• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Before I forget, for blsteen: China, Japan and the surrounding area :)

FAREAST_zpsd0cb87da.png

@ loki100: She should have been more aware (since I imagine her...particular build would give her daily demonstrations of the power of gravity). Though her scientific expertise lay more in the field of chemistry than physics...

@ Omen: He will - it was a good few years for fruit as well. And the survival of Tver will be a challenge with these idiots in charge - large empire with lots of non-cores? Let's get a 3 Admin Regency for a 3 Admin Czar!

@ Deus Eversor: Tell me about it, I was flocking livid with the game for killing her off! :angry: I was looking forward to lots of fun adventures with her and Dobczyński. And she was great fun to draw as well :( (Equality note: I have the same thing with Dob actually, it's just that I get less chance to draw buxom, anachronistically catsuited blondes than I get to draw handsome, muscular redheads)

@ sprites: I know. It was just doing its job :(

@ Gruzmog: Indeed! These guys need to switch to a republic. Or just a Dobtatorship ;)

@ RGB: Feel free to continue! I'm glad that someone made that pun...and an interesting tit bit, don't know much about Ivan the Tverrible but sounds like Konstantin may be channelling him unconsciously.

@ Chief Ragusa: Until I convince Niz.Nov. to be annexed, and until a Czar/ina dies outwith wartime and allows PU inheritance of Murom. Bloody Hordes make that part difficult :(

Last edited:
Episode XLIX: Death and the King’s Tversman

The reign of Czarina Maria had ended abruptly, violently, and noisily. Bells were rung in sorrow the length of the empire (perhaps slightly thoughtlessly). Into the void left by this capable young woman stepped a regency council selected from amongst the nobility. The brightest minds amongst Tver’s aristocracy stepped forwards to serve their nation in her hour of need. They were then hoisted out of the way by a coalition of the ambitious, the over-promoted and the dangerously incompetent.

regcouncilportrait_zpsd62496be.png

Mirin Janusz Dobczyński heroically entered the breach (a subject on which he was a renowned expert), and did his best in his position as Captain of the Guard (presiding over meetings of the Regency Council) to curb the worst excesses of this cabal of loons. Even he, however, was swimming against the tide. He had received an honorary CBE in the New Year’s Honours list from the King of Great Britain: in his superintendancy of the council, he suspected that it should have stood for ‘Can’t Be Everywhere.’

001extension_zps8718e5fb.png

The parliament elected three Regents from amongst their number (Dobczyński’s vote had gone to a more intelligent candidate, a bag of spanners he had found in the castle armoury). The Dukes of Kazan (Davikamrovich) and Mogilyov (Nikolai Klegov) were joined in session by Duchess Ozbornova of Sarai. The half-Polish, half-Scottish retainer’s job was to take their decisions, interpret them in the most liberal way humanly possible, and then implement the least stupid version of them. Until then, it was his task to keep the young to-be Czar safe from ruthless men and women who sensed a chance to replace the scion of House Rurikovich as Emperor of Tver and All the Russias.

The more capable members of the parliament realised that the best thing to do was to assist Dobczyński in whatever way they could, and they made sure to support his attempts to keep the ship of state, if not on the straight and narrow, then away from large pointy landmasses inhabited by dragons, chimera and Welshmen.

002aristosgratefulforfavour_zps3bcffec6.png

At times, though, even he could not restrain them from lining their pockets at the expense of the Imperial treasury. And until young Konstantin – himself not overly abundant in the thinking department - was ready to take the crown (or at least less unready), these vultures would prey upon Tver’s coffers and resources.

002nobsdemandprivileges_zpse83050ad.png

Dobczyński managed to quietly push through a measure to provide Tverian citizens with greater individual freedoms (thus making them less reliant on the more useless of their superiors). At the same time, the Council were working in the opposite direction. The resultant confusion in the administration caused a catastrophic loss of control.

