+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Soks to be You - A Sokoto V2 AAR

Someone stronger then you isn't gonna like what you're doing, with that infamy. What will you do if a decent sized power (Top 16?) invades?

Argentina Delenda Est Tanzhang (譚張)'s Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Deus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Refusing to Play Between Dream and Reality...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Someone stronger then you isn't gonna like what you're doing, with that infamy. What will you do if a decent sized power (Top 16?) invades?
    Retreat, fight, then retreat again!

Now I see the real reason for going after Mozambique, you wanted to cut Portugal off from Oman right? Gutsy move going for the Transvaal, I wouldn't have risked it. Especially given the UK's tendency to sphere Zulu and/or the Free State.
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War
    A New Canadian Kaiserreich AAR for Darkest Hour [KR 1.5]
    Winner of: AARland Choice Awards Q1 2014

From Eagle to Phoenix: The Rebirth of the Roman Republic
    A New Roman Republic AAR for Europa Universalis IV
    Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~
    - ~ More AARs avaliable at my Inkwell! (硯臺) ~ -

Quote Originally Posted by Tanzhang (譚張) View Post
    Retreat, fight, then retreat again!
    They were fighting during that war?!? I thought they were just running in terror and trambling smaller enemies! Ahem, no doubt then the Sokoto's men are an eltie fighting force and we shall all fully enjoy the war with Great Britain.

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

a masterclass in the role of the retreat in warfare ... Portugal's decision to give up in frustration at a critical moment being all the proof that was needed - either that or they just couldn't cope with all the pink
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

Crusader Kings IIRome Gold

Blog Entries
    Just dropping by to let you know that I heavily lol`d at the thread title. Good work.
    Earth Invasion : Los Angeles

The Alien Invasion is here. Los Angeles is lost, unless a few good Paradoxians (and a bunch of Marines) throw them back in the ocean. Rules. Data. Map.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Thank you profusely for the replies!

tamius23 - Thank you, things are going surprisingly well indeed (which likely means my inevitable doom is close at hand)! My infamy is rising quite nicely but nowhere near high enough;

When I break the infamy limit in a game I always like to then get it as high as possible, I consider it something of a high score!

NapoleonComple - Indeed I am over the limit and I am about to raise it yet further! You are certainly right regarding the sneaker too.

Rae - Likely lose very quickly! Going over the infamy limit is a risky choice in this game but I've found that provided your military is of a comparable size or indeed larger than that of your neighbours, they'll rarely risk going to war with you (something InnocentIII was kind enough to confirm for me, as one of many questions I asked him whilst trying to get to grips with V2). Plus it seems that only neighbours will indeed consider war with someone over the infamy limit. Therefore provided I stay well away from any of the top 16, I should be fine. Probably.

Tanzhang (譚張) - Exactly so! Although in this case I think a strategy of retreat, retreat and more retreat until the tired enemy finally offers white peace may work best! Mocambique was indeed so that I could get an easy land border with Oman. You are completely right with regards to Transvaal as well, her gold mines make her too tempting a prospect, but a risky one at that.

Rae - You just summed up the war, we were indeed running around terrified! Regardless though, with men such as al-Hajj Sokoto is more than ready for Great Britain!

loki100 - I cannot agree more. I think the combination of constant fleein-uh, withdrawals and bright pink uniforms was more than enough to put Portugal off!

Stuckenschmidt - Thank you for the kind words, glad you like the title (your bribe is en route!).
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Chapter Three - U Madagascar Bro?

Now that Sokoto had a ramshackle barely floating navy the Sokot government has to find out if the 'ships' will survive a journey to their next target. To this end the hugely reluctant diplomats are chosen as the perfect guinea pigs, ordered on board to carry out their next diplomatic mission.

A few days later several green faced diplomats return, their uniforms rather stained, speaking of the harrowing journey they have just endured.

The ships now proven to be safe, or at least diplomat proof, Sokoto ferries the first troops accross to Madagascar where they are met by a hugely worrying sight.

It is not the large Madaasgar force which worries any of the Sokot troops but rather finding out that al-Hajj is their commander. Things are looking bleak.

Thankfully the battlefield heavily favours Sokoto, slightly offsetting the horrible disadvantage of having al-Hajj in command.

After the Sokot soldiers finally learn to ignore al-Hajj's orders to mount suicidal charges they win a crushing victory.

