• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
On the 1st of November, 1814

To the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Lord Liverpool

Your Excellency,

Glory to Our Arms ! We are triumphant everywhere.

Albany, the strategical center of the American war effort is now ours. Not one Englishman died for the city. Our guns hammered them into submission :

Totalvictory.jpg

Now, the Americans cannot bring anymore reinforcements to theirs forces. He also lost his only depot in the area.

Meanwhile, Sir Gordon Drummont, not hampered by Sir Prevost's poor command, won a smashing victory at Fort Erie. The enemy forces literally collapsed in front of him, and there are more prisonners than we have soldiers :

AnniliationatEri.jpg

In Vincennes, the enemy tried to sortie, but once more, thanks to the efficiency of our officers, the courage of our men and the skill of our gunsmiths, the enemy was repulsed without any loss :

Stalemate.jpg

The supply situation is dire in Vincennes though, but I believe supply will arrive soon. They will be needed, for it is winter, and the weather is horrible there, from what I understand :

FOOD.jpg

Here is a map of the situation :

Lastapples.jpg

As the winter is still quite mild, I am going to start a mop-up of the remaining enemy force, while Robert Ross will carry on the siege of New York (where there is a strong garrison). Niagara, the last relevant place-forte in the area, should soon fall, as soon as I have joined up with Drummont's force.

Mopthemup.jpg

I have heard that an English force from the Caribbeans arrived in front of New Orléans, but unfortunately I do not have any more information on its successes for now :

NewOrlansexpedition.jpg

Landing-4.jpg

In victory !

Yours respectfully,

Sir Isaac Brock

A dramatic turn of events. Do the Americans have anything to hold the front with?

to be honest, no. I've got a small combat useable force at Oswego and bits scattered around, but in effect my army on the Canadian border has just fallen apart over a couple of turns. The late arriving winter that Narwhal mentions, plus an early spring in 1815 just about finishes off any last chances for a recovery ... except, as mentioned much earlier, my last moves see the conquest of Kingston and Montreal back under siege ...

November 1814, the very visible menace

All of sudden American attention turned to the south. With the arrival of a motley group of new units, the utterly vital city of Mobile might yet be taken, dramatically shifting the tide of the war in their favour

And the rest of the US naval forces were ordered to New Orleans now there were no British ships left to sink ... anywhere ... at all

In the meantime in the north, the late onset of winter meant there was a danger of further British gains

not helped by yet another gift from Astride, now very annoyed that her promised gift from Montreal was going to be long delayed

or the loss of Eire after a brief siege and Niagara at the same time

... except, as mentioned much earlier, my last moves see the conquest of Kingston and Montreal back under siege ...
I sense a pattern here (not to mention the opportunity for an atrocious pun): whenever things go South with your war efforts, your last remaining troops head North? :p

Having read your last update and seeing that you're pinning your hopes on capturing Mobile... Well, that's not really going to dramatically alter the situation on the Great Lakes front, now is it? :)

Nice of Henri and Astride to leave parting gifts as this particular bash winds up...

This was a close game until the last few updates whereupon it has rather fallen apart from loki. ah well, still a great read and not quite over yet, hopefully a few matches can be lit before the end! At least America is proving triumphant at sea, doubtless Henri was giving aid in all matters naval rather than military, hence the success there.

I am sad to see that I will be denied the burning of both sides houses of parliament...as, owing to the title of the AAR, I had assumed that Narwhal would strike directly at Washington.

As it is, I must content myself once again with loki's attempt to moralize a victory from his defeat...

I have finally acquired the game, patched it up to 1.09...and played the Pequot war scenario.

Now to decide which of the large scenario's to get myself beaten at...hmm.

I am sad to see that I will be denied the burning of both sides houses of parliament...as, owing to the title of the AAR, I had assumed that Narwhal would strike directly at Washington.

As it is, I must content myself once again with loki's attempt to moralize a victory from his defeat...

I have finally acquired the game, patched it up to 1.09...and played the Pequot war scenario.

