• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ loki100: Yes, the Ottos are doing much the same thing. I reckon they'll be my neighbours before too long. The problem is that I don't have enough money, at the moment, to run both a large army and large-scale colonising. If Paradox want the Russians to be the ones who colonise the GH, why not give Orthodox countries, say 1/3 cheaper colonists? Nizhny Novgorod have owned aprovince for about ten years, but haven't done anything because, I assume, they can't afford the colonists.

In fact, I think I might mod that in for future games...

@ Omen: Precisely! Friendly people are shifty.

@ RGB: Of course they are, why else would they be a Tribal Federation? Who wants to be a Tribe?

@ morningSIDEr: A Rurikovich Emperor would be amazing - what dynasty would be better qualified? But as you say, even though things have become a bit easier, these are still dangerous times. The sharks, they swim.

@ Chief Ragusa: Don't worry, I won't even have the option of forming Russia until I get Moscow. Even then, though, I'm enjoying being Tver too much, so I probably won't. It'll depend on the character of whoever is in charge at that point :)

The problem is that I don't have enough money, at the moment, to run both a large army and large-scale colonising. If Paradox want the Russians to be the ones who colonise the GH, why not give Orthodox countries, say 1/3 cheaper colonists?

Novgrodian North America, anyone? Well, Russia did own Alaska at one point (one Siberian native, asked by one of the USSR officials why does he hate America answered "they bought Alaska, but didn't buy Siberia" ;))

Novgrodian North America, anyone? Well, Russia did own Alaska at one point (one Siberian native, asked by one of the USSR officials why does he hate America answered "they bought Alaska, but didn't buy Siberia" ;))

It is a potential side-effect, but I don't think it would cause any problems in most games: they're still highly unlikely to reach the New World before the Latins unless they go berserk and colonise everything via China ;) Just a thought, anyway - I have a big problem with the fact that Nizhny Nov have been occupying a province for about ten years now and haven't colonised it, I presume due to a lack of funds.

Episode XXII: Those Tver The Days, My Friend

While it would take decades for the Ukrainian region to be fully integrated into the Principality, its acquisition was nevertheless a significant coup – especially the ancient, rich city of Kiev. Tverian gains had come thick and fast in recent years, gaining great prestige for Prince Konstantin. Across Europe and into Asia, kings and Sultans were beginning to take notice of this emerging power – and many did not like what they saw.

Konstantin looked up from his correspondence as Seamus Arkadiusz Dobczyński entered, and saluted.

‘Sir.’

‘Dobczyński. You have seen to it that our national focus has been moved to Ukraine?’

‘Yes, sir. Also gave me an excuse to get rid of that idiot Vladimirov. His new office is there, complete with stuffed tigers and so on.’

1natfocuskijow.png

‘Oh. How does he like it?’

‘He is considering local investment opportunities. Offered to finance a new scouting unit for the local militia – the Rangers, he wished to call them.’

‘Good name.’

‘I thought so, sir. Let’s just hope he doesn’t lead them into financial ruin.’

‘I’m sure they will flourish under his administration.’

‘On the downside, sir, Lord Boblikov is angered at your reduction of his pension.’

‘These are harsh times.’

‘He appreciates that, sir, but he says that he will now only be able to build four black-marble castles instead of three. And his wife will have to make do with seven tiger fur coats a month.’

2noblesincreasepensions.png

‘Get him to send her my way. I’ll give her some tiger.’

‘Your generosity is matched only by your prowess, sir.’ Dobczyński turned as a messenger ran into the room, straightening his uniform.

‘My Prince! The five years are up! We are once more at war with the Golden Horde!’

3hordeattack.png

Dobczyński turned to Konstantin. ‘We’re ready for them, sir. We have the troops, we have the money for colonising – and they have territories that would be useful to us.’

‘I agree, Mr Dobczyński. To battle!’

That very day, Prince Konstantin and Dobczyński rode for the eastern provinces. Within a few weeks, the attack was ready, and half the Tverian army advanced on Idnakar, looking to secure its valuable iron deposits.

