• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Obviously, PI should review the puppeting / out of supply impact to allow for something more realistic. Maybe they will address that in their upcoming "Finest Hour" (probably not, but we can wish they would).

Yes, I guess so. Or we as player must plan our strategies accordingly. It was a misstake on our side to be taken by surprise by this. But, on the other hand, the "truce"-thing appears to be a little random, so it is hard to calculate on for hand what will happen.

How have you solved it in your MP group?

Finally just got caught up with the thread. I'd be lying if I said I was anything other than disappointed with the ending. The game had been so riveting to this point, masterfully played by all parties, and I truly expected the ending to be nothing less. To have it end so quickly and so anticlimactically was a heart-breaker.

Better late than not :) Yes, I was dissappointed as well. It was just hopeless to continue after that terrific loss. Germany would have crumbled within months, and Italy soon after, obviously.

Yes, I guess so. Or we as player must plan our strategies accordingly. It was a misstake on our side to be taken by surprise by this. But, on the other hand, the "truce"-thing appears to be a little random, so it is hard to calculate on for hand what will happen.

How have you solved it in your MP group?

The puppeting/truce thing ?

We try not to get caught in Minors when it happen... :D

More seriously, when I feel it is about to happen, I usually keep a couple of stand alone brigades behind to quickly re-open supply route back towhere I need it. Usually a port nearby. In our last game, UK lost 4 divisions when he took Istanbul from us (Axis) but it turned Komintern instead of Allies... as USSR had more VP. I guess he miscalculated...

Also, when we take Minors back... as Axis, we seldo free them again... to avoid such situation to occur again. Better having them dead than alive I guess.

Bottomline, we don't have any home rules or limitations of any kind. Neither did we mod HoI3 to prevent anything like this from happening.

The puppeting/truce thing ?

We try not to get caught in Minors when it happen... :D

More seriously, when I feel it is about to happen, I usually keep a couple of stand alone brigades behind to quickly re-open supply route back towhere I need it. Usually a port nearby. In our last game, UK lost 4 divisions when he took Istanbul from us (Axis) but it turned Komintern instead of Allies... as USSR had more VP. I guess he miscalculated...

Also, when we take Minors back... as Axis, we seldo free them again... to avoid such situation to occur again. Better having them dead than alive I guess.

Bottomline, we don't have any home rules or limitations of any kind. Neither did we mod HoI3 to prevent anything like this from happening.

Same in our group.

And even though the system sounds really weird, it isn't that far fetched. Something similar almost happened in Hungary in WW2 and was only thwarted by operation panzerfaust led by Otto Skorzeny.

Last edited:
Carnage al Dente

Chapter XXXV - Epilogue

When Germany suddenly crumbled, Il Duce quickly confronted the Allies and initiated peace talks – trying to appear like it had nothing to do with the German downfall. He was rather skilled in blaming the Germans for everything, claiming had had little choice. With plenty of problem at their hand, such as the still mighty Japanese Empire, the battered, leaderless Soviet Union falling into civil war and their own deep and still bleeding wounds, they settled with a rather small price. Italy had to give back all French lands, obviously, and give away Sardinia to the France. The Brits got Italy’s African colonies. The Soviet Union got back Moscow-area and Odessa. Still, Soviet Union was not united and different factions and regions struggled for domination or independence. Threatened by civil war, Odessa turned to their former Italian masters and ask them for protection. Il Duce gladly came to their aid and sent some of his most trusted men to seize power and keep the peace.

At home, Il Duce found little peace, however. More and more of the Italians questioned his rule and his actions. Bitterness burnt fiercely in the areas destroyed by the Allied invasion. Half a year after the end of the war, Il Duce was forced to throw the opposition a bone and eased his grip on the power – but the more they got, the more they wanted. Several of his best soldiers, that rightfully should get a hero status, started to get questions about war crimes in Spain. Half a year later, Il Duce silently fled the country together with the remnant of his loyal crew. He ended up in Odessa region where he took his seat in his grand dacha - and proclaimed independence from Italy. As up and coming parties in the new democratic Italy was in the middle of several dirt campaigns, trying to win the first election, nobody could really muster the power to do anything but ignore him.

And so Il Duce rules Odessa region for ten years while the bloody civil strife in Soviet faded out with a few countries winning independence. One of these was Ukraine – and Ukraine wanted Odessa back. Luckily for Il Duce, Ukraine was weak after the civil war with only fragments of a full government structure. They could not do much against Il Duce’s veterans. With time, Ukraine grew stronger and Il Duce grew older. Five years after the Ukraine independence, Il Duce accepted that Odessa would be a part of Ukraine but with a rather strong local leadership. Three years later, after a peaceful suggestion from a Ukraine diplomat, Il Duce and his remaining men simply handed the power over and retired to the village that had grown up around his dacha. Although some of them were still part of the local mafia, struggling for power and riches over the years, Il Duce used most of his time writing his memoires, as detailed as only a very self-centered person can do, over watching the Black Sea below his window.

--End--

Last edited:
Nice ending !

I was kind of hoping he would go to the US and become a leader of one of the five families in NY.

It's nice to see things end so... civilized for Mussolini and Italy.

Strange to have a friday without a Carnage update (this is just a semiupdate)... When is the next series starting? Naturally we'll get 2 updates compensating for the missing action, right? ;)

As I understand, carnage starts a new game as soon as the old one finishes. However, Cap doesn't immediately start on his AAR, since, if he did, he'd end up giving his opponents a major advantage, since they'd be able to see into his moves in real time. Instead, he lets a couple of sessions pass before he starts. Since Carnage is having a bit of trouble setting up games as frequently as they used to, a couple of sessions can mean one or two months.
Basically, I'd expect the new series around early October, at the earliest.

As I understand, carnage starts a new game as soon as the old one finishes. However, Cap doesn't immediately start on his AAR, since, if he did, he'd end up giving his opponents a major advantage, since they'd be able to see into his moves in real time. Instead, he lets a couple of sessions pass before he starts. Since Carnage is having a bit of trouble setting up games as frequently as they used to, a couple of sessions can mean one or two months.
Basically, I'd expect the new series around early October, at the earliest.

You might want to check this thread: Sudden Carnage

Somewhere, in that thread, Cpt Easy mentionned that the next AAR would be quite later.

Yes, I always let the game move an about a year before I start posting - although I always write the chapter just after a game while the blood is still running hot. I think I can actually start the next one pretty soon - although my fantasy is running a little low on the actual name of it...

Wow. Just wow.

I followed this AAR up to page 35 or so, when my interest sort of drowned in debate on irrelevant stuff and moderator posts. When I had some time earlier today I thought I'd just read up on how things went - I figured the ending couldn't be far off.

Boy was I wrong! I had 30 pages of exciting AAR left, with things taking a turn in nearly every update and nothing was actually over till it was over. Damn great reading!

Thanks to everyone who participated. It's truly an AAR of epic proportions. Nearly as exciting as the history of the real thing.

Bravo! You seem to have really good game despite all the weirdness of PI games. HoI3 MP campaign lasting post 42 is great achievement of its own.

What great news, winning the Iron HeAARt Award 2012 with this AAR. A great reward for all the time spent. Thank you all for voting!

Was it ever in any doubt? This is the AAR that attracted me to all of your others :)