+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best army composition

Master of the Universe CaptRobau's Avatar
    Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Iron CrossMajesty 2Victoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Best army composition

Do you guys have any tips for what the best army composition is for European warfare. When I play, I generally win from small or uncivilized countries, but the big European nations are much tougher. Currently I'm playing as Russia. My composition is armies of 4 inf + 1 art + 1 dragoon.

This might be a tech thing as well. What are the best techs to get for land warfare?

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHeir to the Throne
    Leviathan: WarshipsMarch of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSengoku
    The Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Generally I try to keep one artillery per each infantry in an army (thus each infantry getting a bonus from having a gun behind it). Cavalry I never put in a larger number than 4 (sometimes 2), as in this case they are helping your infantry as well (unless the enemy has a larger front line than you).
    If you want to get really technical, it's best to count the available combat squares at your tech level (higher tech = narrower front line) and have one inf and artillery for each space of the front line, possibly with room for a cav on each side.

The above is what I would use to create a 'full army', which is meant to go toe-to-toe with enemies. I would usually supplement full armies with 'mobile armies' which include 4 cav and x inf, but no artilllery. These are used to get to the defensive positions before enemy armies with cannon can, to rush to the aid of a full army in danger, occupy provinces, etc.

Finally, it all depends on your economic and numeric possibilities. As Russia you should be able to use the above formulae pretty effectively, but keep in mind that when fighting more advanced (i.e. any) Europeans, you will need to use your manpower and superior numbers to your advantage. Having a number of armies fighting in one battle can be very useful for a country like Russia, where cycling out demoralized armies and replacing them with fresh ones will be a surefire way to overwhelm the smaller manpower pools of your western foes.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

While in ideal conditions, having one art for each inf will get you the most firepower, keep in mind that infantry will be depleted throughout the course of multiple battles unless you give the army enough time to recover. Thus I prefer to use a 2:1:1 ratio of inf:cav:art. In later stages, the proportions shift to include more artillery and less cavalry (approx 3:1:2).

EDIT: As for techs, the most useful are the second column (to unlock guards, MGs, and bolt-actions) and the last column which gives Tactics bonuses. All will give you an advantage, but if you're investing a minimal amount of research on military, those two trees are the most worth it.

academic outlaw Moderator safferli's Avatar
    DiplomacyV2 BetaHoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors EditionEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Everything that The Arch Mede has said. Artillery is super-powerful if you have a 50/50 split of Guards and Art (and the techs)
    When I speak in regal, manly grey I do so as a moderator.
    Never publicly comment or answer to a moderation post. Please write a PM (see Rule #2 of the Forum Rules).

--
    How to give a proper man-to-man hug

Ireland's Teardrop -- EU3 DW Munster/Ireland AAR. Follow the story of Munster, taking over the entire North American continent!
    Rule Helvetia! Helvetia Rule the Waves... -- Victoria 2 beta AAR. Watch Switzerland defeat the British Royal Navy... or die trying!
    What if the Pope had 200,000 men? -- A Papal States EU3 1.3 aar (abandoned/finished after owning 70% of the world)

Sword of the StarsSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided500k club

Never would've thought artillery was so important. I guess tried to see it in a realistic. Thus when I saw a 3,000 artillery brigade I thought it would be enough to cover several thousand men of infantry (which would be historic as normally there'd be only about a battery per thousand men or something like that).

Arsenal of DemocracyCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagickaVictoria: Revolutions
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Well the 3k just represent the men arming the brigade, now the actual amount of cannons.

Quote Originally Posted by 123xyz8 View Post
    Well the 3k just represent the men arming the brigade, now the actual amount of cannons.
    Yes but a batallion of (multiple batteries) would have ca. 500 men around the time of the American Civil War. Real brigade size artillery wasn't common till WWII according to Wikipedia.

I don't usually pay attention to army composition (mostly its quantity and tech level) so I'm building armies with guards and some artillery - they remain powerful to the end of the game, so there is no need to replace them. Also, building tanks and airplanes in the late game.

But I have some questions: am I missing something really cool without cavalry? If yes, which type of cavalry is best (because they seem almost the same to me)?
    And also how crucial to have cavalry for different types of countries (colonial powers, mid-european continental, high tech level, low-level, etc.) and different periods of game?

Major
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiVictoria 2Pride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by ajax.hsp View Post
    I don't usually pay attention to army composition (mostly its quantity and tech level) so I'm building armies with guards and some artillery - they remain powerful to the end of the game, so there is no need to replace them. Also, building tanks and airplanes in the late game.

But I have some questions: am I missing something really cool without cavalry? If yes, which type of cavalry is best (because they seem almost the same to me)?
    And also how crucial to have cavalry for different types of countries (colonial powers, mid-european continental, high tech level, low-level, etc.) and different periods of game?
    cavalry has a bonus for reconaisance, making for faster capture of territory and faster reducing of the enemy's dig-in bonus, they also move faster
    their stats are still somewhat good in early game, but in middle and end-game they are best used for rebel hunting, occupation and colonial wars
    Just because everyone is capable of having an opinion doesn't mean that nobody is full of shit.

The lack of Belgian patriotism is easily demonstrated by this: there is 1 somewhat succesfull (AKA it's sometimes heard on radios) pro-belgium song and it's sung and written by a dutch man (not an immigrant either, someone who still lives in the Netherlands)

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Cavalry, except dragoons, can flank : they can engage a unit which is two squares away from it, sorta like how artillery can engage from behind the frontline, but horizontally instead of vertically.

I generally build armies according to the supply limit I have researched.

Generally, I will scan the map and see what the average supply limit of the provinces within my immediate area can support. I will then divide it by 2, on the supposition that, when engaging an enemy, there will be two armies of roughly equal size in the region (his and mine). This will give me a good estimate of the overall size of any army I want to build.

For this purpose, do not overlook the advances in the Industry/Chemistry & Electricity file. These allow a larger sized force as time progresses, and keep attrition to a minimum.

Once I know the general size of the army I can support, I will build out in the proportion of 4 Infantry:4 Artillery:2 Cavalry (early game), substituting Armour & Aircraft (for Artillery & Cavalry respectively) as research progresses.

My initial armies will usually be 10 brigades, increasing as research advances. Late-game, I usually have 57-60k sized armies (20 brigades). I always use at least 2 cavalry units per army, one for each end of the line.

For Cavalry, I distinguish between Regular Cavalry/Hussars and Dragoons/Cuirassiers. The former I use with standard Infantry to augment their low recon value; the latter I pair with Guards when available, as the Guards' intrinsic recon value is sufficient for conversion of occupied territories.

When Guards become available, I will cycle Regular Cavalry into their own Armies and replace them with Dragoons/Cuirassiers. The latter have a better defense value, which helps them hold the flanks should the enemy outnumber me and get multiple units firing on each end of the line. The Cavalry armies I will use as advance guards, entering an enemy province ahead of my main force(s) and converting it to raise the supply level.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Def Zep; 21-12-2011 at 17:08.

+ Reply to Thread