• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chekhov character assassinated Tomsk pretty ruthlessly :D

It's actually kind of pleasantly quaint and provincial...though Tyumen or Omsk or Irkutsk would be the more historical CoTs.

After all your river puns I was trying really hard for the Oka, Volga, Kama, Ural, Don and Dvina, but just couldn't. Maybe a challenge for your next installment.

This makes me so tempted to do something with Tver in CK2...

It's actually kind of pleasantly quaint and provincial...though Tyumen or Omsk or Irkutsk would be the more historical CoTs.

After all your river puns I was trying really hard for the Oka, Volga, Kama, Ural, Don and Dvina, but just couldn't. Maybe a challenge for your next installment.

He didn't want too get too much bad Kama so thought it would be Oka to leave them for later.

Glorious!

Thank you :)

Don't know what to say, so...
Tits and war. Glorious indeed.

I try to cover all the necesstitties. Brecessities. Ne...you know what I mean.

I swear that the Czar is getting more and more tanned as the years go by. I suppose he won't be having a Vitamin D deficiency any time soon.
It's a shame that you weren't in a position to go to war with Austria. It would have been great to see two titans going at it.

This is due to my carelessness, he's actually meant to be very dark-skinned like in that update, but I notice that, in the next one he's back to be lighter-skinned again. Grr. I meant him to be much darker skinned to represent his mixed heritage (he was only a Medium claim – and diversity is always good anyway)

Spent today reading through this. Brilliant AAR my friend!

Too kind. Glad that you've enjoyed it though, without comments I wouldn't know anyone was reading :)

I was mainly inspired by the name (and Tomsk being my favourite Womble). I'd like to go thought it's not exactly near anywhere else I really want to visit...

And I'm holding on to 'Volga' for future occasions ;)

This makes me so tempted to do something with Tver in CK2...

I'd love to see it if you AARed it :)

Simply loved the writing in this update :D Massive thumbs-up!

Glad that my mix of rubbish speeches and schoolboy humour isn't a total waste of time ;) Thnaks mate, means a lot to me when people say they're enjoying it or offer tips :0

He didn't want too get too much bad Kama so thought it would be Oka to leave them for later.

Ever reliable, Mr Mede, I could set my watch by your splendid Punnery.

Any mention of the Oka makes me think of this beautiful piece of music.

as ever, genius ...

Thank you, sir, though the people who named the places did all the hard work really...

Last edited:
Episode LVIII: Catch Twenty-Tver

It was a warm day in early spring when Marta Hallie Dobczyńska turned to the door of the Czar’s private study. Mitrofan Beloselsky, Chief Diplomat to Czar Aleksandr V, entered with a flourish of his cape and a flash of a grin.

‘Morning Marta.’

'Haven't seen you for weeks. Where have you been?'

'I've been visiting Liège.'

'You spent three weeks with the Czar?'

'Liège, not liege.'

'What were you doing there?'

'Attending the King's coronation.'

'I thought they'd had the same king for years.'

'They have. But he's gone up in the world.'

'Impressive. Though with the Austrians so unpopular and their successes, they were the obvious candidate.'

'Correct. Anyway, that's good news isn't it?'

'You mean those all-expenses trips, diplomatic functions, unlimited wine and compliant women?'

'For Tver, I mean. And they’re not that compliant.’

'It is good news for the Czar. With the new King of Austria not elected Emperor, he'll have to reduce the size of his army. Eventually that could create an opportunity for the Empire.'

'Talking of Austria, how are they dealing with those rebels?'

'Too well, I'm afraid. The Bohemians allowed them military access, so they're busy beating Silesians up with pointy objects.'

'I'm sure there are laws against that sort of thing.'

'Their lives aren't getting any esia.'

'Well, we shall see. With less soldiers and enemies on all their borders, the chance will come again. The Austrians are in decline.'

'And the Empire of Tver grows stronger every day.'

'I just hope that we can keep it that way.'

Dobczyńska frowned. 'Concerned about the Czar?'

'The Czar is harmless enough, Marta. It's the Prince of Murom I worry about. Got a nasty, authoritarian sort of streak.'

'I'll admit, Czar Aleksandr does seem happier when young Boris is in Murom. He's a teenager, though. He'll change. We've plenty of time to work on him.'

'The Czar certainly doesn't have much time for him. I worry about the lad, Marta. I've been to courts all over Europe and Asia and I've seen plenty of heirs like him. Spiteful. Arrogant. Sick of being told what to do. I fear for our parliament and council if he ever becomes Emperor.'

'Careful, Mitrofan.'

'You don't see it?'

'I see it very well. But be careful with your opinions.'

'It's not just me, Marta. The people don't like him either. The Czar may not be the most exciting or charismatic of monarchs but he runs a tight ship. Knows his weaknesses, listens to advice.'

'Mainly mine.'

'Quite. But I don't think the Prince of Murom is quite so receptive. Already runs Murom with an iron fist. If he ever got his hands on the Empire...'

'Who's getting their hands on the Empire?'

The pair looked around as Czar Aleksandr V, Emperor of Tver and All the Russias, entered the room. Prince Boris Rurikovich of Murom followed behind him. The younger man had taken to growing his hair. The result impressed Dobczyńska – she hadn't thought that it possible for him to make his appearance even worse.

‘You look conspiratorial. Don’t they look conspiratorial Boris?’

‘Worryingly conspiratorial, father.’

Marta bowed. ‘We are not conspiring, sir. Merely discussing important events.’

‘Ah. Important events! We like important events. Money-related?’

‘Not this time.’

‘Can’t be that important then.’

‘There are other important matters besides money, sir’ opined Beloselsky.

‘Heresy! Arrest him, Dobczyńska, and have him burned!’

‘Can’t do that sir.’

‘Why not?’

‘Not after the 1650 No Torching People For Religious Reasons Act.’

‘Curses. Well. Careful with your tongue Beloselsky.’

‘He’ll be fine, sir. He’s usually very good with his tongue.’

‘Hem. Very well. How was the coronation Mr Beloselsky?’

‘Very jolly, sir. Excellent canapés.'

‘And Austria is not the Emperor.’

‘No, sir.’

‘Is the King of Spain now Emperor father?’

‘No, Boris. Spain is not the Emperor.’

‘With Austria weakened, sir, we should continue improving the army.’

‘Quite right, Dobczyńska! We should improve the training of our generals. A war college! Which is like a college. But for war.’

‘Good idea, sir.’

'Can you look into that, Dobczyńska?'

'I'll soon have their standards raised, sir.'

‘With a better army and our Prussian allies, we may be ready to take advantage of further European weakness.’

Beloselsky coughed a diplomatic cough. ‘Ah. About the Prussians…’

‘What is it?’

‘They’re having some problems. Many of their people do not think that they are Prussian enough.’

‘Send in the army, father! Show those useless Europeans how Tverians fight!’

‘Bad plan, my Prince, since the rebellion is our fault.’

‘What?’

‘Yes…one of our spies stirred up rebellion in Austrian-help Danzig. They got a bit overenthusiastic.’

‘Clearly your competence has been overstated, Beloselsky.’

‘Now now, Boris! Beloselsky is a trusted member of our council!’

‘Trusted by you, father.’

‘Boris! That is enough! Leave us.’

‘Gladly, father. Gladly.’ The Prince turned on his heel, long hair swishing, and flounced out of the room.

The Czar grimaced after his retreating offspring.

‘Are you all right, sir?’

‘I will be, Dobczyńska.’ He sighed. ‘That boy will be the death of me.’

‘That’s how it tends to work in your family.’

‘It wasn’t always this way, you know. The early Princes of Tver did not murder each other! Not all of them at least. The jury is still out on Duke Dmitriy I and the incident with the sharpened dessert spoon.'

‘They were fighting for their survival, sir. Sometimes that can be an advantage.’

‘I suppose you are right. I wanted him to be a great Emperor. I gave him Murom to prepare him for the crown of Tver. But he strips it bare. Impoverishes his little kingdom with his whoring and gambling. He is a wastrel, and a drunkard.’

‘You could weaken his power, sir.’

‘How, Beloselsky?’

‘Integrate Murom. Release its people from his grasp.’

‘I can do that?’

‘You’re the Emperor of Tver and All The Russias, sir. You can do whatever the kurka you want.’

‘I will…consider it. Though we might make ourselves another enemy. Anything else we can do to improve the army?’

I have an Idea, sir.’

‘Fire away, Dobczyńska.’

‘Battlefield Commissions. Further devolve officer training to experienced soldiers, ensure that their experience benefits future generations of Tverian soldiers.’

‘Splendid! Hem. An excellent plan. I will arrange it immediately!’

‘So, a lot of business to get through. Back to work, you two. I will see to the military matters, and then deal with my son.’

Dobczyńska’s eyebrows made a valiant bid for freedom before being captured by her hair.

‘No, Dobczyńska, I am not going to kill him!’

‘Just wondering, sir. It’s worked in the past.’

‘That is the pas, Dobczyńska, this is the present! For all his faults he is my son. I will abolish him in the way that I know – administratively! Officially! In black and white!’

‘Very good sir.’

‘Splendid.’ The Czar made his exit.

‘That went well I thought.’

Beloselsky nodded. ‘As well as it could. I still have a bad feeling about this.’

‘We’re councillor, Mitrofan. Not our place to doubt the Czar or his son.’

‘Are they so infallible?’

‘What?’

‘What happens if a monarch starts to ruin a country, Marta?’

‘That isn’t going to happen.’

‘Well. I hope you’re right.’

'Be careful, Mr Beloselsky. As Captain of the Guard, it's my duty to silence you.'

'Oh well. You can silence me any time you like.'

‘What about now?’

‘I suppose his Imperial Majesty won’t need me for a while.’

‘Definitely not. For an hour or two, Mr Beloselsky, you’ll be serving another master. And believe me, you won’t be questioning her abilities…’

‘Boris, I have a matter to discuss with you. Sit down.’

‘I prefer to stand, father.’

‘Very well. I have decided…hem. It has been decided that the Empire is to be restructured. Changed.’

‘What sort of changes. ‘It is to be centralised. Centralisation is more efficient.’

‘So you say.’

'Our maps are aesthetically displeasing! Border checks with Murom waste time and money! Time is money and we are losing both and I don't even know how that works! Hem. I am sorry, Boris, but Murom's autonomy must go.'

'And my crown with it.'

'I'm afraid so.'

'I agree, father.'

‘Why? Because I am the Emperor of what?'

'I agree, father. It's inefficient, as you say. Makes no sense. Plenty of larger nations are fully integrated, Murom should join them.'

'Oh. Hem. I thought that you would be furious.'

'It is time that the Empire was fully united, father. That cannot happen whilst in rule in Murom and you rule in Tver.'

'Well then. Thank you, son. I...underestimated you.

'You often do. That's always been your problem, father. Good with numbers. But not with people.'

'I know that, Boris. I know that only too well.' He sighed a weary sigh. Then his expression brightened. 'But! Now that's settled. The parliament of Murom are fine with this?'

'They'll co-operate, father. They'll co-operate.'

'Very well. What could possibly go wrong? What title would you like? Any you fancy? Launch me that pen over.'

'Gladly, father. Any title, you say?'

'Certainly. Overlord of Prussia? Duke of Rzhev? Archduke of Crimea?'

'I had another title in mind, father.'

'Another. Title. Entirely.'

Last edited:
Oh nooo!!! Aleksandr, why did you die! He's my favourite character since ... well, since the last Aleksandr, in fact. What about our military modernisation and kicking Austria's sorry behind back to Vienna? How could you leave us? *cries*

And what a terrible disappointment for a heir of Dobczynski to not be involved in, or at least witness the death of another Rurikovich. Seems like she was serving another Liege entirely. Also, that reminds me ...

"Boris Has Arrived."

I can only imagine what the map must look like now. Surely the African cartographers must be extremely excited to see your nation's label now. Perhaps we'll get lucky and something will happen to Boris before he can screw the nation up too badly.

Oh good, Tver needed a good shaking up with a power-hungry madman taking the reigns.

Putting pleasure before the protection of the Tsar? Oh, Dobczyńska, you have much to learn.

Boris is an excellent name. One of my cats is called Boris :)

Well, whatever Boris does, as long as he does it better than Konstantin IV, I'll be on board for it.

Good work. Dobcynska raised several eL33t troops in Danzig for the glory of Tver.

I must ask though... why the bow and arrow? :p

Bow and arrow? Marta's all a quiver.

It's one way to inherit Murom, have its psychopathic ruler become Emperor. First the regency council will have to look to finding another Rurikovitch to rule the Empire. Can't have that snot nosed Boris ...

Hmm, Prussian rebels in Prussia? They must be supporting Baltic Prussians instead of these German upstarts. In this case, chances are they are zombies, so better keep an eye on them.

