• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
On Italy probable strategy...

My guess is that Cpt Easy went for a heavy fleet (+NAV/INT combo) and lost a lot of his ships early in the game. So is is probably spending IC rebuilding his fleet. I doubt Italy has such a large army at home 'cause he would have use it, either in the east, to help repel British in Romania, or in France.

Since Axis are in control of Gibraltar, level of UK threat is quite less once he landed in France... so Italy does not have to fear a 2nd landing on its main bases... So he could have sent more troops in France and he did not... because he does not have those units.

@Paglia
Gibraltar and Suez are controlled by the Allies (as is Spain). There is quite a direct threat concerinng ENG landings on ITAs long coastline.
This is amplified by the losses of the RM and the game engine that will/would allow Zid/ ENG to pull out of France and strike at ITA in the blink of an eye.

Concerning ITA:
I have long wondered what ITA is/was up to - and couldn't come up with a solution. Captain keeps OPSEC so tight that we know little to nothing of ITA despite reading an AAR composed by the ITA leader...
(Because of this lack of info some chapters remain a little too devoid of flavour, as one can not identify with the ITA position/ musing.)

Maybe the Carnage gang can add an Epilogue to this AAR, where they shed some light on each countries strategy, politics and build scheme.
Ideally a litte After-AAR for each country.

Concerning ITA I don't expect too much if Captain keeps a proper defense in place. The only way to free a significant amount of ITA troops would have been the closing of the Med by occupying Gib+Suez or at least the domination of the Med by strong Navy + Naval Air (the latter would cost so much IC, that the Army would have to stay small).

----------------------------------------------------------------
The really bad news for the Axis is that GER is already running out of rares.
Somebody dropped the ball in pre-war stockpiling. Now for GER it is all depending on taking Moscow if we wan't to see the long game we hope for.
The last screens on the Moscow situation look as if GER will take the city though.
(unless the GER armour is finally running out of org)

I don't think that we should expect miracles. Italy is not an easy country to play in MP and with both Suez and Gibraltar in Allied hands, the Axis cannot hope to achieve naval supremacy in the Mediterranean. In fact, it will probably be hard to oppose the Allies in the air, too. The best CptEasy can do is to defend Italy as long as possible and support the Germans whenever it's possible.

@Paglia
Gibraltar and Suez are controlled by the Allies (as is Spain).

I don't think that we should expect miracles. Italy is not an easy country to play in MP and with both Suez and Gibraltar in Allied hands, the Axis cannot hope to achieve naval supremacy in the Mediterranean.

Ho ! You are right. I had in mind our own game where Axis did occupy Gibraltar, while Allies kept Suez :)confused:). So I would say you are right on the level of direct threat to Italy (because Allies has control over Gib... not Suez, as the latter implies going around the Cape, which is a real drag for the UK for timing of his invasion).

So I would adjust my comment:

I still believe he went for a strong fleet & NAV/INT approach. He probably tried to built up his DD after his latest and disastrous naval battles, which took away a large part of his IC. It is not because he can't achieve, now, nava; supremacy, that his strategy was not to try to achive it. So IC were spent on this.

As you pointed out, because of the direct UK threat, he must be keeping at bay his troops. I doubt he went for an Italian Fortress kind of strategy... probably more of mobile one (which is longer to implement 'cause of production delay) given all the comments made in this AAR on the rather static defense of the GER and its failure to defend efficiently France.

So, UK direct threat + few troops + RM approach would explain why there are so few Italians anywhere on the map... and probably not that many in Italy...

The problem with Fortress Italy strategy is that if the Allies decide that Italy is not worth the effort, they can simply ignore it and invade Holland/Belgium/Denmark/Romania/X. If CptEasy moves many troops to other areas, then the Allies can always evacuate and attack Italy with lightning speed due to the game's amphibious invasion system.

Hey Pags, Cybe and Thel. Yes, I know I have been given away very little about my plans with Italy, so far. As you correctly point out, the faliure at Gibraltar made my position very "historical", meaning it is a quite tight spot. Pags do have a point, to some extent, that my Naval-focus at least initially have been quite high. As this takes time (and IC) I haven't had much more than the original set-up of ground troops and losing some of them in East and North Africa means I don't have lot at all. As I don't want o repeat what "earlier carnage Italians" have done, becoming the weak spot in the Axis armor, I use the majority for home defens - actually protecting a majority of all coastal provinces.

In large, my play-style is not very suitable for Italy, I think. Italy cannot afford any grand gestures. Small mistakes might quickly lead to disasters. I have realized that already in the naval battle as the HoI naval retreat system is quite random with regards to the direction a fleeing task force head for. Anyway, as long as Italy is in the game and has a presens in the Med - everything is posible! And I can asure you - you're in for a ride...

Italy is a tough assignement. People tend to forget that. Low leadership, high vulnerability, must developp three lines of arms : naval, air & ground... It is enough to kill you when you make mistake. I still believe it is one of the most interesting nation to play.

Eager to see how you will turn around things.

Sometime, 16 ships + 6 NAV & 6 INT is quite enough to wreak havoc in the Med... it is all about timinig and some... luck (we would officialy say: "opportunity"?)

SP experience doesn't apply in MP as far as Italy is concerned. When you are playing Germany in SP you are basically doing the same things as in MP, but your opponent has simply a much higher skill level. However, playing Italy in SP may give you a false sense of power, since closing the Med is a cakewalk and the AI doesn't react properly when you go on conquest spree. In MP, most players abandon Africa ASAP and Italy is the underdog.

SP experience doesn't apply in MP as far as Italy is concerned. When you are playing Germany in SP you are basically doing the same things as in MP, but your opponent has simply a much higher skill level. However, playing Italy in SP may give you a false sense of power, since closing the Med is a cakewalk and the AI doesn't react properly when you go on conquest spree. In MP, most players abandon Africa ASAP and Italy is the underdog.

I was refering to MP games, not SP ones. But in their game, given the way Zid is playing and fact KM is long gone, Cpt Easy is going to have a hard time prevailing against him. But still, I keep with the numbers post previoulsy. You can inflict damages. It is all a matter of timing, luck and lot of micromanaging. But you won't close the Med. Not with these numbers. I agree. You can fight still.

If the USA joins their troop injection into the western european frount will cause the german lines most definitly to buckel and get overrun

I think the 1938 start time hurts Italy more than it hurts the UK. Italy's "time of advantage" over the UK is its superior laws 36-38, losing the ability to build (especially navy) in this time period sets Italy back a lot at Danzig.

Building heavy armor might stall the American breakthrough, if they do come in massive numbers.

I think the 1938 start time hurts Italy more than it hurts the UK. Italy's "time of advantage" over the UK is its superior laws 36-38, losing the ability to build (especially navy) in this time period sets Italy back a lot at Danzig.

Good point. Is the starting OOB of 1938 the same as 1936 ? It shouldn't but, how bad does it looks ? Does Italy gets more ships to start with ? I remember having couple of BBs under production in the 198 scenario that were not there in the 1936. But beyond that, I can't remember.

For those of you using twitter, I strongly suggest following @RealRimeWWII. The author is writing tweets following ww2 by the hours - with a 72 year delay.

One tweet from yesterday:

WW2 Tweets from 1940 ‏ @RealTimeWWII
4.35AM German armies are now advancing into the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, & France. "Fall Gelb"- invasion of the west- has begun.

Enjoy.

Obviously @RealTimeWWII and note Rime...

New Chapter tomorrow

Carnage al Dente

Chapter XX - The Push for Moscow, part II

Players: UK, 0.5 USA, 1.5 USSR, GER, ITA, JAP, HUN
Maxyboy playing both USA and aiding USSR on two cpu. Von Rosen back from vacation, playing Hungary.

Recap: Germany have pushing relentlessly against Moscow although forced to fight in France and Romania as well. Albeit the battle of France remains, the Romanians have been punished and pacified. The Push for Moscow will continue...

1-10.jpg

August 23rd, 1941

Although St. Aubin was saved for the moment, thus destroying the British hopes of capturing about an army corps of Axis units in a pocket, the danger was not over in France. Italian air force sometimes backed up by German and Japanese air forces, had a hard time trying to keep the skies free. It became a cat-&-mouse hunt were the Italians tried to avoid the hurricanes but tried to reach the bombers. Sometimes they succeeded, sometimes they failed. In the dog fights it was clear their British counterparts were stronger, but the difference was not as big as earlier during the war.

Nevertheless, the British offensive seemed to have come to a halt.

2-9.jpg

August 25th, 1941

The great Italian victory in St Aubin had secured an escape route for the retreating Axis units in southern France. It seemed however, as they could fend for themselves. In Loches, just south west of St Aubin, they refused to retreat any longer and gave the charging Brits a tough welcome. Although the Brits had more units, they did not managed to get them optimally into the battle and suffered for it. In the late summer-heat, fires burned and blood flowed.

3-9.jpg

August 30th – September 2nd, 1941

A week earlier, the Germans had taken the province north of Angerville, hoping to take the pressure away from St Aubin. That succeeded. Now, however, the Brits had retaken that province and launched a strong attack on Versailles. One of the attacking divisions came from Angerville, and at it was the only division in Angerville, it became a suitable target.