4attackidnakar.png

The Tverians surrounded the city and laid siege. Mighty catapults were erected, and began battering at the high walls. Two weeks later, another rider reached the Prince with a message from the Hochmesietr of Riga.

5rigawarning.png

Konstantin’s eyes widened. ‘What?’

‘Riga are talking nonsense, sir. Ignore them.’

‘I will not ignore them! This is an insult! The Horde has brought us war these last hundred and twenty years, and as soon as we gain the upper hand, they accuse us of aggression? The swine!’

‘Sir, they are nothing. If we want to we could crush them at any time.’

‘I do not care. They have insulted me! I shall show them. Show them my strength! I am Rurikovich!’

‘You are, sir.’

‘Grandson of Aleksandr the Bear! A warrior to my very core. I shall show them...right! Sound the attack!’

‘The attack, sir?’

‘Yes, damn you, the attack! We have weakened their fortifications, have we not?’

‘Yes, sir, greatly. The main guard tower is ready to come down, but I think...’

‘You think, Dobczyński! That is your problem! You think when you should act! War is like a buxom wench, to be acted upon, not thought upon! Today is a day for action!’ He draw his sword, the blade glinting in the morning sun.

‘At least wait for infantry support!’ Dobczyński turned to the assembled soldiers. ‘Ustyug’s Second Pike Regiment, into the breach!’

‘What? That gang of regicides! Never! Leave them outside!’

‘What about Pusia? She might come in useful.’

‘I trust those bastards as far as I can throw them, and that beast even less! Get them to hold the perimeter, and chain that creature up outside. I need no support! My men will follow my example! Their defences are broken, sons of Tver! Now is our time!’

‘Sir, I really don’t...’

‘Dobczyński, Dobczyński, Dobczyński.’ He sighed. ‘The defenders are cowering, their fortifications are crumbling.’ He shook his regal head.

‘What could possibly go wrong?’

52pointingsword.png

53upthestairs.png

54corridor.png

55triumphantpose.png

56probs.png

57moreprobs.png

58uhoh.png

59falling.png

510.png

511.png

6newking.png

MIKHAELIII.png

Last edited:
Not the first time Ustyug's 2nd Pikes are responsible for killing a king... :)

Very Wile E. Coyote! He only needed a sign that said "Help!"

Great stuff!

Reading the first part made me think that Konstantin would win the siege, as there is nothing more ironic then someone succiding after a "what could go wrong" :p

And for some reason I suspect that the book Mikhail is reading is Machiavelli's Prince. Hell, with these stats it's certainly possible that it was Mikhael who offended the Bishop of Riga so he sent a warning that made Konstantin even less cautious then he usually was. Besides, who arranged Pusia to be tied under the hole in the wall?

Hmmm.. now I sound like Konstantin :D

But he was right about not trusting the tiger, could it be that he was right about Mikhail as well?

The expression when poor Konstantin realised he wouldn't make the jump. Perfection.

‘I’m sure they will flourish under his administration.’

Simply brilliant.

‘You think, Dobczyński! That is your problem! You think when you should act! War is like a buxom wench, to be acted upon, not thought upon! Today is a day for action!’ He draw his sword, the blade glinting in the morning sun.

The wonderful thing is, I'm never quite sure of which 'sword' he has drawn in this context. Especially as he was just speaking of buxom wenches.

So passes Konstantin, much to the regret of many women throughout the realm, onwards now to the reign of Mikhael!

@ GoldenKhan: I hope he lives long...but given his brilliance, I wouldn't be putting any money on it :( Not any of my own, anyway.

@ loki100: Aye, how will we ever survive without them and the positive contribution they make to our country?

@ Vrael_1492: Coincidence, surely :cool:

@ DeadeyeDave: He is rather dapper. I found a nice shade of green for his clothes, so I think he could be good fun. It's all about the clothes with the Rurikoviches!

@ Extreme Unction and Avindian: Who else would he take lessons from than the master? I just need to try and get an anvil into the AAR at some point.

@ Omen: It is now :)

@ Memento Mori: He is indeed a student of Machiavelli :D As to whether he was responsible or not...well, we will never truly know. History is written by the man who didn't get eaten by a tiger.

