• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thank you profusely for the replies!

loki100 - I was rather worried too, thankfully things got back to normal quickly with idiocy to the fore!

tamius23 - To attempt to unify Africa under Sokoto's banner I'd have to break the infamy limit at some point thus it seems best to do so as quickly as possible! As for the mountains, I can only imagine that is due to my horribly old and useless graphics card.

brycef - I think it may be a bit more insanity than balls! I do also rather hope the PM doesn't take an interest in Sokoto all too soon!

Tanzhang (譚張) - Yes, I want as many states as possible pre-westernisation so they are full states when that decision becomes available. Prestige is sorted easily by the warfare and for military power my constant encouragement of officers (a tip InnocentIII was kind enough to give), should allow me to recruit enough generals to boost that to 50 before the technologies are all researched.

As for Madagascar you are completely correct regarding my wish to grab her before France does! The reason I didn't wait until I had something of a navy is because I'm not very good when it comes to managing both an army and navy in Paradox games thus I rarely bother with a navy whatsoever. Which isn't usually a very good idea admittedly!

Arilou - I've just checked and they haven't been released thus I'm afraid not sure who you are referring to!

Rae - Too true regarding the boots, I have them on bulk order! As for the African minors, I've just had a quick check and Morocco and Algeria are predictably being ripped apart by Spain and France respectivelly. Tunis was long ago annexed by the Ottomans. Beyond that everything seems as to be expected, although worryingly Britain does seem to be increasing her influence over Oranjes.

Ivir Baggins - Many thanks for the kind words (your bribe is en route!).

Juan_de_Marco - Thank you for the kind words (your bribe is in the post!). I couldn't have stated my plan much better if I had tried! As you suggested, my intent was to go after Ethiopia and then Egypt straight after finished off Oman but unfortunately my horrendously inept gameplay has rather changed things. I'll now be lucky to merely survive, as this update shows!

Vaya con Queso - Yes, just the starting eight units. Barring Portugal, who has a far superior army, I've found Sokoto's starting forces more than enough to match most African minors, as you can see! Very wise words regarding Egypt, I was wanting to avoid a war with them and go after Ethiopia after dealing with Oman (you can see in second last screenshot for this coming update I even had men in Djibuti ready for an invasion of Ethiopia) but things didn't exactly go to plan, as this update shows!

InnocentIII - Many thanks, I'll certainly need the good luck having blundered into a very hairy situation! You are quite right regarding the infamy stuff, I have misquoted you (apologies!). Realising I have misquoted you, I am now far more scared!

NapoleonComple - Replace 'brave' with 'idiotic' or 'foolhardy' and I fully agree!

Tanzhang (譚張) - You could not be more right. I've found in other games that Ethopia is a very difficult enemy, thus I was only planning on attacking her after I had recruited some actual infantry. Unfortunately it is not her that I find myself at war with though, as this update sadly shows.

Vaya con Queso - You are completely correct regarding my income being too weak to support anything but irregulars pre-Freedom of Trade, thankfully it fired during this update though thus I am now able to support more brigades (actual infantry too!). Which is just as well.

Chapter Four - Oman, I Sphinx this is Bad​

As soon as war is declared Sokoto's forces hurry forward into Oman's undefended lands keen to loot and pillage as much as they can whilst also, rather more importantly, wishing to get as far from al-Hajj as possible before he returns from Madagascar.

UP4-1.jpg

Unfortunately this does leave Sokoto's mainland ever so slightly empty of troops to beat back a daring Omani amphibious landing. Thus whilst Sokot troops happily loot to their hearts content, the poor people of Ibo suffer the same fate at the hands of Oman. This entirely fair though, it is not as if soldiers are meant to protect their nation's innocent unarmed population.

Oman has chosen the right time to begin looting and pillaging within Sokoto too as with Freedom of Trade at last researched, Sokoto's population has far more wealth available to be stolen.

UP4-2.jpg

With this research completed, and the considerable increase in income which follows with it, the Sokot people begin to hope the horrifically high taxes, increased due to the numerous wars, may be slashed. The government, led by the conservative Royal Faction, sadly tell the poor that this is not possible, whilst quickly cutting rich taxes to the bare minimum. Sokoto is ever a land of equality.

Now that Freedom of Trade has been learned Sokoto's academics, their ranks now considerably swelled by the addition of many horrified intellectuals captured during Sokoto's recent conquests giving Sokoto an astoudingly high average literacy of 3.2%, are set to work on their next technology, Post-Napoleonic Thought.

UP4-3.jpg

The Sokot army is outraged upon learning that any such reasearch is even being considered. They cannot understand why Napoleonic tactics of massing musket clad men together and throwing them forward at entrenched, accurate rifle and cannon equipped enemies need be changed.

Whilst gathering together forces to push the Omani army out of Ibo said forces are left hugely surprised when Yemen attacks despite being hugely outnumbered.

UP4-4.jpg

The Sokot army can only assume that their pink uniforms are proving more provocative than they had first thought, moving fashion challenged enemies to attack her forces out of jealousy. Even when said forces are led by apparently intelligent generals.

Yemen's intelligently led forces are crushed mere weeks later, this resulting in disgust at al-Walid's conduct. As he has been acting with far too much competence in these battles, losing far too few men.

UP4-5.jpg

With the war going well and all of Sokoto's units busy crushing the Omani led coalition, vampires pick a most inopportune moment to strike, unleashing tuberculosis upon Zaria.

UP4-6.jpg

Clearly vampirism is indeed to blame for this shocking outbreak. The fact that Zaria has no sewer systems or clean running water is a moot point.

With overwhelming odds now at last assembled, no Sokot general would dare take on an enemy forces unless they are hugely outnumbered, Sokoto's troops march into Ibe.

UP4-7.jpg

Sokoto secures an impressive victory. An overly impressive victory indeed, which leads to yet more calls for al-Walid's dismissal. The other Sokot generls feeling it unfair to have to compete against such a clearly gifted leader.

With Oman's army now crushed Madagascar decides this is the right time to finally throw in the towel.

UP4-8.jpg

Sokoto graciously accepts the offer, increasing her land considerably and gaining her control of a large island, with a considerable coastline, whilst she still has a navy of a mere three glorified rafts.

Her lands now greatly increased Sokoto decides that now may be the time to finally recruit some actual professional soldiers rather than continue to depend upon a bunch of musket wielding untrained irregulars.

UP4-9.jpg

Unfortunately it will be some time before the first infantry are ready for combat as there are few small arms available for Sokoto. For some reason the nations producing said small arms seem to have little trust of the entirely peacable Sokoto. Clearly they are jealous of the pink uniforms.

There is huge surprise within Sokoto's government in July 1840.

UP4-10.jpg

Surprise that the Malagasay people could possible wish to subject their children to the battlefield environment of Sokot schooling.

With Sokoto remaining astonishingly successful in the war Najd arranges a white peace with Sokoto in August 1840. As Najd was the last enemy able to field an army still left in the war, Sokoto begins moving her troops towards Oman's Arabian holdings, dropping the men off and rushing back to port whilst hurriedly mending numerous holes which forever appear in her struggling ships.

UP4-11.jpg

With Sokoto's troops valiantly besieging empty provinces an enterprising conservative politician takes to the floor and mumbles for several hours, apparently praising the army and Sokoto generally.

UP4-12.jpg

Hours later and most of the parliament awaken, happily agreeing with one and other that it was a most excellent sleep, uh, speech.

Officer recruitment is brought to an end in Ilorin and switched instead to Transvaal. Officer numbers in Ilorin having surged after a tour of the province by al-Hajj in an effort to encourage more men to sign up.

UP4-13.jpg

This tactic working well as tales from the military great of the thousands of casualties he has caused, a few of them even enemy casualties, greatly enthusing the province.

With the Sokot suffering greviously whilst besieging the empty Oman, many of her men suffering terrible injuries such as dead legs caused by having to use inadequate seating, Sokoto's navy finds itself in a battle for the first time.

UP4-14.jpg

All of Sokoto is left in shock when her navy, now up to an impressive five improvised rafts, somehow triumphs over Yemen's fleet.

