• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Your no download version is a Steam version. Retail version are all Steam's. If you bought digital the patch and DLCs are available in the same portal you bought it. But since it's a CD then its Steam.

I have no idea about it because I bought digital, but I know that retails are Steam, so the procedure to install must include Steam installation. Are you sure it is not installed already?

You can access Tech part of the forum here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?602-Tech-Support

To do that you need to register your game in the forum. Follow instructions here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...*Why-you-should-register-your-game-and-HOW***

no, i have the VERY FIRST cities in motion cd, it is without steam (luckily). it does NOT install steam.
the next version that came out on cd, which was the cities in motion collection, included steam and installed steam.
the first cd does not.

it does, though, at install put a steam_api.dll file into the game-install folder, BUT it does not install steam and does not require steam to run (like the cim collection version does).

it is no steam version, it runs completely offline and it does not require steam to be installed and/or running.
it is a stand alone cities in motion that only has a steam_api.dll but nothing else, it does not install steam nor ever asks for steam.

thats why i took it, i dont like steam and i only buy games that dont force me to be online.
i want to play offline all the time (and i dont want to install steam and then play offline with steam offline running, i want no steam (nor anything alike), but only the game).

so the first version (at least in germany) was a NON STEAM version and it does not and can not update with any of the online versions.
there must exist a patch .exe file for the update to v1.022.
i still run v. 1.09.
i need 1.022.

my question : where is it ?

how can i install the update ? (and please : no update that forces me to install steam. i never play online, thus i dont need and i dont want steam or any of those "online-forcing-programs").

where is the update for the first retail version cd game citiies in motion (non steam, germany : koch media cd) ?

If you register your game on the forum (as douglasrac suggested) you will be able to access the Tech Support subforum for Cities in Motion. You can then download the latest patch from this thread.

If you do have a non-Steam retail CD that is quite unusual. As far as i know, even the initial retail version of the game (not just the Collection) was supposed to be tied to Steam.

EDIT: There are also many different online retailers selling the various DLCs and expansion packs. Take a look at this page, or this page. Bear in mind that those lists may not be exhaustive or include all the DLCs available.

Last edited:
it is no steam version, it runs completely offline and it does not require steam to be installed and/or running.
it is a stand alone cities in motion that only has a steam_api.dll but nothing else, it does not install steam nor ever asks for steam.

I'm sorry but if you don't have Steam but only a steam_api.dll it's a pirate version.
It seems very logic to me that Paradox decided to deliver Steam version to all retail versions, because this way you can update by Steam. And if you by online you update in the website you bought.
There is no other way. I cannot say for sure because I'm not the publisher, but I've being in this forum since the launch of the game and never heard of this case of yours.

As slornie said you can update your game in the Tech Support area of the forum, which you can access by registering the game.

Also you don't need to be online to play Cities in Motion, not even with Steam version. Also even with Steam version you can run directly from exe since CiM do not have DRM. So there is no such a thing as "i only buy games that dont force me to be online."

I understand you hate Steam, many does, so buy Gamersgate, Gamefly, Game whatever.

Replying you first question again:

where can i get

1. the latest patch (at tech support? where is that? link please) ?
Tech Support: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?602-Tech-Support
Register: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...*Why-you-should-register-your-game-and-HOW***

2. dlc (like german cities or new york etc.) ?
http://www.citiesinmotion.com/buy

Last edited:
I'm sorry but if you don't have Steam but only a steam_api.dll it's a pirate version.

mine only has steam_api.dll and i got it from desura but no key

If you register your game on the forum (as douglasrac ..If you do have a non-Steam retail CD that is quite unusual. As far as i know, even the initial retail version of the game (not just the Collection) was supposed to be tied to Steam...

I've got a retail CD bought in New Zealand for $33.55NZ and I can still buy them from here

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Games/Cit...3&rid=212057209&i=1&keywords=cities+in+motion

got the latest update and the DLCs from Gamersgate

@cimuserg: The developers have explicitly stated that the retail version is only available with Steam:

The retail version is only with Steam. You can get a non-Steam version from other digital portals (like Gamersgate, Impulse).

If you happen to have a copy without Steam then, as i said earlier, you are in a rare minority. As you have stated your disk has a steam_api.dll on it, this suggests that it was intended to have Steam but for some unknown reason this was not included (a glitch or other oversight during manufacture, perhaps).

Since your version doesn't have Steam, the other route to acquiring the latest patch is to register your game on these forums (run by Paradox Interactive) and download from the tech support forum. I don't see how this can be seen as a "rip-off plan" by Paradox. As for Steam being a rip-off, i disagree. How many other retailers have such a large catalogue of games with automatic updating and frequent sales at highly competitive prices?