• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Missed a few updates aswell. I like the storys development, rebel engineering is always an entertaining experience, if nothing else. Will you aim to colonize the coast of Alaska for as far as possible before games end? The Russian were there at some point :p

At last, an update! I trust you enjoyed your trip to Poland? You know, I've always wondered whether you're a Polish Scot, or a Scottish Pole, to have such deep roots in two different cultures, but anyway that's besides the point =P

I really liked this update - the discussion of the Finnish war was hilarious. It's good that Tver can still expand through infamy-free means, and with Beloselsky's ADM the possibility of overextension should be held off for a long time. I'm trying to work out what your infamy burn per month is, especially with his excellent DIP, and hopefully a Diplomat and an embassy up and running somewhere. Speaking of infamy-free expansion, are you still working on colonising those Siberian provinces? And I know it's irrelevant to the AAR and probably would be an interesting surprise to reveal later, but I'm really wondering what the rest of the world which you can see looks like.

And on characters, it's interesting to know that Mitrofan Beloselsky has a softer, or at least a more introspective side to him. Considering how it was Marta who basically set him up to this whole 'become the Lord Protector' thing, this makes it clear how she's the mastermind behind the whole business and it's really not as 'equal' a relationship as might be believed. As a firm believer that Boris was doing the right thing all along, this reveal doesn't make me like them any more, but I'm intrigued as to how this quirk of character sounds to me like it will end in a dramatic/tragic climax. Like it always does, as is typical of the 'Tverian succession'.

And don't worry, I did not at any point think you're rubbish at all, for if that were so I would never posted feedback or even started following in the first place! Keep up the good work!

Is it just me or have you added shading to Marta's breasts? ;)

EDIT: Nope, it was there all along. My compliments though, they look particuarly well-rounded this time around.

Also, do me a personal favour and station a huge oppressing army in Silesia for them to never rise up in revolt again...

She always enjoys compliments :D Yes, she's fun to draw. I try to apply the same standards to Mitrofan, but it does seem to be easier to emphasise buxomness than muscularity.

Not a fan of Silesia? It's one of my favourite parts of the world :D But I do have plans for said part of the world, hope they won't disappoint you.

Damn it! I missed an update. On the positive front, I get to read two. Now that you have your western border cleaned up a bit, it is good to see Tver looking eastward. Well, south-eastward.

Anything interesting going on around the world?

I'm not sure how far I'll be moving towards India or China, though with a core on Moghulistan it would eb pity not to take advantage. That, and more infamy-free wars means more Army Tradition.

And thanks for the reminder, it's about time I did a global update. I'll wait an update or two, since I'm working about 2 ahead at the moment.

Some minor gains there but any expansion is good expansion. Imperial Tver must bring constitutionally enshrined freedom to all the oppressed and unoppressed peoples on its borders. How old are the power couple now? They feel like they've been around for longer than other rulers or perhaps it's just my faulty perspective.

Not faulty perspectiveat all, I've just been experimenting with more regular, shorter updates. They're still pretty young (and as we know, Dobczyńskis age slower than other people).

in game, pretty steady progress, but somehow this combination raises all sorts of concerns:

Marta's relationship with Mitrofan is indeed one of leading an idiot to water (or some similar mixed metaphor)

That may have told you a bit more about my taste in women than was strictly necessary...

And actually, their relationship is more complicated than that, as I'll mention in my reply to aniuby...

I missed a few updates , butTver is doing fine , getting pretty borders and such :)

Glad that we share the same border priorities - new update has a bit more tidying as well :)

Missed a few updates aswell. I like the storys development, rebel engineering is always an entertaining experience, if nothing else. Will you aim to colonize the coast of Alaska for as far as possible before games end? The Russian were there at some point :p

Glad that you like it, as you can tell from the comments I constantly worry about bits of it :) Rebels are great fun to unleash, though sometimes frustrating when they don't flip provinces fast enough or are easily crushed. And I'd love to take Alaska, just worried that some other git will colonise it first. I want it, though, definitely.

I've been reading, I'm just not a fan of posting in AAR threads unless they're interactive.

Anywho, someone needs to die soon or something, I'm getting a little bloodthirsty.

Always good to hear from readers, my friend :) And thats more in the hands of the game than me - there will be blood, I just can't tell you excatly when :D

I'm curious to see what effect the new form of government would have on succession mechanics.

