• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Great game!!!

I have to say, fairplay goes to the Axis for not rage quiting after the bitter peace event. I would really like to see this go till the end. Götterdämmerung!!! - /I do understand it is incredibly difficult mentally, when you know you'll loose anyway. I never could play till the end and it was single player. The fact that I actually lost in SP is not up for debate/ :blush:

Is Germany still aiming for Stalingrad? How will the peace be triggered, will you mod the 'bitter peace' in? As I don't think it will trigger twice.
House rule says:

USSR must go “Bitter Peace” if Stalingrad, Leningrad, Moscow and Vladivostok falls.

;and only Stalingrad is missing. Hence some form of peace would need to be triggered 'IF' it falls.

Regardless, I have no doubt the allies will pull it in. Japan is impossible to defend as it is overextended. Italy is virtually non existent. Germany perhaps focusing on planes can hold off for a while (if bitter peace is triggered - if not it'll end within a year).

If Maxyboy plays it out well for the US, it doesn't really matter though.

Oh, and Zid: You ROCK!!!

I have never before seen CptEasy make a blunder like this. A landing at Tobruk offered little potential reward to begin with while it involved high risks. Well that can happen when a capable and cunning player who is used to the main role suddenly finds himself in a support capacity.

Luckily, I can offer some solace: This AAR is the new winner of the Weekly AAR Showcase! Congratulations CptEasy! Well done Zid - your addendums make this AAR even better!

No - Luckily, I haven't made a blunder like this before. I guess it is inevetable when using my "normal" playing style with rather daring Operations thought up in a rush due to events just unfolding in front of me. Daring attackes are priced when successful but stupidified when disasterous - a fact that many generals have experienced in history.

And thanks for the Weekly Showcase nomination :) Much appreciated!

Engage the enemy more closely

Excerpt from "Naval Battles of the Second World War", by William Horner, Bantam books, 1962

I found two things interesting.

First - that CAGs were part of the aerial battle before the disasterous naval battle. Had I seen those CAGs I had been a lot more careful. But I didn't.

Second - Did you attack on the lone DD come before the bigger attacks? I can't remember that battle at all. Was it very quick? Or did it happen in the mids of all the chaos? Once again - had I seen the CVs I would never have sailed out.

New chapter later today.

Oh, and I am very proud that Sudden Carnage won the Iron HeAARt 2011. I see that as the finest price on the Forum. Thank you all who voted!

Dear CptEasy and Dear Zid.
Can you show to your great AAR readers more info about that naval battle?
I count 7 carriers on ENG side-> so 14 CAG appear in battle? Or they not fully loaded with planes?
Also I think a lot of people beyond me want to know what modifiers to attack/defence have both sides.

A big thanks for answering.

P.S. We want more naval battles:)

Carnage al Dente

Chapter XXIV - The attack on Sicily

Players: Players: UK, 0.5 USA, 1.5 USSR, GER, ITA, 2xJAP

Recap: The end of 1941 had been tough going for the Axis as their advances had stopped on most fronts. Soviet was still a powerful enemy and USA would most certainly join the Allies within short. United Kingdom had the initiative and could roam freely in the Atlantic and the Med after both Kriegsmarine and the Regia Marina had recieved crushing blows, crippling all their hopes of seriously challinging the might of the Royal Navy. There were no telling where the next blow would fall.

1-12.jpg

January 12th, 1942

The defense of Sicily was based on the idea that the Regia Marina could engage, together with the air force, with a landing fleet. Thus, the defenders on the coast were not really there to stop the enemy – but to delay them long enough for Italy to answer in air and on the sea. With the Regia Marina all but wiped out, the strategy was halting massively. The Italian leadership had tried to retreat the troop over the sound but Soviet submarines patrolled the strait and made it impossible.

The Brits had obviously realized this as well and attacked not long after the destruction of the Regia Marina.

2-11.jpg

January 13th, 1942

The Regia Aeronautika DID respond, however and soon made it difficult for Bomber Command to operate over Sicily. It mattered little, however, as the Brits landed in great force.

3-11.jpg

January 16th, 1942

On land the Brits cut Sicily in half and attacked Palermo, without significant resistance. In the air they had to pull back after meeting stunning counter-attacks by Regia Aeronautica and soon Italian bombs fell on the attackers as they struggled through the mountainous landscape.

4-12.jpg

January 20th, 1942

The Italians had little of what fire power was needed to stop armor. Still, the Brits would not get Sicily without combat. The Italians did lose ground pretty fast and the first half of the island was lost after a week.

5-11.jpg

January 25th, 1942

Amongst the rocks and old lava-streams of Catania, the Italians, supported by a German expeditionary infantry division, made their final stand. They did not have to suffer visits by Bomber Command. They did, however, receive a rain of naval gunfire. They could take the naval guns and as the Brits only managed to get to motorized divisions into the battle, it seemed they could hold on for a while.

6-11.jpg

January 27th, 1942

The Brits quite quickly managed to reinforce the attack and soon the last standing Italians on Sicily came under a vicious attack with hordes of Brits charging at them. It was simply impossible to hold them back.

7-10.jpg

January 28th, 1942

Just before the month would shift, the Italians in Catania surrendered and the Italian bombers pulled out. Sicily was lost.

Authors note: For some good ol discussions about game mechanics realted to amphibious assaults - http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?611362-CaD-Game-Mechanics-Discussions-Amphibious-and-Fight-to-the-Bitter-End-event&p=13903835&viewfull=1#post13903835go here. No discussions about game mechanics in this AAR please - but all other comments are much appreciated.