However due to Sokoto still having few forces on the island, the terrain and, rather more importantly, the soldiers being unwilling to follow al-Hajj any further Sokoto is unable to follow up on this victory. Her forces instead adopting a wholly defensive stance waiting for Madagascar to make the next move.

Madasgascar has not learned from her earlier mistake, or perhaps she has little respect for Sokoto's impressively incompetent pink clad forces, as she once again throws men forward at a well defended positon which heavily favours the defender.

This just as well as al-Hajj still commands in this sector.

Sokoto quickly secure another 'victory', catching the fleeing force and defeating them.

Although whilst suffering far more casualties. al-Walid reasonably assuming that losing far more men against a routing force is the best way to get more battlefield commands. It has worked for al-Hajj after all.

Finally Madagascar's army is trapped on the northern tip of the island. Sokot units hurriedly surround the force, blocking all hope of further retreat.

Victory and with it the complete destruction of Madagascar's army. Although true to form al-Hajj does make sure to lose more men than a force which has been on the run for the last few weeks.

The Sokot government is delighted to learn that officer numbers have risen to an acceptable level in Zaria, men rushing to sign up having learned that incompetence is no barrier to advancement in the Sokot army. The pink uniform remains a considerable incentive too.

The recruitment in Zaria now complete, officer recruitment is now encouraged in Ilorin.

Now that war with Madagascar has devolved into the usual horrifically terrifying siege warfare, in which scores of Sokot troops suffer from grevious wounds such as sprained fingers and the like, Sokoto decides the time is right to begin another war. The long suffering diplomats are sent forth.

It is several weeks before any of them are seen again. When they eventually return the trembling diplomats are found to be sporting some fetching belly dancing costumes used to make good their escape from Oman.

Thus Sokoto finds herself at war with three nations able to muster eight brigades between them. Thankfully they have only three ships. Unfortunately Sokoto herself has a mere three half-sunk vessels, a mass of untrained infantry and horribly unqualified generals to lead her forces. This could prove difficult.
    This AAR Soks
    WritAAR of the Week: 8 January 2012 and Weekly AAR Showcase: 15 April 2012

Are you Deshtined to suffer another kiss?
    Favourite EU Comedy AAR AARland Choice AwAARds 2010 (Q3) and 2011 (Q3)
    Character Writer of the Week: 5 December 2010

My Inkwell - Warning! This content is rated EP: Extremely Poor
    Fan of the Week: 7 September 2010, 27 February 2011 and 26 April 2012

Rome GoldWarlock: Master of the ArcanePride of NationsRise of PrussiaCK2: Holy Knight

Quote Originally Posted by morningSIDEr View Post
    Finally Madagascar's army is trapped on the northern tip of the island. Sokot units hurriedly surround the force, blocking all hope of further retreat.
    ummhh, sounds like a deep and profound bit of strategic genius to me ... what is Soks coming to?
    Remember, whatever the question, the answer on 18 September is Yes ...

Indefatigable Psychotic tamius23's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEU3 Complete
    Divine WindHeir to the ThroneSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
    Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India

Interesting to break the infamy limit so early.

What's wrong with the mountains? They seem to have gone a bit wrong.

Victoria 2

Man Sokoto has balls! I can see them in the African section of the British Foreign Office now. "They did WHAT! Looks we have to send this on to the PM now."
    Brycef
    Fighting battles one game at a time.

Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDarkest Hour
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneIron CrossMarch of the EaglesVictoria: Revolutions
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordPride of NationsCK2: Holy Knight500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica
    Crusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset InvasionCrusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old Gods

I take it you want as many states and as much prestige/mil score for westernisation. I figured that you might go after Madagascar to stop the French from taking it, but I'm not sure taking it this early is a good idea. Shouldn't you have waited to build up a navy first?
    Loyal we Began, Loyal we Remain: A History of the British Empire After the Great War

Winner of: WritAAR of the Week: 08/09/2013, Weekly AAR Showcase: 13/10/2013, Best Character Writer of the Week 01/12/2013, AARland Choice Awards: Q3/4 2013

- I was Fan of the Week: 01/01/2012 and 26/05/2013 and WritAAR of the Year: 2013 ~ Proud recipient of two Kenshin Cookies ~

For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur IIMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSword of the Stars IIVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Victoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Blog Entries
    Is that Iraq?
    "Man is free; but his freedom does not look like the glorious liberty of the Enlightenment; it is no longer the gift of God. Once again, man stands alone in the universe, responsible for his condition, likely to remain in a lowly state, but free to reach above the stars.."
    -Jean-Paul Sartré

Good show! I recommend you requistion more boots for the army though; you have much running away to do!

