• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
isn't 1938 scenario start on sept the only 1938 scenario?

Ah, Italy the coolest underdog.
Theoretically Africa can be defended, in one of previous games with German support Italy even captured Suez.
But it is "all or nothing" approach which has to be decided early and Germany has to support Italy in this endeavour.
Immortal CAGs are making this approach much harder and hence most players drop out of Africa. Or go through Turkey for Suez.

Turkey should be the third target after yugo and greece

Nice to see a new MP AAR from you CptEasy, always a good read.

The Italian navy will never be a match for the Royal Navy, but it can do decent if played well. Looking forward to what you can achieve with it. One of the strongest Italy plays I have seen in MP has been a combination of an infantry army backed up by a huge air force, the latter is very important in FTM because of the air base rules (planes lose org on rebase). With this in mind, using CAG's from land bases can be a viable strategy for Italy, if they can afford the officers to research air launched torpedo tech and have rrom in production.

I suggest producing a lot cheap single brigades of MIL (easy on officers, which is most important) and simply putting one on every coastal province in mainland Italy. The purpose of these brigades is not to stop the enemy, but to detect landings quickly. 50 MIL brigades, or however many are needed, are quite quick and cheap to produce. No need to upgrade them or anything.

AFAIK militia uses different practical than infantry (this has never made much sense IMO), so it might not be the best idea...

The biggest problem with Italy in HOI3 is that they aren't much of a match for the RN naval-wise, so that the RN can roam the Med freely even in 1940-1941. The naval side of the game is its weakest point IMO (this includes amphibious invasions).

However, a strong player like CptEasy will probably be able to cause the Allies some problems... Right? ;)

Last edited:
AFAIK militia uses different practical than infantry (this has never made much sense IMO), so it might not be the best idea...

In our MP group we use a mod that change the leadership requirements, meaning building ships and planes also cost officers while the leadership-to-officer ratio is reduced. With this in mind, the officer cost is very important when building a lot of brigades for pure invasion detection.

Since I haven't played vanilla in quite a while, this might not be the case in this game. I guess GAR brigades could work as well, the point is that it needs to be something cheap (IC and leadership wise) and quick to build. As an Allied player it is quite annoying to not be able to make undetected landings, and without good intelligence the invader will not know it is only a single brigade defending the province. I do not say this way of guarding the coastline is essential but it certainly has its merits, especially in a hectic MP game with no pauses (sometimes you detect landings days after they have occurred...)

AFAIK no modding is involved in this AAR.

The whole concept of "undetected landings" is stupid IMO. It's not the Middle Ages, basic detection wasn't sth uncommon. In HOI3 it's possible to land the whole army unopposed and without the defender noticing anything if the player is busy on the other front. Oh, and you can land ANYWHERE almost instantly.

I don't know why the Carnage group is so reluctant to use HRs when it comes to amphibious invasions. The way they are handled in the game detracts from the experience IMO.

Ok, time to stop this discussion, CptEasy & his group can operate with whatever houserules give them an acceptable game. All this is doing is rehearsing a completely predictable set of opinions. If you see a need to continue the debate can I suggest opening a thread on the main HOI3 forum

When does CptEasy give us our early christmas gift?! :D

I think this will be cpt easy's toughest challenge yet,being italy. I will keenly follow this.
Lets roll.:)

Nice to see another Carnage game !

I played Italy once and seized Suez whitin the first weeks of the war, by building up previously a strong force in Lybia, but ended gloomily...

Good luck to all players ! I'follow for sure, as always.

Lots of activities here during Christmas, I see. Very nice. Hope all of you had a good Christmas. I managed to LAN some Command & Conquer Zero Hours with my brother in law. It happens to be a long standing tradition as well :) You need a break in all the sociolizing...

When does CptEasy give us our early christmas gift?! :D

When do you begin?

We have a long awaited game night tonight. Due to jobs and vacations the game has been on ice for roughly a month (terrible). After tonight, however, I expect the game to have reached far enough for me to able to start posting chapters without giving away to much to my opponents.

Cheers.