@ morningSIDEr: Konstantin was a skilled bladesman in every sense - and, yes, his demise is a loss to all ladies of Tver (and a surprisingly high proportion of men as well). (Perhaps not that surprising, actually).

Episode XXIII: Tvers Just Wanna Have Fun

‘All I’m saying, sir, is that it doesn’t send the right message.’

Mikhael III Rurikovich, Prince of Tver and Ryazan, smiled at Dobczyński.

‘The wrong message, Dobczyński? Quite the opposite. I believe in second chances. That the sinner can amend his ways and return to the path of honesty and loyal service.’

‘All very noble, sir. But she ate your brother.’

Mikhael looked down to the orange Siberian tiger who was draped lazily on the floor beside his chair. His right hand continued to scribble away with his quill. The left was juggling a quartet of ornamental rocks. The new Prince of Tver was a man of fearsome competence.

‘I know, Dobczyński. A tragedy if there ever was one. But it was a misunderstanding, wasn’t it Puśka? You wouldn’t normally eat anyone, would you?’

Pusia raised her head, looked at Mikhael, and fluttered her eyelids in an excellent approximation of innocence.

‘There we go, see?’

Dobczyński sighed. ‘So you don’t think that the adoption of Ustyug’s Second Pike Regiment as your personal guard makes it look like you approve of the deaths of your brothers?’

‘Not at all Dobczyński.’ Mikhael leaned back in his chair, the frame creaking. ‘They have shown themselves to be excellent soldiers. They have adopted the sobriquet ‘”Bane of Princes.”’

‘Not specifying whose Princes?’

‘Why would we do that? Spoil the whole thing. Now then. To work, Dobczyński! I’ve always respected you. Managed to keep my believed brother’s extreme behaviours in order. And it’s lovely to be back in Tver. Ryazan...just isn’t them same.’

‘I’m glad to have you back, sir, in spite of the...circumstances...’ He cast another unwary look at Pusia. She grinned. Teeth glinted.

‘These are complicated times, Dobczyński. Times of change. The stability that you provide will be invaluable. I need a firm hand.’

‘Always happy to provide a hand, sir – though I think that you are more than firm enough myself.’

‘Firm but gentle, Dobczyński.’

‘Naturally.’

‘As Machiavelli says, it is important to be loved as well as feared, and I intend to be both.’

‘You are already, sir.’

‘Splendid! Right. Charts! Maps! Progress!’

1idnakartaken.png

The Idnakar region was firmly under Tverian control. However, its remoteness meant that a colonisation effort would be almost impossible, and Mikhael had chosen to save efforts in this regard for when a more local and more worthy prize was taken.

Within the week, even better news came.

2samarataken.png

The rich city of Samara, and its surrounding gold mines, had fallen into Tverian hands. This was the prime target that Mikhael had been seeking, and he ordered Dobczyński to immediately take charge of the colonisation efforts.

Matters, though, were about to become more complicated. The Steppe Hordes of Kazakh had appeared at the Tverian border once again, their scouts ranging into outlying towns.

The map alarmed Dobczyński. ‘Apparently they own Europe, sir!’

3herecomekazwhoowneurope.png

Within months, though, better news arrived. The colonisation of Samara had gone quickly and smoothly, and the region was now fyully integrated into the Principality of Tver.

4samaradefects.png

The capture of Samara did have one drawback, however: it gave Tver a land border with the Nogai, a third Steppe Horde with a suitably hideous colour scheme. This enemy would have to be swiftly dealt with, but there were many higher-priority targets. As such, major advances against the Nogai would have to wait until a later time.

5herecomenogai.png

Tver’s territory was large and powerful, but their current troops numbers would be inadequate were they to fight on three fronts. The war with the Horde would need to be swiftly concluded to allow Tver to deal with these new enemies.

6tverandhordes.png

The next region to fall was Perm, and Dobczyński was saddened that they had been unable to take his city during the reign of the more aesthetically-minded Konstantin. Mikhael was a handsome man, but he didn’t quite have their hair.

7permcolonising.png

Mikhael decreed that their mission to colonise Idnakar would be shelved: it was poor territory a huge distance from their heartland. The Prime Minister suggested a highly original and interesting new objective for the country.