What's the political situation in the other African minors? any sphered?

El Presidente of Tropico & etc Ivir Baggins's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEU3 CompleteHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k club
    Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham

Keep it up, it's great work!
    "Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe." - Psalm 108:9

I have a YouTube channel!

It's a splendid Idea. The sooner you strip Oman out of Africa, the better. Plus you can gobble up a whole lot of Egypt and Ethiopia before even coming near a western power. And then onward to Asia, of course. The southern part of Dai Nam, Cambodia and Brunei are relatively safe to take, I've not seen a European power meddling there. Johore is next to the UK, best not. Hm you never know what might happen in Arabia, or in Persia. I'd recommend not going there until you get closer to westernizing because I've seen quite a lot of Spain taking Nejd and Britain taking Oman.
    And you get a big bonus out of people having a high consciousness which will back reforms
    "Now theatres are a very special animal..."

First Lieutenant Vaya con Queso's Avatar
    Darkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

You're doing all this with only your 8 starting brigades? Interesting...

I say go for Ethiopia next, if their army isn't too much bigger than yours. Taking Ethiopia would almost double your population, plus there are some very profitable coffee plantations there.
    But don't mess with Egypt yet; they're stronger than they look, especially compared to Sokoto.

Ask how many Divisions I have! InnocentIII's Avatar
    A Game of DwarvesCrusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDeus VultDiplomacy
    East India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengoku
    Supreme Ruler 2020Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessCK2: Holy Knight
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by morningSIDEr View Post
    Going over the infamy limit is a risky choice in this game but I've found that provided your military is of a comparable size or indeed larger than that of your neighbours, they'll rarely risk going to war with you (something InnocentIII was kind enough to confirm for me, as one of many questions I asked him whilst trying to get to grips with V2). Plus it seems that only neighbours will indeed consider war with someone over the infamy limit. Therefore provided I stay well away from any of the top 16, I should be fine. Probably.
    I hope I didn't misspeak If your army is bigger than everyone else's, the world tends to leave you alone. If it's bigger than the neighbors, the neighbors tend to leave you along. But I recall getting DoWed by Austria of all people in the Indian ocean in one game (as Sindh, maybe) and getting chased around. Typically, though, they DoW to Cut Down To Size, which I think is the (only) CB they get. Painful but not game-ending.

In any event, I saw the final result of your prior Sokoto game, and I'm beginning to see how you got there! Good luck.
    I follow Paradox on Twitter and have Johan's photo on my phone for Twitter messages. I also follow the Pope. When the Pontiff tweets, I see the picture and lately I wonder "yes, but is Johan speaking ex cathedra?"
    Check out my Vicky2 AAR: Last Tango in 1.3 - An Argentine AAR Favorite Gameplay AAR, Vicky1/2 2011 (Round 3) - Completed
    Five for Fighting - A Canadian HoI3 AAR WritAAR of the Week (December 11th - December 18th, 2011) AAR Showcase Week of 6/17/12 - Completed

Cities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIIMarch of the Eagles
    Supreme Ruler: Cold WarVictoria 2

You are a braver man than I. And that is all I will say...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaya con Queso View Post
    You're doing all this with only your 8 starting brigades? Interesting...

I say go for Ethiopia next, if their army isn't too much bigger than yours. Taking Ethiopia would almost double your population, plus there are some very profitable coffee plantations there.
    But don't mess with Egypt yet; they're stronger than they look, especially compared to Sokoto.
    Beware of Ethiopia, as the Italians found out in OTL they're stronger than they look. Then again, I suppose its best to take them out early before they start building up their armies and a land border with Egypt could prove to be very useful.

First Lieutenant Vaya con Queso's Avatar
    Darkest HourEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesHearts of Iron III CollectionVictoria 2Victoria II: Heart of Darkness

Sokoto can easily raise a 20+ brigade army (though at this point they could probably only afford irregulars), especially once Madagascar is conquered. Ethiopia has the same army techs as Sokoto, I think; the mountainous terrain is what makes them so resilient.

He could wait for Egypt to attack Ethiopia, then jump in and annex them when Ethiopia's army is gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast