• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ Omen: As always with EUIII's succession system, nothing is certain...

@ blsteen: It's for the own good. We give them art! What more could they possibly want? Freedom? Overrated.

@ RGB: I'm sure there are some lions in Hungary. Very hungry Hungarian lions. If I fight them I'll have to raid Pressburg Zoo while I'm at it.

@ loki100: Experience has taught them to delegate the whole cannon-firing thing to people with less titles (and some knowledge of how they actually work). So far. Still got two hundred and fifty years of this to go, though...

@ morningSIDEr: Exactly. What would they need armies for? Waste of money that could be spent on ART. A shiny country is a happy country.

@ Extreme Unction: Indeed, though none of them have flipped yet and I wish they'd hurry up. Should have had one by now, curse you, law of averages!

@ GoldenKhan: I had to look it up to get what you meant...he probably has the Renaissance equivalent at least. And several books on tiger care :)

@ All: I'll do me bestest to get the current update finished today. It's screenshotted but I'm having issues with the rest of it...we shall see. Shouldn't be a problem, though...not like there are any distractions just about to appear.

nodistractions.png

Well, I hope the new distraction won't have massive effects on the publication times...

Well, it's not as if a Cerberus is keeping him from updating...

Hah I'd guess over half the forum (myself included) have had sudden drops in AAR writing due to these massive effects. :rofl: Loving the recent updates, hopefully we'll continue to see more feline awesomeness!

Episode XXVIII: Ars GraTvera Artis

It had been a long day for Seamus Arkadius Dobczyński, right-hand man to Mikhael III Rurikovich, Prince of Tver, Ryazan and Murom, Regent of Muscowy.

The day, though, had been a great one.

1bitwauralskawin.png

The Nogai had been defeated once again, their armies removed from the principality’s territory with fire and sword. Prince Mikhael had congratulated him on this latest victory. A great statue of Dobczyński was to be built in the main square of Tver, along with those of other mighty warriors.

The rise of Tver, though, had brought the Principality to the attention of other mighty nations. The Sultan in Istanbul looked upon the growing Russian state greedily, and sought an excuse to fight the Tverians.

2warnedbyottos.png

Prince Mikhael’s response was, as usual, artistic: the statue’s similarity to the Sultan was striking. The activity in which the statue was engaged was rather anatomically challenging, and illegal in most countries with even vaguely developed animal rights laws, but it got the message across.

The Tverian army was assembled at the southern border, and war was declared on the small state of Zaporozhia. The Cossacks had to be removed from the map, and fast, lest the Guild of Cartographers go on strike.

3attackzapincherkassk.png

The result was never in doubt. While Zaporozhia had her theoretical allies, most were in unmapped parts of Asia, far too far away to stave off Tver’s acquisition of their territory.

4bitwacherkasskwin.png

The Kazakh Horde, though, was proving more problematic. One of their forces managed to force the Tverian eastern army into retreat, losing control of the Ufa province in the process.

5bitwaufalost.png

Meanwhile, the colonisation of the Golden Horde continued, with Bogutjar the latest target.

6colonisingbogutjar.png

With Cherkassk taken, the leaders of Zaporozhia surrendered unconditionally, and the province was brought under Tver’s administration.

7zapannexed.png

Prince Mikhael had a plan. His son, Archbishop Konstantin, was proving more troublesome than ever. Here was an excuse to get the young man out from under his feet. He appointed him Bishop-Duke of Cherkassk, with responsibility for overseeing the Tverification of the former Tartar province, and its conversion to the true faith.

Dobczyński was unsure as to the wisdom of this plan. Konstantin was heir to the throne with many powerful friends in Tver’s government. Mikhael waved away his objections.

‘Some time in the provinces will do him good, Dobczyński! Get him some outside experience. I can’t make an artist of him, so I will inflict his dogmatism on someone else.’

‘You disapprove of his piety, sir?’

Mikhael sighed. ‘No, Dobczyński. Not his piety. But he does not appreciate beauty. He has no time for the aesthetic, the sublime. This is as much a part of Christianity, Dobczyński, as his hellfire and brimstone! Religion should inspire, not condemn! Maybe some time spent amongst the heathen will change him.’

Dobczyński was unsure that it would work, but the young Prince was surprisingly agreeable to the idea, and set off within the week.

Five months later, a rider came to Tver from the Bishop-Duke. While the majority of the population were, as yet, unconverted to Christianity, he had managed to at least establish order – and he believed that Mikhael would approve of his changes to the city’s decorations.. He had thought upon his father’s words, and decided to try sponsoring local artists, to try and beautify the town centre, with some success. Would Mikhael come to visit?

Mikhael agreed. He found it hard to believe that his son had suddenly become a patron of the arts, but he had to entertain the possibility. He was not a bad young man, after all, merely...misguided. Perhaps the provinces had opened his mind. Mikhael, along with Dobczyński and his personal guard, made the road trip south to Cherkassk province.

The Bishop-Duke greeted his father in the town square, and bade him come with him to the newest work of art, one that he was sure his father would approve of.

Mikhael nodded.

‘Dobczyński, you and the guard will remain here.’

Dobczyński frowned.

‘Are you sure, sir?’

‘I wish to spend some time with my son. The province is under control, is it not Konsatntin?’

Konstantin nodded eagerly.

‘Yes, father. Absolutely! Completely under my control.’

‘You see, Dobczyński? What could possibly go wrong?’ He turned to Konstantin. ‘Show me what you have been patronising. This sounds interesting.’

Konstantin took his father to the north side of the great town square.

‘I chose the north side, father, so that it pointed towards Tver.’

8tojestpomnik.png

Mikhael was impressed.

‘A fine piece of work, son! A local artist?’

‘No, father. Most of the work here is...’ He gestured around the square, which was full of new statues, a couple of fountains, a half-completed new town hall ‘but I remembered what you said about the Italian sculptor Bartollini. I convinced him to execute this one for you.’

‘I thought I recognised the quality.’ Mikhael smiled. ‘Well done, son.’

‘I am glad that you approve, father. If you had not liked it, I would have been...’

9pullthechord.png

10standremoved.png

‘... crushed.’

11falling.png

12mikuhoh.png

13helpme.png

14grinning.png

15whack.png

19newkingkoniii.png

koniiinewport.png

Last edited:
Poor Mikhail! Oh well, at least he would have approved of his gravestone. In fact, he did aprove, albeit without knowing about it's purpose...

... and as a student of Machiavelli, he surely understands Konstantin's motives, as people prefer the death of their father over the loss of their patrimony. Or wating too long to gain it.

Edit: Konstantin has a mouth?! And teeth??? And I thought all Rurikovichs and Dobczyńskis are missing this body part... at least previous iconography lead me to believe that :wacko:

Last edited:
You really like writing deaths, don't you Fyregecko? :p

Not sure if I've commented here before, so I'll take the time to sayn this as well: great AAR :D

Konstantin showed a bit more subtlety in arranging for his father's demise than his past actions would have led anyone to suspect.

and, as for the Sultan statue, the only hope is that in the far distant future its seen as an early example of Tverian abstract and impressionist sculpture (at least it made an impression on me)

Lesson learned: NEVER leave your tiger behind.

THIS (although personally I already have 4 cats and my partner has started feeding a stray...)

Prince Mikhael had a plan. His son, Archbishop Konstantin, was proving more troublesome than ever. Here was an excuse to get the young man out from under his feet. He appointed him Bishop-Duke of Cherkassk, with responsibility for overseeing the Tverification of the former Tartar province, and its conversion to the true faith.

Dobczyński was unsure as to the wisdom of this plan.

It was here that I realized we were about to have another royal death... :D

A massively effective update, great stuff as ever especially the artwork which continues to amaze me.

Prince Mikhael’s response was, as usual, artistic: the statue’s similarity to the Sultan was striking. The activity in which the statue was engaged was rather anatomically challenging, and illegal in most countries with even vaguely developed animal rights laws, but it got the message across

Unsurprisingly a hugely tactful response from the refined Mikhael, he is a true gentleman.

Good to see more land won for Tver, such land badly needing Tverification. Sad though the news of Mikhael passing, especially as the unveiling of various statue in Cherkassk seemed to be crushingly successful. It is now clear that when it comes to art never buy Italian, instead always go for Tverian.

Thus now Konstantin takes the throne, I merely hope he too has a love of tigers.

Evening all. Give me another couple of days for the next part. It's played and screenshotted, I'm just...well, y'know. Distracted. The multiplayer is pretty damn awesome. But so are you good folk, for suffering my nonsense :)

@ GoldenKhan: Greatly, I assure you. Konstantin is not a quiet man...

@ Omen: Absolutely! Never go anywhere without one. Even the shwoer. Actually, especially the shower - a clean tiger who can save you from drowning.

@ Memento Mori: Mouths are reserved for special occasions, usually evil grinning (see Prince Aleksander's attempt to 'hug' Kon II with a sabre)

@ generalolaf: Thank you :) And yes. Yes I do :ninja: It's one of the first things I settle on for each new monarch!

@ loki100: And so it should! Sadly, I fear it was lost during the collapse of the Ottoman empire. Hopefully it will be excavated one day from under an office block in Istanbul (not Constantinople).

@ PrawnStar: You can never have too many :) Bastards that they can be.

@ Extreme Unction and blsteen: Am I that predictable? :D I don't usually know what's going to happen more than one or two updates ahead, so it's not a deliberate pattern. But yes, it has happened twice now. Kon III should be careful...

@ DeadeyeDave: Naturally. How else does one crush the Turk? :) It will be a favour. Tver > Turk.

@ morningSIDEr: Thanks mate (insert reciprocal comment about bribes here). And I'll miss Mikhael, I hoped that he'd hang around a bit longer than he did (that, and no bloody Boundary Disputes! I've had one in 140 years!) And yes, Tverian art (especially early 16th century) is the finest of the fine. Accept no substitute!

@ mathl33t: I wouldn't say no to an Inheritance, but I'm glad you enjoy them :) Thanks.