And thus, anothe Tsar passes away. I wonder if Tver will manage to handle Boris, along with that awful mustache of his.

He has that Peter I portraiture look. Promising, therefore.

Oh nooo!!! Aleksandr, why did you die! He's my favourite character since ... well, since the last Aleksandr, in fact. What about our military modernisation and kicking Austria's sorry behind back to Vienna? How could you leave us? *cries*

And what a terrible disappointment for a heir of Dobczynski to not be involved in, or at least witness the death of another Rurikovich. Seems like she was serving another Liege entirely. Also, that reminds me ...

"Boris Has Arrived."

I know. I almost had the sliders in the right place for MilMod. Bobbins.

And Marta's good, but she can't be everywhere. They really do bring it on themselves sometimes.

...and that is the new battle march of the Tverian Army :D

I can only imagine what the map must look like now. Surely the African cartographers must be extremely excited to see your nation's label now. Perhaps we'll get lucky and something will happen to Boris before he can screw the nation up too badly.

I'll post map-type updates at some point in the enxt few weeks, remind me if I forget :)

Oh good, Tver needed a good shaking up with a power-hungry madman taking the reigns.

Putting pleasure before the protection of the Tsar? Oh, Dobczyńska, you have much to learn.

What could possibly...

And she does have much to learn, but that's fine – she started earlier than most Dobs. And it's not really her fault – it would have happened at some point...

Boris is an excellent name. One of my cats is called Boris :)

I do quite like it. Good name for any kind of animal, I think. Especially spiders imho.

Well, whatever Boris does, as long as he does it better than Konstantin IV, I'll be on board for it.

Well, we shall see. He is a rather nasty piece of work, mind.

Good work. Dobcynska raised several eL33t troops in Danzig for the glory of Tver.

I must ask though... why the bow and arrow? :p

Slightly too leet as it turned out :wacko:

And it's a bow and pen – it's the pen that Aleksandr asked his to 'launch over'. My Artfail clearly :D

Bow and arrow? Marta's all a quiver.

It's one way to inherit Murom, have its psychopathic ruler become Emperor. First the regency council will have to look to finding another Rurikovitch to rule the Empire. Can't have that snot nosed Boris ...

She is, though more for the Chief Diplomat. Boris is a bit of a prat, not her type at all.

And yes, it's an efficient way of doing business I suppose. Sadly, Boris is old and impetuous enough to appoint his own RC – ie, they're all a bunch of idiots :(

Ooooh, another powermongering ruler. I wonder whether he'll make it through the regency...

sound of steps being oiled, grand pianos being moved up stairs, etc - :D

Hmm, Prussian rebels in Prussia? They must be supporting Baltic Prussians instead of these German upstarts. In this case, chances are they are zombies, so better keep an eye on them.

And thus, anothe Tsar passes away. I wonder if Tver will manage to handle Boris, along with that awful mustache of his.

That must be it! Sadly neither the shotgun nor the cricket bat have reached Russia yet :(

And you're damn right on the facial hair. One of my character / drawing notes for his simply reads 'slightly rubbish moustache' :D

He has that Peter I portraiture look. Promising, therefore.

Heh, I'm probably going to remaster that portrait, not very happy with it. But it'll do as a placeholder.

I had a bad feeling that the HR meeting would not go as planned. :sad: I take it the new guy isn't exactly equipped to modernize the army?

Not even vaguely :(

@ All: Apologies for the amount of time this took the write, and its brevity relative to that time. I had a lot of trouble deciding how to do this one, much more than I normally have with such a short update. Anyway, hope that it can adequately move the tale along... (adequate by my standards of course)

Last edited:
Episode LX: Primo VicTveria

The death of Czar Aleksandr V brought the reorganisation of the Empire of Tver to a crashing halt. An self-centred wastrel, barely old enough to be crowned, the most important matters of state were left in the hands of senior noblemen and women of grand title and negligible talent.

Their assumption of power, in preparation for Prince Boris's coronation as Czar Boris I, Emperor of Tver and All the Russias, was disastrous for the running of this mightiest of nations. The royal coffers, swelled under the steady hand of Czar Aleksandr, was plundered for trinkets and pleasantries for the Prince and his favourites.

Within the palace, two senior advisors to the late Czar met in solemn conference. Marta Hallie Dobczynska, Captain of the Guard, and Mitrofan Beloselsky, Chief Diplomat and recently promoted to the Privy Council stood in the hallway leading to the former Czar's study.