8missionsbadtoworse.png

Further internal unrest was to follow. The city of Mogilyov had been facing sectarian troubles for some time. The leader of the local militia force had been the first to openly denounce Orthodoxy and embrace the Lutheran church. He had was arrested, and convicted of breach of the peace. A firing squad was rapidly assembled, before someone pointed out that they hadn’t invented guns yet. Protestantism spread unchecked through the surrounding countryside until the clergy themselves openly came out in support of Luther’s ideologies.

9mogconverts.png

The city of Vladimir, meanwhile, was still a hotbed of religious trouble, with further Sunni uprisings triggered by aggressive attempts to convert the populace back to Orthodox Christianity.

10sunnizealotsvlad.png

The Tverian army was overstretched, and the Nogai were able to storm the defences of Samara, and capture the city.

11nogaitakesamara.png

The moment that the Tverians had been waiting for, though, finally arrived, as they were able to consolidate control of Perm and its surrounding districts.

12permdefects.png

Recent expansions had once more increased the size of the Principality, giving them a strong foothold in Steppe Horde territory, with a great deal of room for expansion.

13newtver.png

The Khan of Kazakh offered Mikhael a chance to surrender and pay tribute, even though Tver was clearly in the stronger position. The return messenger walked into the Kahn’s hall, shook his head sadly, and left, though not before relieving himself in most enthusiastic fashion into an ornamental fountain.

14sillykazakhoffer.png

With Perm under Tver’s control, the main eastern army advanced on Samara, and rapidly retook the city from the Nogai.

15samararetaken.png

Seeing the Tverians surrounded by enemies, greedy Catholic eyes began to probe the Principality for weaknesses. The Danes went even further, sending a formal warning to Mikhael. A bucket of frogs was dispatched in return, along with an order for ten thousand toy bricks for the royal nursery.

16warnedbyDK.png

Keen to knock one opponent out of the war, Mikhael ordered Dobczyński to take the fight to the Nogai. The Uralsk region was swiftly taken.

17uralsktaken.png

The Nogai were left with little choice but to concede defeat, Mikhael happy to see them go: for the moment, he had no interest in their land, only their surrender.

18nogconcede.png

Tver’s army reformer, Nazariah Kholmsky, had published a highly influential treatise on warfare and military tactics. The invention of the printing press allowed copies to circulate freely. With the population at large occupied, Mikhael decided to change the country’s priorities.

‘I like art, Dobczyński. We have enough colonists for our current needs – we are restricted by money, not manpower.’

‘I always say that you can’t have too much man power, sir.’

‘That may be, Dobczyński...but I wish change. To promote a flourishing of painting and sculpture. I shall be a Patron of the Arts!’

19nazariykholmskyPotAchange.png

Thus, did the Principality take a new course through history, encouraging the development of the arts and attracting great painters from Italy and the Netherlands. Fresh challenges lay ahead but, with the threat from the Hordes reduced, Mikhael prioritised the creation of a country that would present mankind with gifts of art and culture that would last until the end of time.

Last edited:
‘The wrong message, Dobczyński? Quite the opposite. I believe in second chances. That the sinner can amend his ways and return to the path of honesty and loyal service.’

‘All very noble, sir. But she ate your brother.’

Mikhael looked down to the orange Siberian tiger who was draped lazily on the floor beside his chair. .

superb opening, and the perm joke was a gem too & ... you're going all arty too

Mikhael certainly is a man of the arts. Well versed in diplomacy, his diplomats kindly refilling ornamental fountains and he sending carefully chosen gifts to Denmark and now scuplture and painting is to be expected from Tver. I can well imagine what kind of sculptures and paintings! Good that you have dealt with Nogai pretty handily, hopefully you can polish off the Horde soon, there are too many uppity Catholic nations needing to be put in there place.

Patron of the Arts gives you lots of nice freebies such as +2 to innovation (so if you are planning to westernise it really helps with the speed at which you can get the sliders correct), the wave of innovation event (10% off all tech costs) and goodies such as very cheap (500 ducat) universities and fine art galleries. its one of those NIs that looks a bit pointless but has lots of nice hidden advantages.