005losingcontrolofpeasants_zps84f2c204.png

The Council took only one measure with which Dobczyński agreed – the reactivation of a Colonial Ventures programme first utilised during the late medieval period. While the Council’s intention was to exploit it for the purpose of acquiring luxury accommodation in warmer parts of the globe, Dobczyński believed that he could also use the incentives to boost the growth of Empire’s eastern colonies and enhance the drive towards the Pacific.

003colventures_zpse24ce84a.png

The raids on the public purse, though, eventually raised the ire of the citizens of Tver. It was plain to all that, under the guise of ‘modernisation’ and ‘westernisation’, they were doing little more than embezzling the Empire’s funds and expanding their personal fiefdoms. While Dobczyński was able to avert the immediate threat of armed uprising, Something had to be done.

010massresistwestern_zps92f7644b.png

‘Your attempts to run this Empire, sirs, are causing absolute chaos. You are myopic and greedy, unworthy of this great empire which I, and my forefathers, served with dedication.’

Kazan smiled.

‘Come now, Dobczyński, you can’t be suggesting changes? I think you will find that we are running this mighty nation better than you believe. I have seen no problems!’

There was concurrence from the other two members.

‘You have seen no problems, sir, because I have dealt with them! If you do not change your methods, this country will be consumed by rebellion!’

The Duke of Mogilyov looked at him sceptically and waveringly (the finest wines of Italy have this effect, especially in the morning)

‘What are you – HIC! -suggesting, Dob – HIC! -ski? Let the idiot boy take control?’

The Duchess of Sarai giggled. It was a most annoying giggle.

‘Yes. The great Konstantin the Fourth! Can barely tie his own shoelaces.’

‘Speaking as the one person in this room who doesn’t need a team of servants to find their own arse...’

‘I say, Dobczyński!’

‘...I used to agree. I despise all three of you, but I agreed that Konstantin needed to be kept away from the throne as long as possible. The boy is a fool and will likely bring ruin to this country if he is not managed appropriately.’

‘Managed by – HIC! - you I assume?’

‘By myself and by others who have the best interests of the Empire at heart, sir.’

‘This sounds dangerously close to...giggle ...treason, Dobczyński!’

‘What was that about trees, Duchess?’

‘Teehee! Treason, dahling, not trees! Sillybilly.’

‘You don’t want to cross – HIC! – us, Dobczyński.’ Mogilyov pointed a warning index finger at a statue of Czar Aleksandr III several feet to the left of Dobczyński. ‘That boy will bring ruin to the Empire if he is ever allowed to take control. Best we keep him away from the throne. Maybe even...’

‘Maybe even what, my lord?’

‘Well, in the interests of the Empire, he may need to have a little difficulty or two...’

‘He did kiHIC! his sister after all...’

‘In ... teehee – your presence, I gather Dobczyński!’

‘He can’t do any worse than you.’

‘Now then, Dobczyński.’ Kazan beamed. ‘This Empire is in a perilous situation.’

Mogilyov started to nod, before realising that it would cause him to fall off his chair. ‘The mess – HIC! – left to us by the previous administration! Horrendous!’

‘We have to clean it up! This little...giggle...coalition of ours!’

‘Face it, Dobczyński, the last thing the Empire needs is its Emperor! He would be a disaster. An inconvenience! A disgrace to this nation! There must be, above all, a Stable Government!’

011shouldbestablegvt_zps6f757003.png

DObczyński sighed.

‘Very well, my lords. I can’t support the kind of measures that you are suggesting...but I know someone who might.’

‘Oh ah?’

‘The new Castellan of Tver. I’ll have no part in your...schemes...but the Castellan might be more interested in them than I am.’

‘Very...HIC!...decent of you, Dobczyński!’

‘It is my job to serve this country, my Lord. In whatever manner I may. If you follow me, my lords, I will show you the way...’

REGCOUNCILinhere_zpsd818a3c0.png

‘...Castellan?’

REGCOUNCILhereskasia_zps70f895fb.png

004kontakesover_zpsb00bac8f.png

CzarKonstantinIVportret_zpsb92bd793.png

‘Thank you, Dobczyński.’

The newly coronated Czar lazily draped his large frame over a couch .

‘I didn’t do it for you, sir. I did it for Tver. It was like a choice between cholera and syphilis.’

‘All the same. You did me a great service, and I would reward you for it.’

‘I do not require reward, sir, just something to take my mind off what I’ve done.’

‘Whatever you wish. You have never pretended to like me, Dobczyński. I admire that. You don’t need to like me. I still want you as my chief advisor.’

‘Very well, sir.’

‘Do you want to keep all your ceremonial duties? I could reassign them.’

‘Never. I had the honour of presenting the Sword of State to both your grandmother and your father.’

‘And my sister.’

‘She preferred to take it for herself. Couldn’t get enough of it.’

‘Bit of a breach of protocol.’

‘I didn’t usually have much say in the matter. She liked to be on top of things.’

‘A control freak, certainly...though a bit of a liberal, I thought?’

‘Oh, she knew a thing or two about restraint.’

‘Well, she writes highly of you in her journals. “Must occasionally be reminded of his place...” ‘

‘She sometimes had to keep me in line.’

‘”But diligent, strong, and quietly effective.”’

Very quietly. Still don’t know where she got those apples.’

‘You admired her?’

‘Her charms were very ample.’

‘A strange woman. Liked throwing me down the stairs, but far too gentle with others. But charms are not enough to run an empire.’

’She used them well. Had a way of smothering opposition.’

‘Well, it is time for changes. Everything must go. I’ve started with the art gallery.’

‘I noticed. Speaking on behalf of those with more artistic taste than a common woodlouse, it’s horrendous.’

‘I am the Czar, Dobczyński! I will have things as I see fit! A new state bed as well.’

‘Can I have the old one?’

‘If you want. Why?’

‘I became rather attached to it.’

‘So what now, Dobczyński?’

‘The crusade against the Kazakhs continues. I’m sure that it would inspire the troops if you were to pay a visit to them.’

‘Won’t that be dangerous?’

‘Dangerous? Of course not, sir! I’ll be in charge of the army, after all. It’s not like I’ll be filling your personal bodyguard with worthless idiots, ordering said unit into the forefront of the fighting and up over the walls in siege assaults or anything.’

‘Oh well, that sounds fine then! What could poss...’ The Czar coughed. ‘Excuse me. Forgot what I was saying?’

‘Oh, try to remember sir, please. I’m sure it was something very important.’

The Czar thought. His best thinking face was engaged.

‘Nope, gone completely.’

Kurka. Worth a try...’

006konattackskazakh_zps8f4ab609.png

As the war with the Kazakhs raged on, the steppe nomads were pushed further and further back. The Czar’s troops were ever at the forefront, directed there by the shrewd generalship of Dobczyński. Clearly he trusted the Czar’s fighting skills, as later observers have expressed surprise at his willingness to place Konstantin IV in such apparently dangerous situations.

007ploughingthroughkazakh_zps8fbd49de.png

The Czar, though, seems to have flourished in adversity (which was surely Dobczyński’s plan). Not only did he survive the heroic actions against the Kazakhs (Dobczyński was so confident, the Czar’s bodyguard was made up of criminals and not even issued with carry muskets!), he found in the east a plentiful supply of...open-minded ladies.

009HTTTaleksandr833_zps6152b6da.png

The succession ensured, the Czar headed home from the eastern front. Dobczyński still had business to finish, and the two had parted in the eastern capital of Samara (Dobczyński looking strangely annoyed upon the Czar’s return – likely he had been caught unawares by Konstantin IV’s timing, and been unable to prepare a suitable welcome for his beloved Emperor).

‘I am returning to Tver in the morning, Dobczyński! I trust you will not be long after me?’

‘Of course not, sir. By the way, have you inspected the Duke of Samara’s famed marble staircase? Freshly polished for your inspection.’

‘It’s a horribly long climb, Dobczyński.’

‘Hmm. Well, I made sure that a special meal was prepared at your hostelry.’

‘Thabnk you, but I have already eaten.’ The Czar patted his generous stomach. Dobczynski sighed.

‘very well, sir. I’ll only be a week or so. Do be careful while I’m not there.’

‘Of course, my dear Dobczyński! Would I ever do anything you disapproved of?’

‘Other than eliminating your competent, well-liked and decidedly buxom sister, reorganising the royal art collection, having one of the palace chapels turned into an additional supper room...’

‘Apart from those! You worry too much, Dobczyński! All will be well! You’ll see!’

armshoulder_zpsca921bd3.png

‘Pah. Careful. Thinks I’m an idiot, does he?’ A smile crossed the Czar’s face. ‘Time to start doing things my way...’

022spytodanes2ndattempt_zps598e7dcb.png

023milaccsweden_zps96941b4f.png

024dowDK_zpsb84f8977.png

dobheadsmack_zps45724c11.png

Last edited:
Denmark?

What?

Nice Ozborne pun there.

I read this from start to finish in over two days...I love it. Wonderful wonderful stuff.

Konstantin certainly has ideas of his own (I originally wrote 'mind' but on rereading the update I realised that was just plain silly to write).

terrifying reminder of the perils of coalition government there ... I mean no modern country would risk a bunch of incompetent aristocrats to run their country ... would they?

Why war Denmark, now? If you have cores on Murom and Niz Nov annex them the Tverian way. At least you'll have a Tzar who can westernize after the current tub of lard has gone to meet his maker. What is it that Tver has against Welshman?

Can't imagine why Konstantin IV won't try the freshly polished marble staircase or the sumptuous meal perepared by his loyal Captain of the Guard. What could possibly go wrong?

Perhaps the heroic Captain of the Guards needs to take an extended vacation and visit his relatives.

Prussian allies, no change of warleader expected... don't see a problem here to be honest. In the worst case scenario the western troops prove to much but you can always invite them to a nice winter solstice celebration in Tver then. They will invite you for the midsummer festivities in their lands in turn, guaranteed.

Also before I forget:

I couldn't help but notice that Konstantin has an exceptionally small head :p . Still wrest the window of the west from Denmark.

With his Scottish background Dob should recognise that the CBE award is in fact the sort of diplomatic insult that the English particularly enjoy. Its the wrong honour for someone of his status. This should mean war with England, not Denmark!

Worse, he's actually starting to live down to the implied status. Previously, Dobs never soiled the family honour by plotting against their Tsar. This one deserves to be ignominiously eaten by his own pet kitten.:mad:

A nice little war without any allies is just what the new Czar needs to stretch his wings. Especially with his handy bodyguards and a propensity to lead from the front.

Good thing Dobczyński kept the bed. Ah, memories.

Perhaps he should start an apple orchard.

According to the #23 rule of the natural perversity of inanimate objects, Konstantin is destined to be the longest reigning monarch so far. Furthermore, if not his 5 in diplomacy, he would have a good chance to survive until 1821, dying a few months short of the game's end, giving you time to play with a heir 9/9/9... who would be too young to rule, thus dooming you to spend the rest of the game with a 3/3/3 regency council.

And @ The Arch Mede... I think you misunderstood Dobczynski's actions and who the "New Castellan of Tver" was :D

And @ The Arch Mede... I think you misunderstood Dobczynski's actions and who the "New Castellan of Tver" was :D

It wasn't the Castellan. It was the way Dob put him in the front line. The Tsar should have been in the front line at his own insistence and only survived due to Dob's heroics. A true Dob would have protested at the Tsars determination to be in the front line. This false Dob cajoled him into it despite the Tsar's worries about the danger.

DumbTsar: once more unto the breach dear friends. I may know little of military skill but I do know that the place for the leader is at the front!
TrueDob: but Sire it might be dangerous.

FalseDob: ‘The crusade against the Kazakhs continues. I’m sure that it would inspire the troops if you were to pay a visit to them.’

NotquiteasdumbasallthatTsar:‘Won’t that be dangerous?’

FalseDob:‘Dangerous? Of course not, sir! I’ll be in charge of the army, after all. It’s not like I’ll be filling your personal bodyguard with worthless idiots, ordering said unit into the forefront of the fighting and up over the walls in siege assaults or anything.’