• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RGB: Indeed, wish I had thought of Partium before now...ah well. Hopefully there will be another time. East-central Europe is a potential area of future expansion, and there's plenty of time left in the game :)

homy_dog34: Thank you :) I intend to, though I'm still eyeing a lot of these AIs warily.

loki100: Tver has a fine artistic heritage to keep up. Surely you're all in favour of artistic experimentation and expression?

Mr. Capiatlist: Honoured, Mr C. Thank you :)

Episode XXXVIII: In Vino Tveritas

An Extract From I Yet Live(And So Does Tver, But You Were Less Interested In That) by Charles Percival Huiver-Bagge

The wine of victory is an intoxicating drink. Especially in countries where they do not drink wine, but rather a clear substance that is approximately five percent water, five percent potato juice, and ninety percent pure alcohol. Even I, who have supped upon a hundred brews in half a dozen continents, am forced to concede that the celebratory beverages of the Empire of Tver are rather on the strong side. Of course, I am not bewildered – what have I to fear from the barbaric liquids of these people? The fact that I cannot feel my eyes is not a problem, merely a new experience.

As you can imagine, the celebrations of Tver’s mighty victory over Hungary went on well into the night, and indeed most of the following month. It is perhaps unsurprising, then, that some of Tver’s neighbours were rather disgruntled by the festivities. The Archbishop of Riga ‘could not sleep for two weeks’ and warned the Empress of Tver that further anti-social behaviour would lead to Bother.

01rigawarns.png

The admonishment of this powerful nation brought a sobering end to the festivities. Parliament was reconvened, and Czarina Aleksandra met with her council to discuss the best riposte to this potential threat.

The Empress’ cousin, Elena Rurikovich, was in no doubt.

‘We must apologise to the Archbishop, Aleksandra. We can ill-afford to further annoy the Catholics after what we did to Hungary.’

Czarina Aleksandra smiled.

‘After what we did to Hungary, Elena, I think we can do what we like to the Catholics.’

‘You propose that we just ignore them?’

‘Not at all. We remind them of their place.’

‘Place?’

‘In the food chain of European nations.’

02addrigaSOI.png

This matter of foreign policy delicately resolved, the Czarina turned to more internal matters.’

‘Don Pedro?’

The oily Spaniard sidled forwards.

‘My Emprrress?’

‘Go to the Khan of the Golden Horde. Demand a concession of defeat.’

Don Pedro looked at Elena in confusion. Even the normally inscrutable clergyman, Brother Mijado, cocked his head inquisitively for a fraction of a second.

‘But you arrre colonising them, my Empress. They are a spend force.’

‘Precisely. I plan to put them out of their miserable existence in a few years, but I want to give their remaining provinces a chance to rebel against their leadership. The ones with Russian-speakers living in them especially. This will not happen while we have their provinces under occupation, and we need the money for other things. Go to the Khan, Don Pedro.’

‘Very well, my Emprrress.’

‘And you never know. They might not try and eat you this time.’

Carrramba.’

03peacewithGH.png

The Empire’s monetary situation had improved greatly in recent years, with gold flowing more liberally into the Tverian treasury than it ever had before.

04moneyimproving-1.png

Many provinces were almost running themselves. The Czarina favoured minimal interference in local affairs. Without direct, firm leadership from their betters, though, how could the peasantry be trusted to be productive? Surely this would lead to ruin.

05benignneglectbeloozero-1.png

The parts of Crimea that remained under Hungarian control were, as hoped, facing rebel uprisings. While there was a risk of these rebels crossing into Tverian territory, they could do far more damage in the Magyar-held provinces. If they were to defect from Hungarian rule, they could easily be absorbed by their rightful owners.

06GHandreblsinHUnCrim.png

The Empress was keen, though, to reduce the influence of her ineffective nobility. Still she remained uncrowned, and would continue so for some time until she could complete the reforms she desired. Further centralisation of the state was another step in this direction.

Fearing the outcome, Aleksandra reluctantly bestowed the task of reform upon her cousin. Why she was so reluctant, I have no idea – Elena Rurikovich is as loyal a subject as the Czarina has,a nd she set about her task to the best of her ability.

07lagerevoltinkiev.png

The victory over Hungary had shown the strength of Tver’s armed forces against a fellow eastern nation. But discipline and good generalship would not always be enough, especially against potential western opponents. The Empire of Tver were going to need guns. Lots of guns.

08buildweaponsvladimir-1.png

Minimalist intervention continued to cause laziness amongst the people of the Empire. Honest people cannot take their eyes off these ragged scoundrels for a moment.

