• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thanks for that tip. Btw, you put the fleet on PATROL or INTERCEPT ?

If I do understand the other posts properly: if you just have CL and DD, the ASW fleet will not be able to intercept and sink Subs?
Intercept is too unreliable. It was meant to reduce micromanagement, but I could never get it to work the way I wanted it to work, i.e. the fleet would move to intercept the enemy as soon as the enemy fleet is spotted in the selected area. In my experience they either remain stationary or intercept units that are several sea-zones away. Therefore, I use patrol orders.

Thanks for that tip. Btw, you put the fleet on PATROL or INTERCEPT ?

If I do understand the other posts properly: if you just have CL and DD, the ASW fleet will not be able to intercept and sink Subs?

No - of course the DD is the cheapest regular Sub killer - the DD's gain anti sub in capability up to very decent levels as the game progresses and better ASW tech becomes available.
If you can't afford a CVL a Task force of 2 CL and 4 DD will be the regular ASW fleet.

-> The CVL is a force multiplyer as it (with its CAG) provides decent detection from the get go, hurts subs + has a long engagement range and thereby increases the chance of the ASW fleet to disengage befor a superior enemy surface task force wipes it out.

thanks guys

I'm playing USA in a MP game and wanted to check those particular things before doing any stupid moves :rolleyes:

Clarification are going to be very useful.

INTERCEPT: I too never got what I wanted out of this one. But was not sure if it was just me, or the order itself.
ASW: i'll remember the CV impact

Thanks Zid, for exstensive and colourful addition of storytelling :)

The best submarines had been stationed in Hong Kong and Singapore, and when the DoW came, they were ready. Having played Japan earlier, I had noticed two weaknesses. Their lack of oil, and the need of large amount of convoys. By raiding, I hoped to disrupt the supply situation and offensive capabilities of Japan. Von Rosen, would you care to comment?

plz wait with too much UK vs Japan discussions until next chapter ;)

Ah, payback is a bitch. Ahem, I mean I learned from the master.

Yes, I suspected as much. You seldom forget those painful events ;)

I have also had extreme difficulty with sub hunting.

Best Sub hunting/ convoy strategy:

Thanks a lot guys, for shedding som light on this interesting topic. Really appreciate it.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

All hail, Il Douche!

And still no update :rolleyes:

It's about time GER sends some Paratroopers to "rescue" Signore Capitano Easy - self styled "Il Douche" - from his distractions and bring him to a place in Northern Italy where he can concentrate on the vital stuff under GER supervision:
1. Axis World conquest
2. Writing the history of said conquest

-> No more Bunga Bunga! Dolce vita is over Capitano Easy! ;) You hear?! :D

(The yellow press has it, that Il Douche goes for a swedish lady who really distracts him from going about his business - we all know how the Italien Male reacts to swedish women... - get rid of her too!)

looking forward
Thel

Heh heh. Well, the Swedish ladies, and the latest years just one of them, has been distracting at times. Now, however, they are not to blame. It is the result of that activity which is pulling at my attention now ;)

Anyway - will post that new chapter now.

Carnage al Dente

Chapter VIII - Japan at War

Human players: Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, USA, Soviet
No Canada and Von Rosen temporarely replaced Gamla Stan at Japan. Maxyboy now on USA.

Recap: France just turned Vichy and after that, Italy and Japan declared war on the remaining Allies. Soviet has beaten Finland and puppeted Turkey. Now, they are at war with Persia and has been for some time. Last chapter focussed on the Eurpean theatre. This chapter will focus on the Pacific during the same time.

12-1.jpg

March 17, 1940

The Chinese army did not react very quickly when they realized they shared a border with an enemy. About a month after the Japanese declaration of war on United Kingdom and a Chinese army was finally on the way. They would still have to march through Siam but eventually they would reach British Burma and give the tea-drinkers some headache.

13-1.jpg

March 31, 1940

While the Chinese were marching, Gibraltar was under attack and the Regia Marina were carefully anchored in port with the Royal Navy patrolling the Med, the Imperial Japanese Navy made short work of Indonesia with little opposition. Only in Malaysia and Singapore had the Brits left defenders and the battle became bloody at times. According to the news reaching the Italians, the Royal Navy did not try to aid the infantry and some 5-6 British divisions perished here.

14-1.jpg

April 12th, 1940

While the Chinese, supported by some Siamese and Japanese troops, attacked a weakly defended Burma, the Japs attacked Ceylon. Ceylon was very weakly defended on land, but it seemed the Royal Navy felt it was time to face the Japanese war ships.

15.jpg

April 16th, 1940

Ceylon is captured and the sound of rifles and artillery fades away. In the oceans, however, the heavy guns are blazing madly. Time and again, the navies of Britain and Japan clashes, resulting in many sunk ships on both sides (list coming later).

It was during this period the Regia Marina sailed out in the Med searching for the Brits who were not there.

16-1.jpg

May 6th, 1940

Lacking any real opposition in the Pacific, Japan dared an attack on Australia, and Darwin fell after short battle.

17-1.jpg

Mid May, 1940

In about three months (colors roughly representing these months) the Japanese fleet had transported ground troops around the Pacific and Indian Ocean to quickly seize vast areas. Only in Singapore had they meet resistance on land enough to cause them delay, while in the sea, the worst battle had been fought just south of India’s southern tip. While casualties had been fairly low in the army, the naval losses were significant. At least the Imperial Japanese Navy was not alone in losing ships…

The blue arrow represents the very slow but still forceful Chinese advance. The British defenders in Burma counts to about three divisions and some planes. It is not by far a force that can stop the attackers. Only delay slightly.