You mean the traditional Tverian method of succession, involving poison, wild animals et cetera? Fear not, plenty of bloodthirsty nobles out there with an eye for the main chance. Though they'll have to get through Dobczyńska first...

At last, an update! I trust you enjoyed your trip to Poland? You know, I've always wondered whether you're a Polish Scot, or a Scottish Pole, to have such deep roots in two different cultures, but anyway that's besides the point =P

I really liked this update - the discussion of the Finnish war was hilarious. It's good that Tver can still expand through infamy-free means, and with Beloselsky's ADM the possibility of overextension should be held off for a long time. I'm trying to work out what your infamy burn per month is, especially with his excellent DIP, and hopefully a Diplomat and an embassy up and running somewhere. Speaking of infamy-free expansion, are you still working on colonising those Siberian provinces? And I know it's irrelevant to the AAR and probably would be an interesting surprise to reveal later, but I'm really wondering what the rest of the world which you can see looks like.

And on characters, it's interesting to know that Mitrofan Beloselsky has a softer, or at least a more introspective side to him. Considering how it was Marta who basically set him up to this whole 'become the Lord Protector' thing, this makes it clear how she's the mastermind behind the whole business and it's really not as 'equal' a relationship as might be believed. As a firm believer that Boris was doing the right thing all along, this reveal doesn't make me like them any more, but I'm intrigued as to how this quirk of character sounds to me like it will end in a dramatic/tragic climax. Like it always does, as is typical of the 'Tverian succession'.

And don't worry, I did not at any point think you're rubbish at all, for if that were so I would never posted feedback or even started following in the first place! Keep up the good work!

I did, thank you :) And I'm a Scot with Polish family and a massive dose of Polonophilia :D

Beloselsky is Admin 6, which should be enough to hold off Overextension (well, one type at elast), though I wish he was a 7 which would allow me to finish Westernising. I'll check Infamy for you next time I play, though as you say it's pretty high due to Bel, Embassy and 5-star Diplomat. Colonisation continues and will be seen better, I think, in screenshot in the next update (I took a few of my new weapon factories in Siberian provinces but culled them to be under the 20 limit).

And yes, he definitely has a softer side to him. I gave him some aspects of my own peronality: he has his pride, and a temper on him which gets him into serious trouble, but is usually diplomatic, trying to get his way with minimum bloodshed (he wages a lot of wars but there's usually, I think, a good reason for them).

And on, Dobczyńska, I wouldn't go as far as saying she's the mastermind behind the enterprise - what they get up to in their chambers is their own business (well, mainly...) and doesn't have any great effect on their everyday running of Tver. Again, though, that's probably me failing to place the right amount of emphasis on parts of them. She's indispensible to him, and he nearly always follows her advice as he has learned - painfully, and largely from her - to realise his own limitations, but he is Lord Protector of the Commonwealth, and his word is final on matters concerning it.

But as ever, very useful notes and criticism. It's damn hard writing decent characterisation when you're basing your narrative off a game :D

Just came in here to say your punning makes me sick. I hope you are happy sir.

Nice AAR, I love the doodles of the monarchs.

Sick...in a good way?

And thank you, both for the high praise and for taking time to comment. Hope that you continue to enjoy it :)

There's no accounting for taste.

Good stuff, I'm enjoying the doodles and the writings some fun to boot.

Certainly not for the tates of the people who read this rubbish ;)

And thanks pal :) I've said it lots of time, but I mean it every time: I really value every comment, and all the time taken to write them, whether it's a compliment or some constructive feedback :)

I caught up to Aleksandra currently. I'm enjoying this challenging and hilarious report. I'll be reading more this week-end! Got 3 other AARs to catch up to as well...

I'm honoured that you think it's worth the effort :D Ah, Aleksandra. Makes me realise how slowly this AAR's progressing...but that's good, right? Good things come to those who wait, etc...

Episode LXVI: I Kissed A Tver (And I Liked It)

Burgomeister-General's Residence, City of Tomsk, Imperial Commonwealth of Tver, 1677

Lord Protector Mitrofan Beloselsky was continuing his sojourn in the eastern trading city of Tomsk, enjoying the hospitality of the Burgomeister. He would return to the capital before the harsh Siberian winter arrived, but had found it valuable to travel to the further-flung reaches of the Commonwealth, to be better understand matters on the borders of Russian civilisation and the complexities of running such a huge empire.

Developments further west, like a fish that vomits solid gold, had thrown up an interesting opportunity. Czech rebels had taken control of Lower Silesia, and returned the province, after a gap of a hundred years, to the control of Bohemia, the Archduke of Austria unable to suppress the rebellion with his forces busy in the Middle East.

'It's an intriguing development – Silesia is definitely a target, especially Wrocław and the surrounding area. The centre of trade in Racibórz is also on the list, but Austria still just about controls that...'

The Burgomeister nodded. 'Breslau alone would be worth the effort, Lord Protector. Tighten our grip over the international iron trade, and would greatly enhance the Commonwealth's control of central Europe.'

'Talking of greatly enhanced central Europeans, morning Dobczyńska.'

'Morning, sir.' Captain Dobczyńska clopped her way into the room, towelling her red hair with a towel, that being the primary purpose of that particular device. Her appearance often triggered involuntary physical reactions, although the Burgomeister's, that of massaging his bruised throat, was atypical.

'What do you think of Silesia, Dobczyńska?'

'Nice of you to Śląsk, sir.'

'I thought it was pronounced shlawsk.'

'But then it wouldn't...you are a very annoying man, Lord Protector.'

'Oui. Now, what about Breslau?'

'Not a fan. Wrocław is lovely though.'

'Should we call it Vratislavia to be neutral?'

'Might upset the Protestants. They don't like Latin.'

'Wretslav? Presslav?'

'The horse is dead, sir. I do, however, think that Lower Silesia would be an excellent acquisition for the Empire. The Czechs retaking it makes things much easier...though they have been rebuilding their armies. We should be cautious.'

There was a polite cough. The Burgomeister turned to his valet.

'You cough, Svensson.'

'Yes, sir.'

'Are you ill?'

'No, sir. Captain Telyatevsky is holidaying in Verona. He wrote that that the Czech armies are mainly located in northern Italy.'

'Well, that sounds promising. Anything else?'

'In addition the city's trade is up three percent on the last quarter, the new weapon manufactory is under construction, and there is a leopard on the verandah.'

'Well, don't stand there. Shoot it!'

'I would have gladly done so, sir. But the gun is also on the verandah.'

Beloselsky smiled. 'Dobczyńska, would you...'

'Certainly, sir.' The Captain of the Guard exited, cracking her knuckles.

With her armies primarily assembled in northern Italy, Bohemia was vulnerable. Banking on her inability to return her troops to her heartland before the Tverian assault, the diplomat was sent. The Imperial War for Breslau had begun.

To this day, the Czech for 'Holy Roman Emperor' is always prefaced by the term 'Bloody Useless': as usual in Bohemian-Tverian conflicts, the Prince of Liege took as much action to help his subjects as the bag of peanuts, safety assured by the potential consumer's allergies, takes in defence of the nearby chocolate bar. Bohemia would not be alone in this war, though: the Margrave of Brandenburg leapt to his neighbour's defence, keen to put a stop to further Commonwealth expansion towards Brandenburgian Greater Poland. He was joined by the Princes of Saxe-Lauenburg, and the Archbishoprics of Utrecht and Hamburg.

'Utrecht?'

'I whatted? Oh. Distance makes it hard for us to do much to them. They must think they're unDutchable.'

'Well, they shouldn't be too much of a problem. Tempting as it is to teach them a lesson, might be best to stick to our main objectives. '

'Agreed. Such weak opponents should be beneath our notice.'

Our armies are moving into Lower Silesia?'

'Yes, sir, and making excellent progress. As well as besieging Wrocław, our armies are attacking Górne Łużyce.'

'Known by the sensible as...'

'Oberlausitz, sir.'

It is just as important, as Edward II of England would testify, to know what is going on behind you as in front of you. The massed Commonwealth advance into Bohemian territory had left her north-western provinces open to attack from Bohemia's Germanic allies. Seventeen regiments, led by those of Brandenburg, laid siege to the city of Kalisz, whilst another seven marched through Brandenburg towards Commonwealth territory.

Their attack, though, had left their own territories to the counter-attack of Tver's Prussian allies. As the Holy Roman Alliance's vanguard advanced into Tver, the Prussian vanguard advanced behind the coalition rearguard. Pommerania, like a small yappy dog before a traction engine, offered little resistance.

The siege of Wrocław was swiftly over, cementing Tverian control of eastern Bohemia: and giving the Lord Protector the prize that he had desired.

'The King of Bohemia might accept peace for Breslau now, Dobczyńska...is there any other territories it would be worth taking?'

'What about Bessarabia, sir?

'It isn't worth very much.'

'No, but it would reduce Bohemia's influence over Hungary and Romania – not to mention tidy our borders a bit. Lord Sirkmonkeivsky made this request personally.'

'Well, have the keep the cartographers happy. Need them for Boundary Disputes...and I know a thing or two about boundary disputes.'

'And yet you still hog the bedsheets...'

The Prussians, meanwhile, were making themselves at home in Brandenburgian territory.

Beloselsky smiled. 'It's as if they belong together.'

'Prussians in Brandenburg? Can't see it happening.'

While one Bohemian army laid siege to Ersekuyvar, the forces of Tver had taken a far greater prize – knowing the futility of resistance to the Commonwealth's forces, the gates of Prague were opened, and Russian musketeers marched to the Royal Palace, whistling a happy tune.

The Prussian advances in Brandenburg, meanwhile, were sufficient to convince the Margrave to cut his losses. In exchange for reparations payments, and ending Brandenburg's vassalisation of Mecklenburg, a truce was signed.

The Commonwealth forces' pacification of central Bohemia was complete: while her strongholds in Hungary and Italy remained untouched, her Czech lands were once more completely under Tver's control.

Thus it was that the peace of Prague was negotiated. Bohemia would cede Bessarabia and Lower Silesia to the Commonwealth, as well as paying substantial reparations. The city of Wrocław, one of the cultural marvels of central Europe, would become another of the Commonwealth's main urban centres.

The newly enlarged Commonwealth had split the territory of Bohemia in two, partitioning their Hungarian holdings from their Czech heartlands. Defeated once more, Tver's great rival was battered, bruised, and ripe for rebellion.

Beloselsky walked to the window and looked out over his newly enlarged realm.

'A most satisfying expansion, Dobczyńska.'

'Pleased to see you as well.'

'Tver is not just an Empire, Marta. It's a greater entity, a unification of humanity. Most of her leaders may be Russian, but we harbour Poles, Lithuanians, Tartars, Silesians...this is humanity's future. Not divided by old ideas of religion and culture, but unified under one banner against regression, against prejudice, against hatred.'

'Quite the idealist, Mitrofan.'

'Always have been. Always will be. The Commonwealth may not be perfect, but I want it to be a place where all of God's people can find their place, where men are judged on merit, not on breeding or appearance. We're creating something beautiful, Dobczyńska.'

'Nobody else could have done this, Mitrofan.'

'And without you, Marta, I could have done nothing. I would be nothing.'

'Not nothing. But less than you are.'

'Perhaps. But look at this Commonwealth, built by your forefathers as much as the kings and princes for whom I stand in. I am no Emperor, Marta. I don't want to be one. But for all the glories of the Czars of Tver, I want there to always be a place for common men and women of honest, proven ability. And your family shall always be the first amongst them.'

Dobczyńska smiled. 'Our place is to serve, Mitrofan. To advise. But not to lead.'

'Except when we're alone...'

'Obviously. But this is your moment, Mitrofan. Your Commonwealth.'

'Not mine, Marta. Ours. Today, tomorrow, and forever.'

Amazing, first reply to a Fyregecko update, and it's been over a third of a day since it was posted. Has the rest of the world been sleeping?

Mitrofan is looking kinda 'armless in the first picture. I know he's got his arms folded behind his back but that's how it comes off to me with no artistic sense =P And I'm surprised they have verandahs in Tver. Turning Aussie, are we? Any plans to go for a safari down under sometime soon? There's a certain terrifying white beast somewhere down under of Tver known primarily for its 'Austral' characteristics =D

About the Mitrofan and Marta partnership, well, I guess I'm probably interpreting things differently (you're the author, after all!). My main concern is that personal relationships often tend to end with a bigger crash than working relationships, and in Tver as in life, eventually things break and people die. Previous Dobczynskis have been stewards - dedicated and loyal, yes, but to Tver, not to individual rulers. I'm really wondering how you'll write your way out of this - I'm sure you can and you will, but I'll still be eager to see it when it comes.

Can you not see that Mitrofan and Marta are the parents of a future Imperial House? Can you not tell that Marta is half Rurikovich? Is it not obvious? So it seems to me. I for one am always pleased to see well rounded borders. Is the leopard a replacement pet for the tiger? Prague hotelliers must have reduced rates for Tverian soldiers, such is the regularity and frequency of their visits.