09benignnegbolgar.png

To improve Tver’s international standing, the Czarina married off another cousin to the daughter of the King of Bosnia. Not the most prestigious of matches, perhaps, but one that boosted the strength and reach of the Rurikovich dynasty (some scurrilous voices had questioned the legitimacy of their leadership – scurrilous voices which have been mysteriously quiet recently.)

10RMBosnia.png

The full integration of several Ukrainian territories into Tver’s administrative structures gave a huge boost to Tver’s economy, especially in tax income from the bustling metropolis of Kyiv (a bustling metropolis by the standards of these fur-clad barbarians, that is – compared with mighty London the city is a raggedy flea pit).

11corsinukraine.png

The rise in status of Kyiv to the third city of the Empire of Tver brought a greater tolerance and understanding of the customs and language of the strange people that lived in the Ukrainian region.

12ruthenianaccepted.png

The colonisation of the Golden Horde, after an interval, was recommenced with gusto. With the manufactory in Vladimir paid for, economic resources could be focused on eradicating Tver’s greatest foe once and for all, avenging the defeats suffered by the Empress’ forefathers.

13GHKasimovdefects.png

To the south, the Ottoman Empire was in the direst trouble. They faced the full force of the mighty Austrian legions once more, and were in full retreat before their righteous fury! Never has Turkey been stuffed so artfully.

14ottomansgettingstuffed.png

Seeing the weakness of their southern rival, Czarina Aleksandra ordered Tverian troops to the border. A chance might arise to take the disputed Dagestan region, and reclaim Georgian territory for Tver’s Orthodox brethren.

15troopsconvergeonottoborder.png

The war, however, was over shortly afterwards, before Tver could take advantage of the situation. The Autraisn had annexed the Georgian territory formerly occupied by the Turk. Georgians celebrated their liberation from those who had been trying to force their religion on them...only to find another religion being forced upon them. The Ottomans had also released the territories of the Steppe Horde of Qara – including Dagestan!

16qaraexists.png

It was not to be, however. No sooner had Austria forced the release of Qara, than did they feast upon in. Her troops marched straight into Tver’s rightful territory, and stormed it before a single Tverian could set foot upon their prize.

17ostrichesstealDag.png

Soon, Austrian colonists flooded into Dagestan, and the region was claimed by the Austrians. Hostilities ceased soon afterwards, the Austrians having only taken the one territory that the Empress had wished for herself. In response to her protests, the King of the Austrians stuck his head in the sand.

18dagdefects.png

Thus was the map of Europe re-drawn once more. The Tverians had made progress in sorting out her internal affairs, but a new enemy was growing in size as Austria ploughed into Asia Minor.

19neweurope.png

Thus so I, Charles Percival Huiver-Bagge, leave you once more in suspense, as is my wont, right and privilege. I shall regale you with further tales of this embattled land when I see fit. And not before.

Huiver-Bagge

Last edited:
How audacious of Austria! Of course they must be taking lessons from the French ;) .

Good luck to you, expecially now that the Horde is nearly extinct.

Even I, who have supped upon a hundred brews in half a dozen continents, am forced to concede that the celebratory beverages of the Empire of Tver are rather on the strong side. Of course, I am not bewildered – what have I to fear from the barbaric liquids of these people? The fact that I cannot feel my eyes is not a problem, merely a new experience.

Are you sure our Huiver doesn't have a little bit of Scottish blood in him?

As you can imagine, the celebrations of Tver’s mighty victory over Hungary went on well into the night, and indeed most of the following month. It is perhaps unsurprising, then, that some of Tver’s neighbours were rather disgruntled by the festivities. The Archbishop of Riga ‘could not sleep for two weeks’ and warned the Empress of Tver that further anti-social behaviour would lead to Bother.

damn neighbours always complaining

Austria looks rather scary, would suspect it'll snack on the Ottomans again pretty soon ... very annoying it took just the province you wanted though

What is it about the Caucasus Region that draws Western and Central Europeans? The scenery, the woman, the shepherds? In some of my various EU games, I have seen a Castillian, French (they had quite the empire stretching from Beirut to Samara), Austrian (with the closest territory the other side of Bosnia), Milanese (ugh) and even an English dominated region. All AI, my empires tend to be more contigious.
Anyways, nice to see Tver prospering and hopefully the Czarina enjoys the fruits of her conquests.

Austromanian Empire! (must be crushed)

Hello all. A quick note to say that the AAR still lives - it's been rather a while, for which I apologise. I've had a tough few weeks at work so haven't had time for much else. Also, hoping to move into the new flat soonish, which should hopefully yield the tablet cable. I miss getting to illustrate these things, but my paint.net skills aren't nearly up to scratch with a mouse for the things that I have planned.

Anyway. It shall return. Whether that is good news or a threat is up to yourselves :D

Episode XXXIX: Sic Semper Tverannis

An Extract From I Came, I Saw, I Wrote Magnificently by Charles Percival Huiver-Bagge, MA, KG, GCMG, etc (in the post I am told)

I epistlise once more to you, the people of England, breaking my long fast from the table of wordsmithery. I write because these last years have been amongst the most eventful in the history of the Empire of Tver – and I, Charles Percival Huiver-Bagge, shall be the pilot of the ship of prose that guides you towards the shining beacon of knowledge.

These have been times of great change in the Empire. It began when the Czarina decided that the one of the Empire’s neighbours, the Teutonic Order, should be brought into her sphere of influence (and the Czarina’s spheres of influence are distinctly plentiful).

01addTOtoSOI.png

The Order is but a shadow of its former glory, and the Czarina’s generous extension of Tver’s protection brought much approval from the modernisers in the Tverian parliament, those who believed it was in the Empire’s interests to take a further interest in European events. But traditionalists, and the Czarina’s many enemies, were worried. Her cousin, Lady Elena Rurikovich, was not in favour of the enterprise.

‘You are too cosy with the Latin west, Aleksandra. Too nice to them. We should be looking to our own borders, not seeking to meddle in their affairs.’

Czarina Aleksandra smiled.

‘What difference does east and west make, Elena? Our Baltic frontier is as important as our Asian one. ‘

Mysterious Don Pedro, moustachios quivering, smiled and uneasy smile. For some reason, he does not just frown like a normal, sensible person would.

‘My Czarrrina, the Lady Elena was, I think, merely suggesting that we should exercise more caution. Perrrhaps it would not be wise to attract too much attention from some of the west’s larger prrrredators.’

‘Are you suggesting, Don Pedro, that the men of Tver need fear the decadent westerners?’

‘Decadent westerrrners, my Czarina, with guns. Loud guns. Ourrr men, brave as they are, are outclassed.’

‘Outclassed, Don Pedro, only because the nobility of this country are unwilling to adapt, to encourage the spread of new ideas. In the army as much as in other areas. No. It is time for change. Radical change. Huge investment in our armed forces, re-training and re-equipping them to western standards.’

Elena and Don Pedro exchanged concerned glances. The fourth member of the party, hooded clergyman Brother Mijado , merely hovered at the perimeter, looking devious as usual (he unnerves me. I often wonder what he keeps beneath that cassock).

‘Western standards, Aleksandra? I – and many others – am getting rather worried about your need for western standards.’

‘In our own inimitable style of course, Elena. But progress must be made. Like it or not, great technological advances are being made in the west, nd we must keep pace with them. Let it be so – a great reformation of the army.’

02reformationofarmyimproveexisting.png

The pace of improvement in Tver’s armed forces was rapid, so rapid that it even caught many of the soldiers themselves by surprise.

03soldierbeforeLT18.png

Regardless, though, Tver’s already well-drilled soldiers were swiftly issued with muskets as standard weaponry, negating the largest advantage that the Empire’s western…cousins would have had in case of any minor disagreements.

04LT18warmcoat.png

Tver is, of course, a backward country in many ways, and their empire-building, while great in scale, will never match western civilisations in innovation: these savages would likely have never even considered the idea that Pyrenees are rightful property of the nation of Augsburg!

05augsburghaspyrenees.png

While they maintain similarly backward ideas about east-central Europe: the Sheikh of Mentese has as strong a claim to the lands of Podlasie as any other mortal king!

06menteseownpodlasie.png

The Czarina, though, was having none of her advisors’ dissent.

‘Our internal affairs are progressing perfectly well. In fact, this very day we have taken Sarai, capital of our former tormentors. The city will be razed to the ground as a reminder of what will happen to all who oppose my will.’

Your will, Aleksandra?’

‘My will is the will of Tver, Elena.’

‘There are many amongst us who would dispute that.’

‘I prune daily in the garden of noble idiocy, but I have only ordinary shears. To do the job properly, I would need a scythe.’

07saraidefects.png

Elena shook her head. ‘You refuse to listen to reason, Aleksandra, Look at the advances the western countries are making. Austria stretch towards the Middle East, and we are right in their path. We need to keep our heads down.’

‘Keep our heads down? You speak like we’re still some provincial city state, waiting to be dominated by the Muscovites or the Tartars. Where are they now? The Tartars’ lands are almost all ours, while Muscowy is our puppet. No. Our best defence against the Austrians is to maintain our strength. The westerners won’t keep out of our affairs, so we must not keep out of theirs. Look: the Scandinavians squabble over territories that could be ours.’

