• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr. Capiatlist

Mademoiselle Gothique (she/her/hers)
88 Badges
Dec 4, 2003
nhkendall.com
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
Enemies at the Gate
A Role-Playing AAR in MEIOU

Prologue
Eastern Europe is a dangerous place for the Russian principalities. To the east is the infinity of Asia. A featureless landmass that stretches out for eternity, filled to the brim with Mongols and Siberians all who want to settle the green pastures of Europe. Every five years -or so- they reappear when the treaties expire and begin their raids anew. They burn villages, stampede livestock, and run off with good Christian women. But defending against the disorganized and war-torn Mongols is the least of the problems for the Russians. To the West a super-power has emerged in the last two hundred years, leaving behind it a bloody and treacherous history: The Empire of Lithuania.

Lithuania began as a humble collection of pagan states, united and then whipped up into a frenzy of conquest and domination. No Russian city was safe from the pagans who quickly conquered much of Russia and converted once honest Christians to pagan heathens. Krakow, Warsaw, Gdansk, Riga, Kiev, Cherigov, Donetsk, Pskov, Tver, Tula... all lost forever to the might of the pagans who stubbornly held on despite Christendom's attempts to convert or eradicate them from the face of the map. Before the sack of Novgorod, the Russian states believed that they might still be able to resist the pagans, but now they were only there because the Lithuanians had begun to stabilize their eastern borders and look west for new lands to conquer.

But on a fateful summer morning in 1522 the Lithuanians showed up: 30,000 men under the command of some of the best generals in all of Europe. They marched into Murom, not to burn or pillage... but to offer 540 ducats. Their gift gladly accepted, the Lithuanian armies split up and began a campaign to end a three-year-long peasant uprising, defeating the rebels in a matter of months. And then they turned toward Moscow and it was the same story: pagan soldiers defending the Christian realms from rebels and Mongols. They were brutally efficient and quickly began to win over allies... but also began to cause people to worry.

It is now the Spring 1253 and the treaties with the great Khans of Sibir and Nogai will expire in the Autumn. The Lithuanians have invited the Russians into a large treaty, guaranteeing their independence and subsidizing their wars against the Mongols but demand complete and unquestionable military access in the name of keeping the peace. It is up to you to decide the fate of Russia.

***​

Introduction
Welcome to Enemies at the Gate, an inter-active role-playing AAR! In this AAR readers are encouraged to create characters and join in on the debates, scheming and back-stabbing. Post should remain in character unless you are asking a question. To prevent confusion, in character posts should be bolded and in a color of your choice. Out of character questions/comments should be left as is.

You can submit a character to me via PM here is an example of submission (my own):
Name: Kazimieras
Dynasty: Gediminai
Nation: Lithuania
Religion: Baltic Pagan

There is no need to give me their goals or loyalties, that is up for you to decide and share at your discretion. If you would like to submit a background, that is fine, though it is important to at least thought of one. Countries can have multiple players and they don't necessarily have to be allies. There are a couple positions that need to be filled to ensure a good game:

Prince Yuriy III Mustislavski - Prince of Moscow
Voivode Vasily II Glebovich - Voicode of Murom
Posadnik Boris Vorotynsky - Posadnik of Novgorod

and we need an ambassador from the Papal State.

Rules:
You must have been approved to play, I will keep an updated list of approved players.
Stay on topic, I am still a demi-mod so this thread will be clean.
What you do in PMs is up to you, if you want to try to unite a bunch of players, have at it. Remember to keep your PM box from getting full, it is actually a board rule.
All things are open - but wars and assassinations are tricky. People are not going to want to just up and die, and it is likely that they are going to "remember" who did it in their next life.
When in doubt, PM me.

Every week or so I shall post a gazette of sorts covering what was happening. And once a month I will update the map (if it has changed) and tell you what the pesky Mongols are doing.

Eventually (no saying when), the Russians will have to decide what to do and who (if anyone) to side with. There is no winning per se, but you character will be happier if they can meet their goals.

Here are some interesting countries to play and what their country is doing, I'd prefer you stick to the list for loyalties but if you'd like to use a different country please PM and I can give you a background:

Lithuania - Lithuania is Europe's last remaining pagan state. In the last two hundred years they have expanded rapidly and often at the expense of the Russian states. Most people in Lithuania are pagan, but there are significant Catholic, Orthodox and Sunni minorities. Christians are not allowed to hold titles of nobility, though can be merchants and continue to practice their religion. The practice of Islam is strictly forbidden in Lithuania due to the once constant wars with the Muslim Khans.

Moscow - Before Lithuania had successfully annexed Poland, Moscow was probably the strongest player in Eastern Europe. They were even able to briefly regain the title after successfully defeating the Blue and White Hordes. Their Empire stretched from the Moskva River beyond the Aral Sea... but then the Kazakhs and Siberians invaded together and now Moscow is back down to their core territories.

Novgorod - Novgorod has remained mostly unscathed due to their location. However; they enjoyed meddling in Lithuanian affairs, though they stopped after the disastrous 1511 attempt to assassinate Lithuania's high inquisitor gave Lithuania cause to invade Novgorod and pillage much of their wealth. It was this war that cost Tver their freedom and for the first time included large numbers of Polish converts in the Lithuanian army.

Murom - Murom's existence is all down to luck. Once a small Russian city-state, Murom has withstood the test of time and expanded into the former territories of the Blue Horde. It can be said that they survived only because the Blue Horde was too busy fighting Lithuania and Moscow to even remember the tiny state, but survival is survival even if you did it by riding the coat-tails of a larger nation.

Papal State - The Papal State has recently managed to whip Europe back into the mood for Crusades. They have taken footholds in Anatolia, the Holy Land, and Northern Africa. In 1520 they were able to convince the Roman Empire to convert to Catholicism in exchange for stopping the Venetian raids and helping Rome fight the Turks. It is their hope to expand the Roman example in to Russia and effectively heal the Great Schism.

Map-1.png

Interactive AAR approved by loki, Qorten, myself ;)

Last edited:
Approved players:

Lithuania:
Emperor Kazimieras Gedminai - Baltic Pagan :: Player - Mr. Capiatlist
Baron Wladyslaw Vadeytius - Baltic Pagan :: Player - Aetherius
General Giedrius Paras - Baltic Pagan :: Player - Camoes
Vaidila Kaributas Kęsgaila - Baltic Pagan :: Player - esemesas

The Papal State:
Papal Ambassador Giovanni Decocco - Catholic :: Player - Derahan

Bulgaria:
Crown Princess Anastasiya Asen - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - Aliasing

Murom:
Voivode Ilya Muromets Glebovich-Muromets - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - Prince of Savoy

Brandenburg:
Margrave Sebastian II von Wittelsbach-Brandenburg - Catholic :: Player - Watercress

Moscow:
Voivode Yuri III Vasilievich Mstislavsky - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - Falconette
Ambassador Jaroslav Ivanovych - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - flyguy117
General Arkadiy Kolzoff - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - HatMan
General Sergey Lagunov - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - gigau
Nobleman Stylianos Ioannidis - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - Omega124

Sweden:
King Gustav I Gryf - Catholic :: Player - Killerflood

Hungary:
King Ludovicus Árpád - Catholic :: Player - Syriana

Circassia:
King Ghwsch'ipse Shaghirqwe - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - YF-23

Novgorod:
Posadnik Gregor Lukinich - Eastern Orthodox :: Player - phantomdentist

Great Britain:
Duke William Jones of Suffolk - Roman Catholic :: Player - Johnconner

Last edited:
How exactly are you playing this? Hands off with nudges where needed, or do you control Lithuania what with you being their Emperor and nudge the other countries according to character suggestions? What settings are you playing on?
I'm not, the game is a backdrop. I assume the role playing, if done properly will represent about a year or two in game. Basically the story centers around the Russian states debating whether or not to trust Lithuania as well as the Lithuanians trying to meet their ends.

Really interesting concept here Capiatlist.
Thank you.

Edit:
Countries can have multiple people, so don't feel down if someone has already picked your country.
Also, the game shall begin Monday, December 26th. Unless most people feel they will be gone for the Holidays.

Last edited:
I dunno if I get it. So it's a game played only by you (Mr. Capiatlist) but the actions of other AI nations (Russian minors) will be influenced by the persons submitting characters to be inserted into the story?

Or is this going to be an MP game with only Russian states being player controlled?

Me = slightly confused.

However this works, i'll be following. But i'll wait a little to see if i understand before considering taking a role :unsure:

In any case, good luck !

What is the small pink state split in two, between Lithuania, Novgorod and Moscow?
Tver.

I dunno if I get it. So it's a game played only by you (Mr. Capiatlist) but the actions of other AI nations (Russian minors) will be influenced by the persons submitting characters to be inserted into the story?

Or is this going to be an MP game with only Russian states being player controlled?

Me = slightly confused.

Yeah I'm still not sure I completely get this. What degree of influence does the stuff we say and do in-character have on the game?
Yeah, let me try this again (maybe a "few" drinks will help me):
The role players here will basically dictate the policy of the countries they control. But the frame of this AAR is only a brief window: 1523. It was at this point that the Emperor of Lithuania offered the Russian states money and protection for military access. This sounds innocent enough to us as video gamers; however could be signs of a growing Lithuanian plot to take over Russia to anyone who might have lived in this alternative time-line. So the Russians have to figure out what path to take to survive: unite, fight each other, keep the path, except Lithuania's offer etc. Meanwhile, players outside of Russia must try to influence the Russian players to pick them over the other players. The Pope will probably try to secure an alliance and force them to convert to Catholicism (for example), while maybe other Orthodox states want them to remain pure. Everyone has a game to play: figure out your goals and try to achieve them through role play. I'll work the game and figure out everything else and keep people up to date. If we solve everything quick: the AAR is over quick. If it takes decades for the Russians to figure things out (or they all play us like chumps) the AAR might last forever.

Hm, whatever he plans to do. Prepare for beddazlement (fanboy moment)
Always. ;)

However this works, i'll be following. But i'll wait a little to see if i understand before considering taking a role :unsure:

In any case, good luck !
Thanks!

Okay, we have a few Lithuanians, I am going to freeze that so we can fill out the Russians. December 26th or filling out the Russian positions, which ever is first, and I shall get this under way.

On that train of thought, how will this affect your other AAR?

I'd rather you'd continue that one but I have no say in what you personally do. It'd just be sad to see one AAR that I can always enjoy be put on the back burner. . . :sad:

Another question - what is that grayish-brown in the Caucasus? Georgia?

Lithuania's borders are very reminiscent of another eastern European nation, starting with P and ending with russia. :p
Heh, I noticed that as well. In the end it was because I have a slightly OCD streak and I like "realistic" boarders so I tend to hold myself back.

On that train of thought, how will this affect your other AAR?

I'd rather you'd continue that one but I have no say in what you personally do. It'd just be sad to see one AAR that I can always enjoy be put on the back burner. . . :sad:
It is still getting worked on, but I am home for the holidays and I cannot take my desktop computer with me... so I am working off my financee's netbook. My desktop has all my digital notes as well as map images, flags, character profiles and ~2gb of other Baltikja related stuff. Plus I do not know know how to quickly type accents on her netbook. Bastions will be back and probably updating faster than ever come early January.

Another question - what is that grayish-brown in the Caucasus? Georgia?

That's Circassia. In fact, I just sent a request to be the Circassian High Chief.
Yup, and I am looking at the new applications now. Again, netbook and everything. Slows me down a bit.

Can we have a brief summary of Lithuania's history/rulers (oh and I've nearly forgotten : please :p) ?
So, Lithuania starts with only a tiny Baltic port and plenty of claims that are severely sapping its prestige. Many of these cores are on small Russian states that are poor so they can be annexed outright. Basically, from a game-play stand point it consisted of invasions, annexations and then waiting for infamy to evaporate to a low enough level that the next war would not stick me over the limit. I was playing on low difficulty settings to get Lithuania to where I wanted it (and I never really play to be challenged, just to have fun).

From a narrative setting Kings with high military scores were used to conquer while Kings with high diplomacy scores often were used to boil off infamy. Poland took a couple wars to get rid of, the Teutons as well. Poland's AI made it easy to conquer them. They were more than willing to guarantee me, and try to align themselves with me because they expected I'd convert to Catholicism any day. I did my best not to abuse this by not calling allies and often times using cheats to switch to them and not defend me. It was stupid to think a country would a) guarantee a country three times as big as it and b) the same country that just finished sacking Krakow for the third time.

Revolt risk made conversions hard, luckily I ended up with a decent theologian, and I would often spend my cultural tradition on theologians to ensure I had missionaries and a good chance of converting. I tried expelling the Muslims and catholics at least once... but it doesn't always seem to work as designed. The only reason the Russians did so well is I basically helped them get there by actually beating the Hordes and occupying as much as I could. Moscow originally did really well but then they sparked wars with the Hordes farther to the east and since then we've all been under threat.

Last edited: