• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
laugh.gif

What he said +1... :rofl:

His name was Aleksandr? Had his name been Vladimir he'd have impaled Konstantin not been impaled himself. Undone by a childs toy. Now Konstantin has to make himself a real heir.

Great use of pictures.

Best update yet, no need for words at all!

Now to secure the inheritance. I'm sure Konstantin would have no problem with that. Nudge nudge wink wink say no more.

And now for a bit of pedantry regarding salt: these were the towns that were founded basically for extracting salt from brine pools:

Staraya Russa, Solvychegodsk (aka Usolye, Komi region), Solikamsk (still a major salt mining center), as well as Soligalich (Sol-Galitskaya, in Galich-Merskiy land; Galich itself could be a salt or a grain centre). There's also Usolye on the Samara bend, and another Usolye in Perm land (across the river from today's Berezniki), and there's of course Usolye-Sibirskoye right by Irkutsk, but the last three were all founded in the 17th c. century, and Sol-Iletsk in Orenburg oblast in the 18th c.

I do tend to mod some salt in, it was pretty key to the entire economy of the Russian North. Certainly anything along the Vym or Vychegda is potentially a salt centre and would have been exploited starting in the 16th c.

Last edited:
Did you say you needed chapter titles?

I'd suggest, that when Konstantin finally succumbs to his brother's wiles, you name the chapter 'Once and FuTvure King.' Other possible titles could include 'We need to talk about Tver,' 'MasTver and Margarita' (a famous Russian book), 'BroTvers Karamazov,' 'Tvar and Peace' etc...

That was stupendously stupendous! It seems as if Konstantin is on something of a roll (less of a roll than Aleksandr of course).

Thank you all for your comments. Too kind, as always. That doesn't mean stop making them, though. I'll survive... :ninja:

@ Concrete: Almost certainly. Unfortunately, though, it looks like 'He Was Not Discovered' :(

@ blitzkerig: I was a bit disappointed that he copped it so early. I had sort of hoped he would meet some kind of grisly end while trying to get rid of his brother, but could have been more fun if he'd hung around a bit longer.

Oh well. I'm sure another...assertive Rurikovich heir will be along soon.

@ RGB: In your honour, Solikamsk is now a Salt province :cool: The merchants of Novgorod will thank you, I'm sure.

@ Shirohi: Thank you, some nice ones :) And a public thanks to all who have PMed me ideas. Any more, feel free to send them to me. :)

@ morningSIDEr: A comment incomplete without the CSI: Miami sunglasses reference?

@ All: Next part done and screenshotted - actually, it has been for a week, the last update took me ages. Either today or tomorrow :)

Episode XIX: Tverst Among Equals

The tragic death of his younger brother was a serious blow to Konstantin II, Prince of Tver. He blamed himself: if only he had not been foolishly carrying his great-grandfather’s rollerskate as Aleksandr had run towards him intending to deliver a foolhardy but well-intentioned brotherly hug while holding a sabre, none of this would have happened. He refused to listen to Dobczyński’s nonsense talk of a blatant assassination attempt. So Aleksandr had not put his sword down – why would he? What was a lethal blade and potentially fatal accident between friends? His younger brother had always been enthusiastic, rebellious, disdained mollycoddling nonsense such as personal security. And now he was gone.

‘There is a lesson here, Dobczyński. A lesson for us all.’

Seamus Arkadiusz Dobczyński nodded his agreement with great enthusiasm.

‘There certainly is, sir. But life must go on. And, besides, it was good combat experience for the pikemen.’

‘He shall be forever remembered as Aleksandr...the virtuous.’

‘Not the hedgehog?’

‘Don’t push me, Dobczyński. I’m close to the edge.’

‘Much as your brother...’ He coughed. ‘What was I saying? Yes. Your brother’s investiture as Heir to the Throne is this afternoon, sir.’

‘Never liked him.’

‘I know, sir. But he’s popular. And capable. And, most importantly under the current constitutional setup, your brother’

1mikhailheir.png

‘I don’t care about his abilities. Me and Aleksandr agreed, he has been after us from the day he was born.’

‘And you would be an expert on who was an wasn’t trying to kill you.’

‘Certainly, Dobczyński! I don’t feel safe anymore. Aleksandr was always there to protect me from Mikhael.’

‘I expect that he was always protecting your back, sir.’

‘Indeed.’

‘With a very large sword.’

‘Or poisons. The occasional anvil. But always vigilant. Always got me to test the defences he had created for me! So considerate, was Aleks...’

‘A loss to the world of private security, sir. Better news, though.’

‘What’s that?’

‘The Duke of Olonets’ wife greatly enjoyed the dinner last week. And the evening. And the night.’

2aristosgrateful.png

‘I don’t do it for the money, Dobczyński.’

‘Certainly, not sir! But it doesn’t hurt. Except when thrown at you, I suppose.’

‘True. What else is happening.’

‘Nothing, apart from war with the Golden Horde.’

‘Again? Why didn’t you tell me?’

‘You were grieving, sir.’

‘Oh. Yes. How are we doing?’

‘A strong start, sir.’

3attacksolikamsktokazan.png

‘I ordered troops from our eastern territories into Kazan. If we can wrest Kazan from the Horde, sir, it will reduce our problems of overextension, providing a shorter route from our heartland to Solikamsk and beyond.’

‘Good thinking. How is it going.’

‘Very well, sir.’

4kazantaken.png

‘Excellent. Summon Vladimirov! Time for colonies!’

‘He’s on holiday, sir. I can arrange it if you want.’

‘You? You’re not a banker! Or an accountant!’

‘Exactly, sir.’

5kazancolonist.png

‘Oh. Well. As soon as he is back, he replaces you. He is my financial advisor, Dobczyński, not you!’

‘Very well, sir. We have also taken control of Vetluga.’

6vetlugataken.png

‘Excellent. See? I always admired you Poles, Dobczyński. Such competent, agreeable people. You don’t go trying to start arguments in times of trouble.’

7POLrefbranches.png

‘More heresy, Dobczyński.’

‘Can’t trust these Poles, sir. Heathens, the lot of them.’

‘Definitely not...ah! Mr Vladimirov! How was your holiday?’

Roman Vladimirov had just entered, looking tanned, white hat at a jaunty angle.

‘Very pleasing, sir! Was visiting old banking friend in Aragón.’

‘See anything interesting?’

‘Went to Barcelona. Not impressed. Not good place to start recreational sports team. Wrong environment.’

‘You’ll be glad to be back, then. The colonial project is all yours, Mr Vladimirov!’

‘Thank you, sir!’

8kazancolfail.png

‘Of course, in complicated enterprise there are always teething troubles.’

9kazcolfailagain.png

‘Expensive teething troubles, Mister V.’

‘Be quiet, Mongrelczyński! You know nothing of commerce and business! Go and do what you do best.’

Angry, Dobczyński headed for Tula. The king joine him days later and, together, their cocktail of masculinity and efficiency was enough to force a strong party of Horde raiders into retreat.’

10bitwatulawin.png

Seeing an opportunity, Dobczyński advised that the Tverians begin a second front. The Horde was capitulating in all directions, and there was a chance for great territorial gains. Konstantin approved, and the Principality’s second Army moved into position to lay siege to the city of Mogilyov.

11attackmogilyovsecondfront.png

Vladimirov’s colonial plans were hitting further setbacks: having promised riches and unimaginable wealth to the new people of Kazan ‘within five years’, he was being challenged to provide some imaginable wealth immediately to back up his claims. He blamed the press.

12kazcolmorefail.png

Islamic uprisings in recently-liberated territory presented further complications, distracting from the war with the Horde. Attempts to re-convert Horde-conquered regions to the true faith were, so far, meeting with little success.

13sunnizealotsvlad.png

The siege of Mogilyov was short, and town swiftly taken by the Tverians. It was unclear, though, whether the Tverians would be able to cement their control over the city, as the colonisation of Kazan was proving time-consuming and expensive. The Principality’s treasury was stretched to the limit, and inflation was slowly rising as Vladmirov’s anger caused his reddened cheeks to swell.

14mogtaken.png

On the field of battle, though, the well-drilled and well-led armies of Tver were having great success. The Horde was a shadow of its former strength, and the Second Battle of Tula wasa comprehensive victory for Dobczyński (though the history books would relegate him to a rather extreme footnote involving a lot of swearing and headbutting).

152ndbitwatulawin.png

The colonists of Kazan, meanwhile, had finally stopped listening to Vladimirov and started organising things themselves. Without his business expertise, these idiots would surely fail in their efforts and bring the country to ruin.

16kazcolsuccess.png

The people of Polotsk, as the leaders of Tver had hoped, decided that Catholicism was no longer for them. Unfortunately, they had not decided that Orthodoxy was any better.

17spreadofrefpolotsk.png

Finally, though, excellent news reached Konstantin: the Kazan region was not fully under Tverian control, securing access to Solikamsk from central Tver.

18kazdfects.png

On all fronts, the Horde was in full retreat. A difficult choice awaited the King: should he continue the current conflict? Denmark was rapidly acquiring the Balkans, territories which should, ultimately, belong to Tver. But the treasury was overstretched, and recent colonial failings made further immediate expansion financially risky.

Even more interestingly, the regions of Bryańsk and Tula had declared their independence under the banner of Ryazan: an wakward situation, since the Ryazan region was now part of Tver.

19ryazanidependent.png

Tver was in the ascendant, but short of cash. Tough decisions would have to be made about whether to continue colonising – a process which would likely take the best part of a decade – or to rest and recover, but allow the Catholic nations to make advances into their sphere of influence.

quite brilliant stuff

‘There is a lesson here, Dobczyński. A lesson for us all.’

Seamus Arkadiusz Dobczyński nodded his agreement with great enthusiasm.

‘There certainly is, sir. But life must go on. And, besides, it was good combat experience for the pikemen.’

‘He shall be forever remembered as Aleksandr...the virtuous.’

‘Not the hedgehog?’.

Looks like the bad days of the horde are over.

I'd say keep with the colonies despite the cost, ideally you need to seal off any easy advance for Poland/Lithuania/whoever eastwards, once you've done that you can maybe slow down. But it must be easier to take land from the horde now than engage in wars later on with your European rivals?

I'd say keep with the colonies despite the cost, ideally you need to seal off any easy advance for Poland/Lithuania/whoever eastwards, once you've done that you can maybe slow down. But it must be easier to take land from the horde now than engage in wars later on with your European rivals?

Yeah, I found myself in the same position when I played Novgorod. There came a point where I had to keep colonizing southward towards the Black Sea in order to keep Poland from blobbing eastward towards the Caspian.

(See that? When *I* do it, it's "colonizing". When the AI does it, it's "blobbing". Totally different. ;) )

Cut off the interlopers! The now feeble horde is yours alone!

Seriously, if you can afford it, it seems better to expand early and then wait for it to core and pay you back. Especially now that the horde has weakened.

He blamed himself: if only he had not been foolishly carrying his great-grandfather’s rollerskate as Aleksandr had run towards him intending to deliver a foolhardy but well-intentioned brotherly hug while holding a sabre, none of this would have happened.

There is so much win in this sentence that it is quite ridiculous.

‘You? You’re not a banker! Or an accountant!’

‘Exactly, sir.’

This little exchange was quite brilliant also.

Good to see Tver pushing back the Horde, making real gains at last. I'd definetly hang on and mint your way to further colonisation if possible. Or perhaps just leave colonisation to Dobczyński and give Vladimirov another role such as owner of the newly formed Heart of Tver FC? Or better yet, St. Mitverren FC?

Barcelona, terrible place for a football team. Vladimirov saved the world from a decade of hyper-competent but suffocating midfield passing. They'll never get off the ground without rich Tveritan backers, and the Tveritans seem to be spending money on nights out with the king.

Episode XX: SuperTvertheygoballisticHordearequiteatrocious

Ryazan’s declaration of independence was a cause of celebration in the Principality of Tver. As their Russian brothers cast off the brutal yoke of the Tartar, Konstantin Rurikovich saw a glorious opportunity.

‘Dobczyński!’

Seamus Arkadiusz Dobczyński, Konstantin’s long-suffering retainer, approached.

‘Sir?’

‘I have a plan.’

‘If this is about the Norwegian Ambassador’s wife, sir...’

