust into France was rather pathetic, I doubt that they do have many units out there, seeing that they failed to roll through the rather thin lines the Axis had there. The real danger comes from the, lets call them unrealistic, amphibious operations coupled with way too quick naval and air movements. This enables them to be extremely flexible without risking actually losing units. I do hope TFH will change this part of the game. Greatly.