• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I normally don't comment on spelling errors, but the idea of a commando slipping into the Soviet Union, putting a gun to the General Secretary's head, and forcing him to surrender or die is, for some reason, really funny to me :)

Love the AAR! Keep it up!

I think that was some good ol' Swenglish on my behalf.

UK Addendum to Chapter XIX-XXII

Recap: UK has invaded France and is fighting with Japan in Iraq and Persia.

hoi53.jpg

Though the invasion of France has come to the outskirts of Paris, Germany has gotten enough reinforcements and armour to the front lines. The front has stabilised, and with more Wehrmacht troops coming, the decision was made to withdraw. As the Army had become quite adept in fighting retreats, not a single brigade was lost.

hoi54.jpg

During the fights over the French airspace, a worring discovery was made. Germany had built carrier capable planes. This could only mean one thing. The KMS Graf Zeppelin had been completed, and the Kriegsmarine was not beaten yet.

hoi55.jpg

During the evacuation from France, troops from northen France were evacuated to England. Germany had left the garrisons in occupied Benelux weak. With free transport capability, an invasion was aimed at Amsterdam, quickly surrounding and destroying the garrison. The operation was codnamed Operation Gamey*, and the troops were quickly evacuated afterwards.

* as in brave

hoi56.jpg

The war at sea continued, but as the Axis submariners found out, the happy time was now over. Two carrier based ASW fleets found and sunk several German and Italian subs, though the merchant shipping was still badly mauled. Japanese submarines, probably based around Madagascar, made the run around South Africa known as torpedo alley.

hoi57.jpg

After CAG recon over the Netherlands, another single German infantry division was found and attacked. Operation Gamey claimed another 10000 German POWs loaded onto brittish Transports.

hoi58.jpg

With UK attention focused on France, they had been pushed back slowly in Iraq. A massive surge of Japanese infantry attacked and took Baghdad, and the Iraq government switched sides. UK troops found themselves attacked by Iraqi troops that just hours before had been their allies, and during the fighting, a full motorised divison with an armoured brigade was forced to surrender. Luckily, the veterans from the fighting in France was already en route when the breakdown occured. Had they come any later, an additional four divisions could have been lost.

Authors note: Germany used the Call to Arms diplomatic option. That broke the truce that normally exists between a newly created puppet that had been in a Fraction before. Very unpleasant surprise, but it could have gone much worse.

hoi59.jpg

The French Front had stabilised, and UK held strong defensive positions behind rivers.

hoi61.jpg

An Italian submarine Flottilia based in Nantes was attacked. Though the Luftwaffe provided fighter cover, many bombers got through. The flottilia was later belived sunk.

hoi62.jpg

A new, almost half-hearted invasion of France was launched. It was more to keep the Germans busy than a true attempt to make any gains. Some German troops were surrounded, but the Germans had enough armoured regiments to keep the UK from blitzing them. It was decided that much more investment had to be taken in armour tech and doctrines.

hoi63.jpg

The middle eastern front stabilised, and in November 1941 UK launched operation Catapult.

Author´s note: I waited with this event since I didn´t need the extra NU (low NU would actually cause one of the USA decisions to fire earlier). We fired it now, since we hoped it would keep the Axis in their toes and perhaps wonder if it would affect US Entry in some way.

hoi64.jpg

A ASW force based in Free French ports in Africa had started to hunt the IJN submarines around the Cape of Good hope. They found and sunk one, and then retreated back home, not ready to fight a full IJN CV fleet.

Back on the Home Islands, Admiral Cunningham had finally gotten his view on modern naval warfare on the Naval secretary´s table. It stated that carriers should not be combined with Battleships or other capital ships in fleets. The BBs would then attack the opposing surface vessels on their own, allowing them to focus their fire on a single target. Other capital ships should be in their own fleets, allowing them to move towards the enemy in force.

He also proposed that carriers should be massed, not spread out. The effectiveness of naval aviation was maximized if as many planes as possible could engage each ship. And so, he was given the largest carrier fleet the UK had ever assembled. Seven carriers, accompanied by seven of the newest and most modern light cruisers. The Task Force was sent from the Home Islands towards Alexandria, where it´s goal would be to engage the IJN forces in the Suez Channel...

To be continued.

