• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gah! Excellent country you have there, but when will you unite east and west? That slow, northern approach will not do at all! Even if you are able to travel through your vassals, I still want to see a light-blue connection to the south. So close...

Otherwise, wonderful work, and a wonder too, reading through the larger story. Now Tver is rich, and the rulers... mad. Keep it up, I'll be following!

I must say, now that I have caught up, that Tver has grown mighty and powerful. The Golden Horde, once powerful, now lies utterly and savagely defeated. If only the previous rulers could see this; they would surely be proud. And no longer is its name skewed! Just make sure you conquer that tverrible mess in the middle of Russia, then the cartographers guild will be ecstatic with joy. Huzzah!

It's a cultural decision. Increases cultural tradition at the expense of tax income.

It also requires you to have a church in your capitol province, and the National Idea Church Attendance day, and only as Catholic or Orthodox.
Always easy to select the NI, take the decision, and then just change the NI.
It supplies a fair amount of cultural tradition each year forever, so less magistrates on culture duty.

Cracking stuff as ever.

Many rumours are circulating, my Prrrince, none of them good. Some involve loose women. Most involve goats. Few involve clothing.’

Aleksandr seems a true Rurikovich, upholding his family's proud traditions.

I get the feeling Aleksandra will not put up with the bumbling Mysterious Don Pedro for much longer. In which case she will need another adviser. Perhaps a certain half-Polish, half-Scottish veteran.

Aleksandra seems a most competent ruler, she seems to have qualities from a number of her predecessors; her father's intelligence and love of art, Konstantin II's way with members of the opposite sex, Aleksandr III's lack of respect for foolishness and Mikhael II's poise and great sense of fashion. Now if she was to adopt the most striking mannerism of Aleksandr II, a dislike of clothing, I think she could raise respect for her rule considerbly within Tver. Raise both respect and certain others things that is.

@ blsteen: She's a very intriguing woman :)

@ RGB: Oh, I don't know. All depends on your definition of glory I suppose.

@ loki100: I thought it best to reasssure people...and to point out the glaring lack of innuendo in his absence

@ Omen: Not this time...

@ Extreme Unction, Ramidel and Concrete: Indeed. Most people take it earlier, when it's alot cheaper (this cost me about 300 ducats!) but I needed the NI slots for other things, and I don't belieev in taking an NI only to swap it two minutes later. Besides, I think CAD on its own is underrated :)

@ horny_dog34: I'll try, though the Magyars and Ottos might have soemthing to say about it

@ MrQwerty: I'm trying to tidy things up, believe me. It's all these rogue states! Why won't they just do what I want them to?

@ Shynka: Thank you :) And yes, map tidying is firmly on the agenda. Hopefully I'll get the Annex Vassal mission at some point for a Core on Muscowy (no doubt on their other province, not on Moskva herself :()

@ morningSIDEr: In the absence of a Dobczyński, I'm glad that you're keeping up the standard of innuendo. And other things.

@ All: New update. I can only apologise for the recent quality of artwork, I'm having issues drawing Aleksandra, and the new characters are proving equally difficult. It's also not the most exciting of updates...

Last edited:
Episode XXXII: My Tver Lady

01newteam.png

Aleksandra Rurikovich, Prince of Tver and Murom, was generally content. Her wedding to the Prince of Nizhny Novgorod – and associated nocturnal recreations – duly concluded, she was able to return her attentions to the business of state. Sadly, events in the council chamber never ran as effortlessly as they did in her own.

Her group of confidantes had expanded in recent months, though not as she would have liked. The first was Lady Elena Rurikovich, Duchess of Tula. Aleksandra’s cousin, she trusted the younger woman like a sister. That is to say, not at all. A widow like Aleksandra, Elena was lean and hungry-looking with an icy stare. If Lady Elena looked at something, it stayed looked at. Powerful, well-connected, and next in line to the throne after Prince Aleksandr, Aleksandra had looked to keep her at a distance. However, she had been thrust upon Aleksandra by her useless parliamentarians. It was better seen for a woman to have a woman advisor, apparently, and Aleksandra could not get rid of her without losing the support that she had amongst the nobility. Her cat, Montague, accompanied her everywhere, and seemed to act as either a familiar or as a second head, depending on whether it was draped over her shoulder or around her feet.

The other newcomer was a hooded clergyman, introduced by Mysterious Don Pedro as Brother Mijado. She didn’t like him much either. Another Spaniard, tall and completely mute (though, going by his compatriot, this was probably a blessing), he hovered around the edges of their councils like a incarnation of scornful sarcasm. Personal chaplain and confidante of Don Pedro, Aleksandra was unsure as to where the man had unearthed this particular creature, but she dearly hoped that he had kept the receipt. She suspected that Mijado’s purpose, far from spiritual, was to intimidate her, to make her more malleable to Don Pedro’s suggestions.

Aleksandra had hoped that her son, Aleksandr, would be present at more of their meetings, but she had not seen him for some hours. A smell of burning had permeated the second floor of the palace all morning, but the young Crown Prince had waved away her concerns, explaining that he was, once again, ‘doing science.’ He would likely not be seen for some time yet.

Mijado, at least, seemed to keep an air of neutrality, for all his presence unnerved her. The other two, though, seemed to have formed some sort of alliance, with the intention of frustrating her aims.

‘I understand, Lady Elena, the need for us to expand our territory even further. But not Ufa.’

‘Why not? We already hold part of the region.’

1conquernthufa.png

‘North Ufa is being colonised by the Siberians.’

‘And? Are your armies so weak that they cannot handle a few bandits?’

‘The bandits themselves are not the problem, Lady Elena. But they happen to be allied with the Ottomans.’

‘Hmm. Very well. Don Pedro?’

The Spaniard smiled an oily smile. ‘My Prrrrince, I bring you great news. Your armies have defeated the Steppe Hordes in Samara and are driving them out of the eastern territories.’

2bitwasamarawinvghandkaz.png

Aleksandra nodded. ‘Good. And I note greatly increased tax income from the Yaroslavl region.’

3newcoresvologdayaroslavl.png

Lady Elena smiled. ‘My brother Yurij is Duke of Yaroslavl, my Prince. I am sure that he would be grateful for your favour.’

‘He has done what I expect of him, nothing more.’

The lady sniffed, a movement imitated by the black feline on her shoulder in perfect synchronicity.

‘He is loyal to you, my Prince, as we all are. Don’t like his wife, though. Ugly Belarusian thing. Filthy language. Filthy food. We should wipe them out if we get the chance.’

4belorussianunacceptable.png

‘I do not think, Lady Elena, that the Belarusians are our greatest problem.’

‘If I may interject, my Prrrrince...’

‘Only if it is to draw a pair of daggers and drive one into each of your lungs’, the Prince of Tver did not say. ‘What, Don Pedro?’

‘The Belarrrrrusians are indeed strange, rebellious beasts with ideas of independence. We should be carrrreful that they are not up to mischief. Their eyes are close together. This makes them shifty.’

Elena nodded (as did Montague). ‘It is proven by science.’

‘When I get the chance I will arrange for them to have their eyes replaced in less shifty arrangements. Until then, I wish you to oversee the integration of Bolgar into our realm. And that was a royal ‘our’, not a first person plural.’

5bolgardefects.png

Elena smiled. ‘Certainly, my Prince. Anyway, as I said, the obvious move for Tver is to expand further into Ufa. We are hugely popular in that region and it is ripe for further expansion.’

‘Really?’

6biguprisinginufa.png

‘Well, ah. Ha.’ Elena faltered, then recovered her smile. ‘Yes! I hear that thousands of farmers take to the streets to welcome our glorious armies!’

‘Farmers?’

‘Yes! Must be farmers! Waving agricultural tools. In celebration. Of our agrarian culture.’

7ufaretaken.png

‘And the casualties?’

‘Well, they’re peasants. Not careful enough with their tools. But enthusiastic! Montague likes enthusiastic peasants, don’t you montywonty?’

Aleksandra smiled a bloodless, toothy smile. Elena was a pain the tail. Never her favourite And while Don Pedro had been useful in gaining the crown, but now he was becoming a liability.

‘Then we shall reward their enthusiasm by shifting our National Focus. Show them that they are as valued in the Tverian Princedom as their western brethren.’