Sokoto's army, still busy besieging Omani provinces (for 'busy' read as sun bathing), is left rather surprised when it finds that Najd is not in fact the last enemy nation with an armed force available as Sokot intelligence has constantly been assuring the army. Yemen having feverishly recruited another force in the intervening months.

UP4-15.jpg

Thankfully Sokoto's troops are experienced in fleein-uh, withdrawing in the face of overwhelming opposition, the unit in Duqm escaping before the vengeful Yemeni force.

Sokot hurriedly rallies her units to stop the Yemeni advance, the highly competent General Zaranagawa appointed to lead the troops.

UP4-16.jpg

Zaranagawa proving too competent a general, Sokoto is comprehensively crushed by the Yemeni army. This showing why blithering imbeciles should always be preferred for command.

Realising the gravity of the situation the Sokot government act quickly, stripping Zaranagawa of command and appointing General Abasama in his place whilst rallying every available unit to Oman.

UP4-17.jpg

The eccentric genius Abasama (for 'eccentric genius' read as lunatic) securing a convincing victory which wipes out the surrounded Yemeni army. A blithering idiot once again securing Sokoto victory, proving that such men are always best suited for command.

With Yemen's army once again obliterated Sokot troops rush forward to begin besieging her land before she gets the chance to recruit anymore forces, intent on annexing Yemen in revenge for her earlier defeat. Thankfully the occupation goes smoothly, minus a number of friendly fire casualties on Sokoto's side caused by bored Sokot troops firing their rifles randomly in an effort to alleviate boredom.

UP4-18.jpg

With Yemen annexed Sokot is happy that honour has been redeemed. Annexation providing Sokoto with adequate revenge for the defeat suffered at Nizwa. A defeat caused by Yemen seeking revenge for her earlier loss in Mocambique. This in itself caused by Yemen seeking revenge for Sokoto daring to declare war upon her ally. Regardless, clearly vengeance is Sokoto's and this will teach nations to never again seek revenge against the ever ready to avenge Sokoto.

UP4-19.jpg

Oh.

It looks as if Yemen may have gained ultimate revenge from beyond the grave, as annexing her lands has brought about this war. Still, the Sokot government is not overly worried, Sokoto's army now stands at fifteen brigades, Egypt is unlikely to be able to field such a force having lost to Ethiopia a few years earlier.

UP4-20.jpg

Ah.

This could prove tricky.

[I had entirely forgot, indeed I did not even think it possible, that the Red Sea strait would mean that my land in Yemen is considered a neighbour with that of Egypt's provinces on the other side of the strait. This showing exactly how useless I am when it comes to V2, missing out on ever slightly important details such as this, I am more than likely to be annexed soon. This is going to be messy.]

Last edited:
I'm sure you'll beat Egypt. You have the Yemeni desert to act as an attritional killing field for Egyptian armies, and even if you lose, its a containment, so how badly can you be hurt really?

Losing half of your military is kind of a big deal when you only have 15 brigades =P

This... is very true; if you must capitulate try to do so prior to that happening. :eek:

I suggest that you put your transport fleet in the Red Sea to temporarily block the Egyptians from crossing there. That way they have to travel overland to get to Yemen, only if they get travel rights through your neighbors (make them expend the DPs if they can).

Also get some troops back to Sokoto since the Egyptians are sure to move overland, across the trackless inhospitable wastes, to attack your home. I wouldn't worry too much though, they'll attrit down hard since the AI likes to move units in huge stacks across inhospitable and deadly terrain long distances. You'll not have much to defeat by the time they get to Sokoto.

This... is very true; if you must capitulate try to do so prior to that happening. :eek:

But that's what Containment does; it cuts your army in half and prevents you from building new units. It's a lot like Cut Down to Size, I'm actually not sure what exactly the difference is. I'm not too worried, though. It shouldn't be too difficult to outsmart the AI.

The annexation of Yemen was a little surprising; I though the goal was to conquer all of Africa.

The annexation of Yemen was a little surprising; I though the goal was to conquer all of Africa.

Africa, The Middle East, Europe, The World... What's the difference really?

I think you can beat Egypt, it wouldn't surprise me if the Ottomans tried to take advantage of the situation.

oh whoops, that was going so well too - I made a similar miscalculation in an early game of assuming that an isolated European province didn't count. Well you should be ok, attrition and the likelihood that a European power will decide to snack on Egypt should help you out (& the sheer genius of your generals)

Now that Egypt has taken the plunge, expect a dozen more or so.

Best case scanario would be to fight to a WP or minor territorial gains to get you no new neighbours. If you ottomans eat Eqypt you'll be next.

Now that Egypt has taken the plunge, expect a dozen more or so.

Best case scanario would be to fight to a WP or minor territorial gains to get you no new neighbours. If you ottomans eat Eqypt you'll be next.

I've rarely seen them "eat" Egypt. They tend to be quite content with retaking their old core provinces. I would say keep pushing until you can get Luxor! (not to mention, if you're going to expand further into the ME you will come into contact with the Ottomans sooner or later)

Run away, eat small armies, and re-cap what you lose. Egypt always starts the game feeling frisky and aggressive, but after a few years it can't fight off Ethiopia in most games I've seen, nevermind a serious power. Your situation will change quite a bit once you Civilize. Any chance of picking up a big ally to scare some folks off? Once you're decent sized I'd think someone would sphere you. Hope for the UK.

Fun start. Remember, a mad scramble can be more entertaining that a straight-line expansion!

Thank you profusely for the replies!

NapoleonComple - I'm glad you had confidence, I certainly didn't! Surprisingly you were right, I did beat them! Thankfully the AI in this game seems nearly as inept as I am.

brycef - An excellent plan! I was actually moving my transport ships to block the stairs when the Egyptians suddenly fell upon me, they moved far quicker than I had anticipated. Thankfully this proved to my advantage. Dumb luck has carried me through!

Vaya con Queso - Apologies that I didn't explain myself properly in my first post. My main goal is to paint all of Africa Sokot pink but I'll also be expanding and conquering as much as possible alongside this!

Tanzhang (譚張) - How right you are on both counts! Not only the Ottomans actually, Ethiopia tried to get in on the action too.

loki100 - Sokoto's wonderfully uhm...gifted generals did indeed bring about victory! I'll certainly have to be more careful in future though. I was lucky to defeat Egypt, I wouldn't be able to repeat this against a true power.

Rae - Thankfully I wasn't dogpiled, but it was something I feared. I'm quite sure if my brigade count has dropped I would have been attacked by several nations though, this the risk of such an infamy high strategy.

Tanzhang (譚張) - Indeed! I'll be gobbling up as much of Egypt as I can and I'll have to fight the Ottomans at some point. Which isn't a confrontation I am relishing!

InnocentIII - Wise words but I was actually caught unawares by a large Egyptian army far more quickly than I had thought possible, it all worked out well though! Too true regarding Egypt's early aggressiveness though, she has actually already lost a war against Ethiopia (this no doubt explaining Ethiopia's attack on Egypt during this update), which I had hoped would have dropped her brigade count.

I have been keeping an eye out for a potential ally but the choices of acceptance for such a deal have been very low. It is almost as if other nations don't trust the warmongering and infamous Sokoto to prove a good ally! My best hope is indeed to be added to someones sphere, although there has been little progress on that front thus far.

Chapter Five - Anilelation​

Following Egypt's shocking and entirely unprovoked declaration of war against the peace loving Sokoto, Sokoto's forces are suddenly under attack, caught by surprise whilst they are still attempting to rally further forces to this new theatre of war.

UP5-1.jpg

This is a hugely important battle, defeat here and a large chunk of Sokoto's forces are sure to be annihilated. Thus Sokoto needs a truly gifted leader to bring her victory. She needs another gibbering imbecile like Abasama. Thankfully Rumfa looks inept enough.

Units hastily rush from Taizz to reinforce Aden. A few days into the battle and things are looking surprisingly good for Sokoto.

UP5-2.jpg

Alongside having by far the better dressed soldiers, which will always improve morale, she also actually has more infantry than Egypt who is relying heavily upon irregulars. Admittedly the average Sokot infantry brigade is barely the match of an irregular from another nation due to the incompetent leadership they are forced to endure.

With the battle still surprisingly in Sokoto's favour several of the units who had been positioned to invade Ethiopia are rushed forward to cut off Egypt's line of retreat.

UP5-3.jpg

A lucky unit even being allowed to retreat from being butchered in Aden so as to begin blocking off any potential Egyptian retreat into Sokoto's Yemeni provinces.

With the war against Egypt calling upon all of Sokoto's resources nothing can be spared for the continuing, uh, 'war' against Oman. Realising this the Sokot government sends forth her very reluctant diplomats to thrash out a peace deal.

UP5-4.jpg

The Sokot diplomats return a few days later having secured a good deal for Sokoto and having secured for themselves yet more trauma. The diplomats having learned that nations are as unhappy at having to concede defeat as they are when receiving a declaration of war.

Sokoto emerges victorious in Aden nearly a month after the battle began.

UP5-5.jpg

Sokot troops are amazed at this victory. All the more amazed when they realised Egypt could have simply retreated into the still empty Bayda, the great Rumfa having forgotten to send a brigade there.

UP5-6.jpg

[I'm truly a bit surprised by this. Why did Egypt not retreat into Bayda? I forgot to send a brigade there thus it was wide open the whole time. Thankfully it seems the AI is nearly as incompetent as I am at this game!]

Imbecility has won the day once again. This a stunning victory which witnesses Rumfa rightly lauded as an impressively stupid general. Although there are complaints concerning how few men he lost.

Despite this victory Egypt does still have eight brigades at her command, thus this war is far from over. This especially true considering the types of mistake the average Sokot officer is capable of. Thus Sokoto's forces are unwilling to cross into Egyptian territory, instead continuing to guard her side of the Red Sea strait.

It is whilst the Sokot troops in Yemen sit fearfully checking the other side of the strait that the Sokot government orders the publishing of the Annals of the Fulani Jihad, wishing to encourage the soldiers in this current conflict with tales of another titanic war Sokoto won. The publishing now possible as enough bewildered academics from Sokoto's new Yemeni and Omani holdings have been recruited, giving Sokoto an astoundingly high literacy rate of 5.2%, meaning there is now something of a market for such a book.

UP5-7.jpg

The Annals netting Sokoto a modest increase in prestige as they retell the story of the founding of Sokoto decades earlier. A heroic tale which nearly eclipses Sokoto's recent accomplishments of commissioning pink uniforms for her officers, blundering into unwished for wars and terrorising all who come into contact with her.

A few months later and the rest of Egypt's army is finally spotted. Sokoto is impressed by Egypt, she clearly went to war with Sokoto without having gathered all of her forces on Sokoto's border, instead throwing them forward in two moderately sized attacks when an attack from a single massed army would likely have carried the day. Egypt has nearly reached Sokot levels of military incompetence.

UP5-8.jpg

Sokoto's troops are hugely worried about this battle nonetheless, they are led by the highly competent Zamnagawa who has been inexplicably allowed to lead troops again despite his earlier loss. Thankfully Egypt is once again depending primarily upon irregulars.

With battle joined and the fate of Sokoto's army once again hanging in the balance the Sokot government busies itself with far more important and pressing issues.

UP5-9.jpg

Namely sorting out road signs.

Great news greets Sokoto in November 1842 as the Ottomans declare war upon Egypt.

UP5-10.jpg

Not that Sokoto truly needs this aid, as the battle of Aden is once again going surprisingly well for her, Egypt's forces in the province once again entirely surrounded.

A week later and Egypt's remaining forces are finally crushed, the impressive Zamnagawa receiving nothing but criticism for his handling of the battle.

UP5-11.jpg

Not only did he lose fewer men than Egypt, he even blocked off Bayda this time. This showing of competence greatly irking Sokoto's other generals.

With Egypt's army now obliterated Sokoto's brave troops surge forward ready to valiantly occupy Egypt's empty provinces and loot and pillage them as they do so.

This war is not yet over though, as is shown mere weeks later when barely trained Egyptian soldiers nearly overcome a lone Sokot brigade.

