• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Rasputin was mad but he wasn't an idiot - for such deeds he would be quickly arrested and executed by friendly guys of Okhranka :D And he had enough young women who really wanted him, so he didn't need to have sexual intrigues in the royal family. ;)

Anyway, Bolsheviks worked hard to find evidences of sexual relationships of Rasputin and the Empress (to make the monarchy and the royal family disgusting in their propaganda), but they failed to find any :D

certain princes and imperial relatives made sure that even rasputin (even him)* get removed

the murder of rasputin was actually a fun story on how you can(not) kill something that knows spells of revival :D

How was it? A poisoned glass of wine, next a couple of poisoned cakes, next an attempt to strangle him, then two direct gunshots, finally they threw him into Neva and once the police found the body it was evident that he tried to break the ice from below? Or did I miss something?

Russia celebrated Christmas on 25 of December before the Revolution. But after that Lenin changed the calendar and 25 December turned into 7 January :)

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire 2

smalltitle.jpg
Chapter Two: 1930s
Appendix 1: Christmas in Russia

Special Christmas update

0_484c0_43502df9_XL.jpg

[video=youtube;gbVfK90S6sQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVfK90S6sQ[/video]

Рождество Твое, Христе Боже наш
Воссия мирови свет разума
В нем бо звездам служащии
Звездою учахуся
Тебе кланятися, Солнцу Правды,
И Тебе ведети с высоты востока.
Господи, слава Тебе!

Дева днесь Пресущественного рождает
И Земля вертеп Неприступному приносит
Ангели с пастырьми славословят
Волсви за звездой путешествуют
Нас бо ради радися
Отроче младо,
Превечный Бог

Merry Christmas and happy New Year, my dear readers. Today is a special day, so today I'll speak a little about Russia Christmas traditions to make something like a present for you :rolleyes:

Actually, I'm not a fanatic Christian and don't consider Christmas as only religious event. Personally, I think that it's great holiday and wonderful European tradition with a lot of fun, stories and songs. Also, it's a perfect day to meet all your relatives, so, let's talk about traditional Russian X-Mas! :)

Christmas in Russia is celebrated on 7 of January, but actually the Church uses old Julian calendar, so original Orthodox Christmas is the same with all other Churches - on 25 of December. Christmas became widely celebrated in 10th century, when the people of Rus' were baptized by St. Duke Vladimir. Traditional Russian Christmas didn't look like Western one, because the Russians added a lot of folk (= pagan) events to the celebration, do the Christmas itself divided into two parts - official Church holiday (with classical Byzantine masses in the churches) and folk holiday (with a lot of songs and games). For Russia it is common to mixture Christian and folklore traditions.

Lebedev_baptism.jpg

Baptism of Rus'​

Very soon Christmas became the main winter-time event, because before the Christianity Russians didn't have any holidays in winter - winter was something dark and frightening for them, so Rus' got one more major holiday. Christian authorities and priests weren't so against folk traditions, they were wise to be patient enough, and the people appreciated that. For example, one of folk traditions, that soon became connected directly to Christmastime, was kolyadki, something like folk Christmas carols.

800px-Trutovsky_Kolyadki.jpg

Kolyadki in XIX-century Ukraine​

Kolyada was an ancient Slavic winter ritual celebrating the Old New Year. It was later incorporated into Christmas, and was very popular during the centuries. People were dancing and singing all the night, and these songs were called kolyadki. Usually young people enjoyed them very much, because it was something like a giant Christmas party. Dancing and singing people were visiting the houses and asking for some sweets as present. In Ukraine it was usual to give not only sweets, but even some food like pies or sausages, so everyone was happy and satiated.

Vkleika_0015.jpg

In Orthodoxy Christmas is always followed with a great beautiful mass in all churches, which lasts all the night from 23 p.m. till 4 a.m. Thousands of Russian citizens visit these masses every year and they're not afraid to stay the whole night in the church (believe me it's not easy, I tried it one or two times :D ). It's a very unusual mass with a lot of rituals, when everybody shows his happiness about the Jesus' birth. In Imperial Russia the Tsar always visited a church and stayed the whole mass together with usual people (in my AAR Alexis II would do the same :) ). Imperial government was giving away Christmas presents like sweets and grog to everybody who wanted it. 25 of December was an official state holiday. During the Soviet era Christmas was officially banned, and people who tried to attend church on 7 of January, were arrested as well as the priests who tried to organize a mass. In 1942 Stalin let Christians to celebrate their holiday and ordered to open closed churches (historians don't know why - most of them think that it was because Stalin remembered his young days when he wanted to become a priest, somebody thinks that Stalin believed that God will help him to win the war - the last version seems ridiculous for me), but anyway, when Stalin died, Khruschev closed the churches once again and restricted all Christmas celebrations. Traditional holiday returned only in 1991. In modern Russia Christmas is a non-working day.

NV_Gogol.jpg

Nikolai Gogol

200px-Alexander_Puschkin.jpg

Alexander Pushkin
Christmas always influenced traditional Russian culture. One of the most famous novels by favorite Russo-Ukrainian writer Nikolai Gogol "The Night before Christmas" was based on Ukrainian Christmastime comedy stories, where the devil stole the moon to prevent Christmas celebrations, but his plan was spoiled. Alexander Pushkin and Mikhail Lermontov, the most well-known Russian poets, wrote a lot of Christmas poems and rhymes. Leo Tolstoy, Fedor Dostoevsky, Mikhail Bulgakov - all these wonderful writers had their own Christmas stories. Christmastime was also very popular in Russian music, remember Petr Chaikovsky and his The Nutcracker (Schelkunshik) ballet.

