• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Someone stronger then you isn't gonna like what you're doing, with that infamy. What will you do if a decent sized power (Top 16?) invades?

Retreat, fight, then retreat again!

Now I see the real reason for going after Mozambique, you wanted to cut Portugal off from Oman right? Gutsy move going for the Transvaal, I wouldn't have risked it. Especially given the UK's tendency to sphere Zulu and/or the Free State.

Thank you profusely for the replies!

tamius23 - Thank you, things are going surprisingly well indeed (which likely means my inevitable doom is close at hand)! My infamy is rising quite nicely but nowhere near high enough;

Infamy.jpg

When I break the infamy limit in a game I always like to then get it as high as possible, I consider it something of a high score!

NapoleonComple - Indeed I am over the limit and I am about to raise it yet further! You are certainly right regarding the sneaker too.

Rae - Likely lose very quickly! Going over the infamy limit is a risky choice in this game but I've found that provided your military is of a comparable size or indeed larger than that of your neighbours, they'll rarely risk going to war with you (something InnocentIII was kind enough to confirm for me, as one of many questions I asked him whilst trying to get to grips with V2). Plus it seems that only neighbours will indeed consider war with someone over the infamy limit. Therefore provided I stay well away from any of the top 16, I should be fine. Probably.

Tanzhang (譚張) - Exactly so! Although in this case I think a strategy of retreat, retreat and more retreat until the tired enemy finally offers white peace may work best! Mocambique was indeed so that I could get an easy land border with Oman. You are completely right with regards to Transvaal as well, her gold mines make her too tempting a prospect, but a risky one at that.

Rae - You just summed up the war, we were indeed running around terrified! Regardless though, with men such as al-Hajj Sokoto is more than ready for Great Britain!

loki100 - I cannot agree more. I think the combination of constant fleein-uh, withdrawals and bright pink uniforms was more than enough to put Portugal off!

Stuckenschmidt - Thank you for the kind words, glad you like the title (your bribe is en route!).

Chapter Three - U Madagascar Bro?

Now that Sokoto had a ramshackle barely floating navy the Sokot government has to find out if the 'ships' will survive a journey to their next target. To this end the hugely reluctant diplomats are chosen as the perfect guinea pigs, ordered on board to carry out their next diplomatic mission.

UP3-1.jpg

A few days later several green faced diplomats return, their uniforms rather stained, speaking of the harrowing journey they have just endured.

The ships now proven to be safe, or at least diplomat proof, Sokoto ferries the first troops accross to Madagascar where they are met by a hugely worrying sight.

UP3-2.jpg

It is not the large Madaasgar force which worries any of the Sokot troops but rather finding out that al-Hajj is their commander. Things are looking bleak.

Thankfully the battlefield heavily favours Sokoto, slightly offsetting the horrible disadvantage of having al-Hajj in command.

UP3-3.jpg

After the Sokot soldiers finally learn to ignore al-Hajj's orders to mount suicidal charges they win a crushing victory.

UP3-4.jpg

However due to Sokoto still having few forces on the island, the terrain and, rather more importantly, the soldiers being unwilling to follow al-Hajj any further Sokoto is unable to follow up on this victory. Her forces instead adopting a wholly defensive stance waiting for Madagascar to make the next move.

UP3-5.jpg

Madasgascar has not learned from her earlier mistake, or perhaps she has little respect for Sokoto's impressively incompetent pink clad forces, as she once again throws men forward at a well defended positon which heavily favours the defender.

UP3-6.jpg

This just as well as al-Hajj still commands in this sector.

Sokoto quickly secure another 'victory', catching the fleeing force and defeating them.

UP3-7.jpg

Although whilst suffering far more casualties. al-Walid reasonably assuming that losing far more men against a routing force is the best way to get more battlefield commands. It has worked for al-Hajj after all.

Finally Madagascar's army is trapped on the northern tip of the island. Sokot units hurriedly surround the force, blocking all hope of further retreat.

UP3-8.jpg

Victory and with it the complete destruction of Madagascar's army. Although true to form al-Hajj does make sure to lose more men than a force which has been on the run for the last few weeks.

The Sokot government is delighted to learn that officer numbers have risen to an acceptable level in Zaria, men rushing to sign up having learned that incompetence is no barrier to advancement in the Sokot army. The pink uniform remains a considerable incentive too.

UP3-9.jpg

The recruitment in Zaria now complete, officer recruitment is now encouraged in Ilorin.

Now that war with Madagascar has devolved into the usual horrifically terrifying siege warfare, in which scores of Sokot troops suffer from grevious wounds such as sprained fingers and the like, Sokoto decides the time is right to begin another war. The long suffering diplomats are sent forth.

UP3-10.jpg

It is several weeks before any of them are seen again. When they eventually return the trembling diplomats are found to be sporting some fetching belly dancing costumes used to make good their escape from Oman.

Thus Sokoto finds herself at war with three nations able to muster eight brigades between them. Thankfully they have only three ships. Unfortunately Sokoto herself has a mere three half-sunk vessels, a mass of untrained infantry and horribly unqualified generals to lead her forces. This could prove difficult.

Interesting to break the infamy limit so early.

What's wrong with the mountains? They seem to have gone a bit wrong.

Man Sokoto has balls! I can see them in the African section of the British Foreign Office now. "They did WHAT! Looks we have to send this on to the PM now." :)

I take it you want as many states and as much prestige/mil score for westernisation. I figured that you might go after Madagascar to stop the French from taking it, but I'm not sure taking it this early is a good idea. Shouldn't you have waited to build up a navy first?

Is that Iraq?

It's a splendid Idea. The sooner you strip Oman out of Africa, the better. Plus you can gobble up a whole lot of Egypt and Ethiopia before even coming near a western power. And then onward to Asia, of course. The southern part of Dai Nam, Cambodia and Brunei are relatively safe to take, I've not seen a European power meddling there. Johore is next to the UK, best not. Hm you never know what might happen in Arabia, or in Persia. I'd recommend not going there until you get closer to westernizing because I've seen quite a lot of Spain taking Nejd and Britain taking Oman.
And you get a big bonus out of people having a high consciousness which will back reforms :)

You're doing all this with only your 8 starting brigades? Interesting...

I say go for Ethiopia next, if their army isn't too much bigger than yours. Taking Ethiopia would almost double your population, plus there are some very profitable coffee plantations there.
But don't mess with Egypt yet; they're stronger than they look, especially compared to Sokoto.

Going over the infamy limit is a risky choice in this game but I've found that provided your military is of a comparable size or indeed larger than that of your neighbours, they'll rarely risk going to war with you (something InnocentIII was kind enough to confirm for me, as one of many questions I asked him whilst trying to get to grips with V2). Plus it seems that only neighbours will indeed consider war with someone over the infamy limit. Therefore provided I stay well away from any of the top 16, I should be fine. Probably.

I hope I didn't misspeak :D If your army is bigger than everyone else's, the world tends to leave you alone. If it's bigger than the neighbors, the neighbors tend to leave you along. But I recall getting DoWed by Austria of all people in the Indian ocean in one game (as Sindh, maybe) and getting chased around. Typically, though, they DoW to Cut Down To Size, which I think is the (only) CB they get. Painful but not game-ending.

In any event, I saw the final result of your prior Sokoto game, and I'm beginning to see how you got there! Good luck.

You are a braver man than I. And that is all I will say... :blink:

You're doing all this with only your 8 starting brigades? Interesting...

I say go for Ethiopia next, if their army isn't too much bigger than yours. Taking Ethiopia would almost double your population, plus there are some very profitable coffee plantations there.
But don't mess with Egypt yet; they're stronger than they look, especially compared to Sokoto.

Beware of Ethiopia, as the Italians found out in OTL they're stronger than they look. Then again, I suppose its best to take them out early before they start building up their armies and a land border with Egypt could prove to be very useful.

Sokoto can easily raise a 20+ brigade army (though at this point they could probably only afford irregulars), especially once Madagascar is conquered. Ethiopia has the same army techs as Sokoto, I think; the mountainous terrain is what makes them so resilient.

He could wait for Egypt to attack Ethiopia, then jump in and annex them when Ethiopia's army is gone.