• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Episode LII: Bohemian RhapsTverdy
November 1623
Trakai, Duchy of Prussia

'Dobczyński?'

Mirin Janusz Dobczyńnski looked up from his writing table.

'Sir?'

'What are you doing?'

'Writing a children's book.'

'...what?'

'Hmm. Thought I'd go into writing books for children. It's called Zubr i Bobr. It's about the adventures of a beaver and a bison.'

'You think there's a market for this kind of thing?'

'I'll make a mint. Should be ready for release in six languages within a month or two.'

'Impressive.'

'I am. Anyway, what did you want?'

'To check the next stage of my plan.'

'Your plan?'

'My plan, which you're going to make for me.'

'Ah. Well, we're finished here, the Prussians can look after things. Time to launch a counter-offensive.'

'An offensive? The Bohemians are in Tver!'

'The best form of defence is attack, sir. The thug is not a threat when he's wearing his balls as earrings.'

'...mixed metaphor?'

'Better if you think that, sir. What I mean is, the Bohemians are ploughing through Ukraine.'

'Which is bad.'

'Agreed. But they're not threatening Tver herself.'

'I am a shepherd, Dobczyńnski, and I value all my sheep!'

'What I'm saying, sir, is that the loss of one's capital could prove a crippling blow to one's soldiers' morale.'

'And?'

'The Bohemians are in south-western Tver.'

'Meaning?'

'That they are not in...'

'...salad?'

'Bohemia.'

'So what?'

'It means, sir, that from Prussia we can move into Bohemian Poland...'

'And drink high-alcohol green liquid?'

'...if you like. But after taking control of Poland we can march on Bohemia itself, and capture Prague.'

'It's bold, Dobczyński.'

'I am, sir.'

'Right. Then put this masterful plan of mine into action!'

001armiesintoBOHPoland_zps1fee7f91.png

'By the way, sir you said that you needed a new barber.'

'I did?'

'Yes, you did.'

'Right. When did I say that?'

'Yesterday. And I've found a candidate. Half-Norwegian, half-Hungarian, ex-Hungarian army.'

'Don't the Hungarians dislike us?'

'No, not at all! We only defeated them twice and took half their territory. They don't hold a grudge!'

'I see. His name?'

'Mr Trøt Zslazsor.'

'You think he's a good barber?'

'Oh, absolutely. Guarantees a clean cut. A close shave. Knows how to use a razor.'

'Well...maybe later, Dobczyński. I just had my hair done. Too much of a good thing.'

'Whatever you say, sir. Until then, the war with Bohemia will continue. Mikulski!'

'Captain?'

'We don't have time to waste. We need to overrun Bohemian Poland as fast as possible. We have cannon and manpower. Storm the fortresses. Every minute we waste is time for the Bohemians to work out what we're up to.'

'Tak jest. Do Warszawy, pan Kapitan?'

'Oczywiście, pan Mikulski.. Dobczyński grinned. Do Warszawy.'

The Tverian force marched into Mazovia, making straight for Warsaw. The city, once capital of the Duchy of Mazovia, and once a glorified village that some idiot thought would make a better capital than Krakow, fell rapidly before the Empire's assembled might. The administartive centre of Bohemian Poland taken, the Empire's forces made rapid moves on Podlasie and Lublin, taking control of the provinces while laying further sieges further to the west.

002takingBOHprovinces_zps0997b17c.png

King Friedrich and his forces busy laying siege to the south-east of the Tverian Empire, Dobczyński's forces were able to advance unmolested into the Czech lands, laying siege to Prague itself. Without any hope of relief, and under the brunt of a furious Tverian assault, the capital of Bohemia yielded to overwhelming Imperial firepower.

003Bohemiataken_zps98c5c375.png

A kingdom, like a shark, can smell blood in the water from a mile away. And the Margrave of Brandenburg, his eye on rich Bohemian prizes, took the fall of Prague into Tverian hands as the signal to launch a devastating offensive into the disputed border lands of Niederlausitz and Oberlausitz. Legions of Brandenburgian soldiers marched boldly into the Czech lands, rapidly occupying the major population centres.

