• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ignore him! He is a Bolshevik and will be dealt with by his glorious imperial majesties secret police! Instead, let us view the glorious uniforms until our jaws hang low and the drool of envy drips from our mouths!

If its not clear, I want one of those tanker uniforms. Im going to build a time machine and go back in time, save Tsarist Russia just so I can get one.

Im going to build a time machine and go back in time, save Tsarist Russia just so I can get one.

Or you could get your hands on a Bolshevik one and take all the Red insignia off. You know, instead of screwing with the fabric of time

Ignore him! He is a Bolshevik and will be dealt with by his glorious imperial majesties secret police! Instead, let us view the glorious uniforms until our jaws hang low and the drool of envy drips from our mouths!

If its not clear, I want one of those tanker uniforms. Im going to build a time machine and go back in time, save Tsarist Russia just so I can get one.

actually the uniform is soviet... i dont think tzarist russia ever had that much tanks to ever consider getting a uniform :p

Very nice update. I like the very modern look of your time line's Russian army uniforms, much better than the older more 19th century kind of look the Russian military had previously.

Good update.

Nikolai said:
Hehe, someone has run wild with Paint.Net.:p Btw, last three pics doesn't show.

Fixed, sorry, I was in rush yesterday - a terrible day at work and about an hour to post the update and fall asleep :)

chepaeff said:
Praporschik used to be an officer rank in Imperial Army, not NCO

I know (it's obvious because of shoulder straps), but in English this rank translates as "warrant officer" :)

chepaeff said:
Why double-breasted greatcoats? They look good only for parade
Both Tsarist and Soviet army used such greatcoats in WW2 and they were OK ;)

Ivir Baggins said:
I know this sounds rude...

But can we have a proper update?
Heh, no worries, you can see that I have only one spare day between updates, and another one will be "proper" ^_^

Nikolai said:
It didn't only sound rude. It was rude. He probably did a LOT of work to make this update.
Thanks, I did :D

Deus Eversor said:
Tank suits should somehow of elite... dark evil powerful elite, like... oprichniki :evil:
(or special corps of gendarmes)

Traditional dress of special corps of gendarmes is blue-with-red, sorry :D And they're policemen (special, but anyway), so I didn't include them into this review

Deus Eversor said:
actually the uniform is soviet... i dont think tzarist russia ever had that much tanks to ever consider getting a uniform :p
You're right, the uniforms were personally designed by me. Tank an AC drivers in the Imperial Army used the same black leather coat with pilots and the same helmet, so they looked like pilots :D

@Morell8: Thanks :)

Kaiser_Mobius said:
Very nice update. I like the very modern look of your time line's Russian army uniforms, much better than the older more 19th century kind of look the Russian military had previously.

Thanks for your words, I was trying my best to make a contemporary-looking uniforms with traditional tsarist flavor :)

Or you could get your hands on a Bolshevik one and take all the Red insignia off. You know, instead of screwing with the fabric of time

But wheres the needless amount of potential for disaster in that?

However doublebreasted greatcoats were only for commanders/officers in Red Army and in Imperial Army. Onebreasted for privates and NCO's. Even czar used to wear soldiers greatcoat!

AFAIK number of buttons doesn't affect the warmth of a greatcoat (but with buttons the dress looks much and much better) and Nicholas II wore this greatcoat because he wanted to look more like an ordinary soldier than like an Emperor to increase troops morale :)

AFAIK number of buttons doesn't affect the warmth of a greatcoat (but with buttons the dress looks much and much better) and Nicholas II wore this greatcoat because he wanted to look more like an ordinary soldier than like an Emperor to increase troops morale :)

It's not about buttons or warmth, it's that soldiers and NCO's greatcoats were only однобортные. Besides there is no need for двубортные greatcoats in field or in service, they look good for parade only

It's not about buttons or warmth, it's that soldiers and NCO's greatcoats were only однобортные. Besides there is no need for двубортные greatcoats in field or in service, they look good for parade only

Why a soldier can't look good on his service and wear двубортную, which is much warmer (because one side of the coat covers another side) than однобортная? In Imperial Army there were no однобортные, because, you know, Russian climate is harsh, but soldiers and NCO greatcoats didn't have buttons, they were produced with special крючки. Did I explain this? :)

Edit: And when шинель is not двубортная in Russian military unification it's not a шинель, it's a пальто, I served in the Armed Forces of Russia and I guarantee it :D