Zingales attacked fiercely out from the thick forests where he had been dug in. Zingales was a decorated hero from the war against the Rus. He had been in charge of the division who had reached as far as Rostov, north east of the Azov Sea, before the Romanians had turned on them. While Zingales had been flown out of Rostov, all his men had been killed or captured by the Soviets. After that, Zingales bore a deep hate for Romanians and Brits. While the Romanians had been punished, the Brits had not.

The British 3rd Infantry Division quickly canceled the attack on Versailles. With that, the British attack soon lost pace and was pulled back. If Major General Barker had hoped that would be enough, he was wrong. If he thought the Italian soldiers were greatly inferior, he was wrong. Eventually he got things right and quickly retreated out of Angerville. The province that had been the Allied base during the epic battle of St Aubin was now in Italian hands. Il Duce had made certain than several journalists travelled shortly behind the troops to make some good stories.

4-10.jpg

September 10th, 1941

About a week later, the British leadership did what the Axis leaders had expected from them – They started a massive pull back from the entire front. The Axis wolves would try to snatch at their heels, hoping to capture a division or two….

5-9.jpg

August 22nd, 1941

This was a significant date as the Soviet capital today was surrounded. Germany, running short on rare materials, intended to attack within short.

6-9.jpg

September 2nd, 1941

A Hungarian army was on their way to support the German southern front against the Rus.

7-8.jpg

September 3rd, 1941

The German attack on the Soviet capital was a hard and merciless one. The Red Army had no chance to open the pocket and after ten days of bloody battle, defending units started to break. After two weeks of battle, Moscow fell.

As the Italians were deeply involved in battles on the West Front, it came almost as a surprise to them – although a very welcomed surprise.

8-8.jpg

September 15th, 1941

Only two weeks later, Leningrad fell to the Fins. It was clear that the Red Army had abandoned this entire front, probably wanting to link up with other parts of their shattered line of defense.

The victories at Moscow and Leningrad came faster than the Axis had perceived. The Italian leadership lacks enough information to give a clearer picture.

Authors note: I later found out by the Allies/Commies that this entire part of the front had became out of supply after the fall of Moscow, and they did not dare to stay and risk complete loss of the troops.

9-7.jpg

September 16th, 1941

The losses must have shocked the Bolsheviks even more. In just two weeks, Soviet had gone from a huge power to a unity close to breaking. The Axis suddenly realized they would not even have to take Stalingrad. A few more cities (VPs) would do.

10-7.jpg

September 22nd, 1941

With the aid of the Hungarian army, the Axis gained the strength to really initiate a push. As the Red Army realized a huge sack was about to be formed, they left their well dug in lines along the river. The Axis responded by attacking them en masse.

12-7.jpg

October 14th, 1941

Aided by the Hungarians, the German forces threatened Rostov. Rostov had fallen to the Italians in early May the same year, before the Romanian betrayal. Now it seemed to fall to the Axis machinery of war once again. Still, the Red Army made a controlled retreat and did not lose units in the process.

The Italian colony had now grown to also include the Crimea Peninsula and Sevastopol.

11-6.jpg

October 11th, 1941

The Red Army had managed to create a strong northern front that could stop the Germans. They seemed to have forgotten the Fins, however, and suddenly their supply lines were threatened. The Axis was certain Soviet would fall if Archangelsk was captured and aimed their northern forces in this direction.

13-7.jpg

September 26th, 1941

During the end of September, it was clear that the Brits were on the retreat. The Axis pressed on furiously to capture any unit, but with the German attention being split on the entire East Front, it was tricky and the Brits retreated cunningly and held his forces together.

14-8.jpg

October 2nd, 1941

The Brits retreated to the relative safety of the river. The joint Axis forces managed to find a weak spot and attacked there. The lone British medium armor division had to fight hard to fend off the attackers, but had a lot of strategic advantage in the natural environment.

Soon enough, the armor was supported by another division which made the Axis cancel their attack immediately. The end of this battle marked the end of this second British attack on France.

Last edited:
It looks like the Axis has already won. To sum up:

1. The Soviet Union may collapse soon. They have to rebuild their stockpiles and wait before the supply network is reorganised, while all the Axis has to do is to push forward. The only thing that could potentially save the SU is winter, which may give the Axis supply problems.
2. The Brits are retreating. I presume that they will try to attack Italy, but even if they conquer the country, it won't matter that much if the SU falls. Alternatively, they could try a gamey attack on Holland and Denmark and go for Berlin before the Axis redeploys its troops, but we don't know how many troops the Axis has in that area.
3. The USA is still at peace with everyone.