• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

T.j. Arnold

Ex-Patriot
118 Badges
Nov 11, 2010
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • East India Company Collection
  • Victoria 2 A House Divided Beta
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Divine Wind
  • Sengoku
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Darkest Hour
  • Iron Cross
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Hearts of Iron: The Card Game
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Semper Fi
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • War of the Roses
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Diplomacy
This feature was promised to be included in the 1.2 patch, but it doesn't appear like it was.

So, is there an option in one of the configuration file that let's you change the binding from Pause Break to the Space Bar?

It's just such an awkward location to have a button you need to press so often...

For me is even worse, my pause button is close to the onoff button on my keybord. Ive been pressing wrong button 2 or 3 times when staying up late and realy to tired to play. No save just close whole machine. Hehe so irritating ;O)

Trying to manually modify it in the buttons.txt doesn't work as well as far as I can tell. When I make it the space bar, it works but now I can't make spaces when naming a fleet or army

It's already possible since patch 1.02beta2 (and obviously also in patch 1.02final).
You have to edit the entry for the Pause button in DH\config\buttons.txt with the following code:

press = {
id = "BUTTON_PAUSE"
bitmap = "empty.bmp"
background = "pause_button.bmp"
shortcut = "space"
lower = "BUTTON_0050"
upper = ""
}

In bold what you need to add.

Reactions:
For me is even worse, my pause button is close to the onoff button on my keybord. Ive been pressing wrong button 2 or 3 times when staying up late and realy to tired to play. No save just close whole machine. Hehe so irritating ;O)
Try having your computer placed under your desk in such a fashion that when you're absent-mindedly moving your foot, you press on the case in just the right way to turn the computer off without pressing any buttons.

So much rage. And thanks for posting that AC, I was wondering about how to change that as well.

No, no sir. I'd rather my pause button REMAIN the Pause/Break button. Why? Well I like renaming my units and I've gotten my right hand to a position that can deal with the space bar, return and pause button without really moving. Playing since HoI:II ARMA helps :p

Still, I'd rather not have the Space Bar = Pause forced upon me. Feel free to make it an option in the launcher, and I'll never complain.

No, no sir. I'd rather my pause button REMAIN the Pause/Break button. Why? Well I like renaming my units and I've gotten my right hand to a position that can deal with the space bar, return and pause button without really moving. Playing since HoI:II ARMA helps :p

Still, I'd rather not have the Space Bar = Pause forced upon me. Feel free to make it an option in the launcher, and I'll never complain.

Space bar within the unit name screen doesn't change the pause/play status of the game. Outside of that field though it should allow for an additional button to pause the game. It shouldn't replace the pause/break button.

Space bar within the unit name screen doesn't change the pause/play status of the game. Outside of that field though it should allow for an additional button to pause the game. It shouldn't replace the pause/break button.

Yes, exactly! I am always hitting the space bar to pause because nearly every other game uses space == pause.

Since you'll probably hit the pause button 1000 times per game and maybe never ever rename a division, this is probably the best modding job there is in DH. Pause on space, everything else is weird.

Reactions:
Reactions:
Every 3 years a good hint should be resurrected, necromancer-style.

Its been 3 years already so.. LIVE YOU SHAAAALL

and for renaming your armies you can use this : instead of pressing space you press Alt key down then type 0157 on your NumPad then release the Alt key.

its the symbol code for a "half space" character so you might have to do that twice to get a full one. somehow the original space code "0160" dosent work and you get a "!" instead

Reactions: