• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

kevml27

Second Lieutenant
97 Badges
Apr 23, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
Okay, so I'm moving through Paradoxian's LP, and the Duke of Saxony has just become a Cathar. He reeeally wants to be a Catholic again, but it seems as though he has to lower his piety by over 100 points to do that. Is there a specific way to lower your own piety to become a Catholic again? Or...does he just have to die a Cathar?

Depends how piety is defined I think, Orinsul. I haven't watched the LP, but you'd think that he went to zero upon converting to Catharism, and everything he's built up since then is "Cathar piety" rather than "Catholic piety." So it makes sense he has to stop believing in Catharism some in order to return to the Catholic fold. If it didn't drop to zero (or almost zero) when he converted, then I agree with you, it might need some tweaking.

Depends how piety is defined I think, Orinsul. I haven't watched the LP, but you'd think that he went to zero upon converting to Catharism, and everything he's built up since then is "Cathar piety" rather than "Catholic piety." So it makes sense he has to stop believing in Catharism some in order to return to the Catholic fold. If it didn't drop to zero (or almost zero) when he converted, then I agree with you, it might need some tweaking.

It did not. It was stable around(ish) 150 I believe. Then he went to see if he could re-convert, and he needed piety LESS than 50.

If I recall correctly from the videos, piety is just devotion to your religion, whatever that religion is. It's not a stat unique to mainline Catholicism or Orthodox religions. So his character was pious in general, it's just he changed religion by (totally random from what I recall) event. The lower piety requirement was for a specific action to realign his religion with that of his liege, the HRE. But you can't be all that pious if you're just up and switching religion by fiat. It's quirky, but it makes a certain sort of logic.