+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Crusader Kings Developer Diary 22 – Combat Tactics

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesSengokuRome: Vae Victis

Combat system sounds awesome.

Regarding granting bishoprics to minors - this sounds a bit gamey. Is there a historical precedent for this? I think we should require characters come of age before they are made bishop or mayor at all.

The GUI looks really good.

Defensor Fidei et Ecclesiae Hawkeye1489's Avatar
    200k clubCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by vwclaymore View Post
    Combat system sounds awesome.

Regarding granting bishoprics to minors - this sounds a bit gamey. Is there a historical precedent for this? I think we should require characters come of age before they are made bishop or mayor at all.
    In the Roman Church, the canonical age for hold an ecclesiastic benefice was 27, but that could be easily overlooked with a Papal Dispensation. Gamey? If overused then yes, but if the benefice is rich then it was not out of the ordinary for nobles to secure them for their family by using children and laymen.
    Resident Theologian & Catholic Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye1489 View Post
    In the Roman Church, the canonical age for hold an ecclesiastic benefice was 27, but that could be easily overlooked with a Papal Dispensation. Gamey? If overused then yes, but if the benefice is rich then it was not out of the ordinary for nobles to secure them for their family by using children and laymen.
    But how young are we talking? The game considers an adult 16. I think that would be very rare in itself for a 16 year old to be a bishop or a mayor, but if that is the minimum standard, I think it would be good. It's a bit ridiculous otherwise.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Morrell8 View Post
    Eh, a nitpick, when you play as Norway you can change the name.
    Can I change the text on the map?! I don't think that was possible in the previous version...

Sig Sig Sputnik Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Ardashir View Post
    Can I change the text on the map?! I don't think that was possible in the previous version...
    In CK2 you can rename settlements and provinces in-game, just like you f.e. can in EUIII.

But how young are we talking? The game considers an adult 16. I think that would be very rare in itself for a 16 year old to be a bishop or a mayor, but if that is the minimum standard, I think it would be good. It's a bit ridiculous otherwise.
    James IV of Scotland made his illegitimate son the Archbishop of St. Andrews when he was 11. James simply collected the income that came with the title.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultElven Legacy CollectionEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneMagicka
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSword of the Stars
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Mount & Blade: With Fire and SwordCK2: Holy KnightEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post
    In CK2 you can rename settlements and provinces in-game, just like you f.e. can in EUIII.
    So I could make "County of Sigenigtenoag" have an event where, if a Vinlandic noble rules the province rather than a Mi'kmaq chieftain, I could turn it into "County of Villrland" and vice versa? Goodie.

Reichsmarschall Paradox Dev Team Darkrenown's Avatar
    200k clubHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEast India CompanyEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis: ChroniclesDivine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron III
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineLost Empire - Immortals
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuShip Simulator Extremes
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis

No need for an event, you just click on the name and type in a new one, although I guess you could use an event if you want it to change every time.
    Relentless madman.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post
    Then that is what I'll have to do!
    Can't have the beautiful name of Trøndelag labeled all over the awful fylke of Møre...

Quote Originally Posted by Morrell8 View Post
    James IV of Scotland made his illegitimate son the Archbishop of St. Andrews when he was 11. James simply collected the income that came with the title.
    Fair enough. As long as it's a rare exception, I'm cool with it. I feel like there would be some backlash for a move like this. Maybe a relationship hit from other bishops against the king or something along those lines.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Fair enough. As long as it's a rare exception, I'm cool with it. I feel like there would be some backlash for a move like this. Maybe a relationship hit from other bishops against the king or something along those lines.
    You're half-right.

James would have gotten in trouble for appointing a Bishop as part of the investiture controversy. But the Pope wouldn't care whether it was an 11-year-old boy or a 50-year-old man intent on (and capable of) taking Holy Orders. He'd just be pissed that the King was infringing on Papal turf.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Nick B II View Post
    James would have gotten in trouble for appointing a Bishop as part of the investiture controversy. But the Pope wouldn't care whether it was an 11-year-old boy or a 50-year-old man intent on (and capable of) taking Holy Orders. He'd just be pissed that the King was infringing on Papal turf.
    Most monarchs reached an accommodation with the Pope by the end of the twelfth century whereby the monarchs could nominate bishops or exercise veto over their appointments, and I don't think Scotland was much different in that regard. Certainly by the first decade of the sixteenth century, when James made that appointment, it wasn't a tremendous issue. That makes me wonder, though, if there's a middle investiture law between lay (or free, as I think CKII terms it) and papal investiture, because there was a middle ground that tended to be the most occupied.

Usermod Coordinator Paradox Dev Team Captain Gars's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIDivine WindSengoku

This is a developer diary about combat. If you want to discuss other various historic topics, please continue to do so in the history subforum instead.
    "I don't want to know or hear anything about neutrality. This is a fight between God and the devil. If he wants to side with God, then he has to join me. If he prefers to side with the devil, then indeed he must fight me. There is no third way."

Senior Scripter & Usermod Coordinator

(DON'T PM ME ABOUT MODDING ISSUES - THERE ARE SUBFORUMS FOR THAT)

~ Ivan Turina ~

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye1489 View Post
    Heck a 100 years before the time line of the game John XII became pope at 19 and he died at 27...things were flexible in those days even if Gregorian reform fixed some of the worst abuses

Will there be a Joan Of Arc

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4