• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
So the Ai will never turn to Feudal contract or Popular law? Am I right? However I saw the russian principalities switching from salic gavelkind to other laws of inheritance. How it happened?

Last edited:
So the Ai will never turn to Feudal contract or Popular law? Am I right? However I saw the russian principalities switching from salic gavelkind to other laws of inheritance. How it happened?

There are events to change laws.

Oh I see now. So the event are like a crutches for the AI. OK and does it ever accepting an alliance proposals from the player? I never saw anybody accepting my offers of alliance and it seems that it doesn't depends on my diplomatic skills and reputation.

Oh I see now. So the event are like a crutches for the AI. OK and does it ever accepting an alliance proposals from the player? I never saw anybody accepting my offers of alliance and it seems that it doesn't depends on my diplomatic skills and reputation.

Since most if the time you can only have 1 ally at the same time and the ai usually is very quick in making alliances, getting an alliance offer accepted by the ai is ver rare.

Well and what kind of diplomatic abilities should you have for having 2 or more allies? I never saw anybody having more than 1 ally. Oh and are their any consequences for not joining your ally in war?

And does the AI ever sends a gifts to their vassals or to other rulers to improve relations? With the latest beta patch as far as I know it is pretty hard to improve you relations with the help of marriages, 'cause before you could just marry somebody of your relatives on somebody in a foreign court but now you need to marry only on the relatives of the ruler to improve you relations.

I'm playing as the Emperor of Scandinavia and I'm also king of Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. Now, I have primogeniture succession for the empire but none of the kingdoms and I'm having problems changing the laws. I just changed the crown authority in Sweden to high but my swedish vassals keep fighting with each other so I can't change it. In Norway I just changed crown authority to limited and I don't feel like waiting for 3-4 generations before I can change the succession laws, it's the same thing in Finland and Denmark. I'm pretty sure this will work but I want to check with you guys first; If I destroy the kingdom titles and then create them again they will have the same succession laws as my empire, won't they?

If I destroy the kingdom titles and then create them again they will have the same succession laws as my empire, won't they?

I think it may be quite dangerous to give away a king's titles even to you successors, because they can just change a law of inheritance and then you will completely lose control over the entire kingdom. And even more something nasty can happen to your successor or you may get the other one but the one before will hold his grip over the crown anyway. I never tried to do something like this. It is pretty hard to get a control over the king title so it seems ridiculous to cede your king title to somebody. Also I don't think that it is possible to create a title and then to destroy it. Somebody will get it anyway.

I have the other question also. What does it means that I can appoint or I can't appoint bisops (archbishops) in my state according to my laws regarding the Church? What's the point of appointing the bishops and how it can be done?

Would you mind posting in the correct forum please, ...[edited]....

Last edited:
yeah, sorry, you probably do, but "dicktits" didnt.
Btw, you cant destroy titles in CK1 so i assumed you were talking about ck2 as well and what do you mean with appointing Bishops according to laws ?
You have no influence on landed Bishops in CK1, only on your court chaplain. You are probably talking about the choices given to appoint a court chaplain ?

If your court position for the court chaplain is empty, with "church supremacy" the possibility of a Bishop given to you by an event is higher than with any other religious rule. At least thats how i remember it.
If you hand out a kingdom , they usually never choose any gavelkind succession.
It happened that they chose elective for securing the dynasty though and returned to the old sucession law later but very rarely, not common at all.
I never had Problems with it (not true, but only once or twice), but of course the successor can die out of stress or too much couch surfing... ;)

Btw, you cant destroy titles in CK1 so i assumed you were talking about ck2

That's right. That is what I wrote before. I am quoting myself now:

Also I don't think that it is possible to create a title and then to destroy it. Somebody will get it anyway.

what do you mean with appointing Bishops according to laws ?

I don't know how it works in the game that is why I am asking. But fortunately you clarified some things for me.

You have no influence on landed Bishops in CK1, only on your court chaplain.

That is what I wanted to know. Now I clearly understood that I have no influence on local bishops or archbishops. Thanks! :)

Just in case you dont know, if you create a bishophric it will return its land to you if that bishop becomes the pope.

Any independent Bishop though will add his land to the vatican if elected as pope. So dont let them get/stay independent. Just in case. :)

On your other post regarding relations, i dont know if the AI hands out presents, but i doubt it. That number doesnt matter that much anyway. The traits, claims and loyalty are more important regarding events of revolt etc.
In other words, spending gold to improve relations is more or less senseless and a waste of money.
Improving loyalty of your vassals by money gifts makes a lot sense though.

Last edited:
Improving loyalty of your vassals by money gifts makes a lot sense though

That's what I am talking about. I doubt that the AI uses it. I saw how powerful kingdoms were teared apart because after the death of a powerful ruler they could not do anything to stay in one piece (and the new ruler caught "realm duress" trait pretty quick).

And by the way, why does the AI sometimes not even trying to create kings titles? For example, I see pretty powerful Ryazan that is having enought provinces to create Rus, but they are not doing it for some unknown reason. The same situation with Scotland. I saw their king, which is having 3 king titles (of Scotland, Wales and of Norway) and they also controlled almost all of the Irish lands, but they never declared themselves as a kings of Ireland. But after I won several wars and gained the titles of the kings of Norway, Scotland and Wales they declared themselves as a kings of Ireland. What is the real reason for such behaviour? Does the AI fears the title of Emperor?

Also I want to understand how I can effectively use the ducal titles? I only found that this titles could be used only to pacify some of you disloyal vassals. Are their any other reasons to create a dukedoms?

Moreover is their is a good map of the duchies in the game? I found one in FAQ section but it seems it is outdated (I didn't found duchy of Tavasts)and it is very small and it very hard to distinguish the names of the duchies.

Last edited: