• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Combat system sounds awesome.

Regarding granting bishoprics to minors - this sounds a bit gamey. Is there a historical precedent for this? I think we should require characters come of age before they are made bishop or mayor at all.

Combat system sounds awesome.

Regarding granting bishoprics to minors - this sounds a bit gamey. Is there a historical precedent for this? I think we should require characters come of age before they are made bishop or mayor at all.

In the Roman Church, the canonical age for hold an ecclesiastic benefice was 27, but that could be easily overlooked with a Papal Dispensation. Gamey? If overused then yes, but if the benefice is rich then it was not out of the ordinary for nobles to secure them for their family by using children and laymen.

In the Roman Church, the canonical age for hold an ecclesiastic benefice was 27, but that could be easily overlooked with a Papal Dispensation. Gamey? If overused then yes, but if the benefice is rich then it was not out of the ordinary for nobles to secure them for their family by using children and laymen.

But how young are we talking? The game considers an adult 16. I think that would be very rare in itself for a 16 year old to be a bishop or a mayor, but if that is the minimum standard, I think it would be good. It's a bit ridiculous otherwise.

But how young are we talking? The game considers an adult 16. I think that would be very rare in itself for a 16 year old to be a bishop or a mayor, but if that is the minimum standard, I think it would be good. It's a bit ridiculous otherwise.

James IV of Scotland made his illegitimate son the Archbishop of St. Andrews when he was 11. James simply collected the income that came with the title.

In CK2 you can rename settlements and provinces in-game, just like you f.e. can in EUIII.

So I could make "County of Sigenigtenoag" have an event where, if a Vinlandic noble rules the province rather than a Mi'kmaq chieftain, I could turn it into "County of Villrland" and vice versa? Goodie. :)

No need for an event, you just click on the name and type in a new one, although I guess you could use an event if you want it to change every time.

James IV of Scotland made his illegitimate son the Archbishop of St. Andrews when he was 11. James simply collected the income that came with the title.

Fair enough. As long as it's a rare exception, I'm cool with it. I feel like there would be some backlash for a move like this. Maybe a relationship hit from other bishops against the king or something along those lines.

Fair enough. As long as it's a rare exception, I'm cool with it. I feel like there would be some backlash for a move like this. Maybe a relationship hit from other bishops against the king or something along those lines.
You're half-right.

James would have gotten in trouble for appointing a Bishop as part of the investiture controversy. But the Pope wouldn't care whether it was an 11-year-old boy or a 50-year-old man intent on (and capable of) taking Holy Orders. He'd just be pissed that the King was infringing on Papal turf.

Nick

James would have gotten in trouble for appointing a Bishop as part of the investiture controversy. But the Pope wouldn't care whether it was an 11-year-old boy or a 50-year-old man intent on (and capable of) taking Holy Orders. He'd just be pissed that the King was infringing on Papal turf.

Most monarchs reached an accommodation with the Pope by the end of the twelfth century whereby the monarchs could nominate bishops or exercise veto over their appointments, and I don't think Scotland was much different in that regard. Certainly by the first decade of the sixteenth century, when James made that appointment, it wasn't a tremendous issue. That makes me wonder, though, if there's a middle investiture law between lay (or free, as I think CKII terms it) and papal investiture, because there was a middle ground that tended to be the most occupied.

This is a developer diary about combat. If you want to discuss other various historic topics, please continue to do so in the history subforum instead.

Heck a 100 years before the time line of the game John XII became pope at 19 and he died at 27...things were flexible in those days even if Gregorian reform fixed some of the worst abuses