• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(314233)

Second Lieutenant
19 Badges
May 11, 2011
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Penumbra - Black Plague
  • Cities in Motion
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II
I want to give another try to Vic II with POP demand mod, and before starting i have a question. If i remember correctly democracies like USA gains much population with immigration. So is uniting German states with Frankfurt event thus having a democratic state better than having monarchy?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, but...

I don´t have the numbers in the head, but afaik the immigration bonus for American countries (i.e. countries in North or South America) is much higher than the democracy bonus.
So being (democratic) Germany rather than German Empire would help, but not much.
It would be hard to move Germany to the Americas (world conquest?)

Do american provinces of European nations get the Immigration bonus???

Not sure if the capital needs to be in the Americas, or just the province in question. Isn't it the capital?

It is quite possible that if you wish to use PDM, that this thread might be better served if it could be moved to the PDM Sub-forums.

On another note, if you do use PDM, the pops tend to gravitate towards democratic governments that protect minorities and have naturalization immigration policies.

I always found that going Democratic as Germany eventually leads to the Liberal Party coming into power, thus destroying your military and hampering your ability to wage wars in Europe.

Generally I'm okay with emmigration, because the people who migrate tend to be the jobless, who also tend to become the ANGRY jobless thus a hassle when they rebel down the line. The Americas serve as a decent siphon until I manage to pick up some colonies.

It's better to try to make sure everyone gets a job and help your economy rather than going to a country in Americas and fuel their growing economy. This one of the main reasons why some South American nations become Great Powers in late game.

If you want to play a country in Europe and retain people that are jobless then establish some colonies. I believe that there's a higher preference for pops migrating internally even over going to the US.

Just reform into a HM Government for the best of both worlds?

It is quite possible that if you wish to use PDM, that this thread might be better served if it could be moved to the PDM Sub-forums.

On another note, if you do use PDM, the pops tend to gravitate towards democratic governments that protect minorities and have naturalization immigration policies.

I agree. Immigration is diferent in PDM, AFAIK the bonuses are not nearly as big as in vanilla for democracies. So, you will find better tips there.

Also, in PDM or vanilla, and I find much easier to follow the historical route to form Germany: declare war on Denmark soon with War of Unification CB, get the cores you need from them, put all the north germans in your SoI (don't forget Hannover!). Then, wait, see if Bavaria will become a GP - annex them as soon as they become one, before they form alliances besides Austria - if that seems not likely, get Alsaice-Loraine first, then Assert Hegemony on Austria, and there you go: German Empire. Then, you can turn the nation into one of the dictatorships through reforms later (put some reactonaries as ruling party, then reform back to 'no voting' and 'ruling party only') and, from that to democracy, it's easy.

Then, you can turn the nation into one of the dictatorships through reforms later (put some reactonaries as ruling party, then reform back to 'no voting' and 'ruling party only') and, from that to democracy, it's easy.

The ruling party doesn't affect your ability to pass or roll back reforms, that depends on the composition of your upper house. You'd need to have a reactionary majority in the UH.