Now to decide which of the large scenario's to get myself beaten at...hmm.

I have not really won until Washington is burning, right ? And that is my final objective...

This was a close game until the last few updates whereupon it has rather fallen apart from loki. ah well, still a great read and not quite over yet, hopefully a few matches can be lit before the end! At least America is proving triumphant at sea, doubtless Henri was giving aid in all matters naval rather than military, hence the success there.

Actually, Loki100''s collapse at Fort Erié surprised me at well. Up to that point, I was not sure I would control the Erié and the Ontario at the end of the game. After such a sudden collapse, I understood only Vincennes and New Orléans would be tough nuts to crack.

On the 1st of December 1814,

Your Excellency,

The enemy morale is shattered, and both the small garrison of Fort Erié and the much stronger forces in New York surrendered. The most important city of United States is in our hands :

Happened.jpg

Here is a global situation of what we control, and what we do not.

GlobalSituation-1.jpg

As a reminder, here is the situation at the beginning of each campaigning season.

Early 1814 :

Situation-4.jpg

Early 1813 :

February1812situation.jpg

Beginning of the war :

June1812situation.jpg

There are some poor news, though. I understand that Vincennes is still holding, and de Rottenburg could not find Henry's Proctor brigade in front of Vincennes, as Proctors troops decided to shelter themsleves, trusting that the winter will be harsh enough to do the siege for them. De Rottenburg thought Proctor had headed home, and came back himself with the wagons. Now, Proctor's hussars have warned him up, and he is moving back, but it will take him ages.

Starving.jpg

Siege-1.jpg

In New York, I am now preparing for the coup-de-grace - an operation against the enemy capital itself :

NY.jpg

Finally, I understand that the landing went unopposed in Nouvelles-Orléans - our enemies were more focused on attacking our "allies" the Spaniards. We plan to move toward the Nouvelles-Orléans as soon as possible.

NewOrleans.jpg

ActionsintheSouth.jpg

Sir Isaac Brock,

The Vincennes / de Rottenburg thingie was just a mistake I made while preparing orders, but it may be costly...

On the New Year's Eve,

Your Excellency,

Mild weather and the access to the New York port allows me to carry on sending message on what is happening in America. I conjure you to postpone any negotiation, as our bargaining position is getting stronger every day !

Stillsomework.jpg

While there has been no move in the Great Lakes area, our armies are now being transported to Annapolis, just a few miles away from Washington !

Washington.jpg

I am worried, though, for the situation in Vincennes, as I have received news from neither de Rottenburg nor Proctor.

Stock0.jpg

In New Orléans, I understand that there have been a few battles, first against a small detachment that the enemy tried to scramble in New Orléans, then with a more serious force.

Skirmish-2.jpg

Battle-2.jpg

Moving in the swamps with guns and supply wagons proved, I understand, a dreadful experiences for our men, and many men fell ill to some local fever. That's why, despite their superiority, the battles did not turn decisively in our favor. But now, our troops have started the siege of the Nouvelles-Orléans, and the port is blockaded as our fleet sailed up the Mississippi.

Siege-2.jpg

Also, it looks like the Spanish city of Mobile was seized by the Americans. Good for them - as the war in Europe is finished, Spain will most likely be our opponent again - with France - as I do not see United States becoming any significant on the world stage. What could a nation ruled by the mob ever achieve ?

DefeatatMobile.jpg

Sir Isaac Brock, commander of the victorious British forces in America.

[OOC :

Good news for Loki - the war has ended. Bad news - our generals don't know it yet]

Lastmoves.jpg

I have not really won until Washington is burning, right ? And that is my final objective...

Actually, Loki100''s collapse at Fort Erié surprised me at well. Up to that point, I was not sure I would control the Erié and the Ontario at the end of the game. After such a sudden collapse, I understood only Vincennes and New Orléans would be tough nuts to crack.

Hah, as the next post will make it clear, all that I have done is constructed an especially cunning plan ... Eire was an utter shock. I knew that army was weak but I didn't actually expect it to just fall apart in combat.

Anyway, it maybe clear that we are near the end of this ... but never fear a new tussle is being arranged and will be with you soon ... but in a very different format

December 1814, complete victory in the South, pt i

Despite the appearance of a small British force near New Orleans, Jackson applied the strategic brilliance that made his reputation and pressed on with the assault on Mobile

Even as Decatur's squadron raced to drive off the invaders

Jackson felt vindicated with the stunning sucess at Mobile

And the successful defense of New Orleans

And thus the war ended with a stunning English collapse

... except that no-one told the English they'd lost.

(editors note: It is at this stage that Henri's documents have been lost. There is of course no truth in the rumour that he scuttled off to Venezuela at this stage leaving the Americans to fight the war on their own)

January 1815, the noose tightens

Slowly the American plan to wrest the initiative back slotted into place. In the north, Dearborn was positioned to either retake the Mohawk valley or strke into Canada.

Dearborn in the short term was asked to defend Oswego, but had the option to strike north across the lake or at Stanwix if Brock suffered supply problems

In the south, Decatur's fleet sailed to Mobile and then would move Jackson to Fort St Philip, at which point the English at New Orleans would be surrounded

Unfortunately, off New York, Hull ran into a large English fleet and was wounded, however, given overall American naval superiority this no longer mattered.

Well, with a name like 'Hull', he's not very likely to sink, now is he? <Drum roll, chirping crickets>

Wonderful that the game allows you to keep killing each other even though you're officially at peace. :p

So, the Americans are going to make one last dash into Canada (in January, the midst of Winter - you are truly insane), the British are intent on 'redecorating' Washington DC, the South looks like a potential stalemate (unless the epidemic amongst the American troops weakens their morale enough for a quick collapse)... My guess is that this will end in a points victory, which Narwhal should win handsomely at this stage. Not to mention all the bonus point he should get, were he to succeed in torching the capital/capitol. ;)

On the 5th of February, 1815

Your Excellency,

My personal spymaster met with the American led admiral. We had a bargain, and it paid off quickly.

Daringaction.jpg

I send a copy of the bill with this message, and the ship also carries William Hull to England, where he will buy a nice cottage by the Channel. Please pay as soon as possible, that was excellent work.

Once the American fleet was out of the way, our force could land in Annapolis, as expected :

Navallanding.jpg

Unfortunately, I understand that New York was our men Padua, and then had more fun then reasonnable. Some brought with them some nasty disease, and then in the confinement of Our Majesty's ships...

Disease1.jpg

In any case, our troops are unfortunately unable to fight as they should, so they will settle for a siege.

Similarly, in Nouvelles-Orléans, I understand that some woman - French, of course - managed alone to give some "little presents" to most of our army, now out of action :

Disease2.jpg

The siege will continue, but if we are attacked, I do not think we will manage to keep the position.

In the Great Lakes area, the weather is getting better - it was a short winter, much to our advantage - so we are going to carry on the offensive on all fronts :

Moves-2.jpg

AS for Vincennes - our brave soldiers managed to survive winter. Once again, they have no supply, but they will probably be able to live off the land :

Endofwinteratlast.jpg

Finally, much to my displeasure, I have to inform you that Sir Prevost is getting better. He disappeared from his residency on the Ontario, and was last seen heading South. God only knows what his distorted soul has conceived,

Yours,

Sir Isaac Brock

Last edited:
As Loki100, said, in our rematch, my American fleet, 50% or more stronger than Loki100 in this game, met the English fleet, significantly weaker than mine in this game. The result was a disaster for me. Never trust "power" to know whether you can attack or not an enemy fleet - ships-of-the-lines will sink your smaller boats even if outpowered.

Looks like excellent AAR. It is one of the better scenarious of the game where there is always action.
Thanks for writing this.
Cheers.

Thank you Baris !

I agree with you - this campain is short and intense. No long term plans to be made, but excellent for quick PBEM games.