8-10.jpg

January 16th, 1942

In the middle of the winter, the Brits landed a small force in the north of Finland.

Authors note: We was somewhat surprised by this and could not understand what they wanted with this attack – except possibly pull at the Finish AI who was fighting with the Rus in the south of the country.

10-9.jpg

February 1st, 1942

Authors note: We suddenly noticed Soviet had once again got their surrender process back, although it was 100% after “Fight to the Bitter End”. We did not know how long it had been like this or why. As we really did not know about the event in the first place we simply though it was part of it someway and changed strategy accordingly…

11-8.jpg

February 4th, 1942

Authors note: We spied a suitable VP in range and charged against it. 2 VP would be enough…

12-9.jpg

February 6th, 1942

We sort of thought it was a good time to kill of the Rus…

13-9.jpg

February 12th, 1942

This looks good, doesn’t it? I have actually never seen this victory sign before in my life as games never tend to come this far. It somehow felt a little queer as we did not understand the game dynamics behind it. But it became clear as we talked with the heated Allied players. After choosing “Fight to the Bitter End” the Red Army had managed to capture a VP, and with that, the count was on again. When we retook the VP, the event fired again, and as we had changed to conquer – they lost it all. After some not entirely calm discussions the Axis agreed to a “Live and let live doctrine” ;) The last save (3rd of Feb) was to be modded to give Soviet more unity and thus a lower surrender process. IF Stalingrad would fall, however, they would have to fire the Bitter Peace event. So the game is on. To be continued…

If you want to discuss the game mechanics behind this odd event, please do so here as we would like the AAR to be free of game dynamic diskussions. But we love all the other comments (sorry to nag about this but we don't want tis AAR to be closed again).

Last edited:
Dear CptEasy and Dear Zid.
Can you show to your great AAR readers more info about that naval battle?
I count 7 carriers on ENG side-> so 14 CAG appear in battle? Or they not fully loaded with planes?
Also I think a lot of people beyond me want to know what modifiers to attack/defence have both sides.

A big thanks for answering.

P.S. We want more naval battles:)

Sorry Thanik. I don't have better screenis than this. I am quite impressed we managed to take any at all during the heat of battle :cool:

On which date was the American neutrality screenshot taken? Is there time to storm Stalingrad before Americans come in?

So what's the situation? I'm confused, are the Soviets still fighting? What does the Axis have to do to win?

Knock out Stalingrad I suppose.

Don't know why you agreed to mod the save game, though. You did beat the Soviets twice in this and the first time didn't seem to bother your opponents overly when they realised that it was just a warning shot.

The soviets were beaten once , well I don't count a VP being regained and lost again as a full defeat.
The USA played for nothing as the axis won just at the time they could join the allies ...

Well played by Zid yet again. Fantastic job soloing operation torch and husky. By the time the Americans join, Zid may have already liberated Paris. On a side note, I'm very impressed with the carnage groups ability to let fair play rein supreme. Considering the straights that the Axis are in, it would have been very tempting to let the Soviet surrender stand, and allow the chips to fall where they may. Kudos to all you guys for the effort put forth so far. I imagine the only thing more fun than reading the AAR is actually participating in it. Keep it up.

On which date was the American neutrality screenshot taken? Is there time to storm Stalingrad before Americans come in?

As we take a save about two weeks back there are a little time.... but Staligrad is faaar away.

Yes, go for Stalingrad instead. I live in Batumi! :mad:

I don't own the game -- what does 28% neutrality mean?

Well, the important thing in this case is that when the threat and the neutrality is the same, USA can join the war.

So what's the situation? I'm confused, are the Soviets still fighting? What does the Axis have to do to win?

Yes, they are. Axis have to hold on and win on VPs, or they can win on VCs. Taking Stalingrad and force Bitter Peace wont necessarily meen victory, but it will make it very tough for the Allies to win.

could we get a picture of the entire situation on the eastern front please?
im curious to know what it looks like :)

You will simply have to wait for a while ;) As this AAR already is written quite a few months in advance I simply have not stored the screens I did not use for the AAR. But it will come - I asure you.

Very nice report on the Invasion of Sicily, loved it.

Yes, but I realized I had used the same pictures twice. It is fixed now. January 20th is a new (and right) picture.

Someones's playing USA and another country simultaneously, no big loss.

At least some of the rounds. And as game is not over, the game ours on USA will hardly be wasted - although future will tell how much good it will do the Allies.

Good night.

Do you think, with hindsight, that a defense of Sicily was a good idea? It seems increadibly easy to block Italian movements to and from this island.

I'm wondering what Zid is up to in the north of Finland, especially with his flying army... not the terrain you'd want to use mobile infantry in.

Do you think, with hindsight, that a defense of Sicily was a good idea? It seems increadibly easy to block Italian movements to and from this island.

I'm wondering what Zid is up to in the north of Finland, especially with his flying army... not the terrain you'd want to use mobile infantry in.

It was a good idea initially in the war with a UK tied down on many fronts. It became slightly worse when Zid left India and concentrated on Europe - but the major turningpoint was the destruction of RM. After that it was just a pure waste - but I just could not get them ground troops back. But over all, the Italian islands are extremely difficult to protect but I wanted to give it a shot. Zid - plz fill in what you thought. Obviously you did not want to attack before RM was gone.

No - I don't have a clue on Finland either (at this stage). Maybe next chapter will give you a better idea.

Just by the looks of it, Sicily was a liability to begin with. In this game the British fleets could move freely all over the world and concentrate within few days everywhere. With the lull in operations lately, the British could as well have attacked Sicily to force the RM to engage them on the terms of the RN. I suspect that the results would've been much the same.