"UnDutchable"? I think I almost died when I read that pun. Nice work as usual. I'll be keeping an eye out for any borders that look like they need fixing.

The ghosts of the Rurikovichs will haunt them!

Amazing, first reply to a Fyregecko update, and it's been over a third of a day since it was posted. Has the rest of the world been sleeping?

Mitrofan is looking kinda 'armless in the first picture. I know he's got his arms folded behind his back but that's how it comes off to me with no artistic sense =P And I'm surprised they have verandahs in Tver. Turning Aussie, are we? Any plans to go for a safari down under sometime soon? There's a certain terrifying white beast somewhere down under of Tver known primarily for its 'Austral' characteristics =D

About the Mitrofan and Marta partnership, well, I guess I'm probably interpreting things differently (you're the author, after all!). My main concern is that personal relationships often tend to end with a bigger crash than working relationships, and in Tver as in life, eventually things break and people die. Previous Dobczynskis have been stewards - dedicated and loyal, yes, but to Tver, not to individual rulers. I'm really wondering how you'll write your way out of this - I'm sure you can and you will, but I'll still be eager to see it when it comes.

Clearly your ninja skills are improving!

And I see what you mean, getting exact body part-positions alligned properly can be quite awkward [insert crude comment about close relative here]. I may have misused the term 'verandah', I was thinking about the covered outside porch-like bits of hutning lodges...it was a sentence that i was determined to get into the AAR at some stage as I just think it's a minted sentence. And Austria looks as terrifying as ever...my main objectives are west and eastwards, though if a province with good trade goods came up southwards, and I had a good chance of taking it, I'd definitely consider it.

And you're right that their relationship is different to previous Dob / Head of State ones, mainly because they've created a new form of government for the world's largest empire together :D And I know how I want to write my way out of it, but that depends partly on game events - and my ability to convey my ideas, which is often rather limited...

Can you not see that Mitrofan and Marta are the parents of a future Imperial House? Can you not tell that Marta is half Rurikovich? Is it not obvious? So it seems to me. I for one am always pleased to see well rounded borders. Is the leopard a replacement pet for the tiger? Prague hotelliers must have reduced rates for Tverian soldiers, such is the regularity and frequency of their visits.

We shall see :D And I'm glad that we share a love of well-rounded...oh, yes, borders too.

The leopard - my drawing probably doesn't make it clear enough - is a replacement carpet for the floor ;) And yes, I should think that the hospitable people of Prague have made special arrangements for frequent visitors, discounts, free tours, free upgrades and such.

"UnDutchable"? I think I almost died when I read that pun. Nice work as usual. I'll be keeping an eye out for any borders that look like they need fixing.

Not sure how manslaughter/homicide laws apply to the internet...regardless, glad that it wasn't as rubbish as I was worried it was. That's a horrible sentence. And please keep your eagle eye on the borders, bit of expansion in this update so there may be stray untidy bits. For myself, like all inexperienced leaders, wise counsel is invaluable in all matters.

"UnDutchable" was a choice pun. Well done, well done indeed.

I'm looking forward to the state of the world an update or two ahead, then.

It was one of those 'it's bad, but it has to be used' moments. And yes, it's screenshotted, just thinking how/when to slot it in :)

The Commonwealth is once again victorious.
I laughed out loud at the description of
and I know a thing or two about boundary disputes.
I am curious about the longer term future of the Commonwealth, if it will much outlast Beloselsky

It wasn't from personal experience. Definitely not.
And I'm equally curious, since I don't know yet :D It'll depend on things like wars, longevity, competence of his successors, and whether they have cool enough names to be made Czar :D

The ghosts of the Rurikovichs will haunt them!

Heh. I've been thinking whether there's any way I could restore them. Don't think it's in the random ruler name list, so it might require a PU under Novgorod or similar. The option to invite foreign rulers to be your monarch would be a cool addition to EUIV, though would likely only be used by players for roleplaying purposes.

that last image is quite stunning ... well done.

So Marta and Mitrofan gaze down onto Russia's (sorry, sorry, Tver's) future rather wistfully.

I'm sure it will all work out fine ;)

Thanks, I enjoyed drawing that one. Thought they'd earned a quiet moment together.

And yes, of course it will! After all, what could possibly...[cough]

Actually, I'll use this and the next post so that the next update is at the top of the next page :)

It's quite late and I've just finished the update, so these will just be screenies, but I can give further information later if requested :)

Europe...

Africa

Middle East and South Asia

East Asia

North America

and South America