Why a soldier can't look good on his service and wear двубортную, which is much warmer (because one side of the coat covers another side) than однобортная? In Imperial Army there were no однобортные, because, you know, Russian climate is harsh, but soldiers and NCO greatcoats didn't have buttons, they were produced with special крючки. Did I explain this? :)

There were onebreasted greatcoats :p
Greatcoat worn by the lower ranks all the armed forces in peacetime and in wartime, was made of cloth, gray-green color. It was one-breasted with six front buttons on the front (on the metal instrumentation in time of peace and safety, or without them, military) and a collar with colored flaps (tabs). During World War I used a khaki-colored tabs, which are often not worn at all. Officer's greatcoat was double-breasted.

Heh, OK then, you won (anyway in the modern army nobody would call one-breasted coat a шинель), but in my TL the Army will use double-breasted ones :D

You have no idea how confusing it is when you speak a single word of the sentence in Russian. :p

Well, some words in Russian don't have proper translation, it's not our fault, but I know it looks terrible :D

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire 2

smalltitle.jpg
Chapter Four: 1939-1941
Part XX: Vae Victis

When France was defeated, Hitler didn't have any serious rivals in Europe, which was very useful for him to expand his empire. The Third Reich became a reality...

bundesarchiv_bild_183-h25217_henry_philippe_petain_und_adolf_hitler.jpg

Hitler and Petain in German Paris​

Both members of the Axis - Germany and Italy - had certain claims and targets in Europe, and when France was defeated, they had no more reasons to avoid invasions and agression - Hitler and Mussolini became allies officially. German Wehrmacht attacked little Denmark, while Italy - little Greece.

Hitler attacks Denmark

w13_00409018a.91hzeonj8fks0goco8cs0w4go.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg

Columns of Wehrmacht army corps, being redeployed to Denmark​

Italians thought that their war against Greece would be as simple and fast as Italo-Abyssinian conflict. But they didn't know how brave the Greek soldiers will be. Royal army of Greece didn't wait until the Italian invasion - Greeks defeated Italian border troops and started preparing a counter-invasion into Albania!

Greece knows how to defend her land​

Meanwhile, in Russia political situation became frightening. The Parliament was full of intrigues, scandals and hysteria, ministries were under double pressure from militarists and pacifists, members of different parties couldn't understand what they were fighting for. Pepelyaev suggested an anti-military law, but the Emperor vetoed it personally (which made Alexis II a bit more popular in the eyes of conservatives). Pro-militarist conspirators realized - that was their chance. On 13 of March Grand Dukes Andrew Vladimirovich, Boris Vladimirovich, Vladimir Kirillovich and Dmitry Pavlovich signed so-called "Grand Dukes' pact", in which they promised to support all pro-Militarist forces. Now militarists had the support of the ruling family (except pro-Republican Romanovs like HM Alexander Mikhailovich or HM Sergey Mikhailovich). Tsar's uncle HM Michael Alexandrovich was neutral. The Militarists started their operation...

0_613bf_8e40790_L.jpg

HM Vladimir, one of new generation of Romanovs (born in 1917), was one of the pro-Militarist Grand Dukes​

In the early morning of 15 of March Imperial Guard Corps under command of general Mikhail Drozdovsky left the barracks. Without any official order three elite infantry divisions took the sleeping St. Petersburg under control.

chapai12.jpg

Drozdovsky, general-of-guards​

General-governor of the capital was arrested, but the guardsmen said that it was "only for his security". Streets of the city were controlled by the soldiers, while special squads were heading for State Duma and Government centers.

Guards cavalry in Petersburg, March of 1940​

The Emperor was informed about strange actions of the Guards at 7:35,and Alexis II tried to prevent the aggression, but he got a message from the Grand Dukes that the operation is not a revolt and not against the Imperial House. Alexis decided to wait for any proper information. Meanwhile, the leaders of Militarists had a briefing in Guards' barracks - general Wrangel ordered to take State Duma, Senate, and all ministries together with telegraph station.

image696.jpg

The Black Baron without his usual Cossack outfit, a photo made in the Guards barracks - Wrangel likes how the things go on​

At 8:00 telegraph station (without any bloodshed) was under revolters' control. The putschists made an official statement:

To all citizens of the Russian Empire. Now, when our Motherland is in danger and is going to face the most aggressive enemy in her history, elected Government, being a coward band of fools and traitors, showed its full incompetence. We, the National Salvation Council, led by real patriots of Russia, officially call the Government disbanded. His Imperial Majesty Alexis II is not under any suspicion and he will continue his reign without any changes. Our Council is supported by all progressive members of the Russian society, including politicians, generals, admirals, journalists, economists and members of the Royal House. National Salvation Council will be ruling country until the threat of war will be destroyed. Glorious Russian generals and admirals, call your troops to arms, the incompetent government of liberal provocateurs should be defeated! For Russia, for the glory!