‘No, no, another plan. Ryazan. And freedom.’

‘Is it not beautiful, sir?’

‘Very beautiful. However, complicated. Our ownership of Ryazan province itself is likely to cause trouble.’

‘True. It is rather odd to be called Ryazan when your neighbour owns Ryazan. Novgorod are in the same boat, mind you...’

‘Don’t talk about boats, Dobczyński! The tools of pirates. Stealing our money! Anyway. We can deal with two problems at once.’

‘Do continue, sir.’

‘And I thought it was only women who said that to me.’

‘I keep an open...anyway. Problems?’

‘Yes. One, the Ryazanians may cause trouble. Two, brother Mikhael wishes me dead.’

‘I really don’t think he does, sir.’

‘Rubbish! He carries a sword!’

‘So do I, sir.’ Dobczyński unsheathed his mighty blade to prove the point.

‘I trust you! I do not trust him! No, he must be got rid of. I would send for the Lord High Gizzard Slitter. I would! But now I see an alternative. A chance to get him out of the way.’

Dobczyński sighed. ‘Yes, sir?’

‘The new Prince of Ryazan has two children. One daughter, one son, but the son is a bastard. Beloved as he is, his succession will cause controversy.’

‘And?’

‘We marry Murderous Mikhael to Princess Maria. Get him out of the way. After that, we can support her claim to the throne, and make Ryazan a puppet state.’

‘That’s...actually, that’s a good idea.’

1rmwithryazan.png

‘Talking of ideas, sir, I think maybe we should give up on conquering Kexholm. Theer’s nothing there for us.’

‘Oh, maybe you’re right, Dobczyński. We must set ourselves a more sensible, beneficial objective!’

2conqueridnakar.png

This done, Dobczyński returned to the main issue: the prosecution of war against the Golden Horde. With Kazan taken, many in the Tverian parliament thought that it was time to regroup and rearm, but an influential body saw this as a ripe opportunity to further advances. The decision was made to continue the war, and try to wrest the province of Mogilyov from the Tartars before the Latin powers could take it first.

Dobczyński took charge of the colonial enterprise.

3mogcolonistsuccess.png

Roman Vladimirov was busy with important matters of state, ensuring the proper running of the Tverian government.
4poorgvtpolicies.png

Mikhael was swiftly engaged to Princess Maria. Within weeks of the service, however, a Tverian diplomat announced to the Prince of Ryazan that Konstantin saw it as his duty to enforce Maria’s claim to the throne of Ryazan. Effective immediately. With a little Tverian help.

6DOWryazan.png

Arguments over leadership were not, however, confined to Ryazan (the country, not the Tverian province). In Yaroslavl, Konstantin’s cousin Ivan Telyatevsky declared himself to be the rightful Prince of Tver, vowing to overthrow Konstantin and establish a new dynasty free from the warmongering Rurikoviches.

7pretender.png

Konstantin, though, was standing for no nonsense. He headed straight for Yaroslavl, Dobczyński at his side, and did parade most haughtily in front of the enemy force. Those rebels not cowed by his arched eyebrow were withered in their prime by his manly chest hair and medallion. Within ten minutes of the Prince of Tver’s arrival on the field, Telyatevsky himself staggered forwards, prostrated himself at Konstantin’s feet, and begged leave to retire to a nunnery and live the rest of his life as a women, knowing that he could never even vaguely match Konstantin’s manliness. It is said that Dobczyński did accept the grovelling creature’s apology, then head butt him into a frozen lake, but these sources are unreliable.

8attackingtelyatevsky.png

Returning to Tver, Konstantin smiled as the message brought by a bedraggled Tartar messenger.

10GHwanttoconcede.png

‘Where was this offer, worm, when my great-grandfather asked for peace? Or My grandfather? Or my father?’

‘It..um...’

‘Dobczyński!’

Dobczyński appeared from the next room, carrying a long pole with a metal head.

‘Sir?’

‘You had an idea for a new sport, Dobczyński. Derived from your strange Scottish customs, I gather.’

‘Yes, sir. I call it gowffe.’

‘Would you mind giving me a demonstration?’

‘Gleefully, sir. If the honoured messenger would mind bowing a little deeper...head a bit closer to the floor...about three inches from it...or maybe FOUR!’

