• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
staroslovianski, i heard most of it was preserved in the starocerkievny. anyway, about kievan rus, we poles are proud that our sword of kings called shcherbietz wasa the sword that knoked kievs gates down with the hand of first polish king boleslav chrobry

anyway goodnight :)

Le done!

Maybe if the Bolsheviks take over Germany, the word Spartacist would take over the meaning instead of Soviet. That's a possibility.

In German 'Soviet Republic' could be translated to 'Räterepublik' (= 'Republic of the Councils').

@Arturius: Thanks, my friend :)

Great, seems like my AAR is going to win. Really thanks for your support, guys, but let's wait the final results ;)

The Darkest hour of the Russian Empire 2

smalltitle.jpg
Chapter Two: 1930s
Part VIII: New Empire 1931-1932

Emperor Alexis II had a lot of things to do. He inherited a huge, powerful empire, and it was his duty to continue the growth of industry and prestige of his country. Prime minister Tereschenko was a good economist and together with Ryabushinsky they continued improvements of the economy. Russian IC-rate was growing every week, as well as resource stockpiles. It let the Russian Government properly supply Yugoslavia (the only country, that got into Russian sphere of influence after the Great war) and fill the interior markets.

200px-Vladimir_Ryabushinsky_ca1910.png

Ryabushinsky, minister of economy and finances​

Some changes also appeared in the Russian political system. Alexis II, being more liberal-thinking than Nicholas II, agreed to create Polish national party - PLP (Polsko-Litovskaya Partya, Polish-Lithuanian Party). It was the first national party in the Parliament since 1914. Polish and Lithuanian politicians proclaimed Polish autonomy (but not independence or separatism) as their main target. Popular politican Seweryn Czetwertynski was elected as leader of the party. So, in 1931 political parties changed a bit.

Polish-Lithuanian Party

Seweryn Czetwertyński​

Ideology: Autonomist (politically Market Liberal)
Political views: Autonomisation of Poland and Lithuania, Polish and Lithuanian languages as the second in their provinces, special tax rate for Polish and Lithuanian people in their governorates
Supported by: Polish nationalists
Leader: Seweryn Światopełk-Czetwertyński
Targets: Get senator positions from Warsaw and Krakow, get one minister in the government, create a senator position of Wilno (Lithuania)

Official name of this party is "Party of Autonomy and Freedom of Polish Tsardom and Lithuanian grand duchy", but it's faster to call this faction PLP - Polish-Lithuanian Party. This party has nothing in common with original Polish nationalists, who want full independence - members of PLP like living in the Empire, but they want some certain rights for Poland and Polish people. They want to officially recognize Polish and Lithuanian language as the second one, create their own laws and bring back national parliament (the Sejm). This party is the youngest one, but they are going to get a great amount of votes on the next elections.

Meanwhile, the time was passing. On 27 of January Pierre Laval became the French prime minister, and in February republican parties in Spain won the elections. The world was stranger with every year...

280px-Laval_1931.jpg

Laval, the new prime minister​

On 14 of April republicans, who won the elections, started their revolution. King Alfonso XIII, who ruled the country from 1886, had to flee from Spain. Of course, conservatives, clergy and army commanders couldn't like that. Spain was going to split apart...

397px-Retrato_del_Rey_Alfonso_XIII.jpg

Former king of Spain

202346624.jpg

The Spanish revolution​

One more revolution deposed one more monarch. One of Alexis' ministers, worried about the Russian future, asked him about liberal policy (he was afraid that liberal laws and press would cause a revolution in Russia), but Alexis smiled and answered:
- Of course, it's dangerous. I can lose my throne. But if my country becomes autocratic once more, I will certainly lose it.
The Tsar's answer became a quote and soon appeared in all newspapers. It was a good answer indeed.

On 23 of April in Germany Ferdinand Porsche started his own company. It was producing different machines and mechanisms, mostly cars and other vehicles.

1269093161_gv3jamjuy-1.jpg

Symbol of new German industry (based on Saxon and Wurttemberg CoAs)​

On 5 of May in Nanjing Kuomintang party accepted new Constitution of the Chinese republic, a new state was officially born. The Constitution wasn't perfect for all Chinese politicians, so a lot of opposition groups didn't accept it. It created a lot of future problems for China...

270px-Republic_of_China_National_Emblem.svg.png

Symbol of Kuomintang​

On 20 of May old leader of Russian nationalists, Vladimir Purishkevich, died. His Union of the Russian people got a more radical leader - Konstantin Rodzaevsky. Rodzaevsky was a senator, so it was easy for him to establish connections in the higher society. The worst thing was that a lot of popular army commanders like Semenov, Wrangel, Ungern von Sternberg became members of his party. Fascism started gaining popularity in the army...

800px-Russian_fascists_at_Harbin_1934.jpg

Rodzaevsky and his fascists

Vrangel.jpg

Baron Wrangel, one of Rodzaevsky's men in the army​

Russia continued growth and development. Foreign press, surprised with Alexis' liberal reign, called his early years "The new Empire" - they couldn't recognize old Russia of Nicholas II. And this new Empire needed strong military forces - on 3 of June new Russian battle squadron, Southern squadron of the Persian gulf, was officially founded in Persia. Russia got naval forces in the Indian Ocean finally.

A new fleet in a new port​

In July Adolf Hitler united his NSDAP with German National party of Alfred Hugenberg to form a strong Nazi bloc. He managed to do that, because Hugenberg was quite passive and incompetent politician, who agreed to include his party into Hitler's one.

200px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-2005-0621-500%2C_Reichsminister_Alfred_Hugenberg.jpg

Alfred Hugenberg​

In September the Japanese army continued their undeclared war in Manchuria - Imperial Japanese army continued marching onto Mukden, facing weak resistance of Kuomintang militia. Manchurian campaign was going to finish soon - chaos in China was unpredictable and ruined all chances to secure homeland. Russia always declared Manchuria as her own sphere of influence, but after Russo-Japanese war it was lost. Some "hawk" politicians of the Empire started thinking about Manchuria once again...

Japanese soldiers in Manchuria​

1932 started with the opening of new automotive factory in Nizhny Novgorod (author's note: in USSR it was called GAZ). Russia already had some cars' producing factories like Izhorsky and Russo-Balt, so new company was really welcome. NFA (Nizhegorodskaya Fabrika Avtomobiley, Nizhny Novgorod Automotive Factory ) specialized on heavy vehicles and transporters.

Gaz03-30.jpg

One of first NFA's cars​

In July the Great Depression reached its highest peak. Economy of America was in ruins, and more or less all countries suffered from it. Russia lost some money too, but her rapid industrialization saved her from the crisis.

UnemployedMarch.jpg

Crisis is never only economical...​

On 20 of July Franz von Papen was appointed as the new Reich Chancellor. Previous coalition government only worsened the situation. Von Papen was known as Hitler's sympathizer, so Russia didn't like his appointment...

PapenSchleicher0001.jpg

Franz von Papen and Kurt Schleicher, two new key figureheads​

In November Esquire magazine was founded, and soon it became one of the most famous and popular magazines in the world.

13-1.jpg

The Esquire​

On 8 of November Franklin Delano Roosevelt won the presidential elections. Americans considered FDR as the man who could save them from the Depression.

411px-Governor_Roosevelt_and_Al_Smith.jpg

Roosevelt and Al Smith​

Von Papen's government didn't last long. In December Hindenburg appointed Schleicher as new Chancellor and started negotiations with Hitler, who became the most popular politician by that moment. President Hindenburg waited only for the parliamentary elections...

Hindenburg made his choice - a poster of NSDAP party says "With him"

220px-Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-B0527-0001-020%2C_Kurt_von_Schleicher.jpg

Chancellor von Schleicher

To be continued
Waiting for your comments
Next update: December, 30

Last edited:
Oh, completely forgot - my dear readers, thanks one more time for your support and votes, at the moment my AAR has 29 (+1 mine, I don't count it) votes or 65%! It's going to be a victory, so many thanks. The poll will be closed on 5 of January, but we already have great chances to win.

Yours, Falconette :)

Last edited:
Because all non-Russian nationalist movements undermine Mother Russia! Why let all of these authoritarian Westerners threaten Russian superiority- er, I mean democracy?

of course plp will get many votes, because not only poles and lithuanians will vote for them, but everyone that udnerstands that their victory will be the opening of pandoras box - russian empire will change into (at best!) a confederation where tzar will be only one of the many memberstates leaders and will have to act equal to leaders of other member states...
Besides the more nationalities get power, the more power get fascists and that will eventually result in a civil war. the only way is to recognize humans rights but not rights of nationalities.

edit: also i would propose to make economy interconnected, imply a web of interests that will make it unpopular and unpractical to break the empire. bassically make your own itnernal stock market, banking system, etc. after all russia is a world within itself.

and i would still like to see revision of far eastern borders - half of china, korea, hokkaido, alaska hawaii and probably north-western coast line of norht america. so now ease the unease with europe, but make you feared in asia and norht america :)

Last edited:
edit: also i would propose to make economy interconnected, imply a web of interests that will make it unpopular and unpractical to break the empire. bassically make your own itnernal stock market, banking system, etc. after all russia is a world within itself.

Actually, Russia of course has internal stock market, banking system and so on. But I don't think it's useful to become isolationist when we did so much progress in the industrial power.

and i would still like to see revision of far eastern borders - half of china, korea, hokkaido, alaska hawaii and probably north-western coast line of norht america. so now ease the unease with europe, but make you feared in asia and norht america :)

Well, it depends on which bloc I'll choose in 1936 ;)

Actually, Russia of course has internal stock market, banking system and so on. But I don't think it's useful to become isolationist when we did so much progress in the industrial power.
but be weary of forreing interest and influence, trades should not be significant, only just so to appease western wearyness of Russia.
unless you are planing to suck in entire europe into your sphere :D (with oil maybe, you have now 3 of 7 oil richest places on the world - persia, caspian and siberia, other are north sea, arabia, north africa (+nigeria) and usa)

Well, it depends on which bloc I'll choose in 1936 ;)
obviously its either eurocentric or russocentric or atlantic centric (ally with usa? lolwut) so yeah, all direct teritorial gains will be outside europe now...

I often forget about DH AAR section because I'm mostly present at HoI2 section only, but worry not, I'm catching up everything anyway. To sum it up: Interesting developments, great presentations of events and characters (I especially like what you did with old Tsar and his young heir). Moreover, special Xmas update on Russian Christmas tradition was just lovely! It's just amazing to see that there are such strong similarities not only between neighbouring Slavic countries, but also among much more distant Slavic ''tribes''. I recognized most of your food names as we have similar names for them too, the same goes for some other terms, like Kolyadki carol singers for example (we know them as Koledniki here). With some delay, but since holidays are not over yet, Happy Holidays!

to what tribes you are refering to? i only heard of sorbian minority in germany but i thought that besides them slavs either got their own state or got anihilated by time///
also we poles have kolędy :)

to what tribes you are refering to? i only heard of sorbian minority in germany but i thought that besides them slavs either got their own state or got anihilated by time///
also we poles have kolędy :)

Oh, I meant ''tribes'' in general, as nations in fact. Maybe it sounds funny, but in the Kingdom of Yugoslavia, all three constitutional Slavic groups were called ''tribes'' which are making up South Slavic monarchy (Serbs, Croats, and my Slovene tribe). :D

Nice to hear about Polish kolędy too!

Slovenian! i bet you heard of a certain slovene once called himself delex dark ;)

Yeah, I know Delex, he used to be a bit non-conventional sometimes (I remember him for being a harsh critic and even harsher negotiator, he used to visit my AARs in the past).

@Asalto: Many thanks, I'm pleased with your comment :) About "tribes" - interesting word to represent the nations of Yugoslavia :D But it's probably correct - Serbs, Croats, Bosnians and Slovenes are technically one nation, divided into "tribes", AFAIK, their languages are very similar and they divided only by the religion, right?