• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Carnage al Dente

Chapter XXV - The United States of America

Players (1st half session) UK, USA, 2xUSSR, GER, ITA, 2xJAP
Players (2nd half session) UK, USA, USSR, GER, ITA, JAP, SPA (Axis lost a player)

Recap: Germany is still hammering away on Soviet Union (the SOV NU is higher, resulting in a surrender process needing at least 10-15 VPs to defeat them) and United Kingdom is lurking the European coast, threatening to attack anywhere at their leissure. Sicily just fell. What will be next? Japan is grinding away in Persia and the Far East with rediculusly long supply routes. It seem even and open. What faction will take the initiative?

1-13.jpg

February 6th, 1942

During early February, when the early spring rains emptied themselves over the Mediterranean, the Brits attacked Sardinia. Just like with Sicily, the Italian defense here was designed for a situation with an operational Regia Marina in a war were the Royal Navy were spread over the world. Now, Regia Marina did not exist in a broader context and Royal Navy was focused in the Med and Atlantic were they dominated completely. During such circumstances, the defense force on Sardinia was doomed.

2-12.jpg

February 9th, 1942

Axis was not doomed however, and the 9th of February Japan declared war on the United States of America. It was clear the Americans would join the war within short and Japan wanted to beat them to it – getting a head start in the pacific.
Authors note: We have several house rules restricting US-movements before the war meaning that they had to rely on how AI had placed troops and fleets in the Pacific during the first hours of the war. Instead of immediately strike against Japan, they probably have to gather their forces instead, giving Japan the initiative.

3-12.jpg

February 10th, 1942

The defense of Sardinia fell quickly. Militias and regulars in the size of brigades could do little to stop the onslaught of mostly motorized and light armored units and fell away after short battles. The Brits had designated very little of the RAF here and the Italians soon came to rule the skies. As the Brits clogged the mountainous roads they soon came to fear the sound of air plane engines much more than gun-fire.

4-13.jpg

February 14th, 1942

The last real battle on Sardinia ended this date. A short battle erupted on the 15th as the Italian army HQ surrendered. The Italian bombing raids continued for a while and claimed a few more allied lives. The much hated French expeditionary forces led by Juin received intense attention and the weak armor division took casualties which they would find hard to replace.

5-12.jpg

February 12th, 1942

Japanese forces have landed in the Philippines and engaged the local forces there. American paratroopers held the airfield but were initially left in peace. Manilla was the goal (and a VC-point).

6-12.jpg

February 22nd, 1942

After about two weeks of battles in Philippines, Manilla was safely in Japanese hands and the American-held air-field surrounded. The Japs had initiated an encircling attack but the enemies were dug in and well trained. It would not be an easy battle. This was the first time Americans clashed with Axis forces.

7-11.jpg

February 20th, 1942

United Kingdom attacked several Arab countries, earlier during Axis rule. They also attacked neutral Saudi Arabia and would later conquer it with little problems. Initially, the Axis leaders could not understand why the Brits bothered with Saudi Arabia.

8-11.jpg

February 23rd, 1942

The Brits did not settle with that and also attacked neutral Greece. This was yet another attack that surprised the Axis, although it did not hurt them for the time being. They did however realize that the Allies wanted something else with these aggressive actions.

9-9.jpg

February 24th, 1942

The small nations fell one after the other to the might of the big powers. The United States did not try to intervene in Philippines and their two divisions of paratroopers were either killed or captured.

UKs rapid victory in Greece meant that they could soon attack again. The question was where.

10-10.jpg

February 19th, 1942

United Kingdom’s attack on northern Finland, which had started in late January, had developed to a narrow stab southwards into the country. The Axis could not understand what they aimed for, except possibly an airport further south (or just attracting the FIN AI). It was slow going in the winter however…

11-9.jpg

February 19th, 1942

…and German logistical bombings had made sure the roads were dangerous for the British supply trucks. Also, there woods were teaming with Finish soldiers. The Italian leadership, supervising them, tried to urge them to cut the British supply-line in two.
Nevertheless, the British light armor division pressed southwards…

A question related to the rules you play by: is couping a player-run country possible or allowed?

We have not really discussed this actually - so the answer at this point would probably be "yes". We have breifly touched it, though, and will probably have a HR for it 'till next game.

Eagerly awaiting my weekend supplement! :happy:

Looking forward to seeing if the Russians can put in place an epic defence of Stalingrad by shifting forces south from less important areas...

You will have to wait a little longer for that... but there will be some other good stuff in the new chapter above....

Strange... What do the Allies gain from conquering Saudi Arabia? Greece may be a nuisance for the Axis, but Saudi Arabia? The Allied moves in Finland are also rather surprising to me, as they seem to serve no real strategic purpose.

A puppet Greece means another 20-30 divisions in the fight against the Axis. Other than that... not an eventful update. I had hoped for more information on Russia.

Hmm ... they intend to let SA police arabia for themselves ? or for their oil?
a return in India?
i have no clue of their intentions now!

More distractions for the Allies.

It's serious America, F yeah now. They can project power pretty quickly so long they punish the Japs in the Pacific!

Just a question Cpt. How many Free French Forces are there left? I thought the limit was on 2 divisions 'expedition'ed per country.

What are the house rules on 'restoring' countries? This aggressive Allied actions makes me wonder 'what if' they restore France.

Last edited:
Allies probably conquered Saudi Arabia to get the strategic effect "Control of Suez" which increases Leadership for ENG etc.

I would have to check but the Strategic Effect "Controll of the Med" might be in reach of ENG's grasp too - hence the sacking of Greece. (Not sure from meory if any Greek province is required for "controll of the Med" (which gives you better lohistics throughput. IIRC).

Other than that the VPs and with Saudi a firmer hold on the Suez region might be the cause - enabling ENG to clean house with the JAP remnants in the Middle East. - ENG squeezing JAP from the East and USA later from the West...

-------------------
Concerning the fall of Sicily I'm rather disapointed with ITA. This part of Italy is a core region of ITA and to valuable to just lose undefendet. (Its not just an Island with all the importand bases on it.)
The other Islands are not that important now, as things go downhilll for ITA anyway. The one Brigade Defense is not a great concept denying to many units their General and dispersing/dilluting the punch of proper units.
GER/ITA should by now have given two GER armor Divisions to ITA as EXP forces as mobile reserves too counter ENG Armor. + GER should send a mobile Firebrigade corps to ITA in addition to that.

With all these bases surrounding ITA I wonder when the Allies will start to Strat Bomb Europe from all sides - overstretching the to weak Axis Air....

Allies probably conquered Saudi Arabia to get the strategic effect "Control of Suez" which increases Leadership for ENG etc.

I thought UK started out with that one?
`

I would have to check but the Strategic Effect "Controll of the Med" might be in reach of ENG's grasp too - hence the sacking of Greece. (Not sure from meory if any Greek province is required for "controll of the Med" (which gives you better lohistics throughput. IIRC).
We've got other free Med countries... Vichy France incl Syria I believe, Yougoslavia...

Other than that the VPs and with Saudi a firmer hold on the Suez region might be the cause - enabling ENG to clean house with the JAP remnants in the Middle East. - ENG squeezing JAP from the East and USA later from the West...
There is little practical gain from conquering SA. The infrastructure is non-existend and the Brits had Oman and Jemen on the southern tip of the peninsular....

I also cannot understand what the Allies gain from conquering Saudi Arabia. They have enough ports to attack the Japanese in India and Saudi Arabia in 1930s and early 1940s wasn't the oil heaven it is today.

Both actions can be explained in terms of the strategic effects.

I have 3.06b beta installed right now, so I'm not sure if the effects are the same.
- Crete is required for the Control of the Med effect: Supplies +20%, Naval Base Efficiency +0.20
- Saudi Arabia is required for the Suez effect: Leadership +12%, Supplies +6%

12% leadership is very good. I expect the UK to go after Persia as well, for another effect.

I also cannot understand what the Allies gain from conquering Saudi Arabia. They have enough ports to attack the Japanese in India and Saudi Arabia in 1930s and early 1940s wasn't the oil heaven it is today.

You need one port under Saudi control to gain the Suez channel effect + you get land access to Oman + a puppet to throw at Oman ?

Greece, I guess they wanted the puppet.

Nasty loss of ground troops in Sardinia. With the RM out of action not much you could've done other than abandon the island rather than lose troops that could've been used to protect Rome. Given the port-hopping and other invasions we've been seeing I'm surprised the Allies haven't attacked Rome yet. I take it that's because you've broken up your infantry into single brigades along the coast like what you've shown in your screens for Sardinia and Sicily?

I take it that's because you've broken up your infantry into single brigades along the coast like what you've shown in your screens for Sardinia and Sicily?
This trick is good if you have a navy, so that you can react to the invasion in time. However, since RM is gone, I think that CptEasy should try to get as much firepower as possible and important areas such as Rome and the provinces surrounding it should be protected by several divisions.

Both actions can be explained in terms of the strategic effects.

I have 3.06b beta installed right now, so I'm not sure if the effects are the same.
- Crete is required for the Control of the Med effect: Supplies +20%, Naval Base Efficiency +0.20
- Saudi Arabia is required for the Suez effect: Leadership +12%, Supplies +6%

12% leadership is very good. I expect the UK to go after Persia as well, for another effect.

Same for FTM 3.05 to get the "Suez effect" you need to control quite an extensive array of provinces all the way down the Red Sea
Including Jidda (Saudi), Daddato (Frecnch Djibouti) and two Jeminite Provinces too.
For "control of the Med" you need several Greek isles, so that would explain it.

This trick is good if you have a navy, so that you can react to the invasion in time. However, since RM is gone, I think that CptEasy should try to get as much firepower as possible and important areas such as Rome and the provinces surrounding it should be protected by several divisions.

I agree 100 % - time for single Brigade Costal coverage is over. The troops on mainland ITA should be reorganized and clustered at important places strong enough that they can't be defeated before the Axis reserve comes pushing Allied landings back.
Don't want to see Royal Carnage reloaded... ;)

Whatever else I can say about this game, the british player is vicious: He's doing hell of a lot with the limited resources Britain has at it's disposal...

The issue with the 'suez effect' is mostly that it is misnamed, should really be the 'red sea effect' as the ports you have to control for it would make more sense then.

Also first time poster to the carnage aar's. I really enjoy reading, keep up the good work.