004BRADoWBOH_zps076db4d4.png

Their eastern territories under Imperial control, those to the north of Prague occupied by the Margravate of Brandenburg, Bohemia was in dire straights. King Fridrich's opportunistic attack on Tver was part of the walk of life, but with the Czechs distracted, the decision to attack had been all too easy for the Margrave - taking Bohemia's waiting provinces would be money for nothing.

005bohemiaheartlandinbother_zps7d78c55c.png

Bohemia's armies were still in the field, though - and Dobczyński would have to prove that, sword in hand, he was the sultan of swing.
The first Bohemian counter-counter-offsensive was launched against Lublin. Bohemia's reserve force was ordered to re-take the city, and to destroy General Sheleshpansky's Tverian army occupying the city and surrounding province.
Sheleshpansky, though, was prepared. He held the line against the Bohemian advance until a larger force arrived to relieve him. The leaderless Bohemians retreated in disarray.

006bitwalublinawyglalismy_zps37acd400.png

The momentum was with Tver, even without the Brandenburgian assault opening up another front to the north-west. King Fridrich's allies were an annoyance, eager to please the powerful king but unable to do more than lay the occasional siege in Tver's north-west, before being rapidly repulsed by troops from Murom and Nizhny Novgorod. Only one strong ally remained for him: Lithuania, whose troops had taken control of several of Tver's provinces containing large numbers of ethnic Lithuanians.

007waranalysiswinning_zps218d33e3.png

The Bohemian reserve force was outmanoeuvred by Sheleshpansky's troops, who ran down their retreat a few miles outside Grodno. Leaderless and directionless, the Czech surrendered without a shot fired.

008bitwagrodzienskiwygralismy_zps71ea1c8f.png

The immediate Bohemian threat removed, Sheleshpansky marched on Vilnius, looking to take the Lithuanians out of the war.

009atakowamywilna_zps25f366af.png

The siege was short, and the capital of Lithuania was soon in Tverian hands. The Grand Duke rapidly agreed to a peace treaty udner which he renounced all claims to Tverian territory, and paid reparations for the amount of damage done by Lithuanian boots to Tverian cabbage crops.

010paxzlitwa_zpse755d1de.png

Desperate, King Fridrich led his personal guard into Bohemian Poland, seeking to face the Tverian army in direct combat. He attacked Sheleshpansky's army outside Sandomierz in an attempt to sever one of the large Tverian armies. Sheleshpansky was stubborn, though, anad his men held the line until fresh troops, led by Dobczyński, relieve them - and who wouldn't look forward to being relieved by a Dobczyński?

011bitwasandomierska_zps5a6eebc9.png

Seeing the cause lost, King Fridrich fled from the field, leaving General Boleslav in charge of the Bohemian rearguard. A competent general witha masterfully colourful cockfeathered hat, Boleslav had little choice but to order a full retreat before the onslaught of the Tverian reinforcements.

012sandomierskakingbohleggedit_zps0909e499.png

The Czar smiled a luxurious smile at the news.

'Ah, the Prenzlau retreats, tail between his legs. Soon it will be time to make him pay.'

Dobczyński nodded. 'Aye, sir. Though we should be careful. We don't want to get too bad a reputation.'

'What do you mean?'

'Our successes at the expense of westren countries are getting a bit...infamous. We've just seen off one western coalition on a feeble pretext. If we get too much of a reputation...'

'I see. Bad reputations are...bad?'

'Aye, sir.'

'And reputational.'

'You astound, sir.'

'So we shoudln't take any territory from them?'

'What? Oh, definitely we should! We won't get many better chances for western expansion - this way we can call it a defensive move, creating a buffer zone between us and Czech aggression!'

'I see. I note that many of the possible targets are in Poland...'

'We already own Kraków. Why not to expand our holdings? The Poles will be better off under your most benevolent leadership than that of Bohemia.'

'Well...yes! Of course! Very well. What should we do?'

'Hire a good diplomat.'

'Is that a dinosaur you can stand on?'

'We'll get a bad reputation anyway - this is no time for half-measures. We should take a good three provinces from Bohemia.'

'Won't we be called Dishonourable Scum?'

'You will, sir. I'll be fine.'

'How does that help me?'

'It's just a name, sir. Sticks and stone may break your bones, but with all that padding you'll probably be fine.'

'But...I don't want...'

'Besides, with a good diplomat, people will forget about it within a few years. Short-term name-calling for long-term gain.'

'All right. Find me a diplomat.'

013recruitdiplomat_zps4fdd91a8.png

Chief Ambassador Beloselsky got to work convincing the courts of Europe that the Czar had nothing but peaceful intentions towards the west. His task would be made harder very soon - the Kingdom of Bohemia, stretching from Brunswick to Lithuania, was almost totally under Tverian or Brandenburgian control.

014almosttotalcontrol_zpsf62f3f4d.png

Dobczyński took charge of negotiation. He travelled to Prague, and negotiated a punishing peace with King Fridrich's diplomats. Tver would take a huge part of Bohemian Poland as recompence for the Czechs' treacherous assault. Mazovia and Warsaw would enter the Tverian Empire, along with Podlasie and Sandomierz. Bohemia would also end their vassalisation of the Archbishop of Riga.

015paxdealWARPODLSAN_zps88631ba7.png

The deal was accepted, and Tverian soldiers retreated from war-torn Bohemian territory to take up stations in the Empire's new Polish provinces.

016paxdealandwesttver_zpsc3c5da9b.png

The cluster of provinces linked the Empire of Tver to the Duchy of Prussia, encircling Bohemia's remaining Polish provinces in an attempt to inspire revolt against their Czech masters. Lithuania was also completely surrounded by Imperial territory.

017Tverskapolska_zpsa377760d.png

Not the tidiest of changes for the Guild of Cartographers to deal with, but they were content enough - the Empire's name would remain strong and proudly angled across the mappa mundi.

018wielkitwer_zps3f49d3cb.png

The Empire of Tver had passed her greatest test since the end of the ravages of the Golden Horde. Still far from invincible, her territories stretched from east-central Europe to the Steppes, from the White Sea to the Black. The first of the west's great Empires had been beaten, and in a defensive war. Once the heroic defenders of Christendom from the Tartar heathen, the bear had flexed his claws, and their reach had pierced far into complacent central Europe. As the poet Filip Dachs would later write,

'This Empire's might will not be bound
Europa trembles to the sound
Of ruthless Russian musketeers
Marching boldly 'cross frontiers...'

Last edited:
Great strategy. Like the new barber -had to work out that it's Throat Slasher -must be the scottish dialect.

The march on Prague was masterful and Tver has a fine general. I must admit I thought you were making the name up - but no he really is named Sheleshpansky

Tver's reputation could be better. Dishonourable Scum is never good. More wars for the Tzar to lead from the front and possibly die.

Tver's big Austrian neighbour is still a concern.A big war with them seems likely to me.

The Czar isn't too bright, is he?
Dobzywynskiye-or-however-his-name-is-spelled's multiple clues (to what his master plan was) resulted in nothing but the Czar's appetite for "salad" and "drink high-alcohol green liquid"...

Tver needs a real Czar rather than being puppet to Dobs.

'By the way, sir you said that you needed a new barber.'

'I did?'

'Yes, you did.'

'Right. When did I say that?'

'Yesterday. And I've found a candidate. Half-Norwegian, half-Hungarian, ex-Hungarian army.'

'Don't the Hungarians dislike us?'

'No, not at all! We only defeated them twice and took half their territory. They don't hold a grudge!'

'I see. His name?'

'Mr Trøt Zslazsor.'

....brilliiant!!

As are kingdoms-which-are-like-sharks.

Not so brilliant? Bohemian RhapsTverdy. I know you HAD to do it, but still...

Brilliant work, Fyregecko. I've finally managed to read through every single one of the chapters, and I've enjoyed them all tremendously - character-based humour AARs are my favourite, and the illustrations only make it better! I'm glad that so many of us are in agreement that this work is deserving of the award of Favourite EUIII AAR.

I'd just like to ask some questions which occurred to me in the course of reading through your AAR.

First, how old is Mirin Janusz Dobczynski right now? If he's the same man as Mijado, he has to be well over sixty now without even including his childhood years. Perhaps it's time to think of a successor? Or have his superhuman Scottish-Polish powers transcended even mortality itself?

Second, I'm curious as to how far ahead you play before writing the next chapter of your AAR. You seem to have a good idea of what's about to happen in the future of the story and thus write your characters around it (e.g. who inherits things, the heir's favourite hobby, so on), and most of your time is well spent embellishing the stories of characters who do in fact survive to murder ... I mean accede to the throne in the rightful Tverian fashion.

Last, I'd like to ask if I could borrow your concept of a royal family tree for my own project. You're probably the first writer in EU3-land to give some thought into how exactly rulers succeed each other, like they would in CKII, and I can't deny that it has inspired me along the same lines. Just hope the "Marriage Policies Pay Off" event doesn't mess up the glorious line of the Rurikovichs!

Good luck and I look forward to your next and future installments! Now that the audacious Bohemians have been put down, there's only one last rival for Tver's supremacy in Europe, a certain big white blob...

I laughed way too hard at the diplomat joke. If only you could get rid of those tiny vassals and enlarge your name on the map, in the Sokot cartography style.

Since this is my first comment here I can't forget: great AAR. There have been plenty of times when I should have been trying to sleep but instead spent the night enraptured and chortling at the ongoing adventures of Tver, its Tsars (and Tsarinas), and the terrific (in both the modern and traditional senses) Dobczyński dynasty.

The Siberians are a people with an inflated sense of self-importance, like a Cambridge Professor of Mathematics who believes that a published paper makes him a worthy man to educate and pontificate to the youth of England!

I must applaud, belatedly, the Rt. Hon. Huiver-Bagge for such a sagacious summation of the talents of the 2nd Lucasian Chair of Mathematics, 40 years before the man was even born.

Such towering intellect to be able to pierce the veil of the future.

Excellent work! It looks like You won't be fighting wars anytime soon, so we'll see more of Dobczynski treating the Czar to the finest services meant for... efficient work...

Great stuff! Slava Tveri! :D

Cheers mate :)

you did well to win that, neat move to lunge for Prag (or is that just a form of Tango?)

congrats on the superb pun in the title ... and my, you are growing some expensive cabbages

It does rather sound like a dance move...and cabbage can be very valuable, espeiclaly when made into premium stew

Great strategy. Like the new barber -had to work out that it's Throat Slasher -must be the scottish dialect.
The march on Prague was masterful and Tver has a fine general. I must admit I thought you were making the name up - but no he really is named Sheleshpansky
Tver's reputation could be better. Dishonourable Scum is never good. More wars for the Tzar to lead from the front and possibly die.
Tver's big Austrian neighbour is still a concern.A big war with them seems likely to me.

Dialects can be bloody confusing, especially when using foreign words. It's a strange name, I had to check how to spell it a few times but there must be some basis for it. And yes, Dishonourable Scum and hungry Ostriches are a worrying mix. Time to get the diplomats to work...

The Czar isn't too bright, is he?
Dobzywynskiye-or-however-his-name-is-spelled's multiple clues (to what his master plan was) resulted in nothing but the Czar's appetite for "salad" and "drink high-alcohol green liquid"...

It's pronounced 'dob-CHIN-ski', if that helps ;) And yes, the Czar's intelligence derives from his stats, ie. pretty rubbish. Green liquid was a rubbish attempt at an absinthe (Bohemian...) related joke.

Tver needs a real Czar rather than being puppet to Dobs.

Mr Dob would like nothing better! Unlike other parts of him, his feet are almost never up.

What bonus do you get for controlling the world supply of cabbage?

Not sure, something big though. His family speciality, the Dobczyński Number One Sandomierz White is more valuable than its weight in gold, like those ultra-expensive Chinese teas.

Not so brilliant? Bohemian RhapsTverdy. I know you HAD to do it, but still...

I know. It was an open goal rather than a thirty-yard screamer, but it had to be put away as you say...

What is Tver's infamy now?

Far too bloody high!

Hi aniuby. Thank you for such a lovely post :)
1) Very perceptive, rest assured that the matter is in hand. These things rely on appropriate in-game events, I'm waiting for an appropriate one :)
2) It varies, usually not more than one or two updates worth, though I'm about four ahead at the moment. As you say, it makes planning a story much easier: unlike, say, Crusader Kings, it's often hard to explain EUIII's events in a narrative form.
3) I'm flattered that you need to ask me about using something as ubiquitous as a family tree :D Of course, I'd love to see what someone else does with the idea :)

Apologies for the sleep-deprivation, but thank you for saying such nice things about the AAR. Knowing that someone finds it entertaining is what inspires me to keep it going, and it's a lovely feeling when people say nice things about it :)

And yes, I'm trying to knock off the vassal and PU - though my leaders keep dying during war time, so PU inheritance is looking unlikely. Will try to Integrate when I get the chance.

You will create Russia?

My Core on Moscow is coming up, but Russia? We'll see...

I must applaud, belatedly, the Rt. Hon. Huiver-Bagge for such a sagacious summation of the talents of the 2nd Lucasian Chair of Mathematics, 40 years before the man was even born.

Such towering intellect to be able to pierce the veil of the future.

Truly he was a man amongst men. Besides, with an Austrian Empire stertching into Asia and Great Britain formed by 1500, I think I can safely play the 'alternative history' card on this one ;)

@ HouseMaus: The more the merrier :)

Some minor corrections:
'Tak jest. Do Warszawy, panie Kapitanie?'
'Oczywiście, panie Mikulski.. Dobczyński grinned. Do Warszawy.'

Otherwise, great job.

They were, um...were speaking the late medieval west-Mazovian dialect. Which didn't have endings. Yup. No endings. No siree.

(Thank you. I love the language, except the bastard endings. No amount of conversation, exercises or episodes of Stawka większa niż życie makes them stick)

I love this aar! *subscribed*

Thank you comrade :)

Excellent work! It looks like You won't be fighting wars anytime soon, so we'll see more of Dobczynski treating the Czar to the finest services meant for... efficient work...

With such a high Infamy it would indeed be monumentally stupid to get involved in any more wars.

Episode LIII: Ashes Tver Ashes
Imperial Palace, City ofTver

'What do you mean, give up territory?'

In spite of what one might think from contemporary portraits by mediocre court artists, Mirin Janusz Dobczyński had teeth. He now gritted them. Firmly. If they had been more gritted, they would have been a Scottish road in winter.

'Those lands belong to the Duchy of Prussia, sir. That's the reason we took them.'

'To give them away? I am not a charity!'

'No, but you are the overlord of a powerful vassal who wants his territories. We have no use for Trakai or Memel. Rebel fodder with low tax incomes who will tarde through Novgorod whether they are under Prussian administartion or Tverian.

'Oh, very well. Get it over with. The Duke'll have to pay for them, mind.'

'I'm sure he won't mind, sir. You need to keep your vassals happy, and acts of generosity are one way of doing so.'

021sellingTrakMem_zps3e4d33ec.png

'Right. Show them that I'm a good monarch.'

'Correct.'

'Caring.'

'Also.'

'Compassionate.'

'Precisement, sir.'

'Right. Anyway, I'm off hutning.'

'Hunting?'

'Yes. Bit of hunting. Got a taste for it after all that soldiering you got me into. And I feel like a bit of rabbit.'

'I'm trying to improve your reputation - and you're going to shoot rabbits?'

'Certainly!'

'Blowing the buggery out of defenceless herbivores was not what I had in mind.'

'And that is where we differ, Dobczyński! Now if you don't mind, I'll be off. Bag few bunnies...' He hefted a musket with glee, and sauntered off, whistling a happy tune.

dobpureragin_zpsb59f8fad.png

022infamyprobs_zps30920ece.png

For all the attempts of Dobczyński and the Imperial diplomats, the Czar's reputation was almost beyond repair. Diplomatic insults, expansions of territory : these could be excused. But rabbits? 'A gentleman', the King of Great Britain would note, 'does not shoot rabbits.' And he was right. Kings and princes from Lisbon to Kyoto protested against the Czar's cruelty, his warmongering expansionism, and his wardrobe. Nationalist sentiments ran amok in Polotsk, the first of many to become hotbeds of separatist sentiment.

023natsentimentPltsk_zps0fdfebec.png

The Czar's considerable brow was furrowed.

'Rebellion, you say?'

'Yes. Bloody rebellion, blowing up effigies of you with gunpowder, that sort of thing.'

'Have the city guard arrest them.'

'It was the city guard blowing up the effigies.'

'Send in the army.'

'Where do you think they got the gunpowder?'

Czar Konstantin IV sighed, leaning froward on his specially reinforced throne.

'Could things be worse?'

'Oh, definitely. At least our rebels have a sensible grievance.'

'Eh?"

026PRUnotPRUenough_zps3ca6fca7.png

'Prussian patriots in Prussia.'

Dobczyński nodded. 'Prussian patriots in Prussia protesting that Prussia isn't Prussian enough.'

'These Prussians are crazy.'

'Ja.

'Maybe we should keep them at a distance.'

'Not just Prussians, sir. Germans in general.'

'What have you got against Germans?'

'Nothing...except that when Bohemia owned Sandomierz, they introduced the province to the Empire.'

'And? Oh. The Emperor doesn't like losing provinces, does he?'

'Not at all.'

'Can we...you know, un-Empire it?'

'We can indeed, sir. I'll get right on it.' Dobczyński exited, and mounted a heaving stallion. Afterwards he took a horse, and rode for Vienna.'

024SANexitsHRE_zps777e2790.png

On his return, he was greeted at the palace entrance by The Duke of Kholm, Dmitriy Kholmsky, Lord Chancellor and cousin to the Czar.

'Dobczyński? Where on earth have you been?'

'Vienna, my lord.'

'For four months?'

'It's a rather nice city. Oh, and I stopped off in Płock on the way home. Check how the family cabbage business is doing.'

'Was that all?'

'Oh, yes sir. Nothing else. Nothing else at all.'

'And the fact that this great Empire has a new neighbour...'

'Is completely unrelated, sir.'

'I see...'

027MAZreappear_zpsb9a46a58.png

'What have I missed, sir?'

'I've been trying to moderate the Czar's worst ideas. Got him to build a city Mint in Kyiv.'

'Kurka, that's good news.'

'He thinks it's a manufactory for sweets, but I don't think we need to...you know.'

'I understand completely, sir.'

'Good man.'

028kyivmintymint_zpsb0dad3ae.png

'These are difficult times for the Empire, Dobczyński. You know that as well as any of us.'

'I don't know what you mean, sir.'

'Come, come. I think you do. Because I feelt he same way. The Czar is a disaster waiting to happen, and will lead us to ruin if he gets half a chance.'

'I...where is this going, sir?'

'Dobczyński, if there was a lunatic running towards you, intent on removing your extremities with a rusty sword...'

'Glasgow's actually quite a nice city.'

'...you would wish to remove the sword from their grasp, niet?'

'Obviously.'

'That, Captain Dobczyński, is our job. The job of competent men...loyal to the Empire of Tver and dedicated to her welfare.'

'And to the Czar, of course.'

'Oh, of course. In our own special way. I know what you've been up to Dobczyński. You wouldn't kill him, but you've been giving him the opportunity to do it himself.'

'I deny everything.'

'But of course! It hardly matters - I approve, Dobczyński! But while our glorious master still lives, we should not over-burden him, should we? Is that not the job of advisors? To lighten his load?'

'...I see, sir.'

'We have the same objectives, Dobczyński. Well, for now at least. I want a man like you on my team in this. Can I count on your support.'

'Tentatively, sir...'

'Good man. Ah, your Imperial Majesty!'

The Czar stood in the hallway, a look of confusion on his face.

'Gentlemen! The Lord Admiral is unhappy!'

'Have you been commandeering his flagship to hunt elk again, your majesty?'

'It is my right! As Czar! And the elk had it coming. The Admiral says that it shows that we do not take the navy seriously!'

'I'll deal with him, sir. I'll explain to him that this country's enemies are at our borders, not over our seas, and priority must be given to the army.'

029navaltradscorned_zps7dcd7cae.png

Kholmsky turned to Dobczyński. 'What do you think?'

'I agree, sir. We should expand the navy at some point, but for now...the army is the way to glory.'

030armywaytoglory_zps2d47329a.png

'I'll let you two get on with things. Goodbye, your Imperial Majesty. Take care, Dobczyński...' Kholsky winked, and was gone.

'How has the colonial project been, sir?'

'Expanding. We have colonised a place called Tomsk.'

'Did the colonists go underground, or just overground?'

'What?'

'Just curious. They followed the usual procedure, no wombling free.'

031colonisetomsk_zpsb6354bf8.png

'Wombling?'

'Łąblować, sir. The Polish verb 'to go for a stroll in a leisurely manner, usually while tidying litter'.

'As far as I know, they did nothing out of the ordinary.'

'Fair enough. So, our next priority should be where the hell did that bloody moose come from.'

losglowa_zps798627d4.png

'Oh, that? I went on a little hunting trip to Lithuania.'

'You went over the border?'

'Yes?'

'And shot up another king's animals?'

'What's wrong! I'm sure they won't mind that I bagged a few moose!'

032warnedbyLIT_zps5a67e944.png

'I'll get the Ambassador to placate the Lithuanians...what happened about that smuggling problem?'

'What smuggling problem?'

'The problem with the smugglers.'

'Ah! That one. Dealt with.'

'How?'

'The city guard caught the men involved. I paid them to stop smuggling.'

'You...paid criminals to stop being criminals?'

'Yes! Now they will follow the path of righteousness!'

033smugglersrampanttooexp_zps4c14ebaa.png

'...of course sir. By the way, I hear that the Mongol Khanate are massing at the border again.'

'By thunder! Really?'

'Yes, sir! You'd better go and sort them out! Put all that hunting to good use!'

'Damn right I will Dobczyński! bring the heathen the cold steel of Imperial justice!'

'And remember - arrow-proof clothing...'

'Will only slow me down! I learned well, Dobczyński.'

034konattacksmongols_zps2ebc4df0.png

The Czar headed for the eastern border. In his absence, Dobczyński and Kholmsky ran the Empire's internal affairs. Most things went well, though there was a minor incident in Tverian Poland...

'I don't see what's so strange, Dobczyński. It's a Polish uprising in the former capital of Poland.'

'Not a Polish uprising, sir. A Cracovian uprising.'

035KRKuprisingWAR_zps710fffcd.png

'Is that strange?'

'It's like a Glaswegian uprising in Edinburgh. Or a Parisian uprising in Lyon.'

'Oh. Confused? Lost?'

'Or just being bloody awkward. I'll get Mikulski to deal with it. He's from Łódż, which makes him fairly neutral at least.'

'I know the name.'

'Used to fight asa merc for some of the German states. Went by the name of Hans Kloss - but most people still call him Mikulski.'

'Very well. Now then, I've been talking to the Duke of Nizhny Novgorod.'

'And?'

'He's getting on a bit, no children. He's happy to submit his title to the Imperial crown in return for a pension.'

'Terrific. Not a poor city by any means. And the guild of cartographers will be pleased.'

'My thoughts exactly. Can you forge the Czar's signature?'

'In my sleep.'

036niznovannax_zps1149363d.png

The Czar returned the next day, draped in wildlife pelts.

'Well, gentlemen? How goes the war?'

'No war, sir, just reorganisation.'

'I hear you annexed something?'

'Diplomatically, but yes.'

'Well, why not. Annexing is fun! But can't let you have all the fun, can I old man?'

Dobczyński looked suspiciously at Kholmsky. 'What do you mean?'

'Annexations! I feel like annexing something.'

'Sir, we have a terrible reputation.'

'Ha, they fear us! And we shall make them fear us more. What did the Lithuanians say?'

'They'll forgive you for the moose incident as long as you never darken their borders again.'

037borderfricLIT_zps4d70aba9.png

'Well then, you know what the best response would be?'

'To accept their word and move on to a healthier...'

'To move the border! Then I can hunt all the moose I want!'

Kholmsky shook his head. 'They won't move the border, sir. They like it where it is'

'Then we will move it, Cousin Dmitriy!' He grinned. 'With muskets!'

'Konstantin, cousin...no. Really, you're mad. This is the last thing that Tver needs.'

'I am Tver, Dmitriy! Not you, not Dobczyński, not anyone else. I have had enough of your patronising, your scheming, plotting and treachery! I am the Emperor, the alpha and the omnomnom, and I give the commands! You will return to your armies, and head westwards. Dmitriy, you will march on Vilnius!'

038DOWingLIT_zps2c34b8d8.png

'And Dobczyński, you will march on her allies and eliminate them from the war.'

'Denmark, sir?'

'No, not Denmark. General Sheleshpansky can deal with them.'

039DOWedBREDENPOL_zps4586b9a5.png

'No.'

'Yes, Dobczyński.' An evil smile split the Czar's features. 'You're always saying how much you love your homeland. Now you will return to her motherly embrace - and drive a sword into her heart!'