Don Pedro looked surprised. Elena looked shocked. Montague looked confused. Brother Mijado, hovering in the corner, just looked devious.

8NatFoctoUralsk.png

‘To the east, my Prrrince?’ enquired Don Pedro.

‘To those savages and Tartars and heathens?’ Elena’s nose arched (barely worthy of note, as the appendage was be-arched over fifty percent of the time, but this was a more pronounced archement).

‘Yes. A full programme of cultural events and festivals. Show them the benefits of being part of the Principality. It will enrich the region...and should stifle some of their more rebellious tendencies while we educate them in how to be good Tverian citizens.’

Don Pedro and Elena looked at each other uneasily.

‘Good! Glad that’s settled. Now. I see increased tax revenue from Vladimir and the surrounding region as well.’

9coredvladimir.png

Don Pedro recovered himself.

‘Yes, my Prrrince. High tax income and improved profit margins from iron mines.’

‘Wonderful. And Elena?’

Elena looked up. ‘Yes, my Prince?’

‘Your daughter, Ekaterina, i sold enough to marry, is she not?’

‘She is, yes. I was thinking of a rich Hungarian nobleman.’

‘I’m sure you were. I was thinking of the Crown Prince of Georgia. And you know what the amusing thing is?’

‘What is that, my Prince?’

‘I am the Prince.And you are not. Off to Georgia with her.’

10RMwithGeorgia.png

‘Why does she have to go to Georgia? Come, Aleksandra, she’s my daughter. I know what is best for her.’

‘And I know what is best for Tver, Elena. Georgia could prove a useful ally. And I’m sure the Prince is lovely under the moustache.’

Elena glared at her cousin, in perfect synchronicity with Montague.

‘Splendid.’ Aleksandra leaned back in her chair. ‘Now then. We have made public our claims to Saratow. It is time to make good on these claims.’

‘I will see to tchem personally, my Prrrince.’ Simpered Don Pedro.

‘No you will not. Aleksandr will oversee the colonisation efforts.’

Mysterious Don Pedro was taken aback. ‘Why, my Prrrince?’

‘It is time that Aleksandr took on more duties. He is as ready as he will ever be. And with him, at least, I expect a minimum level of competence.’

11colonisingsaratow.png

Don Pedro gritted his teeth, not allowing his smile to falter. ‘As you say, my Prrrince. And you were saying yesterday that you were hoping to further centrrrralise our administrrrative strrrructures?’

Aleksandra nodded. ‘I am, yes.’

‘Perhaps, then, a humble serrrvant such as myself should try and gather suport amongst the nobility. It is a delicate matter.’

Elena nodded. ‘he would be a good choice, Aleksandra. Not eberyone will be happy aboput the move, but I’m sure that Don Pedro can gather enough suport for the move that it won’t cause any unfortunate incidents.’

Aleksandra sighed. She had to give them soemthing to do. ‘Very well. So be it. No trouble, remember?’

‘Oh, my Prrrince…’ Don Pedro’s eyes widened innocently ‘would I ever cause you any trouble?’

12countrydestabilised.png

Some months later, Aleksandra announced another bold move. Georgia was threatened by the Ottoman Empire, their government weak, and their king lacking an heir. The country would be better off under the protection of the Principality of Tver – and the best way to cement such an arrangement would be a personal union between the two nations. Their dynastic ties – new as they were – made sucha n arrangement the most obvious solution to Georgia’s troubles.

13claimthronegeorgia.png

Aleksandra would brook no military action against the Georgians: such a union would take place only if the king should fail to provide the country with a legitimate heir.

There was good news for Aleksandra some weeks later, when another powerful Kazakh force was crushed in Ufa, the Steppe Nomads retreating into the east, leaving their ill-gotten Russian territories open to tverian acquisition.

14kazcrushedinufa.png

Don Pedro nodded with satisfaction. ‘Yes, my Prrrince. More than ever, you are the undisputed mistress of Russia.’

‘Of Russia, yes. Consolidating our control of the nomads’ territories will take time, but it is now a matter of when, not if.’ Aleksandra raised her hand to her chin, thinking. ‘There is, though, more work to be done.’

Elena raised an aristocratic eyebrow. ‘What sort of work?’

