• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Japan is nowhere near Suez and the RN has proven that it is capable of repelling the attacks of the IJN, so I think that Japan is not as big a threat as one might think when looking at the map. Supply constraints would make it very hard for the Japanese to conquer Iraq and Suez.

IIRC, Japan is currently involved in Persia, moving north. They also are involved in a staring contest with Iraqi and British forces near Kuwait (sp?) Fleets based there will be far away from their supply sources, but can concentrate against Suez. It'd be a matter of how advanced their doctrines are and how busy the RN is in Europe.

It seems there will probably be a "Fortress Europe" type situation going on, with Germany and Italy defending their Atlantic coast dearly while they build an invasion fleet. I predict a huge invasion from the Americans and Brits into France, which will be repelled. This will probably force the Allies to concede if they don't have Japan down and out. If Japan is down, I predict an Axis invasion of England. They'll hopefully land in Dover or Kent and head straight to London and Cornwall. This is all just guessing, but I love the stalemate that ensues after the SU falls to the Axis. Air Power will be the deciding factor, I believe.

I haven't done any math, but remeber the winner is decided by VPs. Can the Allies/con win if they take all of Japans VPs and just hold Germany? Also while kinda gamey, are there no Allies that can DoW on still neutral countries and gather those VPs.

Carnage al Dente

Chapter XXI - The Roar of the Bear

Players: UK, 0.5 USA, 1.5 USSR, GER, ITA, JAP, HUN
Maxyboy playing both USA and aiding USSR on two cpu. Von Rosen back from vacation, playing Hungary.

Recap: Moscow and Leningrad has fallen. The Brits have been pushed back from France. Soviet is under immence pressure. Will they last or will they succumb?

15-5.jpg

October 11th, 1941

Japan offensives forced the Iraqi government to cave in. This might open up for further threats against British heart-lands. Axis seem unstoppable.

16-5.jpg

October 12th, 1941

The battle of the Far East did not move much. The Japanese had weakened this front to prepare for the big clash with United States, an event that seemed inevitable. The Mongol capital had shifted side a couple of times but belonged once again to Japan.

17-4.jpg

October 20th, 1941

After the defeat of Persia, Japanese units had penetrated the Bears belly. Alas, the Red Army sent forces to counter them. It did not be in time, however, to stop Japan from conquering two important cities.

18-6.jpg

October 29th, 1941

With the Japanese victories in the south, the entire Soviet nation seemed to be on the brink of losing faith in their government. The Axis knew they just needed to nudge them yet another time – showing the how fruitless resistance was.

19-5.jpg

November 1st, 1941

Hungarian tactical bombers made a reconnaissance run on the city of Majkop, a couple of hundred kilometers south of the frontline. It proved to be unprotected. German paratroopers were called in and made a jump around the city. Majkop could then be captured without combat. Was this enough to break the spirit of Soviet Union?

20-4.jpg

November 2nd, 1941

It was enough. Stalin caved in and surrendered. But…..

21-4.jpg

November 2nd, 1941

Stalin was, however, immediately shot by high ranking Soviet militaries. They seized power and continued the battle – although their illegitimate rule would make it difficult for them to gather the people behind them

Authors note: This even came as a surprise for both parties but we agreed to it and the game will thus continue.

As Soviet got 30 in dissent and lost lots of industries we figured that their troop production would be very low from now on, so they’d have huge difficulties to replace lost units. We hoped it would also really hamper combat efficiency, but the effect was minimal. I think that’s a little strange. So Axis has a lot more combat to do in Soviet.

USA is now quite close to join the war. Axis careful playing (criticized by some on the forum) has at least led to USA taking a good time to wanting to become part of the Allies. Now, however, their joining is not far away.

Late Note: The fact that the only penalty for Soviet is the 30 dissent is making this event a little too good to be true, from the Allied/Commies point of view, changing the strategic picture quite a lot. On the Axis-side, we did not know about this new FtM-event and it came as a nasty shock. I am looking forwards for some comments from the rest of you, dear readers.

22-4.jpg

Early November, 1941

An European overview. The Axis had though the war as good as over and won. Suddenly, the picture had changed completely and it was clear that Russian resistance would remain after US joining the fray. This was troublesome and demanded new plans and new thinking.

they can do this????!!!!
more importantly for SP players like myself, will the AI do this?

What just happened? How much NU the Soviets have now?

They have surrender process 100% but still fights on with no other effect that +30 dissent. They can't be beaten in any other way than total annhiliation of all troops.

About SP - I have no clue.

So you have to literally occupy all of Russia? And wipe out every division? Not fair. If the US took Honshu, then Japan wouldn't be able to continue the fight from China and India!

