• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Did you consider transforming the two supply trains at Ft. Niagara into an additional depot level? It would have solved your supply troubles and sped up the recovery of your units.

Did you consider transforming the two supply trains at Ft. Niagara into an additional depot level? It would have solved your supply troubles and sped up the recovery of your units.

at the time no, I had a fantasy I was hording them for use during my glorious march on Quebec. Doing that image made me very aware that I'd had a solution to a major problem at hand all along. Yep, if I'd boosted that depot, those units would have recovered and there is enough supply in pockets at the W end of Ontario to live off.

Your sea war is progressing nicely. Britannia Rules the Waves, pah! It's just a shame that this contest will be decided on land (and on the Great Lakes), where your performance is, shall we say, less inspiring? There are some incredible defeats against the odds and if this were a race to the bottom, then the American generals are in truly fine form. :)

However, this defeat was to prove strategically rather useful in September, as it seemed the English forgot something rather important.

Does Narwhal leave York undefended, ready for the taking by your battle-hardened (i.e. repeatedly defeated) troops? ;)

Back from London !

Good stuff. A real mixed bag of results with a truly impressive and commendable effort from America's generals to cause as much self-inflicted damage as possible. A close contest but I rather think Miller my winner considering that he lost despite overwhelming numbers in his favour and his facing no enemy general. Contest aside things seem rather delicately poised, I have to wonder what Harrison is going to get up to in September though.

It is indeed a miracle that Miller failed. He only had to destroy ONE element of regulars, and the rest would have been captured. Said element had only 75% of its strength. I had already written it off, to be honest...

maybe its just me ,but militia seem to be completely worthless losing miserably and barely inflicting any casualties even in defense.

Militia, especially American militias, are real pushover in this scenario. This is realistic, if you compare to real life performance : just a bunch of bourgeois who whom training was a moment when they could be between men, and shoot a few rounds while drinking heavily...

This is the first AGEOD AAR that I am following. It certainly is interesting. Subscribed :)

Thank you. I started writing AAR (this is not easy task) to have people interested in the game. I wrote another with Loki, slightly more massive and for beginner, if you want :)

Does Narwhal leave York undefended, ready for the taking by your battle-hardened (i.e. repeatedly defeated) troops? ;)

Well-seen...

On the 31th of August, 1813

To the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Lord Liverpool

Your Excellency,

The Americans have sensed a changed in command in the English forces, and are not racing to exploit everywhere Sir Prevost left us with in a precarious position.

Our position in the Mohawk was ripe for the taking, and the Americans delivered. Oswego was taken, and Fort Stanwix was assaulted as well :

Capture-1.jpg

The Americans captured guns and supply wagons that Sir Prevost carelessly left exposed - and should I say unused - in Fort Stanwix.

Of the original "conquest" of Sir Prevost, only Sackett's Harbor is left ! And it will not for long.

In Fort Niagara, Sir Prevost attempt to retreat was stopped when the evacuating fleet was engaged :

Succesaslake.jpg

The naval battle was a victory, but the boarding was cancelled.

Fortunately, the Americans failed to take Fort Erié, without which Sir Prevost position would have been extremely compromised :

Assaultbotched.jpg

Finally, Sir Rottenburg proved to be the best commander in the area, as he chased the enemy force at Burlington, before relieving Fort Erié. I understand John Prevost asked him to gather all the forces he could muster, so he could be freed from the trap he set himself in at Niagara :

VictoryBur.jpg

Here is a summing up of what happened :

Whathappened-2.jpg

As you can see, on the Montréal front, I got Dearborn totally isolated. He is not strong enough to attack Montréal, nor can he go back South, where I hold a strong position (even though the city is yet to take). La Colle to the East is firmly in our hands, and there is no supply sources in the West. His forces his bound to be destroyed, without any intervention - or risk - for the soldiers of Our Majesty.

But I need our troops fast. I just learnt that some sort of disease broke up in Dearborn's camp. This is the moment to attack, to chase them away in the wilderness, and away from the Champlain, so no boat can relieve them. This will be Sir Gordon Drummond's job :

Weakened.jpg

Finally, I expect Sir Prevost to chase th enemy from Burlington, then from York they might try to take, and then to come back to siege Burlington. From what I understand York has been left with skeletal defenses.

PAtroling.jpg

Yours respectfully

Sir Isaac Brock

September 1813

Champlain

Purdy is left at St John as a rearguard while Dearborn marches south

and Izard is ordered north with fresh forces from Albany

Niagara

In a panic Harrison marches in the wrong direction, northwards as opposed to safety and the militia at Burlington decide that actually fighting is not what they signed up to do.

Well in part incompetence paid off

Mohawk

Having taken Oswego, Brown is ordered to attack Kingston and seize it before winter closes off lake movements

but the attempt is set back by another unexpected naval defeat

Despite these setbacks, it appears from his rare dispatches back to Europe, that Henri was optimistic about victory, despite the worsening situation in Europe. Among his diplomatic papers was yet another love letter to his dearly cherised lost lover, Astride

It may well have been that news of the latest naval success had just reached Washington

Love the writing as usual guy, loved readying Narwhal's RoP Prussia PBEM AAR and this is shaping up to be just as good so far. Still making my way through from start to finish since I am fairly new to reading the AGEOD AAR section, but couldn't wait to offer some encouragement.

Seems like Narwhal is recovering nicely from the not-so-nice-for-him events in the last few turns. And he gave Dearborn a good thrashing - that looked painful, loki.

loki100 said:
In a panic Harrison marches in the wrong direction, northwards as opposed to safety and the militia at Burlington decide that actually fighting is not what they signed up to do.
Harrison's directional impairment is, frankly, difficult to find an excuse for. But regarding the militia: obviously, their job isn't to fight, it is to plunder liquor stores and burn down stuff. If they wanted to fight, they'd join the regular army, right? ;)

Among his diplomatic papers was yet another love letter to his dearly cherised lost lover, Astride

Yes, uh, the great love both have for each other is evident!

As ever strong stuff from Narwhal, Britain has bounced back from some earlier troubles and with Dearborn seemingly trapped, he is in a very strong position.

As for America perhaps Harrison and the militia at Burlington were simply making late entries into the 'Who can do the most damage to themselves' competition.

Love the writing as usual guy, loved readying Narwhal's RoP Prussia PBEM AAR and this is shaping up to be just as good so far. Still making my way through from start to finish since I am fairly new to reading the AGEOD AAR section, but couldn't wait to offer some encouragement.

Thank you. It is appreciated !

Seems like Narwhal is recovering nicely from the not-so-nice-for-him events in the last few turns. And he gave Dearborn a good thrashing - that looked painful, loki.
Not quite... depends on the front. On the Ontario, it is going to belly up soon.

On the 1st of October, 1813

Your Excellency,

Once again, Sir Georges Prevost proved to be unfit to command, even though his troops - your soldiers - are quite eager to fight :

Burlington-1.jpg

At Burlington, your troops triumphed, then they pushed back to York, and back. But York had been left without defense, and now it has been taken by the retreating Americans !

On the Champlain, our offensive is going nicely, and Dearborn has been pushed back away from us in a quick battle. Sir Gordon Drummond and his men, outnumbered 2 to 1, on the offensive, fought vaillantly. Montréal is now definitely secured !

Victoryattack.jpg

On the Champlain, Sir Bing also destroyed the remaint of the American fleet, so they can not be evacuated by boat :

LacChamplainbattle.jpg

Here are the overall events :

Evensuccess.jpg

As you can see, the last of Sir Prevost's "achievement", the taking of Sackett's harbor (with much loss in men) is about to be lost. A force is also moving toward us South of Plattsburgh.

Also, Sir Prevost vaillantly succeeded his retreat !

I am giving orders to evacuate Sackett's Harbor to save what can be saved. It will be transported to Kingston, where it will regroup with the former "garrison" of Montréal, now useless there :

Evacuation-1.jpg

Montréal is going to be reinforced soon by the soldiers you sent us :

Yetmoretroops.jpg

On the Champlain front, my order for Drummont is to carry on attacking until Dearborn's force is destroyed or sent in the wilderness.

Champalinoff.jpg

Meanwhile, I will take Plattsburgh to control the access route between Montréal and Albany, as you can see.

On the Ontario, I gave strict orders to Sir Prevost to retake York at any cost. François de Rottenburg, though, will move toward Kingston to command the force. I plan to make him a marshall, with your authorisation. He behave above and beyond his duty so far :

Stratontario.jpg

Finally, I am divesting some forces to keep the Indians on our side, as they are attacked by a few Americans stragglers, or whatever you want to call them :

Help.jpg

It is with great sorrow that I have learnt that you will not be able to send as much reinforcements that you used to, due to intensive privateering activities on the European Sea Lane. But happily enough, I do not think I will need more troops !

Sunkfleet.jpg

Yours victoriously,

Sir Isaac Brock

October 1813, America triumphs (or at least runs very quickly)

Niagara

Having rather surprisingly taken York, it seems a good time to counterattack at Eire, so Scott is sent by sea, with the hope that the English will be out of position. Ideally Rensellear would join in but at the moment he just wants to sleep

And Perry arrives with reinforcements from Oswego at York

At sea, the Americans run out of targets

Champlain

Purdy is ordered to hold St Regis and Dearborn splits his army up to try and slip around the English

A tactic that amazingly mostly works out.

And the English are eliminated at Sackett's Harbour

To retain control of the lakes, more combat ships are ordered

Henri's dispatch to Paris at this stage certainly drew a distinction between his success in America and Napoleon's incompetence in Europe. It appears that Astride's response to the news her present would be further delayed was conventionally robust.

I dont think Harrison will get his 30 day presidency if he keeps this up.

i don't think he's likely to survive the war to be honest

Yes, uh, the great love both have for each other is evident!

As ever strong stuff from Narwhal, Britain has bounced back from some earlier troubles and with Dearborn seemingly trapped, he is in a very strong position.

As for America perhaps Harrison and the militia at Burlington were simply making late entries into the 'Who can do the most damage to themselves' competition.

We will have a couple more rounds of the 'who can do the most self-harm' competition before this is over.

Astride carries on expressing her deep appreciation to Henri

A bruising defeat for Dearborn, if he is unable to escape his predicament that will prove a sore blow for loki. Interesting that America has such strong naval dominance though, to the extent that Narwhal is unable to call in anymore reinforcements. Still, perhaps Brock is right and no more reinforcements are required.

A bruising defeat for Dearborn, if he is unable to escape his predicament that will prove a sore blow for loki. Interesting that America has such strong naval dominance though, to the extent that Narwhal is unable to call in anymore reinforcements. Still, perhaps Brock is right and no more reinforcements are required.

I actually, I just lost one of my 4 Engagement Point sources, and EP is a small part of the reinforcements I receive (20% ?), so no big deal :)

I don't think America's hold on York is very secure, and Dearborn (and/or his component units) look like they're in for a rough time.

At least Van Rensselaer is menacing Fort Erie with his 'Army in Being' approach (AKA 'Sitting on your arse all day').

Nautically, the Americans are really exceeding expectations on a grand scale, but as far as the land war goes, I'm less sanguine about their prospects. Oh well, wait and see, as always, as my predictive powers in these player-versus-player AARs are probably considerably worse than if I simply choose by pure chance.:)

On the 1st of November, 1813

Your Excellency,

Our new strategy is working !

Our push on the Champlain has thrown the enemy forces into disarray. They fled before we could engage them, but as a number of small groups. As for Plattsburgh, the place surrendered as we prepared our assault !

Whathappened-3.jpg

As you can see, Sir Prevost's situation is poor. His force is not strong enough to assault York, Erié is under siege again, and our last position South of the Champlain has fallen.

Smash.jpg

To alleviate the plight of the courageous but poorly led soldiers of Burlington (our last safe-city in the area), I ordered Sir Rottenburg to bring reinforcements there. I hesitated a long time before marching directly to York (which would have taken more than one month, with the risk of being surprised by winter) and of sending them by ships (with a high risk of interception, and thus a risk for our troops even if we won the battle). Due to our naval superiority, Sir de Rottenburg convinced me to launch "Operation Lakelion", with a landing on Burlington, first to chase the enemy troops in Erie, than to take York back. This mission must NOT fail.

LakeLeon.jpg

As for myself, I believe the enemy troops will try to shelter themselves from hunger and winter in the fortified position just South of Plattsburgh. For this reason, I am going to strike first ! The odds are not perfect (we have a 5 : 3 superiority only in attack, in very difficult conditions), but at worst I will retreat back to Plattsburgh, where a depot is to be built. If I succeed, I will not allow the former Dearborn force (now a badly tattered remains) to escape, and I will hamper any consolidation of the American forces between here and Albany !

Finally, I understand that our troops helped our natives friends deeply in the West :

OperationWest.jpg

Your respectfully,

Sir Isaac Brock

Champlain.jpg

I actually, I just lost one of my 4 Engagement Point sources, and EP is a small part of the reinforcements I receive (20% ?), so no big deal :)

sob, my one real success is dismissed as 'no big deal' ... I was sooo proud of it too. Actually there is another gain, completely dead ships=VPs for me, so it helps bolster my score in case of the game ending in a draw

I don't think America's hold on York is very secure, and Dearborn (and/or his component units) look like they're in for a rough time.

At least Van Rensselaer is menacing Fort Erie with his 'Army in Being' approach (AKA 'Sitting on your arse all day').

Nautically, the Americans are really exceeding expectations on a grand scale, but as far as the land war goes, I'm less sanguine about their prospects. Oh well, wait and see, as always, as my predictive powers in these player-versus-player AARs are probably considerably worse than if I simply choose by pure chance.:)
It seems like Narwhal is making a number of make it or break it moves this month. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Well i do get a surprising amount of Dearborn's force out, but its in a mess and I have this problem of channeling the reinforcements to the front line units.

With hindsight, and a second game with me as the British, what you've just seen is the decisive set of moves. In a similar situation (having wrecked the American forces on the border) I lacked the confidence to try for the same and the game sort of stalemated. As it is that is potentially game winning (actually for either of us, it depends on if I can take advantage of his overextension)