UP5-12.jpg

The junior officer who led Sokoto to this stunning victory over newly trained low organisation troops is marked down for future greatness. Bey's force is later crushed.

Despite the opposition of Sokoto's generals, research into Post-Napoleonic Thought is completed in April 1843.

UP5-13.jpg

Sokot generals are disgusted by this technological advance due to their belief that this will lead to fewer Sokot casaulties in battle. This obviously a bad thing as more casualties always equates to more glory for a military commander. They are also of a mind that constructing forts will merely make the troops grow soft.

With this research complete Sokot academics are made to begin researching Private Banks, the noble dominated Sokot government keen to extract yet more taxes from the poor. Which is only fair after all.

The Sokot army has noticed a growing problem with her non-Hausa troops.

UP5-14.jpg

For some reason they are not keen on being led by incompetent fools, they dislike wielding antiquated weapons and hate the pink uniform their officers wear.

Sokoto is left very impressed by Ethiopia in September 1843 as she shows herself to be nearly as opportunistic as Sokoto, declaring war on the near dead Egypt.

UP5-15.jpg

Whilst impressed Sokoto is also unwilling to share any of her prize, hurriedly blocking off Ethiopia's army from beginning any more sieges.

Officer recruitment is brought to a halt in Transvaal, Sokoto now having recruited more than enough uneducated numpties in the province. Introduction of a new element to the officers uniform, that of flared trousers, having proven a considerable success in attracting new talent.

UP5-16.jpg

Recruitment is now started in Ampanihy.

Having blocked any further besiegement of Egyptian provinces by Ethiopia, and noting that Ethiopia is calling for Khartoum from Egypt, Sokoto hurriedly does the honourable thing and requests Khartoum herself.

UP5-17.jpg

Sokoto always happy to stand by any comrade-in-arms.

For some reason the people of Sokot's newly conquered lands have been growing increasingly unsatisfied with Sokot rule. It almost as if ruinously high taxes and non-stop warfare are a bad thing. This dissatisfaction culminating in a Mashriqi poet publishing a hymn which encourages resistance to Sokot rule.

UP5-18.jpg

Thankfully due to the Sokot army's policy of recruiting only the most unsuitable of candidates, Sokot has a skilled poet on hand to deal with this dangerous issue. Kabe's much lauded reply of;

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I have an army of 42,000 men ready to crush you.

Doing much to ease tensions.

War with Egypt finally ends in February 1845 when the battered nation concedes defeat.

UP5-19.jpg

At last Sokoto's long suffering troops can finally rest after their adruous months spent on siege duty. The courageous Sokot troops forced to suffer grim deprivations during this siege work, such as having to heroically make do with substandard food. Sokoto finally at peace once more.

For now.

Last edited:
I'd declare war on the Ottomans and bail out the Egyptians if I could (I doubt you have the force projection to do this) as a strong Ottoman Empire is not something that is in Sokot interests; why fight the Ottomans when there are pre-broken Egyptians to conquer?

Vaya con Queso - Apologies that I didn't explain myself properly in my first post. My main goal is to paint all of Africa Sokot pink but I'll also be expanding and conquering as much as possible alongside this!

Ah, ok. As long as you're in the neighborhood, you might as well annex Nejd and Abu Dhabi; the Sokot Empire will need the oil later on to fuel its dreadnoughts, tanks, and airforce (all pink, of course =P)

You're next, Ethiopia! No one helps Sokoto and gets away with it!

Maps! I demand Maps!

Good work on getting Dumyat, it may be useful if you rescind on your "no navies" mentality. I second calls to make Ethiopia the next target, and I'd avoid angering the Ottomans until Sokoto is westernised. Remember: Ottomans Bad, Russia worse.

Maps! I demand Maps!

Good work on getting Dumyat, it may be useful if you rescind on your "no navies" mentality. I second calls to make Ethiopia the next target, and I'd avoid angering the Ottomans until Sokoto is westernised. Remember: Ottomans Bad, Russia worse.

+1

Also, I was sincerely surprised when you defeated Egypt. I really thought you were a goner.

Oh ye of little faith!