What a nasty surprise! Your strategy was sound. Well played! But it's hard to see a winning strategy for the Axis after this:

1. Now the USSR has become almost indestructible. You can either occupy a defensive line in order to contain them (but this will alow them to recover) or try to keep up the pressure inspite of ever extending supply lines.
  2. The Uk is almost impossible to take as well due to British naval supremacy. And paratroopers are limited by your house-rules.
  3. The US is around the corner which is likely to expose the weaknesses in Japan's overextended empire. Landings in Europe are sure to involve increasing numbers of troops as well.
Perhaps an offensive into the Middle East? Take control of Suez? Not worth too much without Gibraltar, though ...
Is their some way to accomplish victory via objectives? Is there a clause in your houserules that grants the Axis victory if it holds out until a certain point in time?

Nevertheless, I love this latest twist. It looks as if this Carnage match will follow historic lines closer than any before.

It's in there, in surrender2.txt under the events folder. For those worried about SP games, the AI chance for the second, no surrender, option is 0.

This is a pretty good boon for the Allies. The war in the east will continue. Worse for the Axis players, they do not have ownership of the western Russian provinces - so the partisan & logistics problems will be bad.

While unexpected this decision makes more historical sense than the bitter peace.
The little IC they still have can probably be bombed to ashes, it should slow their rebuilding effort quite a lot and allow you to hold a containment line without too much trouble.
The Axis should now switch to naval focus (Germany must have enough IC and leadership to build an imposing fleet quickly now) and prepare to win back the seas while consolidating an "iron curtain" around what remains of the soviet union.

I don't know why the Axis agreed to continue like this. Soviets should not be fighting the Axis any more. A forced NAP would be the just thing to do.

Ridiculousl, really. Russia can get rid of 30 dissent in few days, if they bother about it at all since you mentioned that combat wasn't really affected. I thught your rules said that Russia had to select bitter peace?

The Soviet Union has government in exile I assume. You have to conquer Mongolia and Tannu Tuva in order to defeat it. It is like with Belgium and the Netherland which government go into exile by event but armies continue fighting to the bitter end in Europe.

Awesome. The whole Red army still being out there with their surrender (!) not having affected them at all. On top of that, the US are about to join the fight. Looks like the game is hardcoded for the Allies and Commies to eventually win. Advancing into Mongolia / Tannu Tuvia takes ages without having to fight your way throught their forces...

Is Turkey involved in this as well? They're part of the Commies, so Japan is likely to have to fight them as well.

Anything that extends the AAR is good for the reader; excellent :)

Hoping to see some good two front struggles going on a la historical WW2, with battle toing and froing across France, while Axis forces try to hold onto their VPs...Much life left in this AAR yet it seems!

On that note, how is the VP situation looking right now? Is the Axis in a position with >2/3 of VPs yet, where they can dig in and hold out until the end of 1945? If this is the case, fort building in the east and keeping a large western reserve seems to be the best way forward from my point of view...With perhaps an incursion through the Balkans/Turkey from German forces to link up with the Japs and ease the burden in the Middle East against a coming US onslaught in the far east. With all that Eurasian territory under control, Germany must have the manpower to do so. What will Italy's role be in this too? My guess would be to simply hold the Italian VPs, and perhaps sure up the Balkan coast or act as an active reserve force in France. To win, the Axis will need to keep large reserves at hand to fight off naval invasions; thus preventing large footholds on land being gained.

I think people overestimate how important - political-wise - capture of Leningrad and Moscow would have been if it happened in real life. The fact is that the U.S.R.R. intended to fight to the bitter end. However, capture of Moscow was important from strategical point of view, as many factories were there and, much more importantly, it was the main point for the whole Soviet railroad network where all rails meet. In fact conquering Moscow would made it very hard, if not impossible, to transport and consolidate troops spreaded across the whole country and thus opposing the concentrated German forces. On the other hand it didn't automatically mean that Soviets would simply lay down their weapons. All in all I think option is justified.

I think people overestimate how important - political-wise - capture of Leningrad and Moscow would have been if it happened in real life.

Agreed, I think the Germans and Russians both knew it was a war of annihilation. No real reason for the Russians to stop fighting now and give the Germans time to consolidate their empire for a few years before coming back to finish them off. Still, I'd give the Axis team here the honorary "win" for accomplishing all that both sides expected would be necessary to end the war, but great gamesmanship from both sides to keep it going for round 2.

Since this is likely to turn into a war of attrition and production rates, I'd expect to see the European axis focus on quality troops and planes. If they don't get pushed back from their conquests they will win handily. The Japanese strategy will be a lot tougher. They can't keep pressing the Russians very hard while getting ready for the US entry. Their far-flung empire will probably need to be scaled back considerably to try to hold on to some of their core conquests in east Asia. Perhaps they have built up enough stock of resources to fight a powerful rearguard action.

When US entry is just a few days away, I think it will trigger some major actions from all Axis countries. Japan should strike at as many US bases as possible before they can be reinforced while Italy, Germany, and Hungary quickly gobble up the neutral nations of Europe to increase their IC and manpower - Yugoslavia, Greece, Switzerland, maybe Sweden and Vichy (which would make it easier to retake Spain safely).