08DENownEstland.png

Brother Mijado’s head tilted slightly, inquisitively.

‘You wonder, Brother Mijado, why I am interested in acquiring Estland?’

The clergyman nodded.

‘Expansion in the Baltic would allow us to move into more profitable regions: the Prussian territories are fairly rich. The Teutonic Order’s holdings – and former holdings if we get the chance – would be an excellent acquisition.’

Elena shook her head. ‘All very well, Aleksandra. But Tver is in no state for expansion. We must be cautious. These are most dangerous times.’

‘Dangerous times are times of opportunity, Elena! We need to open up our country to new ideas. Western ideas as much as any other!’

‘My Czarrrina, I cannot recommend this. If you start to follow European trrrends, you will look weak.’

Elena nodded. ‘We must stick to what we know, maintain our country’s traditions.’

‘No. Change is coming, and it is I who shall instigate it. Let the study of European arts and sciences flourish. Open our society to new thinking and ideas.’

09innoslidewelookweak.png

‘You cannot do this, Aleksandra!’

‘Why not? I am Empress of Tver!’

‘Empress in title, yes. All very grand. But you need us. And we will not allow it.’

‘You cannot stop me, Elena. For too long have I tolerated your interference and that of your kind.’

Don Pedro shifted nervously. ‘What do you prrropose, my Czarrrina?’

‘To end the nobility’s domination of our state’s governance once and for all. Already we are an Empire in name, but it is time to complete the last of our major reforms…’

13formaliseWSM.png

‘And to finish our transition to becoming a modern, European state.’

‘You would reject hundreds of years of good governance from our aristocracy?’

‘I reject the self-interested whining of privileged nobles with no interest in the advancement of this country. I am taking complete control.’

Complete control?’

‘The parliament shall remain, but my position, as Empress, shall be absolute. Tomorrow I will, finally, be crowned Empress of Tver and all the Russias. All our people – nobility, clergy and commoner – will bow before me, and see me elevated as the supreme authority of this most mighty nation.’

There was an awful pause.

‘Very well, Aleksandra.’
The Czarina, geared up for another fight with her cousin, was taken aback.

‘What was that, Elena?’

‘Very well. You can have your way. I suppose I have been – narrow-minded about this whole modernisation business. Perhaps it is time for change. The western countries have powerful monarchies, why should Tver – sorry, the Empire of Tver – have something similar?’

Don Pedro was similarly surprised. ‘My lady?’

‘Oh, Don Pedro, trust me. It’s time we accommodated the Empress’ wishes. A country of this size needs to be ruled with force and authority – and only an Imperial crown for its leader can bring that. It is for the good of the Empire.’

The Spaniard nodded. ‘Very well, my Lady. If you say so.’

‘Aleksandra, we must retire and prepare. You would be coronated tomorrow?’

‘I would.’

‘Very well. Then Don Pedro, Brother Mijado, come with me. We must make the proper arrangements.’

10westernise.png

This change of heart on the part of Lady Elena Rurikovich paved the way for the Czarina’s coronation. The streets of Tver are lined with colourful flags and joyful crowds, who wait partiently to see their Empress. The cathedral is decked out in its best finery. For all their barbarity, these Russians understand how to organise a spectacle, and such shall be this Imperial coronation. While widely disliked by her own nobles, Empress Aleksandra enjoys considerable popularity amongst her common people.

11westernisingeffects.png

A glorious day dawns as the triumphal procession approaches the palace and cathedral. All is prepared for the coronation. At this very moment, the Empress is in her private chamber in the cathedral, awaiting the ceremony that will enthrone her as one of the most powerful leaders the world has ever seen. As they say in this country – what could possibly go wrong?

21aleksandralookingoutwindow.gif

14reactionariesresist.png

AARbehindyou.gif

eyes.gif

aleksrunning.gif

blades.gif

great to see this back, and as inventive as ever - I presume you have found back your drawing gizmo?

I epistlise once more to you, the people of England, breaking my long fast from the table of wordsmithery. I write because these last years have been amongst the most eventful in the history of the Empire of Tver – and I, Charles Percival Huiver-Bagge, shall be the pilot of the ship of prose that guides you towards the shining beacon of knowledge.

good old Huiver ... never knowingly undersold

These have been times of great change in the Empire. It began when the Czarina decided that the one of the Empire’s neighbours, the Teutonic Order, should be brought into her sphere of influence (and the Czarina’s spheres of influence are distinctly plentiful)

I'm so glad you kept the phase 'of influence' in there - would have been a very worrying pun otherwise

And the cat is back ...

Fryegecko said:
‘I prune daily in the garden of noble idiocy, but I have only ordinary shears. To do the job properly, I would need a scythe.’

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.