Last edited:
Ok, folks - you don't have to avoid posting completely ;) Awfully silent here. Anyways... new post coming shortly.

And Zid - I didn't know Japan succeeded so well in Iraq. It looked quite scary for you, for a while. Good call to send reinforcements in time.

Carnage al Dente

Chapter XXIII - The Regia Marina is sailing out

Players: Players: UK, 0.5 USA, 1.5 USSR, GER, ITA, JAP, HUN(2nd half of this session)

Recap: During the autumn of 1941, Axis hopes of a quick victory was crushed. Instead, the previous successes was more or less stopped on all fronts. Italy saw this with growing frustration and quickly planned an Operation to stab at the back of the Brits.

The plan
The plan was fairly simple. RN was believed to have their main strength guarding the retreat-route of the landing force in France. A Task Force with battle ships had been spotted in the Med, but Il Duce was more eager to comfront it than he was afraid. He did not have troops available for a major landing operation, and his hope of actually holding any taken ground from a determined British counter-attack was close to zero. Strategically target like Gibraltar or Suez was out of the question. Instead, the target was Tobruk. It was lightly defended (if any) but close enough to Suez to force the Brit to act. The main objectives were:

1. Take Tobruk and crush any defenders.
2. Engage any Royal Navy ships
3. Tugg at the British attention - easing the pressure on France
4. Return with everything to Italy before UK can respond accordingly.

11-7.jpg

December 14th, 1941

The Italian naval bombers made an attack on the port of Malta, mostly as reconnaissance. They found the Battle Ship Task Force that had prowled the Med for years. It did not seem to have as powerful screen as earlier, though. If the Royal Navy wanted to face Regia Marina with this – it was more than ok by the Italian leadership.

The Italians did not have many fighters, as they were tied up in France, but it was believed that most of RAF was there as well. There had been plenty of CAGs seen in several of the battles. As the Regia Marina sailed out in force on their mission, they encountered some Soviet submarines which were sunk with Italy’s new ASW-technology.

12-8.jpg

December 17th, 1941

During the dawn of the 17th of December, da Zara’s task force was attacked by a swarm of British swordfish planes. It was obviously a major miscalculation that the British CAGs were not based closer to France or in other ways occupied or on repairs. Although the Italians had support of ground based fighters and naval bombers, it was all for naught. The reports are a bit shady, but apparently none of the Italian ships ever saw any of the British but was all the same under a maddening attack from CAGs.

In some kind of panic, da Zara retreated from the hell he had ended up in and managed to retreat without losing a single ship. Most ships were however damaged in some way or another. The old fool did, however, not seek shelter to the port of Taranto but chose to flee out to the open ocean...

13-8.jpg

December 17th, 1941

Afterwards, da Zara could not really explain why he had fled out to sea. It was a small thing for the British fleet to chase him down and engage him again. This time, ships started to sink. As he saw the Heavy Cruiser, wearing his name, sink in front of his eyes he went mad with anger and called in reinforcements from a Task Force further north.

14-9.jpg

December 18th, 1941

The second Italian task force did not manage to lock the Brits in the Easter Ionian Sea, but instead the British Carrier Task Force managed to hit both Italian Task Forces. The Italian ships still managed a better positioning than their counterparts but they were still unable to significantly hurt or even reach the enemy. Instead, they were completely crushed by the CAGs. This time, da Zara made the extraordinary stupid decision to flee to the worst port in Italy. Not only was Tirana undefended – it was also unsupplied.

An airborne supply-bridge was immediately created and fighters managed to chase away the British CAGs after a while. Still, the shattered fleet had received a few hours of bombings in the port.

That was not the worst thing. As the port was undefended and the Brits guarded the water, the Brits would surely bring in troops to flush out the fleet. German paras were called for…

15-6.jpg

December 22nd, 1941

The German paras had been far away and needed to change base. The order had been given but it took too much time to organize the jump. The Brits got there first. Da Zara had to sail out to the hostile fleet just waiting for him. It was pure suicide.

Authors note: This was more or less expected. A German jump had probably just delayed the inevitable as Zid could bring in more troops while Axis could not.

16-6.jpg

December 22nd, 1941

Authors note: A citation from the beautiful movie “Aliens”. “It’s game over man”.