It is apparent that the Brits focused their defense to Europe and Africa and there they have managed to stop all significant advances by the Axis after the fall of France. In the Pacific, however, they have failed utterly which will have serious implications for the balance of the war.

18-1.jpg

Mid May, 1940

Germany lost 4 SS early on. During the spring they had a mighty clash with the Royal Navy in which they only lost the Admiral Hipper while the Brits lost their 2 BCs and several CAs.

Italy had previously lost a TP to the Spanish navy and lost 2 SS during the spring due to British patrolling in the Med.

The remaining losses was due to clashes between UK and Japan which seem to be fairly even, with UK losing more screen and Japan losing more capitals.

All in all, the Royal Navy has taken substantial losses in a short time, but it is far from being significant yet. It is quite clear, however, that they cannot keep up the rate of losses for very long without it having serious implications… and they have not even met the Regia Marina in battle yet…

Next chapter: The Regia Marina clashes with the Royal Navy

This was before I started to take screenshots. Luckily for me, I could say. UK Home Fleets were guarding the Kiel Channel and the exit from Denmark. One of the fleets was so soundly thrashed by a KM Taskforce and LW CAS that if left in tatters. I don´t remember how many ships were lost- too many for comfort. Any no KM losses whatsoever, I belive. Maxyboy and Henry got to hear a lot of curses. Maxyboy in particular dislike this. He would like to have cool situation reports instead of my nerd rage in his headphones. The UK fleets were withdrawn, even though I knew this opened up the possibilites for KM attacks in the Atlantic. But fighting without aircover of you own seems impossible in FTM. Daphne, I´m sure you have clearer memories of this than me. Care to comment?

Losses where summarized in CptEasy's latest report. IIRC, there were clashes both in Kattegat and Heligoland Bight. They were both significant KM victories, with only one CA lost (KMS Admiral Hipper). As Zid stated, this suddenly opened up possibilities for the KM to operate in a greater sphere. However, for the time, it kept the "Fleet in being" strategy. But it still meant that the RN would have to direct more strength to control the area.

The SS losses were more annoying, both because some of them should have been avoided and because they were of greater importance to the Axis strategy than the surface fleet. These losses meant that British supply lines would be safe(r) for quite some time. Luckily (?), the losses were all older subs, meaning that our latest technology would not fall into enemy hands.

Yes, it would be interesting to record some of the communication between players in the heat of battle. I think we all have some more lively moments... CptEasy particilarly dislikes my habit of saying something like "Oh, no..." and then pause before giving a full report of the situation. Sorry for that :)

Hi Daphne, Hi Zid,

thanks for your reports and short comments - they really add to the flavor of this AAR!
I really had to smile about the ("Nerd rage" and the "Oh no - pause - no information...) :D
I have a good friend in my long time gaming group who allways whines and bitches (and sees doomsday coming) untill he finally winns.

@Signore Capitano and his Axis-gang:
Naval losses for axis don't look good to me! Axis can't afford a one for one exchange of ships or it will never be able to break the allied supremacy at sea!

Axis needs to cripple the RN before the USN joins the fray in order to stand a chance!:excl:

I am especially worried about JAPs naval performance! If some of the british ship losses were scored by GER Air+KM the JAP/IJN record is not even balanced with what the RN has lost.

-> At this point of the war (April 1940) JAP should actually be able to beat RN in individual batles due to more CV's etc. - apparently JAP like in the last Carnage round (Royal Carnage) lacks in naval doctrines and naval tech.
And we all remember how the IJN then got owned by RN+USN really quick.

I really hope JAP has decent CVs in the building queue + the best tech level possible for the CAGs (+ double the amount of CAGs per carrier coming, in order to rotate them for repairs/ org regain, when worn out.)

Quick gains in Pacific, but all those areas require garrisons and subject JAP to massive sub warfare. Also it seemed that the area was largely written off.
I think the Axis will run into alot tougher resistance in mainland India. The Ceylon invaion may have caught the ENG player off gaurd, but don't expect any India landing to be that easy or the RN to get any less agressive. Especially with a loss ratio in ENG favor.

Can future updates include a USA threat/neutrality shot. Kinda like a count down timer.

On the whole, it seems that the Allies are losing more ships. It'd be interesting to know in what state the remaining ships of both factions are. The Japanese doctrines must be slightly behind the British .. or was that just bad luck on the IJN part?

The problem is that ENG has loads of old CLs and CAs (and actually BBs) to spare...
In order to break the RNs dominance Axis has to sink the Brits at a much better cost ratio!

And Zid looks like he is doing his homework - so no easy victory vs. RN

Only losses which seriously matter are CV and BB. So at the moment it's draw.
Japan has done magnificient work with expansion, but subs now will take their revenge on Japs.
Also on Axis side, I'd prepare for Barbarossa in June of 1940, unless rules stop it. That is one less year for Russkies.

I don't know FtM and Hoi3 in general well enough to handicap this, so all's very exciting. Special thanks to the other players for adding comments and screenies - this is getting better and better!

Only losses which seriously matter are CV and BB. So at the moment it's draw.
Japan has done magnificient work with expansion, but subs now will take their revenge on Japs.
Also on Axis side, I'd prepare for Barbarossa in June of 1940, unless rules stop it. That is one less year for Russkies.
Old BBs are not very important, so if Japan/the UK lost some crappy WWI BBs, then it's not a serious issue.

Screen losses matter in two cases - 1) you do not have enough screens to prevent your fleets from suffering from the cap-to-screen penalty, 2) you lose modern screens and are forced to rely on old ones with poor firing distance and bad stats. I don't know if this is the case here.

Neither side lost any carriers, so everything is possible.