'Marta.'

'Mitrofan. You wanted to see me?'

'I did. I haven't seen you for days. Are you all right?'

'What do you think?'

Beloselsky sighed. 'I know. It was nothing to do with you.'

'I'm Captain of the Guard. The Czar's safety was my responsibility.'

'Czar Aleksandr didn't ask for you. He could meet his son whenever he wanted, it's not up to you.'

'I should have seen it coming.'

'Marta, you can't always be there to save the Princes of Tver from their offspring. How were you to know?'

'They always try to kill each other! It should have been obvious.'

'You'd have prolonged his life. You think Boris Rurikovich would have accepted his crown's abolition? He'd have waited for another time when you weren't there.'

'I suppose so. I still feel like a failure though.'

'By those standards, every Dobczyński was a failure. Do you blame them?'

'Of course not!'

'Then do not blame yourself. Boris Rurikovich killed his father.'

'As he killed his.'

'Konstantin IV was a tyrant. Aleksandr's succession was for the good of the Empire. His son, on the other hand...'

'He's looking to take more power into his hands, centralising the state.'

'The state isn't ready for this, Marta. For his plans or for him. He'll rule without the parliament, do whatever he wants and ruin our country in the process.'

'It's our job to divert him.'

'Is that all?'

'I don't like where this is going, Mitrofan.'

'You think that I do? If he goes ahead with his plans he'll be a tyrant. An Absolute Monarch with absolute power. Do you think he should have that?'

'Nobody does, Mitrofan, which is why we need to persuade him to listen to good counsel.'

'If he does what I expect him to do, Marta...something will have to be done.'

'What sort of something?'

'Do you really want to kn ow?'

'If you do anything stupid, Mitrofan, I won't be able to protect you. I serve the state. Czar Boris will be trouble enough without anarchy as well.'

'We'll see, Marta. We'll see.' Beloselsky turned on his heel and stalked out of the hallway.

The Empire of Tver was a huge, powerful nation, built with the blood, fire and steel of the Rurikoviches and Dobczyńskis.

Such an empire, though, requires complex administration. The previous Czar had been a master in this departmebnt, but the council of flatterers and sycophants that ruled in the Prince Regent's name knew nought of royalty but how to enjoy its benefits. Poor diplomacy, insensitive enforcement and outright greed overtook the empire's running. Income to the treasury fell, and rebel sentiment grew amongst the poor, the under-represented, religious and cultural minorities, and amongst those, such as Beloselsky, who feared a reign of tyrannical incompetence.

Dobczyńska and Beloselsky did what they could to stall the worst measures of their new overlords. Without true imperial power, they could be thwarted, hindered and delayed. But the time came for Prince Boris's coronation, a hugely elaborate affair compared with the more moderate, solemn ceremony that had heralded his father's elevation to the throne. Huge expense that should have been spent on modernising the army and improving infrastructure was wasted on fancies and novelties.

Czar Boris I did not waste time in enjoying the fruits of kingship. Amongst the many women he bedded, he did find time for his long-suffering consort, and a son, Prince Yuriy was born.

Further overly grand celebrations of the Czar's virility plundered the Empire's treasury.

Soon after, Czar Boris called a meeting of the Privy Council. A rare event, Boris preferring to rule through dictates from his chambers and leaving the less-exciting matters in the hands of his favourites. Concerned, Dobczyńska and Beloselsky attended.

The Czar rose to his feet.

'Ah! Good of you to join us, Captain. And my Chief Diplomat as well! To what do I owe the honour?'

'You summoned your privy council, sir. And my eyes are up here.'

'Yes, yes I did. And you came! Good. You know what the penalty is for defying me, Mr Beloselsky?'

'I can hazard a guess, sir.'

'Splendid. Bear it in mind, Beloselsky. I've never trusted you. And I never will. Step out of line and I will crush you like the lowborn insect that you are.'

'As you say, sir.' The diplomat's smile was so fixed it might have just left the garage.

'Good. Now. This is a map.'

'Your knowledge expands by the day, sir.'

'Thank you, Beloselsky. See, gentlemen and lady, how our borders envelop the primitive Ukrainians like a loving mother embraces her child?'

'Something like that, sir.'

'I feel it is time to put them out of their misery.'

'I can't recommend that, sir. They have had powerful allies in the past' interjected Beloselsky.

'I said, Beloselsky, that I feel it is time. That means that it is time. Because I am the Czar,a nd you are a worm. What are you?'

'Chief Diplomat for the Empire of Tver, sir.'

'What are you, Beloselsky? Again.'

Dobczyńska cast a warning glance. The young man's shoulders sank.

'A worm, sir.'

'Correct! You also learn well. Make the preparations please. You will deliver this declaration of war, and you, the delightful Captain Dobczyńska, will, send your armies to Ukraine and wipe them out.'

'Very well sir.'

With faces like thunder, the senior advisors left the Imperial presence, and went about their appointed tasks.

Beloselsky had the declaration of war sent to the Ukrainians, but went himself to Bohemia to negotiate with the King of Bohemia. His mission, he explained, was to persuade the Czechs not to intervene on behalf of their allies. While he was gone longer than expected, his task was completed: the Tverian-Bohemian border would remain quiet a year or two longer.

The might of the Empire unleashed against a small; tribal state, the result of the wear was never in doubt. In the name of pan-Slavic nationalism, the last Ukrainian province was brutally conquered by Tver.

Despite the attempts of his advisors to sway him, Czar Boris would have no half-measures: the tribal Ukrainians would be utterly removed from the map.

The annexation of Ukraina presented the Empire with tidier borders, but lost her some of the goodwill she had gained in years of peace and prosperity under the Czar's father. Murmurings surfaced in foreign courts of further Tverian aggression. Plans and plots were laid in European palaces of ways to deal with this re-emerging threat and her tyrannical leader.

Satisfied with his first taste of blood, the Czar summoned Dobczyńska to his audience chamber.

'So. Captain. A job well done.'

'I believe so, sir.'

'And I have more work for you – a little internal difficulty. Tell me, Dobczyńska, where do your loyalties lie?'

Dobczyńska gave a guarded look. 'To Tver, sir. Where else?'

'To Tver? Or to myself?'

'What matter, sir? I serve you as the leader of Tver.'

'It matters a great deal, Dobczyńska. You returned from Ukraine this morning, yes?'

'Yes, sir. Beloselsky should be back by now, I haven't seen him.'

'You may not know, then, that I dissolved the useless Imperial Parliament.'

'You did what?'

'What need have I for it? I am the Emperor, and I shall rule as an Emperor. For what little help I need I have my Privy Council, and loyal servants such as yourself, do I not?'

'Yes, sir, but I still don't think...'

'You are not here to think, Dobczyńska, only to do as I command. Anyway, my measures have caused some upset amongst less loyal subjects than yourself. They seek to rebel against me. To curb my power, my birthright, the potency of their sovereign.'

'Time to negotiate then, sir.'

'No negotiations, Dobczyńska. I want these traitors dealt with.'

'I will see to it, sir.'

'Splendid. I'm glad that your loyalty is certain in this...since I believe that you have been close to the rebels' leader...'

'What?'

'Oh, Mitrofan, what have you done...'

'The fool has made his move after all. Revolting against his anointed sovereign. I trust, Dobczyńska, that this traitor will be dealt with?'

'I'm sure that I can reason with him, sir. He's young, impetuous...'

'I want no excuses, Dobczyńska. Mitrofan Beloselsky seeks to undermine me. Me, the Emperor of Tver, appointed by God. You will crush his rebellion and bring him before me in chains.'

'There's no need for that! These people have genuine concerns, sir, and if you're going to rule the Empire...'

'If, Dobczyńska? Did you just say if?'

'A...a poor choice of words, sir. I meant that...'

'What you meant, Captain Dobczyńska, is spectacularly irrelevant! Are you, or are you not,a loyal servant of the Emperor of Tver and All the Russias?'

'I am, sir.'

'Then you will do as I have said, Captain. Without hesitation, without question, or I will have to question the importance of your position. My father may have indulged your mongrel family's birthright to one of the Empire's most important positions, but I am not a fool. You will prove your competence, your trustworthiness, or you will be removed. Do you understand?'

It is times like these that define not only people, but Empires. The choices of those given the power to change the course of history.

The choice must be final, and absolute. What is wrought in these moments cannot be unwrought. And ultimately, when centuries of family service are laid against one's own friendships, there can be only one choice.

Because for all involved – the judge, the victor and the defeated...

The outcome is final.