Well, with a name like 'Hull', he's not very likely to sink, now is he? <Drum roll, chirping crickets>

Wonderful that the game allows you to keep killing each other even though you're officially at peace. :p

So, the Americans are going to make one last dash into Canada (in January, the midst of Winter - you are truly insane), the British are intent on 'redecorating' Washington DC, the South looks like a potential stalemate (unless the epidemic amongst the American troops weakens their morale enough for a quick collapse)... My guess is that this will end in a points victory, which Narwhal should win handsomely at this stage. Not to mention all the bonus point he should get, were he to succeed in torching the capital/capitol. ;)

I would just say he is learning. In our rematch, Loki100 made a master offensive and then pursuit in winter ; it sure was costly for me, but it was even more so for me. He told me he got the trick from me :)

Last edited:
Cracking stuff, leaving everything wonderfully poised for the final. Narwhal's daring raid upon Washington looks promising, but for the many disease which seem to be currently afflicting his troops. loki's attack into Canada looks most promising also. Hopefully both forces have a sufficient quantity of matches.

The victor emerges. The last two years of this scenario are tough for the Americans since British reinforcements just keep pourring in.

If I may humbly say so, loki. If you lose this game, it's not because you made bad strategic moves (on the contrary, many of your ideas were bold and inspired), but because you didn't pay enough attention to replenishing your elements. The longer this game lasted the more often you seem to have fought battles with understrength units (whereas Narwhal kept his army in good shape). A lot of elements were thus lost unnecessarily. I got the impression that you build very few new depots but these are key to speeding up recovery.

It wasn't general loki who lost this campaign but rather his quartermaster.

I may have to eat my words if you pull off a miraculous reversal of fates. ;)

As Loki100, said, in our rematch, my American fleet, 50% or more stronger than Loki100 in this game, met the English fleet, significantly weaker than mine in this game. The result was a disaster for me. Never trust "power" to know whether you can attack or not an enemy fleet - men-of-the-lines will sink your smaller boats even if outpowered.

Thank you Baris !

I agree with you - this campain is short and intense. No long term plans to be made, but excellent for quick PBEM games.

I think between the 2 games we learnt a lot about the naval system, in the second game we both tried to be the defender in the lake battles and that made the campaign around Ontario a lot more tense. But yep, power isn't everything. The game engine obviously, & quite rightly, gives a huge advantage to ships of the line over frigates and raiders.

As to length, I think both games took us about 3 weeks, with gaps but also some days when we got through 6-8 turns. Once things are in motion its relatively quick and there is so little army building to worry over as the CP system is so neat and easy.

Cracking stuff, leaving everything wonderfully poised for the final. Narwhal's daring raid upon Washington looks promising, but for the many disease which seem to be currently afflicting his troops. loki's attack into Canada looks most promising also. Hopefully both forces have a sufficient quantity of matches.

aye, more places burn before its over, you could read the upcoming Canadian adventure as less an offensive and more a desire to go and hide where the big bad British army isn't ....

The victor emerges. The last two years of this scenario are tough for the Americans since British reinforcements just keep pourring in.

If I may humbly say so, loki. If you lose this game, it's not because you made bad strategic moves (on the contrary, many of your ideas were bold and inspired), but because you didn't pay enough attention to replenishing your elements. The longer this game lasted the more often you seem to have fought battles with understrength units (whereas Narwhal kept his army in good shape). A lot of elements were thus lost unnecessarily. I got the impression that you build very few new depots but these are key to speeding up recovery.

It wasn't general loki who lost this campaign but rather his quartermaster.

I may have to eat my words if you pull off a miraculous reversal of fates. ;)

I think that is absolutely spot on, in the replay Narwhal did that, and although I won on points at the end the front stalemated just outside Albany and at Eire-Niagara, his armies were pinned but still too strong for me to risk a cross-river assault (I'd also lost my lake fleet so had lost that degree of mobility as I was a bit careless about protecting the port they were wintered in). But you can see the compound impact of poor supply in those last battles, I actually have a mass of replacement elements that I've never drawn down, never mind rebuilding elements back to full strength.