‘The Crimean. The Hungarian heretics have taken control of the area to the south of our Ukrainian holdings. The peoples of that region would be much better off under our control – and Tver would be all the greater for their acquisition.’

Don Pedro and Elena looked worried.

‘But…the Hungarians, my Prrrince? They are strong.’

‘No stronger than we. Hungary is central European. They have no business in that region. We, on the other hand, are the inheritors of all of Russia. It is time to make a claim on that region, allowing us to acquire the entire Crimean. The same goes for any country who interferes in our sphere of influence.’

15claimsonrivals.png

Don Pedro shrugged. ‘Well, if you wish, my Prrrince. In that case, an opporrrrtunity has appeared.’

16crimeaappears.png

Aleksandra shook her head. ‘At some point, Don Pedro, you will engage your brain before your tongue.’

‘My Prrrrince?’

‘Did you notice how they came into existence?’

17ottosdemoliseGEO.png

Elena winced. ‘Unfortunate.’

‘Very unfortunate. Georgia is in ruins, and Crimea will be allied with the Ottomans. We can’t touch them.’

‘And what about my daughter?’

Aleksandra waved her hand dismissively. ‘She’ll be fine. Some of the Turks are lovely, I hear. Worse, even if we should obtain the throne of Georgia, it’s barely worth having if they don’t recover their territories.’

Don Pedro nodded. ‘Unfortunately so.’

‘We must make ready, then. It will take a long time to grow our forces to rival those of the Ottomans – we will need allies, and to remove the Hungarians from the equation first.’ Aleksandra thought for a second. ‘We will need to fill our coffers. Brother Mijado?’

The robed clergyman raised his head slightly.

‘Introduce a small charity levy for all church attendance. Most will go towards helping the poor...and the rest will go towards liberating the even poorer. Those poor enough to not live under Tverian law.’

18churchtaxes.png

Mijado inclined his head. Don Pedro exchanged another worried glance with Elena. This would not end well.

Elena turned to her cousin. ‘Aleksandra. Dear Aleksandra. Is this a good idea? Are the nobility not taxed quite enough already?’

‘The nobility live in luxury while our brethren are oppressed by the Magyar and the Turk. They will survive – and their patriotic contributions will be remembered.’

‘As will the theft of their money.’

‘Of whose money, Elena?’ Aleksandra pointed to the gold circlet around her brow as a hint.

Elena sighed. ‘Your money, of course, my dear Prince.'

'Much better. And as for their displeasure, well. Nothing that a few staircases can't solve. The richer they are, the higher their staircases, as they say.'

'I have a very nice staircase, Aleksandra.'

'Then co-operate, Elena, and you won't have to worry about falling down it.' The Prince of Tver's eyes flickered. 'Twice.'

Last edited:
well among much of true genius, this did stand out:

Elena was lean and hungry-looking with an icy stare. If Lady Elena looked at something, it stayed looked at

seems you are channeling PG Wodehouse at his best (ie when describing a herd of aunts)

Ufa does now seem well fertilised so maybe worth taking on after all?

and the threat by staircase is indeed rather disturbing

That staircase is looking a little flabby. It needs a good workout. There are many people (all of them) around the Prince who should start helping the poor staircase out.

I knew the Hungarians were up to no good. And the Ottomans, too. Never a good thing when your future expansion plans are being blocked by recalcitrant furniture.

Poor Belarussians!

Hmmm... the introduction of another Rurikovich and the absence of Alexandr (along with his 'scientific' interests, which often tend to end in explosions) do not bode well for our current heir to the throne...

Aleksandra has certainly gathered a rather strange group of advisers to her side and thankfully she's taking their advice into consideration before ignoring it whenever possible. Good that Tverification of the steppes continues nicely, bad that the Ottomans and Hungarians are proving something of a worry at present.

Evening all

Just checking in to say that I don't know how long the next update will take. I'm in the process of moving flats at the moment (Malurous got a Boundary Dispute on my current one so I thought I'd better move before he annexes me), so it may take a little while. Also, events in-game conspired to complicate my planned narrative...

Anyway, just to explain the potential gap. Don't panic.

I'm in the process of moving flats at the moment (Malurous got a Boundary Dispute on my current one so I thought I'd better move before he annexes me), so it may take a little while.

Just consider yourself lucky that I'm such a nice guy, I mean all this time you've been living in a flat that's rightfully mine and I'm not even asking you to pay as long as you get the heck out of there! :D

Thank you for the link. :) I haven't commented here (I typically don't unless I'm fully caught up, which isn't the case here yet) but it's a terrific AAR. A well played game with such a challenging nation, great humor and style, and of course the illustrations simply rock. Notably, you're responsible for some of the best death scenes around. ;)

Morning all,

First of all, the AARland Choice AwAARds are coming up, and it would be awesome if people who haven't put a vote in could...well, put a vote in. For someone. Not necessarily me. See? No self-promotion there at all. And my lack of self-promotion will make people vote for me.

Psychology :huh:

Anyway. Move has started, but I won't be back to full operational capacity for some weeks. Next post is started, though. So it will happen :)

@ loki100: Yes, Ufa is probably the best farmland in the Principality now. Would be interesting if you got a Base Tax increase in Grain provinces after a certain amount of casualties in them.

@ blsteen: Staircases are gits...and I'm moving into a top-floor flat :eek:

@ Omen: Oh, I'm sure they well. Blood is an excellent cleaning liquid. Sort of.

@ RGB: Nobody said it was easy being Belarussian. They knew what they were signing up for when they were born. (It's fine, I'll play as Polotsk as penitence at some point)

@ Memento Mori: All I'm saying is that I added a few female names to the ruler list...

@ morningSIDEr: Indeed. I'm caught between two pretty strong enemies. Hopefully the Ostriches will fight the Ottomans again, allowing me to pounce on them in heroic fashion.

@ MrQwerty: I bloody can, they've got a bigger army than me :( That will hopefully change soon though.

@ Malurous: Thanks mate (both for the compliment and the stay of execution). Means a lot coming from one of my favourite WritAARs :)

Episode XXXIII: The Head That Tvers A Crown

These were complicated times in the Principality of Tver. Changes were afoot, radical changes of the type unheard of in centuries. Optimism walked hand-in-hand with paranoia. Rumour spread mischief through the cities like a child placing ball-bearings under the feet of people carrying heavy shopping.

The failure of the efforts to colonise Pensa were seen by some of a conservative bent as a harbinger of danger. What great changes could be undertaken when something so simple could not be organised?

1Pensacolonisefail.png

The herald of these changes, though, pointed out that the failure was not due to divine intervention, but the incompetence of the persons left in charge of such projects. The second attempt to enhance the colony, overseen personally by the Prince, met with far greater success.

2pensacolonisesuccess.png

This was a pattern that had become increasingly obvious to Aleksandra Rurikovich, Prince of Tver, over the last few years since she had inherited the crown from her late brother. The more people she had to deal with, the more difficult it was for her to run her nation. The nobility seemed to enjoy undermining her every move, especially her cousin, Elena Rurikovich, whose eyes – along with those of her cat-familiar – seemed to glitter at every difficulty encountered by Aleksandra.

3merchantscomplain.png

Aleksandra, however, was as astute. While her noble rivals saw the complaints of Tver’s merchant guilds as evidence of her weakness, and the lack of respect she commanded amongst the ‘lower classes’, she saw only an opportunity. Times were changing, after all, and trade and commerce were an important part of Tver’s economy. Instead of dismissing the complaints of Tver’s merchants, she allowed them to select, from amongst their number, representatives to the parliament. This move horrified traditionalists in the House – chosen people? Democracy? Such a move would strike at the very foundations of society! Freethinking! Options! Dangerous ideas, they said, but what other kinds are there?

The Prince of Tver’s popularity amongst the mercantile class was boosted significantly, at the expanse of what little support she enjoyed amongst the nobility. Not only was she unqualified, they said, but clearly incompetent. Dangerously incompetent. The passage of reform and legislation moved from difficult to impossible. The Tverian Parliament descended into gridlock, the Pro- and Anti-Alexandrine factions cancelling out each other’s support.