I have never endured so much pain during a HoI-game. Some of the pain come from the feeling of “injustice” (comments regarding game mechanics in seperate thread. DONT comment game mechanics in the AAR) , which is an almost a funny word in the middle of a war. It was a bad call to sail out, and Zid made the right call to give me a royal beating…

In hindsight, I shouldn’t have charged in with my second fleet, but the plan was to lock the Brits in combat in the southern sea-zone while my battered fleet could escape.

What pains me most is probably that I put a lot of resources in this fleet and then lost it in one swift stroke. Also, the fact that I never really manage to fight any of the naval battles the way I had planned them, with good fighter cover and backed with naval bombers. Except the battle were I sunk a Battle Cruiser, Zid have managed to surprise me or in any way hit me when my fleet was not in proper order. I’m a bit annoyed with myself for that. Playing a careful game with the Italians is bad for my nerves and has caused me to do rash moves… and Italy just can’t handle any such mistakes. Also, not to forget; a big hand for Zid. He has really excelled as UK. His multitasking skills and foreseeing* naval maneuvers is just scaring.

* Much later I found out that this partcular battle was not forseeing. He was on hos way to the Red Sea and more or less passed by. Talk about timing.

A small luck in all the horror. The Royal Navy did not persue the last remnants of the Regia Marina which limped northwards to the ports in Venice. But it was not much of a fleet.

17-5.jpg

December 10th, 1941

More than a week before the disaster of the Regia Marina, the Brits started to fall back in France. A German paradrop robbed them of a potential escape route – but the Axis pressure was still not powerful enough to be of any deep concern for the Brits.

18-7.jpg

December 25th-27th, 1941

During Christmas, there were some fierce battles in Parthenay. The Italians became victorious with quite severe losses on the British side. As the Brits retreated behind the river, the Third British Offensive on France had come to an end. The Brits managed to retreat without losing any division, although they lost quite a few men.

19-6.jpg

December 30th, 1941

The Brits ended the year with yet another victory – by chasing away the government the Japanese had installed in Iraq.

With the raising threat of a US entry in the war, the Japs did not want to be stuck deep into Iraq and Persia. Retreating was not, however, an easy task.

Authors note: With Germany still locked up deep into Soviet, and Japan starting to prepare for the US entry, it seemed as United Kingdom was about to defeat Axis by themselves. Il Duce, who lacked the strength to punish them, had fits of frustration.

20-5.jpg

December 24th, 1941

On Christmas, the Wehrmacht had pushed the Red Army even further back, and thus left Moscow far behind. With the high dissent within their own ranks, it was not believed that the Soviet production could be anything significant. Their troops still needed to be neutralized, and the Wehrmacht had great difficulty doing it during the winter conditions, especially with all the British attention. The war seemed to drag on and would not be finished anytime soon. The spirit of the Axis which was so great with the death of Stalin had now become significantly bleaker.

22-5.jpg

January 1st, 1942

The first day of the New Year rewarded the Wehrmacht with a successful encirclement in the south, trapping and destroying two enemy infantry divisions. Although no huge victory, it was well needed and boosted the Axis morale.

23-2.jpg

January 3rd, 1942

The United States of America was not far away from joining the world war now – that much was clear. The Axis dreaded this. With the Red Army very much alive, the Axis would soon end up in a land of great pain.

Authors note: The Italian leadership thought that Japan would be the first target of the Allies. With KM and RM badly decimated, and IJN not as strong as it once was, Japan could not hope to resist an Allied push very long. With Japan gone and fragments of the Red Army still alive, UK and USA could really start hurting Germany and Italy.

Still, we must not forget Victory Conditions. Axis has 9. At this point in the game, the Axis leaders hadn’t realized you only need 12 to win (for the simple reason that no game of ours has ever been even close to be determined by VCs). This answers why we haven’t been targeting VCs like we should have.

Last edited:
It’s game over man
I saw that on the bottom and got scared, that naval action looked really bad...
Though to be honest i didnt really like the plan of taking tobruk, chances are that you would have been attacked on the retreat or earlier.

Are there more german panzers on the way down south or are those 4 we can see the only ones?

This was a bad plan and terrible execution. I think that you paid the price for not doing proper reconnaissance first. What suxx is that your fleet retreated to a wrong province. It's baaaaad when you lose so many ships due to a problem with the game mechanics.

Still, I think that besides that mistake, your Italian strategy has been sound so far. You are alive and kicking in 1942 in MP, which is a big accomplishment when we compare this game with the previous games of the Carnage Group.

The USA will join soon. I'm wondering what they will do...

By this point, the US should have a strong air force, a very powerful navy and a credible land army. I think he will only have enough land forces for one theater though. Thus the question is, always, Germany or Japan first. Japan first would make for a longer and thus more interesting game imo. However, keeping the soviets in the game has a merit all it's own. Excellent game play by Zid. IMO, he is the MVP in this game.

If this is a "mechanics question" then I apologize. Have you guys been working to raise Germany's threat at all? It would seem that with the USSR, The UK, and The USA all concentrating on Germany to raise threat that his threat would be much higher by now.

"game over."

I feel your pain. falling victim to an accidental Taranto hit like that would give anyone fits.

You lads sure put on a lively show.

As for Zids passing fleet remember Napoleon: I know he is good but is he lucky ? It would seem that the good captian had bad luck, whilst Zid has Lady Fortuna in his lap feeding him grapes.

Once again well done for making two of the 'sideshow' nations the centrepiece of attention. And we wait the RN - IJN clash with bated breath.

Well, as much as I sympathize with the Capten's frustration, that's probably just how the cookie crumbles. Your country spends years preparing for war and when the time comes, it either turns out well or it doesn't. Whether it's because you bet on the wrong tech (yes, I'm looking at you, Mr. Maginot) or your opponent just lucked out... sometimes things turn to s**t.

Not that I could see how a raid on Africa would have mattered much in the scheme of things. Looks like this one will be decided on the plains around Stalingrad...

That said, as others pointed out, it's been a longish game already, and Italy is still substantially intact, it's been a pretty wild ride, and I have no idea what happens next.

that's harsh for Italy , their fleet is lost on its first sortie!
It's too late anyway , but would it be against your house rules to do something like push USA into allies camp by increasing threat of an american minor?

I guess we now get a pretty good idea how the king of Spain must have felt when he got word about the Armada going down the drain due to a vicious storm (or maybe the jetstrem, I don't remember) with Nelson just waiting for them to make a mistake.

Awfully silent here.

You know Big Brother etc :)

About Italian "unluck".

Looking positive it may probably saved lot of land forces which would be imidietly cut of after landing so it would be even more painful, it may look terrible but could be even worse.

I would like to see axis fight to bitter end if things doesn't go to well, combined american english landing in Italy and marines fighting with lot of air and massive naval support in Pacific with IJN like in RL.

Germany first like in RL is the most sensibile strategy and should be.

Good question, actually. I'd wager he's building lots of aircraft lately. If nothing else, he can use them quickly to take out Allied CAGs and possibly open up routes for Axis bombers against Allied fleets.

Another question is what is Japan doing. Haven't heard anything of them lately and wondering what they are up to.

From one ex-Duce to another one : ouch !

... recon... is the only word that come to my mind... and such a bad luck... It all lools like Trafalgar... Huge fleet is out and... it went straight to the bottom of the sea. But as you said, you did not follow your own plan (e.g. you did not have enough INT to cover your fleet) and you paid the price.

Only two things come to my mind :

- you should relief de Zara of its command (well, he is probably at the bottom of the sea as we speak)
- replace your Fleet Commander... just to make an example ! It won't change much but you will be able to write down in your next AAR that Mussolini did address this crisis !

For the rest, the RN, looking at the name (BB) you lost, is fully dead. You can't even dream to do something with the remnants you have. How painful this is... is beyond imagination. Prepare yourself form ore suffering as, from now on, you lost the initiative. Good luck !

By this point, the US should have a strong air force, a very powerful navy and a credible land army. I think he will only have enough land forces for one theater though.

Japan has played a solid game and has done some real damage to the Russians, but I think withdrawing to prep for the Americans was a mistake. US can't demolish Japan instantly no matter how extended. The Russians have gotten breathing space without any actual US assistance now. Still, I will reserve final judgement until I see how Japan responds to the US war when it arrives. Hopefully he is planning something big.