243.jpg

General Kutepov, an official propaganda advisor of the NSC and the author of the proclamation​

Wrangel, supported by hundreds of different generals, had a lot of troops in his hands, and the government was doomed. At 9:20 War Ministry was taken, Kornilov and Denikin with their advisors had to peacefully resign, Wrangel became a provisional chief of army, his adjutant Harzhevsky was appointed as new chief of staff.

230px-Харжевский_Владимир_Григорьевич.jpg

Harzhevsky, new head of the General Staff​

At 9:50 general Wrangel attended Winter Palace and met with the Emperor. The Baron, generals Kutepov, Harzhevsky, Drozdovsky and Biskupsky, Bermondt-Avalov, politicians from centrist and right-wing parties (including one minister, Swieatopelk-Czetwertynski) were going to explain their plan to the Tsar. Wrangel said:

- Your Imperial Majesty, today Russia gets her national government, liberal traitors from the Cabinet and Duma soon will be under arrest. Your crown is safe, your Empire will be safe soon, if you'll let us make our country ready for the war.

The Emperor answered:

- My father created the Constiution and the elective Parliament... - he took a long pause - for the peace-time. Now we're too close to the war-time. As the Emperor of Russia I understand that our current government won't be able to get our Motherland prepared. Baron, promise me that you'll not cause the bloodshed and none of my ministers will be executed.

- I promise if they don't resist, Your Imperial Majesty, - nodded Wrangel.

- Then I support your National Salvation Council.

At 10:30 Radio of St. Petersburg said:

"Emperor Alexis II officially supports the putsch. National Salvation Council is going to storm the building of the Parliament - now they have the Tsar's permission and any resistance will be considered as anti-Tsar action. Pepelyaev's government is in extremely difficult position".

antondenikin.jpg

Denikin resigns from his post "with honor"​

At 11:25 all ministries were under NSC control. Only State Duma was in hands of Pepelyaev's supporters and the Prime Minister tried to contact loyal army units and move them into the city, but he didn't get any answer - all networks were cut by the putschists. In a few hours Imperial capital became occupied by the coup supporters.

220px-Ген_лейт_барон_Врангель_плакат.jpg

Wrangelists' propaganda poster​

By 12:00 Pepelyaev and his ministers were arrested and the coup was triumphantly finished. New Imperial Government was appointed directly from National Salvation Council. The Parliament was dissolved until the end of military preparations and military conflict. All elections and political opposition were banned. NSC promised to self-dissolve when the war will be finished. Emperor officially appointed Baron Wrangel as a new head of provisional military government.

New government of the Empire.​

While the domestic situation in Russia was changing dramatically, Europe was shaking in the tremors of war. Netherlands were fully occupied by the German army.

Netherlands are conquered​

In Africa the things were better for the Allies - they managed to stop the Italian advance and even performed a good counterattack, taking one of Libyan provinces.

Situation in the North Africa

australian.c0fkq8xfjnwow0gk80ck8ccws.ejcuplo1l0oo0sk8c40s8osc4.th.jpeg

Australian troops attacking their enemies. Libya, 1940​

On 21 of March British India officially joined the war. The conflict became more than 4-fronted...

Indian step to the flames of war​

On 3 of April two interesting events occurred in the world politics - general Charles de Gaulle created an exile government of "Free France", while the Germans invaded Spain, which became their only enemy in the continental Europe...

One more invasion and de Gaulle's government

efb2_1_b.jpg

Charles de Gaulle

To be continued
Waiting for your comments
Next update: January, 29

im sorry but i have to

FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP-FAP :D

so what now? with Wrangelism triumphing aka bear-sharping-his-teeth will anyone even consider invading Russia? or will Wrangell actually invade himself (that actually would be good, initial invasion resulted in great loses and getting pushed back far beyond borders of poland)