With the Hungarians encroaching on the western border, and the heathen Turks to the south, this was the worst possible time for indecision. Dozens of nobles were shouting at once, pointing fingers and shaking fists. The speaker had been attempting to keep order, but had given up, his efforts having proven as effective as a chocolate fireguard. Parliamentary chaos was nothing new for Tver, and such debate had been tolerable in a small state. But now, Tver was the largest realm in Christendom. Every province, almost every town, sent a noble representative to the parliament – a parliamentary impasse that once lasted half an hour would now drag on into days. Aleksandra looked around the chamber, and saw only self-interested obstacles looking to feather their nests and fatten their bellies.

She turned to her advisors. Mysterious Don Pedro had a looked of relaxed resignation on his face. Elena looked overjoyed, watching as her cousin’s position was weakened. She looked at Brother Mijado. His eyes drifted to meet hers. He shook his head.

A hush fell over the debating chamber as Prince Aleksandra rose to her feet. Her gaze passed over every member of the Tverian parliament.

‘My Lords. I thank you for your honest efforts, and your services to myself and to the crown of Tver. My predecessors have always considered this most ancient parliament essential to the running of this great nation.’

Her green eyes flashed.

‘Well. They were brilliant, not infallible.’

Glances were exchanged amongst the pampered nobility of Tver.

Duke Telyatevsky of Yaroslavl was the first to speak.

‘My Prince?’

Aleksandra smiled. ‘My Duke of Yaroslavl! A model parliamentarian, my lords.’ The eyes narrowed. ‘Model, in that he appears to be what he should be. An impersonation. A facade.’

The Duke was shocked. ‘My Prince! I resent this insult!’

‘Consider it constructive criticism, Yaroslavl. Not just of yourself. But of all of you. Or almost all of you, at least.’ Aleksandra stepped down from the raised dais upon which her chair – gilded, but not truly a throne – stood, and began to pace the chamber floor, her gaze locking onto each of her parliamentarians in turn.

‘You, you men and women of this country, are full of words. Threats, and demands, simpering sycophancy and poisonous venom. Now, I too believe in the power of words. Of promises. Of vows. Captain Śugorsky!’

Śugorsky, Captain of the guard, stiffened. He also stood to attention.

‘My Prince!’

‘What is the motto of this nation, laid down by my might forefather Prince Mikhael the Second?’

‘”What Can Possibly Go Wrong”, my Prince!’

‘A common mistake, Captain. That is the motto of the Order of the Bear, also displayed on our coat of arms alongside the national motto. ‘

‘I am sorry, my prince.’

‘Accepted. Then what is the nation’s motto.’

‘The motto is “More Quality, Less Morons”, my prince!’

‘Thank you, Captain.’ Aleksandra turned back to the chamber floor. ‘“ More Quality, Less Morons”. When he spoke so, my Lords, he was not only talking of army officers and merchants. He also mean...you

Gasps of horror spread through he benches. Mysterious Don Pedro stared, wide-eyed. Elena was on her feet, teeth bared.

‘Yes, my lords. I will brook no more incompetence, no more obfuscation and wasting of time. His is thwe mightiest realm on God’s earth, and I intend to keep it that way for all who follow in my footsteps, and for all the people of this nation. I cannot do that when my every move is stifled and delayed by self-interest and self-righteousness from a legion of idiots!’

‘My prince, you go too far!’

‘On the contrary, Elena!’ Aleksandra grinned. ‘I have not gone far enough. But I shall, do not worry!’

‘My Prrrince, you would destabilise the entire Prrrincipality?’ wheedled Don Pedro.

‘The Principality?’ Aleksandra shook her head. ‘You do not understand, do you Don Pedro? None of you do. We are entering a new age. We are no longer a second-rate dukedom in provincial Russia. We are the mightiest realm in eatern Europe, a bastion against the heretics of the west and heathens of the east. That old country is gone and so too must its ways and institutions!’

Elena stepped onto the dais. ‘ This is madness, Aleksandra! You are insane! You are no longer fit to wear our crown!’

‘Oh, I agree, Elena. I could hardly agree more. This realm has outgrown its simple circlet of gold, its regional title, its backward ways. No more shall I wear the crown of the Principality...’ She raised her head and spread her arms as if to embrace the parliament chamber.

‘...but of the Empire.’

4adoptimpadmin.png

5adoptadminmoredetail.png

7aleksandraczarina.png