• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You should get the paradox newsletter, I *think* its sent to all forum members automatically using whatever email you are have registered with them. It would have been the issue for last June (I know as I bought WiA the day before it was released ... classic timing). That contained an activation code for gamersgate. I must admit I'm not sure if it is still valid but I'd imagine it is (that is if you've kept the email).

It was this that inspired us to put up the AAR on the French & Indian Wars. I hadn't even completed the tutorials but it seemed too much fun to miss out on.

Ah.

I am fairly sure I deleted the email, as I did not have the capability to play the game at the time.

Besides, I still need the time to figure out AGEOD's AACW...which I purchased for cheap over the Christmas holiday.

This continues to be a great AAR, Narwhal and loki. It is obvious that you two are more evenly matched than in your first WiA AAR. One can see how loki has become more experienced. :)

If I may ask, what posture did you use during the battle at Ticonderoga? I can't imagine that your stack would have retreated if you had used "hold at all costs". Battles like this have taught me to use it regularly on defense.

Ouch, that surrender at St.John really took its toll.

yep, I chucked away 1 years worth of VP advantage there, no problem though given I plan to sweep the English from Canada in 1814 :eek:hmy:

This continues to be a great AAR, Narwhal and loki. It is obvious that you two are more evenly matched than in your first WiA AAR. One can see how loki has become more experienced. :)

If I may ask, what posture did you use during the battle at Ticonderoga? I can't imagine that your stack would have retreated if you had used "hold at all costs". Battles like this have taught me to use it regularly on defense.

aye, but still capable of completely idiotic mistakes still

That was a problem, I'd gone to a fairly passive pose to speed recovery as I didn't actually expect to get attacked (forgot that not only is Narwhal very aggressive but the English have lots of 'fast mover' generals. Overall, I'm prob too cautious with that stance now, in my RoP game, I managed to lose about 60% of the Austrian army in one turn due to not retreating when completely overmatched by Freddie, so I look on it as bringing more problems than advantages.

Its one reason why doing an AAR is good, its a very useful way to see in hindsight mistakes you made, some are more judgemental/strategic and some are failing to use the game mechanics to your advantage

February 1814 ... American gets back into bed till the winter is over

Well very little happened in February. Dearborn reached safety and Pike arrived at Albany. Both now need to recover.

An additional combat ship was outfitted for the Lakes, keeping control is one of my few remaining advantages and allows me to force the English to march while allowing me to play hit and run:

Over at York, an unwelcome group of English arrived. Fortunately I have masses of supply and they are in a mess from the winter march. So overall both sides try to recover some degree of supply and cohesion:

It is outside America that the important stuff happens.

Henri's agents, fresh from playing with matches decide to carry out a bit of a fraud on the stock exchange (the only surprise being that anyone noticed). And Napoleon, embarrased by Henri's effortless mastery of warfare resigned [1].

[1] - this is bad news, as in turn it triggers the dispatch of the English forces aiming at Washington. In our replay he hung on to late Summer 1814.

Last edited:
March 1814, its cold and snowy, America decides not to do much

The main events of March were the destruction of the final American positions near Montreal. Here what was remarkable was the English attempts to wound an already wounded man ... as ever there are no depths that Perfidious Albion won't stoop too.

First Winder was wounded at Ogenburg

and then when evacuated, he was wounded again at Prescott

All right thinking people will hope he is safe with Dearborn's forces at Sackett's Harbour.

Pike's army at Albany received a welcome boost at the end of the month, helping to raise hopes of a successful offensive towards Lake Champlain when the snow lifted:

However, for the first time, Henri's papers indicate doubts about the final outcome, even if, as he wrote to Astride he 'had outlasted that upstart loser, Napoleon'

On the 3rd of April 1814

Francis,

I understand your situation. The path from Montréal to you is open, since I captured the American town of Ogdenburg and free Prescott :

Ogdenburg.jpg

Prescott.jpg

Marchevents.jpg

I understand you carry on sieging York, and I intend that it remains that way :

Igenigenkatastrofi.jpg

Don't hesitate to commission supplies from Fort Dover and to build a depot. With both these supply source, and Sir George Prevost rare talent (in both meanings of the expression) to find supply in the most unlikely place, I think you may hold winter. Here is a more detailled calculation :

Depot-1.jpg

Thus, carry on the siege ! York is your very last hope !

Sir Isaac Brock

[As a side note, I don't know if supply produced in, say, Burlington, FIRST feed the troops in Burlington, or are spilled to where it is the most needed - say York - while Burlington receive supply from Fort Dover. I hoped for the later - on which my calculation is based - but I really don't know]

Everything seems very nicely poised, the race for VP is close and both armies are mustering near York, the next few turns promise to be eventful. Rather worrying though that Narwhal is about to gain a number of reinforcements following Napoleon's abdication though!

A few substantial victories for the British. Henri's efforts to burn down Paris notwithstanding (not to mention the fact that the French are at war with the British), it seems that the swings of the pendulum are currently going towards the British and against the Americans. Oh well, there's still plenty of time left to do some serious torching of North American real estate... :)

Hmm i think I now have an explanation at least to myself for the incredibly high militia casualties, they go into battle fire a volley or two British return fire and they take a few actual casualties the rest of the army just breaks and runs and disperses into small groups that scatter.

Anyway interesting moves it seems like York will be the main focus for the war for the next few turns.

Also does anyone else feel bad for Dearborn I mean how long has he been getting wailed on by the British.

Everything seems very nicely poised, the race for VP is close and both armies are mustering near York, the next few turns promise to be eventful. Rather worrying though that Narwhal is about to gain a number of reinforcements following Napoleon's abdication though!

Well I'd always factored those into my plans. In the game, the loss of Washington won't finish me off, but Narwhal needs it for his victory conditions, one oddity of this scenario is we have different objectives. My view was I'd have to leave a lot around Washington to protect it, & as in the next post, I need every battalion I can lay my hands on for the Lake war.

A few substantial victories for the British. Henri's efforts to burn down Paris notwithstanding (not to mention the fact that the French are at war with the British), it seems that the swings of the pendulum are currently going towards the British and against the Americans. Oh well, there's still plenty of time left to do some serious torching of North American real estate... :)

I hope that Henri has just burnt down a chunk of London, but he's never been that accurate in the past. Yes, with the new forces, 1814 should favour the British, which is why I'm going to try and throw a very large spanner in the works.

Gah, there's New Orleans and DC and York and maybe Albany and AAAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN!

I'm going to gamble big time around Canada-America. I could have pulled back to cover Albany & Vincennes, but decided on a more aggressive strategy instead ...

Hmm i think I now have an explanation at least to myself for the incredibly high militia casualties, they go into battle fire a volley or two British return fire and they take a few actual casualties the rest of the army just breaks and runs and disperses into small groups that scatter.

Anyway interesting moves it seems like York will be the main focus for the war for the next few turns.

Also does anyone else feel bad for Dearborn I mean how long has he been getting wailed on by the British.

I don't. Dearborn's taste for falling asleep at key moments cost me my small advantage of my original gambit of sending him towards Montreal.

I think the militia are just totally outclassed. They are part timers, facing one of the best trained armies in the world at the time (esp around controlled musket fire), so they just fall apart. It is incredibly annoying though

My next post conflates April and May. From my point of view, nothing happened in April, it was cold and I was recovering supply etc.

April-May 1814, America learns from General Giap

April 1814

With a late winter, and both armies trying to build up their strength, little happened in April except an ill-advised Indian raid on Cincinatti.

May 1814

However, that raid indicated that the English may have weakened their forces in the West, perhaps it might be possible to retake Detroit.

Around Niagara, the American strategy was driven by what was possible. Rottenburg's force at Burlington was weak from the winter so Macomb and Scott were ordered to attack.

but were unfortunately driven off

However, more generally it was decided to shift to a much more flexible, and aggressive, stance across the Lake region. To this end, the beleagured garrison at York was ordered to evacuate

But Dearborn was ordered to join the lake fleet and attack Kingston in co-ordination with the forces that had just recaptured Prescott.

The American strategy was that 3 major objectives were easily threatened using their control over L Ontario – York, Kingston and Montreal. They would attack which seemed least well defended, abandon if threatened by powerful English forces and then attack another. If the English spent 1814 marching along the north side of the Lake sooner or later their forces would collapse.

As if to underscore the potential of this strategy, Perry won another naval victory off Kingston:

In the meantime on the Champlain, Hampton was sent to scout Triconderoga and Pike moved north.

In effect, the American strategy for 1814 was to look for weaknesses on the west and east sides of the main battle front and to use their domination of Lake Ontario for a series of hit and run attacks.

If one prong succeeded, then the English would be hard pressed to recover.

Last edited:
This seems a very sound strategy, making use of your clear advantage on Lake Ontario to constantly probe for an opening. I'm interested to see how Narwhal reacted.

On the 2nd of May, 1814

To the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Lord Liverpool

Your Excellency,

The war rages on in Canada. Our situation on the West of the Ontario is difficult, despite the reinforcements I have sent. At least York is still under siege.

Here is a status on our forces there :

Prevostnotgoodeither.jpg

FdeRottenburg.jpg

Many lives have been lost, but I know the garrison of York is on the verge of surrender, which will give us a foothold for your reconquest of the West side of the Ontario.

Our troops have built a fort in Burlington, to organise the distribution of supply and resist enemy operations.

[Actually, I believe I made a mistake and clicked both "build fort" and "build depot". The fort was built. More surprisingly, I lost my 2 units of supply (in addition to my canons), probably due to this double click. I did not report that bug, though]

Itsafort.jpg

With the recess of winter, the supply situation should be poor but remains stable.

In addition, it is my duty to tell you that the Americans have landed forces in Prescott, which had been liberated during the winter :

Whathappened-5.jpg

Finally, the Indians carry on being the trusty allies they always were. They attempted a raid on Cincinatti, which was a failure - but I believe a costly one for the Americans :

FailureatCinci.jpg

FailedRaid.jpg

I am going to command the force that will free - once again - Prescott. I trust Francis de Rottenburg has the situation in hands in the West :

Orders-3.jpg

I hope and believe my next message will bring better news,

Respectfully,

Sir Isaac Brock,

On the 1st of June, 1814

To the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Lord Liverpool

Your Excellency,

I have oustanding news. Our forces on the West on the Ontario are succesful. First, York, as I had announced, has finally surrendered. More importantly, our starving, outnumbered, exhausted, but well-led and highly motivated, forces, stopped dead an American onslaught on Burlington. The Americans went home in complete disarray. I was well inspired to fortify the position :

MayCostlyBattle.jpg

Yet, even though the worst is behind us, we still have disquieting issues at hand. The American force at Prescott marched on Kingston-on-the-Lake, which is poorly defended. Moreover, our lake fleet has been defeated by the American fleet, and Sir James Yeo, its admiral, has informed me that this American fleet is full of soldiers ready to land - most probably on Kingston.

MayFailurefleet.jpg

Here is the situation :

MayEvents.jpg

I plan to force march as quickly as possible on Kingston to save the city. If I can arrive on time and destroy the American forces currently sieging the city before their reinforcements land, I can defeat them in detail and save the city. But I must be quick.

Meanwhile, I ordered Sir Douglas and Sir Gleig, two officers I trust, to lead the forces earmarked for the conquest of Albany. I suspect there is little American forces between our position and that city.

MayOperation.jpg

West of the Ontario, I ordered de Rottenburg to give some rest to his forces. Many troops will be moved to Detroit for refit, while the rest will rest in the newly-freed York. Only a handful of men, under Sir Scheaffe's competent command, will hold the line in Burlington. After the Americans' botched assault, I do not believe they will attack again any time soon.

MayOpEast.jpg

Yours respectfully,

Sir Isaac Brock

Indeed, but unfortunately none of these reinforcements will arrive in Canada, so the forces I have right now is all I will ever get in the area (except if I rerout the Washington expedition to Quebec... but that would be a waste. Who is going to burn Washington to the ground, then ? :)

Well, so far, Kingston is the only city on the Ontario that has not changed hands at least once. So there are some more torching to be done by the Americans.

Gah, there's New Orleans and DC and York and maybe Albany and AAAH I DON'T KNOW WHAT WILL HAPPEN!

EVERYTHING !

Actually, I suppose most of their casualties come from being capture or desertion. I don't see them remaining in harm's way too long :).
I will try to "compare" the skill of militia, US regulars and British regular in a few posts.

Well, in our rematch, Dearborn was not much more useful... No wonder the Americans lost the war. Even though they will never admit it :)

Loki, reading your post, I understand a few things I did not understand when we played. I wondered where that American force in Prescott came from - I thought it had landed by boat but then the ships were "full" when I attacked them. Actually, the forces in the ship were Dearborn's that were moved from one place to another, and then rerout for Kingston.

Also, I believe that if you had either brought supply (by boat) to York, or merged Dearborn forces with what you had near Niagara for a combined assault on Burlington, you could have wiped out everything I had there, and then kept York. Ah... the game is about arbitration between forces in uncertain environment, sometimes you evaluate the enemy forces well, sometimes, not as well. In our rematch I kept getting mauled 'cause I was undercommitting on this front, too.

Loki, reading your post, I understand a few things I did not understand when we played. I wondered where that American force in Prescott came from - I thought it had landed by boat but then the ships were "full" when I attacked them. Actually, the forces in the ship were Dearborn's that were moved from one place to another, and then rerout for Kingston.

Also, I believe that if you had either brought supply (by boat) to York, or merged Dearborn forces with what you had near Niagara for a combined assault on Burlington, you could have wiped out everything I had there, and then kept York. Ah... the game is about arbitration between forces in uncertain environment, sometimes you evaluate the enemy forces well, sometimes, not as well. In our rematch I kept getting mauled 'cause I was undercommitting on this front, too.

aye the units that took back Prescott were part of Dearborn's original army that I'd sent north to regain supply, so yes the force in the lake was Dearborn probing at Kingston.

I think the problem for the Americans in this game is while you can be fairly flexible, to actually heavily commit to York is hard to do, as the bulk of your new units come up to Albany and its then 2-3 months march to get them over to Niagara, but they seem more immediately useful on the East side of the lake (where they are). But if you hold Eire+Niagara you can unify the 2 lake fleets and that is an awful lot of sea-lift so that may be one solution.

In consequence with the Americans you do tend to operate around York etc with the units that start over there, its hard (psychologically as much as anything else) to really chuck additional units into that sector.

Actually, I suppose most of their casualties come from being capture or desertion. I don't see them remaining in harm's way too long :).
I will try to "compare" the skill of militia, US regulars and British regular in a few posts.

Well, in our rematch, Dearborn was not much more useful... No wonder the Americans lost the war. Even though they will never admit it :)

Hey we may have had a negative warscore ,but we achieved an honorable white peace. :p On a more serious note I would love that comparison, the sheer uselessness of militia seems jarring especially compared to their performance in the French & Indian War where they seemed more capable.

Hey we may have had a negative warscore ,but we achieved an honorable white peace. :p On a more serious note I would love that comparison, the sheer uselessness of militia seems jarring especially compared to their performance in the French & Indian War where they seemed more capable.

In the earlier scenario the regulars are less common and less good relatively. The American militia is pretty poor again but are usually up against French militia (which are relatively useful but nowhere as near dangerous as British regular units in the 1812 scenario). At some stage I'm tempted to try the sprawling (& long) independence war scenario, be interesting to see how they cope in that time frame.