+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is this even historically plausible?

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Is this even historically plausible?

The Papal States have a demesne of 9 provinces, and Toscana is their vassal, so they aren't weak. Not sure how this happened.

Bad mojo Supermoderator Veldmaarschalk's Avatar
    77 games registered

200k clubCrusader Kings IIV2 BetaCK2: Holy Knight500k club

I would say it is very historical

Commune of Rome

A Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIDarkest HourEast India Company Collection
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneMajesty 2March of the EaglesVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome
    Semper FiSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandWar of the RosesCK2: Holy KnightKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by Veldmaarschalk View Post

Commune of Rome
    Well that's interesting.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Besides the Commune of Rome there were many other occasions when popes had serious troubles with the Roman nobility and Roman people, who weren't always willing to obey the popes. The medieval politics in Rome were so complex with political plots and riots that it would offer a fine setting for a strategy or roleplaying game.
    "Reddite ergo quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo."

-Iesus Nazarenus

Play Like A Champion Today Yakman's Avatar
    Deus Vult500k club

Blog Entries

Commune of Rome
    utterly fascinating.
    "Again again I say to you, Yakman speaketh the truth. -Petrarca
    Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth -- Pablo Picasso
    ++ -1000, History-Forum Banned 5 january 2006 ++ OT-Forum Banned 8 may 2007 ++
    OT-Unbanned 24 may 2014

It would be cool to play as Rome...

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron III500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Commune of Rome
    Huh. You learn something new each day.
    I actually have AARs:
    Crazy Councilors and Mad Meetings - Dead (but with an ending) due to corruption
    We are our Worst Enemy

Ok, what is this?

I'd say yes even without checking that link,since the papacy and the HRE are the fakers tbh.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDiplomacyDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    SengokuSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Quote Originally Posted by MihaiROU View Post
    I'd say yes even without checking that link,since the papacy and the HRE are the fakers tbh.
    The conflict wasn't about someone being a faker. It was about who holds the secular power in Rome. Rebels declared themselves as the Roman Senate and while they denied temporal (but not spiritual) power of the Pope they recognised the (Holy) Roman emperor.

You have to remember that these people had very different ideological and historical perspective and often what seems fake to us was very real to them. In this case everyone who was involved considered themselves as the rightful successors of the Ancient Rome.
    "Reddite ergo quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo."

-Iesus Nazarenus

+ Reply to Thread