Nutcracker_-1890.JPG

The Nutcracker​

Russians also have traditional X-Mas cuisine - sochevo (because of it in Russian Christmas Eve called sochelnik), which means porridge made of wheat and juice, syt' or kut'ya, which is made of nuts, corn and raisins. In Russian families it's also popular to eat a fried goose with apples and drink kisel.

676px-Koljivo_from_wheat.jpg

Syt'

wpid-Fruktovyiy-kisel-0.jpg

Kisel

26-44.jpg

Fried goose with apples

In modern Russia Christmas is not very popular. Soviet government transformed Christmas into New Year (with Christmas tree and presents, but without any folk or religious traditions), and nowadays most of population doesn't know anything about Christmastime. As I said before, for me it's more national holiday than a religious one, so I enjoy having a Christmas dinner with my family (and my girlfriend is a wonderful cook :happy: ), buying various gifts and presents, I really like a Christmas tree in my house. Together with my girlfriend and sister we've spent all the day searching a good tree for our house. Christmas tree in Russia is the same with all other European cultures - it's usually a fir-tree or pine-tree. Some exotic families (like my friend's one) use some other trees instead of "boring" fir-tree - for example, a palm-tree. Actually, in Russia there's only one special tradition for the decoration of X-mas tree - the star should be 8-piked, not 5-piked.

novi_god_dvorcov_580.jpg

Giant Christmas-tree in St. Petersburg​

And...well, if you're talking about Russia and about Russian holidays...there's no way to avoid alcohol :D In Russia it's a bad manners to be drunk on Christmas (because basically it's a religious event and you're celebrating Jesus' birth), so vodka is not usual on a Christmas table. But vine is nearly essential, and many kinds of it are used. Grog is a good thing to warm yourself, because Russia is (what a surprise!!11111) a very cold place. Soft vines together with church vine called kagor are very popular, too. Beer is a good thing to share it with all your family. Traditional drinks that are really dedicated to Christmas are medovukha (soft-alcohol drink made of honey) and mozhzhevelovka (strong alcohol made of juniper). Kids enjoy drinking non-alcohol things like kvass, sidr or different juices. Nowadays it's normal to drink champaign (just like celebrating New Year), but for me it's weird :D

370.jpg

Old good grog

vishnya.jpg

Different kinds of medovukha

271c79a24541c09c1e6ec538a51.jpg

Juniper (if you are curious what the heck is that)

file1487797_1215014899_60bac3ca64850fd1635d24c38d8a02b7_full.jpg

Christmas kvass​

Well...that's probably all I know about Russian Christmas, but I'm not an expert. Thanks you, and once again Merry Christmas! Usual update will be posted on Wednesday.

Ночь тиха. По тверди зыбкой
Звезды южные дрожат.
Очи Матери с улыбкой
В ясли тихие глядят.
Ни ушей, ни взоров лишних, -
Вот пропели петухи -
И за ангелами в вышних
Славят Бога пастухи.
Ясли тихо светят взору,
Озарен Марии лик.
Звездный хор к иному хору
Слухом трепетным приник, -
И над Ним горит высоко
Та звезда далеких стран:
С ней несут цари Востока
Злато, смирну и ливан.

To be continued
Waiting for your comments
Next update: December, 31
Enjoy your holidays!!!

Last edited:
Hehe, nice Russian Christmas update! Thank you for writing that!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Then polish xmass have a lot incommon with russian one :)
and yeah, me too, i dont get why we slavs need all those fancy invasionary alcohols from west, vodka, beer, "nalevka" (fermentated fruits of any kind in pile of sugar) it's all we need, and yeah, we eat goose or turkey, make "pashtet"(which westerners would say it's dog food since it's a mix of many things, foremostly meat and bread :D ), also we poles have many incomming cuisine from neighbours, barsch, ushka (mini dumplings with meat, you russians have a better name for it, i heard its a sport for you to make as many as possible :) ) gulash, dumplings and fried wursts. Also, to spice those up we make "chvikla" with "hshan" or hshan alone, not to mention delikate mushrooms.
On desert, our women bake cakes of all kinds, the best one is completely unfit for a diet because of being sugar high - "miodovnik", honey cake with vanilla pudding and chocolate frosting.

thanks to your insight i can only say, that slavic mass is the best mass. "Down with the West" :p

edit: yeah kvas, we also have it :) but i preffer ol' good herbata (aka chai) :)

Last edited:
@Deus Eversor: Wow, really :) In Russia we like pashtet too and call it the same word! Borsch is good, for ushka we've got a Finno-Ugric word "pelemeni" (which means "ears" really). It's like our national food, though actually it's national food of Mordva, a Finno-Ugric people in central Russia (but who cares? :D ). Gulash, if I'm not mistaken, is Hungarian.
I have no idea what "chvikla or "hshan" means, it's not clear for me :D
Miodovnik (in Russian it's medovnik, very similar) is a great thing, but quite heavy, I can't eat a lot of it :(

So, what can I say? Slavs are really brothers, you can see it, paradox fans :D

ushka is polish for eayrs, and yeah pelemieni was the word i looked for :)

cchvikla(apparentelly english doesnt even poses it in dictionary :D ) is composed of burak(betroot and hshan(armoracia)

i know, me either, but its because my toungue cannot stand more sugar :D i preffer a good wet sernik (cheesecake)

Hell yes we are... why we seceded and hate each other then... :(

When Kievan duke Yaroslav the Wise had a civil war with his brother, his brother had a Polish king as an ally. And when two armies met near the river, soldiers started shouting at each other and mocking each other with rough words. It shows that in 11th century there were no differences between Poles and Russians and their language :D