The club swung.

Konstantin stroked his manly chin. ‘Interesting. Not sure it will ever catch on, though. Won’t replace hunting Tigers in the Woods...’

There were to be further difficulties on the home front, as the activities of Orthodox missionaries in Vladimir fuelled a Sunni backlash. Twenty thousand citizens rose up in arms against the attempt to convert the populace back to their old religion. Thankfully for the armies of Tver, though, much of their manpower was wasted in a huge assault against the town’s fortifications, which held firm. Hungry and exhausted, the rebels were hunted down like dogs.

11vladrebsbeaten.png

The battle for control of Ryazan (the country, not the province) was a short one. Two Tverian armies were more than sufficient to convince the new Principality’s hastily recruited fighting force to surrender. While Bryańsk held out for a year, there was never any doubt over the eventual result.

12bryanskfalls.png

The former prince went into exile in Solikamsk, and his bastard son had an unfortunate accident on the stairs of a previously well-reputed butcher’s shop. While the claim to the throne was that of Princess Maria, many in the new state recognised the need for a strong, unified Russian state to face the Tartars. Theerfore, it was agreed that while the day-to-day business of running Ryazan was to be that of Maria, her husband Prince Mikhael (heir to the throne of Tver), and their government, the state was to act in conjunction with the principality of Tver, and Konstantin was to be established as nominal of both Tver and Ryazan. Birth rate amongst Ryazanian minor aristocracy multiplied, clearly a divine sanction of the union of the crowns.

13ryazanPUformed.png

Even better news reached Konstantin’s ears soon after. Dobczyński’s organisation of the colonial project in Mogilyov had been flawless, and the Province was now fully under Tverian control.

14Mogdefects.png

A glorious day came soon after, one which would be immortalised in the annals of the Empire of Tver as a national feast day: The Day of Vengeance.

15GHpaytribute.png

Finally, the ghosts of the Principality’s defeats and humiliations at the hands of the tartars were exorcised forever.

The Steppe Hprdes, though, had not finished with Tver.

16kazappear.png

The Golden Horde was collapsing, losing territory on all fronts. In the east and south-east, their capitulations were to other Steppe Hordes, and the province of Bolgar – bordering Tverian territory – was overrun and taken by the soldiers of Kazakh.

Seeking to head off this threat immediately, Tverian troops from the eastern army crossed the border. The Principality did not have the resources to take any territory from this new band of heathens, but they would need to be weakened enough that they would accept a truce. The expeditionary force rapidly secured control of Bolgar. However, a Kazakh counter-attack caught the army unawares and, while they inflicted heavy losses on the enemy, the Tverian commander decided to retreat lest more enemies arrive.

17battleinbolgarretreat.png

The wisdom of his decision as soon revealed. The Kazakhs completely overran the Tartar territory to the south of Tver, and seized control over the entire region.

18kazakhtakeGHlands.png

Drunk on success – and Crimean wines – the Kazakh sought to make their first advances into Christan-held territory. However, the Tverian were made of much sterner stuff than the demoralised tartars they were used to fighting, and their assault force was rapidly repulsed.

19bitwakazanwin.png

Konstantin celebrated the victory by allowing Vladimirov to have a slightly bigger, more comfortable chair than other cabinet ministers. What harm could it do?

20politicalcrisis.png

Peace, however, was to finally return to Tver as the Kazakhs asked for a truce. While the Tverians would have been able to make advances into this new foe, it was time for rest and consolidation. The army had been fighting solidly for a decade, but the gains were substantial: two more provinces, and the crown of Ryazan.

21kazpax.png

The cartographers complained that the nation’s name was still lop-sided, a matter that would have to be sorted by further European advances. Aesthetics aside, however, Konstantin was a happy man. And Tver was a happy nation.

22nowytwer.png

Roman Vladimirov was busy with important matters of state, ensuring the proper running of the Tverian government.

at least he's not showing any interest in his heart?

in general things are going pretty well and you've done a good job keeping the concept of Ryazan apart from the physical location of Ryazan. Really the only problem is that Tver has gone ... well the only way to say this is .... ahem ... a bit floppy ... in that last map